Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Reviews: 1,489 | Ratings: 3,571
2.72/5  rDev -29.5%

I am a HUGE Sam Adams fan and this was an utter disappointment. It smells good and makes me think of spring, but when I tasted it I did not get that feeling. Its much lighter in color than I expected and not as sweet. The mouthfeel is not as good as other Sam Adams beers and the drinkability is much less. I recommend most Sam Adams beers, but not this one.

Cheers!

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: thick straw yellow with thin lacing on top.

Smell: Light hops scent and this wired spaghetti scent.

Taste: Spaghetti, grass, citrus, and a mild pine flavor along with some pilsner malt. Phenols dominate the finish.

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

This beer pours a clear, gold color with 1/8 inch head and some lasting lace. The aroma is mostly citrus leaning toward lemon with hints of bread. The flavor has notes of lemon, grass, and a good balance between malt and hops. It's mouthfeel is light-medium and drinkability good. Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a decent beer and was a great match for nacho chips and queso. Recommended.

2.74/5  rDev -29%

I had a glass of this while visiting the Boston Brewery and loved it. So when I returned home I went out and bought 12, mistake.

The beer pours nicely, clear golden straw colored with a pretty typical 1" fizzy head which disappeard in a flash. Mildly aromatic, floral, citrus notes, was expecting more. The aroma was just slightly "off".

I read in another review that it tasted like stale Corona, Wow that pegged it. I did like the nice dry finish but that isn't enough to save the experience

As a side note I originally tried this beer on a tour of the Brewery and it hadn't been released yet and when it showed up on the shelf in my local store I was really looking forward to the experience. I was truly disappointed in its flavor. I thought maybe I just had gotten a bad lot, so I deceided to try it again last week and purchased another batch. Same results.

2.76/5  rDev -28.5%

On-tap at Red Robin in Bethel Park, PA; poured into a 16-ounce shaker pint glass.

A: Clear bright yellow with a greenish tinge to it; some spotty white head and just a few spots of lacing, along with a few carbonation bubbles streaming through it.

S: Light grassy hops and a bit of indistinguishable sweet malts. Not a big fan of this smell; it's weak, but more importantly, it's not particularly enjoyable.

T: Taste packs a large punch both for the style and considering the weak smell; a dominant flavor of freshly cut grass, which is far more intense than I expected. So crisp it's hard to think that this kind of taste was produced by "fermentation." Sweet malts also show up once again; they're so light and sweet that they taste almost like corn, although I know this isn't the case.

M: Thin-bodied and well carbonated; crisp and dry.

D: I was not a big fan of the overly grassy and unbalanced flavor, which stopped this one from going down as quickly as it could have for the style.

2.81/5  rDev -27.2%

A: Pours a clear, light yellow color. Little head, retention or lacing. Looks well carbonated. Looks like a fizzy yellow beer to me.

S: It has a very faint hops aroma. By saying they used all 5 noble hops varieties, I expected more hops in the aroma.

T: It tastes OK. Like I said of the aroma, I expected more flavor from the hops. It's only there in a light way. I also pick up some lemony flavor.

M: It feels very light and crisp in the mouth, with moderate carbonation. This would make a good summer beer.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. As with most Sam Adams beers, it would be easy to drink several without noticing.

This beer looks good for the style, but is missing a lot of hops character in the nose & mouth, especially since they push the fact that they use 5 types of hops.

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured from bottle into pub style glass.

Appearance- Deep gold in color. Fluffy meringue white head that sticks around for a good bit, leaving lots of lacing down the glass.

Nose- Yeasty, hops, bitter

Taste- I don't know what it is with Sam Adams and me. I always get a very similar taste with all of their beers. I think its their hops that I really get a taste of and this beer is no exception. Citrusy and fruity. Refreshing, but nonetheless very similar to their regular Boston Lager.

Mouthfeel- Smooth with a bite of carbonation on the finish. You can always feel the hops kick your tastebuds with Sam Adams.

Overall- A fairly decent beer. But all the same, just tastes like a Sam Adams to me. Which isn't bad.

2.84/5  rDev -26.4%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear medium yellow with a one finger head quickly settling into a thin cap.

Noble hops are definitely present in the nose providing a pleasant floral note along with a little bit of citrus and cut grass. Also a little yeast is present.

The taste has more floral hops up front along with a yeastyness that is typical of pretty much every Sam Adams beer I have had. There is really not much malt character or breadiness which I would expect to be present in a pils. Mouthfeel is somewhat sticky, not crisp and drying.

Overalll I am pretty disappointed with this. There is way too much yeast and not enough bread. It is also just not crisp enough to be really refreshing. There are much better pilseners out there and I probably won't be picking this up again.

2.86/5  rDev -25.9%

Reviewed on 2/2/2010. Bottle. Pours a clear deep yellow with a small white head. Aroma of citrus, light fruit, grainy malt. Flavor of grainy, crackery malt with a touch of light fruits and iced tea. Meh, just don't really like the flavor of this one (didn't really like it when it was Sample A either).

2.87/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

January 2011 bottle - Freshness date April 2011

A: Sparkling clear, light golden straw colored

S: Lacking compared to the 2010 release. Hops much more muted, no big hop nose...

