Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Ratings: 3,655 |  Reviews: 1,509
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my favorite Pilsner glass.

A - clear pale & golden.one inch white fluffy head, left some decent lacing on the glass. It looked so clean & clear...

S - a bit hoppy for a pilsner. There are also some citrus notes.

t- clean & hoppy with somecitrus...a little spice at the end..

M - Light body with high carbonation. A smooth drinker,very crisp& refreshing.

D - The drinkability is high. Very refreshing & clean. Crisp. Would be nice on a hot day, after mowing the lawn....

....gonna head to the fridge and grab another!Cheers!

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a a golden honey in color with a one finger white creamy head. It smells amazing for a pilsner. I've never gotten so much hops in the nose before. It honestly smells like it could be a pale ale. Aside from the hoppyness it also has a nice honey like sweetness to it with cloves to finish it out. The flavor is pretty mild and solid for a pilsner. It is light and is like a light honey lager. It kind of reminds me of a couple Dortmunders I've had, just a little lighter in color. It drinks pretty light but has a better feel than most. I kind of wish the honey would follow into the aftertaste. This beer is very drinkable. If I had to, I could drink it all day. I'd say that it's like a poor man's My Antonia. Pretty good beer from Sam Adams.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Got it on tap at Wolf's 1-11, where it was served in a standard pint glass. Body is clear, light-golden/yellow with a half-finger white head. Surprising lack of visible bubbles/carbonation. Leaves some lace behind.

S: Focus is on florally, perfumy hops, but there's also a touch of basic sweetness.

T: Light malt - both grainy and a touch of sweetness - up front, followed by florally hops. Finishes with more sweetness and less crisp dryness than I remember from last year.

M: Body is light-to-medium in heft, carbonation levels seemed a touch low.

D: Very good. Two pints went down quickly.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

i purchased a case of it this morning to celebrate West chester university snow day. i have always been a fan of all sam adams products. didnt know what to expect with noble pils though. i read all of your reviews before i pulled the trigger on this pilsner. its a perfect reminder that spring is around to corner.

A:clean golden look with a thick hoopy head that looks fantastic

S: smells piney and herby. reminds me of a garden smell. very earthy. ya know

T: refreshing taste. not very spicy like i thought it would be. just fresh hoppy taste.

M: crisp in the mouth. has an after taste of lots of hops

D: i could drink it all day. a great beer for the spring time and summer.

Good Work Sam Adams!

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into pilsner flute. Dense white head formed and champagne like bubbles dancing up through the glass. Excellent head retention. Very clear yellow gold color.

Spicy aroma of noble hops with faint faint faint malt. Waited about a minute for the head to slightly subside before taking a very large gulp.

Very crisp and clean mouthfeel with a slightly bitter finish that lingers for about 20 seconds. Spicy noble hop in the middle. I'm looking for a tiny bit of malt but can barely find it. I would ask for just a red cunt hair more body if I had to change one thing.

I could drink a six pack of this and maybe more if I had to mow a football field in July. The epitome of refreshing with just enough flavor. I think it's less hoppy and slightly thinner than last years version, but still yummy.

This should be a year round offering from Sam Adams!

Drinkable to the extreme.

4.27/5  rDev +10.6%

$2.99 22oz bottle from the bodega. BB May notch.

Carlsberg pils glass. A touch dirty now that I look at it.

Average stereotypical golden amber beer. Lathery white head. Ugly scribble lace.

Smells intensely green & peppery. Green tea & a tiny bit of rind. Biscuity. Bright.

Taste is upfront with dry grain & irony spinach. Slight dank & pine. Subtly sweet cracker finish. Wow, nice & easy to associate flavors. No big complexity & yet so fulfilling.

Decent carbonation. Frothy. Constant. Plush. Alcohol is upfront.

Not much to say, it's a simply effective beer. A bit shocked.

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle into a Perfect Pint glass.

A: Quick white head dissipates pretty rapidly into a slight ring around the rim, with some patchy bits in the middle. Nice carbonation through the clear, just-golden body. Just a bit of fine webbing.

S: I can smell some spicy hops from a foot away--quite nice, really. Otherwise, a mild, malty body backs up the hopping. Simple, but good, and very reminiscent of German all-malt lagers, to me.

T: Tastes slightly sweet, actually...even a bit too sweet for the style. The hops are nice, but subdued. For a beer that boasts of its Noble Hops presence, they're a bit muted. This suits the style, but I'd have liked a bit more lemony, peppery zip, and perhaps some more bittering, too.

M: Spot-on, well-carbonated, easy-drinking brew.

D: Great drinking beer for an excellent price.

4.36/5  rDev +13%

I had mixed feelings about the Noble Pils before it even came out, as I had always enjoyed the White Ale that Sam Adams had previously marketed as its spring seasonal. Basically, I feel like the White Ale should have remained the spring beer offering, whilst this beer should have become a full time staple of the Sam Adams line-up. :)

What I love most about this beer is how, compared to the other Sam seasonal beers, I don't get tired of it by its seasons end. Sam Summer i'm done with by mid June; I don't want anymore lemon-zest in my diet. OctoberFest, while good, just isn't on par with it's more authentic Munich counterparts. And i've run my course with the Winter Lager by Christmas...

