Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils
Liked This Beer
3.76 w/ 3,665 ratings
Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Liked:
3.76/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,665 |  Reviews: 1,513
1.57/5  rDev -58.2%

1.63/5  rDev -56.6%

I bought this after hearing my uncle rave about it. I won't be trusting his beer advice again.

I should first disclose that I have had very few Sam Adams beers that I had much liking for, nor have I ever been fond of pilsners, but I think I gave this a fair shake.

Pours a rather unimpressive yellow, with next to no head into a 19oz. pilsner glass. Aroma is very faint hops and a sort of chemically smell I sometimes find in beers I subsequently dislike.

The taste is initially sharply hoppy, though very one dimensionally so, followed by a weak, watery flavor not unlike, if I remember correctly, yellow macro brews. This is further followed by a nasty chemically aftertaste that doesn't appear to go away. There is not much else to say about it, other than that I have a tight beer budget, and $9 for a six pack of this is a big waste of it.

1.64/5  rDev -56.4%

I am utterly shocked and perplexed by the beeradvocate.com score for this beer. I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but I do really enjoy their hallertauer pilsener. That gave me hope for this brew. Alas, this beer is wretched.

Pours a light golden color. Big white foam head. I was perhaps expecting less yellow, more gold.

Smells like crisp, chemical laden bread, some cleaning solvents that perhaps double as noble-esque hops, and a weird mineral pungency.

Taste is really nasty. The yeast and chemical/solvent background make this utterly unpalatable. A pilsener, in my mind, should be "clean," crisp, offer some mineral zest with a sharp, tangy yeast/break background. This is just unpleasantly jumbled and ... I must throw that word out there again ... chemical flavored.

AVoid.

1.75/5  rDev -53.5%

1.89/5  rDev -49.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Serving: Bottle with a BB date of 5/11.. Poured into a Pilsner style glass for an authentic test.

Appearance: Light straw with a snow white cap. It poured well and maintained a reasonable head.

Smell: First whiff gave some promise. Nice crisp hoppiness at the outset. Just what I was expecting. Then...strangely...the aroma almost disappeared!

Taste: Wow! What a disappointment. Very watered down tasting. Like dishwater. I really tried to get something here. Nope...just bland.

Mouthfeel: Less than average. Watery. No hop bitterness to speak of.

Drinkability: Very poor. I had a hard time with this one. Even my wife did not like it. She felt it worse than a Miller Lite! I dumped this and went to another brew to gain some enjoyment for this session.

Overall: I went into this very open minded. I have not had much from Sam Adams that I care for. But given the availability, ratings, and price of this one...I really wanted it to become my "go to" Pilsner. No way. I even tried this 3 different times to really be sure. This stuff is bad. I'll be giving the last 3 away.

1.9/5  rDev -49.5%

I was very disappointed with this beer. I was expecting something comparable to an Urquell; instead it was nothing more than a typical American pilsener-lager, along the lines of a Budweiser or Miller. There was very little in the nose except for some citrusy hops. One would think it would have quite an aroma considering they put five different hops in it. (Actually, I don't know why anyone would want to put so many different varieties in unless it's just a gimmick, which I suspect it is.) The appearance was rather pallid, though it had a good head. The mouth feel was extremely light, and the taste was hardly there, with very little malt to speak of. Though it was smooth, there really was no body, no smell, and no taste. I expected better from Sam Adams, but I guess this is what happens when a brewery starts to get too big.

1.92/5  rDev -48.9%

Wow, I just can't get past the horrible, long-lasting aftertaste. Even my wife who only drinks pilsners had a hard time even finishing one. Looking forward to Fall so I can try another seasonal brew from Samuel Adams. This Spring selection misses the mark IMO.

1.98/5  rDev -47.3%

A: Pale yellow straw color with a white head. Completely clear with visible carbonation. Surprisingly, I see a few alcohol feet.
S: Bread, some sweetness, no hop character. Smells like a typical adjunct American Lager. Not offensive, but bordering on bad.
T: A little bitterness, mostly I get grain and vegetal flavors. For a beer brewed with all five noble hops, you wonder where they are in here.
M: Alright mouthfeel. Crisp, light bodied, a bit of a dry finish, moderate carbonation.
D: Due to the lackluster quality of this beer, I have to give it a low drinkability.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 62.9% out of 100 with 3,665 ratings