T: Nice malt taste, good bitterness. Hop flavor missing compared to previous year release...disappointed

M: medium body, good carbonation, nice hop bitterness on back of tongue

D: Good, although based on the difference in hop nose from last years, I would go to a Victory Prima Pils if I wanted a big hoppy pilsner

2.88/5  rDev -25.4%

12 oz. bottle. No bottled on date. Poured into a Boulevard tulip.

A - Typical golden lager color. Tall eggshell colored head recedes quickly. Very clear with a steady stream of bubbles rushing to the top.

S - Very minimal hop smell. Smells like what I imagine a lager with some lemon squeezed into it would be like.

T - The most minimal hop bite ever is present, but that's really all you can ask for considering this beer is a lager. Not heavy on the hops. Still, enjoyable nonetheless.

M - Mouthfeel retains itself well. I'd almost say it is a slightly resinous beer, which is a nice change of pace when everyone else around you seems to be drinking mass-marketed trill

Overall, it was a nice change of pace, but I would probably opt for an IPA myself. Still highly drinkable stuff, and in the case of being a pilsner it is a great beer.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils ---3/5

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had the noble pils on draft a little while back and didn't care for it too much, but decided to get a 6'er to reconsider. I don't like the name, to the point of feeling dumb ordering it. Of course this is going to taste better and have more hop character than the mainstream "pilsners" but it has trouble competing with the likes of Prima Pils and even Penn Pilsner (full disclosure: drowning your sorrows in a Penn Pilsner at PNC Park on a nice night is, for my money, the ultimate pilsner experience). I might even trade it back in for the Spring Ale.

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Has a great amber/vanilla look with a very sustainable head when poured. Noticeable carbonation.

S: Not very distinguishable and rather mellow

T: Hints of almond and the carbonation really stood out.

M: Very dry and left a slight haze on the tongue. Not very pleasant after a while

D: Easy to drink partially due to its blandness yet can be a very good casual, session beer.

2.91/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sam Adams – I’ve had a few of their brews, and I’ve never really been impressed with them. However, after a rather long radio advertisement and a recommendation from one of my buddies, I decided to give Noble Pils a shot. Here it goes:

A: The body is a thing of shining, golden beauty. The head is big and bold, but recedes quickly. I could literally stare at this beer for minutes at a time – it’s beautiful.

S: Lots of hops in the nose; they’re fruity and intense. This is what I would expect from a nice, hoppy craft brew.

T: Definitely not as good as the nose – wow, what a difference. The fruitiness is still there, in the form of light pear and apple; not very memorable, though, as it fades rather quickly. The wheats are satisfying at first, but it’s hard to miss the processed/sour taste. The hops are the saving grace here, taking a proper stance in the palate toward the finish. I loved the fact that there’s a nice hop character to this brew; this beer would have definitely been a complete bomb for me without it.

M: The carbonation is pretty typical; a bit of greasiness here and there, but overall, pretty average.

O: Well, this was just about what I expected from Sam Adams. It just has a feel that I don't think I'll ever be alright with: crude, non-natural. That’s not to say it was terrible, but I definitely won’t be going out of my way for this one. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

2.91/5  rDev -24.6%

Bottle date states its best before May.

Appearance: pours into my Ommegang glass a clear golden color with extremely fine bubbles rising from the bottom, an extremely thin coating on the surface of the beer as far as the head goes.

Smell: first to hit my nose is the aroma of a bitter citrus fruit, followed by the familiar smell I associate with a Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Taste: a bitter hops taste dominates this beer, then I get the typical pilsner flavor, then there is also a yeasty aftertaste that really hangs around for a while in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: a little watery, but still not bad.

Drinkability: it is nice to see a lighter style of beer use a good amount of hops in it, that said I would have liked for there to have been a more balanced hops taste rather than just achieving a bitter flavor in the brew, I cannot detect any significant piney or floral hop taste/smell and I would have preferred a mixture of these tastes. Overall still a good beer if your at a barbeque or enjoying the warm weather somewhere.

2.91/5  rDev -24.6%

I had this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a clear gold, lots of carbonation, with a finger of white head. The retention and lacing are decent.

The aroma is super light, a little hops, a finish of lime, which is not cool, and lots of skunk.

The taste is also mostly skunky, only a bit of hops at the end.

This is just another micro in macro sheeps clothing. Boo Sam.

2.92/5  rDev -24.4%

Samuel Adams Noble Pils - Pilsner

A: It is an asparagus urine yellow color with great carbonation and good lacing, a warm yellow gold hue that is transparent throughout, vey common to the style but not as light as a Budlight or a thin lager.

S: There is a honey sweetness, a sugary grape fragrance to it, like a sweet cornbread, not a huge hoppy aroma, just predominately saccharine notes come through

T: Very refreshing, it has a doughiness to it, with a mild bread taste, like biting into a starchy piece of cornbread, sweet notes and the faintest bit of hops at the end to cap off the clean finish

M: The mouthfeel is crisp and light, washes clean over the tongue and teeth, ambling and begging to be drank faster as it leaves to real lingering impression

D: just a thin pilsner. you know what you are getting into. seriously.