But the Noble Pils doesn't get old for me. Great taste, and easy as hell to drink! :) I've found myself drinking enough of these on many an occasion to hand my car keys over to my bartender. Very bubbly (which I enjoy), and a very clean, refreshing taste. Only slightly citrusy, very balanced with the light hops taste. Indeed, i'll be very sad to see this one go again in a few months....

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: bright amber. Little to no lacing. A lot of activity in the way of bubbles. It's fun to watch.

Smell: I don't get much in the way of smell. I detect a slight citrus smell, which seems to be in line with many of the other reviewers It may be because of my allergies though I'm not going to put much weight into that.

Taste: hoppy, citrusy taste. It's fun. I wish it was slightly later in the year. I don't normally associate this beer with cold weather. It takes me to spring. I look out the window and see a foot or two of snow. Back to reality, I suppose.

Mouthfeel: one word keeps coming to mind and that's crisp. It feels crisp. It's nice. Finishes clean.

Drinkability: this is best thing about this beer. I finish a sip and am ready for another. In fact, I kind of feel like I should be outside right now. Grilling. Damn.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Bright golden glow with a modest head.
Not much going on in the smell department, just the promise of a hoppy beer up ahead.
Very nice, delicate pilsner taste with a definite hops bite. Very enjoyable. Too bad they don't make this one a mainstay instead of a seasonal.

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%

This is probably the most beautiful beer I have ever poured into a glass!

I love the brilliantly white foamy two finger head. The beer underneath is a perfectly clear golden color.

It looks like something right out of a beer commercial, only better.

The taste is mildly aggressive upfront hops, but not over done. It has a "snappy" feel on the tongue as it goes down and finishes dry and hoppy.

This is the most clean looking and feeling beer I remember drinking. It is quite drinkable as a session beer.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Served on tap in a pilsner glass. Light yellow body with a small head and minor lacing. Subtle aroma of bready malt and light hops. Good flavors following the aroma. A slight bitter hop after taste that finishes well.

Crisp mouthfeel with about the right amount of carbonation. Very drinkable. Solid brew.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Aaaahhh! This is one tasty beer! Golden clear color, nice foamy head, great balanced taste and sweet subtle scent of hops makes this SESSION beer fantastic! If you never tried it...you should. It is a strong addition to the Samuel Adams arsonol! Stay thirsty my friends!

1.89/5  rDev -51%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Serving: Bottle with a BB date of 5/11.. Poured into a Pilsner style glass for an authentic test.

Appearance: Light straw with a snow white cap. It poured well and maintained a reasonable head.

Smell: First whiff gave some promise. Nice crisp hoppiness at the outset. Just what I was expecting. Then...strangely...the aroma almost disappeared!

Taste: Wow! What a disappointment. Very watered down tasting. Like dishwater. I really tried to get something here. Nope...just bland.

Mouthfeel: Less than average. Watery. No hop bitterness to speak of.

Drinkability: Very poor. I had a hard time with this one. Even my wife did not like it. She felt it worse than a Miller Lite! I dumped this and went to another brew to gain some enjoyment for this session.

Overall: I went into this very open minded. I have not had much from Sam Adams that I care for. But given the availability, ratings, and price of this one...I really wanted it to become my "go to" Pilsner. No way. I even tried this 3 different times to really be sure. This stuff is bad. I'll be giving the last 3 away.

3.44/5  rDev -10.9%

01/23/11- Had this one on-tap at Bernard's in Columbus.
A: Very clear golden, it was served with a very thin white collar and sparse film and a head that couldn't wake with agitation.
S: Nothin much, just a very mild pale barley, a very slight mild white grape, and some non-yeasty white bread.
T: Nice green leafy hops, mostly crisp bread (without the yeast). Good.
M: Thin with a slight frothiness.
D: Good.
I've had plenty of good pilseners, and this is not one of those. The hops were well-integrated, which is why it was given a good rating in the taste category. In general, I'm just really not impressed.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Wasn't too much of a fan last year, but this year's tastes much different.

Poured a very clear, very crisp looking golden. A short-lived white bubbly head with very large bubbles diminished to a few patches of froth and a scant ring. A nicely floral aroma that gives a somewhat piney and lemongrassy scent, but also a good dose of biscuits. Flavors abound! More malty than last year's version, I enjoy the balance here. The hops are less pronounced, but much more balanced amongst one another. There is a nice blend of herbs, freshly cut grass, and pine with a big biscuity backbone. Rich and well carbonated. I would actually say this is the thicker end of a light body, almost reaching medium bodied on my scale. Highly, highly, HIGHLY drinkable. I feel like this year's Noble Pils is very well made.

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another one of my favorite styles. Picked up today to help me get through the AFC Championship Game with my beloved Jets in an underdog role.

Attractive dark gold body and snow white cap of head. Nose is faint but on point with caramel malt and the obvious old school hopping.

Surprisingly, the bread and biscuit malt is the main player here, including the aftertaste. There is a hop bite here but it is more subdued and in the backround than I expected. Not bad but fairly pedestrian.

3.57/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear transparent golden color with a thing layer of white head. Hoppy aroma right up front and it's rounded out by being kind of grainy with a zesty orange aroma to support the nose. Pilsner malts right up front on the pallet with grainy flavors and a bitter hop finish. Citrus flavors that I suspected in the aroma are kind of lost in the flavor. The body is light and refreshing with sharp carbonation. Overall, nothing offensive here and the flavors are pretty on point. Real nice interpretation to the style.

4.36/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a brilliantly clear straw color into a tall pilsner glass. Bubbles stream from the bottom of the glass to the top in a little line. Poured with an inch or so of dense white head, but dissipates rather quickly.

Smells of earthier hops... noble hops, I suppose. Smell of pale malt behind it.

Taste is very clean, if clean can be a descriptor for taste. Pale malt is dominant, not tainted with body-lightening adjuncts like corn or rice. Hops come up in the finish, adding just enough to make me want just a little bit more.

Mouthfeel is pretty light, perhaps a little thicker than the appearance would lend me to believe. Certainly easy drinking. I could see having these all day, no problem. Would likely pair well with any number of food, as well.

As much as I hate seeing a spring beer in JANUARY, I'm certainly glad I didn't have to wait any longer for this year's release.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from bottle into an imperial pint. May 2011 freshness date notched on label.

Appearance: Crystal-clear and golden in color. Fluffy white head left excellent lacing down the glass. Big bubbles.

Smell: Excellent hops smell with some citrus and lemongrass.

Taste: Very crisp hops taste with a bit of citrus, and both a spicy and malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with more creaminess than I expected. A bit of a sizzle hits you with the hops and alcohol but it doesn't persist for long.

Drinkability: Being relatively new to craft beers, and certainly new to exploring all of the beer styles, I don't know if I am going to be a fan of the hoppier beers or not. I feel like this has considerable hops, definitely in line with the style description, but is also very drinkable. You get hit with the hops but it doesn't linger on the palate, there is a malty finish that makes this very drinkable to me.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours from the 22oz. bottle a rather macro-like pale yellow with a foamy white one finger head. Fairly high carbonation...I can see lots of bubbles in the bottle even before I begin to pour, and more macro-like fizz in the glass. Aroma is disappointingly light. There's a faint hint of citrus hops, but nothing like the blast I was expecting from the use of 5 different hop varieties. 1st sip brings a dose of dry, crisp citrus and herbal hop, with just enough sweet malt on the back end to provide a good balance. For lack of a better comparison, this reminds me of an amped-up version of Heineken or St. Pauli Girl. Mouthfeel is light, smooth, and crisp, with just enough heft to keep from being watery. Drinkability is very good! These would make a nice game day session beer. Overall, another winner from Jim Koch and Boston Beer Co. Those of you looking for a beer to help that macro loving buddy of yours to make the transition to craft/micro brew...here's your starting point!

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%

Ok the new but already famous sam noble pils!

A- straw yellow with a good white head

S- a great lift of lemony scent and spices. Very good pils scent

T- good hopped up falvor with good spicy themes carrying through

M- crisp crisp crisp with good flavor

D- look you can't deny the drinkabilty. This can be pounded

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Light golden straw in color with a rocky white head on top. Light carbonation rises slowly. Aroma is very faint, but seems to be mostly hoppy (5 noble hops in use are: hallertau, tettnang, spalt, hersbrucker (Germany) and saaz (Czech Republic) [thank you Tivo and Sam Adams ad which oddly played during my review]. Taste is very good and is true to the Bohemian pils style. It has a nice malty sweet backbone, is somewhat grassy, and the hops really come through in a fantastic and balanced way. The hops provide a bit of a bite on the finish of the beer, but I found it to be enjoyable. Drink is light and extremely sessionable. It's a beer marketed as a winter beer to make you dream of spring. Buy into the marketing or not, but this is still an enjoyable pils.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from the tap a clear light gold with two fingers of white head.

Aroma of grainy malts along with a medley of fresh citrus and floral hops.

The taste was more of the malts and bread side and less on the hoppy side.

Lighter bodied and crisp with a bright carbonation.

A solid Pilsner from Sam Adams. Time for another.

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured 12oz bottle into my Sam Adams pint glass

Appearance - Great 2 finger head. Extremely pale yellow and clear beer. Mild lacing on glass.

Smell - For a pilsner, the hops freshness is wonderfully strong in the smell. Some citrus notes come through as well. Definely smells more like an outstanding IPA than Pilsner, but its great none the less.

Taste - The taste was very unique. Not very American pilsner, nor like any German/European either. Its one of a kind.

Mouthfeel - ok

Drinkability - I have to rate this quite drinkable as from the last 30 beers I've had, I think I downed this one faster than any other.

Overall - Heading the fridge to grab a second one right now...

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)