2.92/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow. Produces a foamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving some lacing.

S: Floral hops and the standard pilsener malts.

T: I feel deceived by the commercials and labeling as I expected more here. Definately tastes like a pilsener; however, not as good as an authentic german pilsener.

M: Light bodied, dry.

D: Easily drinkable. I didn't particularly care for this but could see how it would make a nice session beer for some.

2.93/5  rDev -24.1%

A: straw in color and crystal clear. Head is fizzy and white, and quickly dissipates. the is plenty of lacing.

S: aroma is fairly prevalent, but is fairly simple, with limes being the one note.

T: very dry, but dominated by a lime flavor that leaves something to be desired.

M: thin body with plenty of carbonation. One of the better aspects of this brew.

D: I have always felt that American breweries tend to do a poor job with German styles, and this brew supports my generalization. It isn't a bad beer, but it isn't a good one either, and certainly not to style. There are a few other good examples of American pilsners out there, and I would recommend seeking them out instead of wasting resources on this one.

2.93/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured from a tap at Chilis into a larger Perfect Pint glass.

A: A clear straw yellow color with one finger white head. Nice glass lacing.

S: Grainy, honey, biscuit, bread malt and some grassy notes. Where are my hops?

T: First sip yields grain flavors with some baked bread, honey, biscuit, and malt sweetness. I get some faint grassy hop tones (very faint) and some slight lemon zest. Finish remains on the sweet side with more grainy flavors. Pils? Really? Disappointing, it reminds me more of a helles lager (maybe even and adjunct) than a real pils. Where are the hops and bitterness?

M: Thin, no real powerful flavors and no bitterness to speak of.

O: Severely disappointed in this one. I will qualify it though as this beer is getting long in the tooth about now and for the restaurant to still have this on tap means it is not the freshest. Still, this was a huge let down.

I had this a year ago fresh from a bottle (need to re-review next year) and it was a solid pils. This however was more of a helles lager than it was a pils really lacking the signature pils bitterness and crispness. I will attribute this to age and hopefully next year I can have some fresh stuff. Note, I came home and tapped a fresh Victory Braumeister Pils from my home tap and they were eons apart. The Victory was ass kicking, the Noble was ass kicked. That's the difference. Hopefully next year.

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours average with intense carbonation. Nice white head quickly dissipates.

Body is a golden/light straw color (which to me was the best part of this beer.)

The nose wasnt there. I couldnt pick up any notes besides fresh cut grass.

The beer was nice crisp and bitter all the way through. Fresh and refreshing all the way through. However, I did pick up a weird cinnamon note in the finish, it kind of lingered in each swallow.

The mouthfeel wasnt nearly as delicate as I was hoping for. With all the carbonation it was along the lines of a "macro lager" style beer.

All in all this beer is very drinkable. Its priced right and it's worth a shot. Not exactly your typical pils by all means. I do suggest you come into this one with an open mind.

2.97/5  rDev -23.1%

This is a hard beer to review just based on it's style. The Czech Pilsner can't hold too high of expectations but as opposed to most Sam Adam's beers being underflavored, this one goes the other way.
Aroma is a subtle floral hops. Not much but it's enough for a pleasant nose.
Not much for appearance. Sparkling golden color with a small white head.
Taste is slightly hoppy but seems to be balanced out with ome hay-type malt. Nice crisp bite to it. It's actually a pretty refreshing beer to drink.
Light body with a slick texture. Decent finish that lingers for awhile.

That being said, I'd much rather Sam stick to their White Ale for their Spring seasonal. I don't really love this beer but it's growing on me and you have to give Sam Adams some credit for doing something a little different.

2.97/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance: Crisp, pale yellow with a thick frothy head. Lacing is strong and thick.

Smell: Cherries, grapes and grassy notes at the forefront. Tanginess in the middle with a light overall odor

Taste: Grassy with a bitter middle. Overall, not much there.

Mouthfeel: Like a pilsner should be, light but present on the tongue. Probably the most redeeming quality of this beer.

Overall, I was unimpressed. I picked this up as part of Sam Adam's Summer Style 12 pack and this was the best. The taste was lacking for a beer boasting all of the Noble Hops. I'll let the uninitiated have all the Sam A's.

[Best served in a Footed Pilsner]

Poured a sparkling yellow with a small white fizzy head that disappeared rapidly and had virtually no lacing.The aroma was very, very light of a doughy malt, piney hops and some notes of citrus. It tasted mildly bitter in the beginning and ended with a very light bitter-sour flavor that had hints of citrus, although the flavor did disappear almost immediatley. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture. Overall a very light pilsner, might be nice after cutting the lawn on a hot day.

2.98/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a light yellow with ample clarity, good 1" white head to it. A yeasty, lemon aromatic sense.

Taste, lots of carbonation, the noble hop seems fizzy with this amount of carbonation to it, doesn't really impart the typical hop mouthfeel, more gaseous and lemon. Good bitterness profile. Finishes dry, gritty at times.

Expensive for what it is.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)