Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Ratings: 3,662 |  Reviews: 1,512
3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Golden colour with a greenish tint. Great lacing with big bubbles and a frothy head yield from an aggressive pour.

S: Very hoppy and light. Hoppy like an IPA and smells reminiscent of an ale. Lager yeast is barely evident, and I would've guessed it was an ale instead of a lager.

T: Bitter yet mellow. Hoppy taste is very complex; no one hop variety sticking out strongly. I would have almost preferred a little more simplicity, because I don't necessarily think that they combine in a synergistic way. Very citrusy, beyond lemons limes and oranges. Maybe something more like a sweetened grapefruit.

M: Carbonation is prominant. It bites your tongue, and sizzles in your mouth between the bubbles and the bitterness. Rather refreshing and pleasant.

D: I'm not sure how many of these I would want to have in a row, but its still solid. ABV is in the acceptable range for having a few in one sitting. Not as great as I would like however, and it gets a little old.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

First off, let me start by saying--with the exception of Pilsner Urquell and a few other Czech beers--I am not at all a hophead. I must also confess that I'm a tad biased against Samuel Adams in that I find many times they try to recreate beer styles when they should be creating their own. That said, on to the review:

Appearance - wonderful golden and clear, a vigorous pour resulted in a two-finger head that settles down to a fine cap after a few minutes.

Aroma - What can you say? Halltertau, Tettnanger, Spalt, Lublin, and Saaz all wrapped together in a perfect blend. Not much malt comes through, but just wait:

Taste - Luscious, the flavors of all the hops are there in perfect balance, yet a sweetish malt flavor cuts through to even things out. Fantastic job.

Mouthfeel - perfectly carbonated, and the viscosity of the brew is neither thin nor syrupy.

Drinkability - like a Pilsner Urquell, I don't think I could session this beer only because the flavors are so assertive. But is that so bad?

Samuel Adams' best effort yet. I've a new-found respect for this company. :)

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a brilliant golden straw color with a fluffy white head that leaves ample lacing as it recedes.

Moderate citrus aroma with a light underlying earthiness.

Initial smooth flavor is hard to describe - almost like drinking fresh spring air, the citric hop taste doesn't really kick in 'till most of the liquid is swallowed.

Ample carbonation and a lighter mouthfeel with pretty good body make this very refreshing.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

12 oz bottle into a Pils glass.

Pours a brilliant clear gold, with several big foamy fingers of eggshell-white head. There's a really solid retention to this, which leaves thick foamy swathes of lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is spicy and floral in the nose, with some leafy smelling citric character and the stiff feeling breadiness of the malts across the back. As far as a solid Pils aroma goes, I'm digging this...

Those Noble hops are spicy, citric, and earthy across the mouth in the taste, with those Pils malts holding tight against the back of the profile and adding some extra drying graininess to the proceedings. This overall isn't very sweet by any means, with most of it coming from the citrus flavors and a just a touch from the malts. Just a steady spicy finish on this. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a touch lighter on the palate, with a crisp sharpness to the carbonation which snaps across the tongue. Man, this is very smooth and easy drinking for the style.

Flavorful, smooth, and easy drinking, this could easily be a go-to with the temps rapidly warming up outside. Maybe a touch light in the body but I really really enjoyed this for the most part.

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%

My first thought when I had this beer was YUM. that's a nice smooth sweet beer.

when i smelled the Beer I thought it smelled like lemons or fresh oranges.

it has nice golden color,

the beer had about a 1/4 inch head when i poured it into a tumbler.

Apparently it's hops are Nobel so if i drink enough will I become A duke.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Color is golden straw. Great clarity, and a nice, rich, white head.

Aroma is mostly the soft hop profile. Citrusy, floral, and good. I can't say I'm one for picking out the particular hops in a brew, but the bottle says there's five in this one. Seems plausable enough.

Taste is quite good. The hop profile is nice 'n soft, and lingers on the tounge for a while. Just a hint of maltiness hides in there.

Good beer, overall.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours golden clear with a half-inch head. The nose is sweet and floral with vague citrus notes. The body is medium-light with a decent crisp finish. Smooth lingering. I expected more hops and more malt. The bitter notes are present as is a hint of pine. Moderate carbonation. Light lacing develops. Could be a session beer. I believe it is too light for a true Pilsner.

On-tap in pilsner glass.
Had Noble Pils again, this time on tap, and it finally lived up to the hype. The smell and taste were much hoppier than the bottle that I had. Fresh floral and citrus hop nose was much more pronounced and inviting. The palate was balanced and delicious. Soft bitterness and a moderate grassy hop flavour hit the spot. Medium bodied and fluid on the tongue. Good pils that impressed me this time around.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Wow! i wasn't expecting this beer to be as good as it was. i must say i was pretty impressed. i had heard that this years batch was supposed to be extra delicious. I must say i concur. extremely potent hoppy smell and flavor, that was hard not to enjoy. wasn't expecting so much out of ol'sammy but i pleasantly surprised.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a very light straw colored body with a thick white head.

Nose is very light with a fresh grain maltiness and a wave of earthy fresh german hops.

Taste is light to medium bodied with an immediate big earthy hop bite. Very crisp and clean when it comes to the malt base. Almost reminds me of a slightly cleaner and less malty Sam Lager, yet the hops are totally in your face giving it a very big almost IPA type quality for the hops. A nice big bitterness that never overpowers and mostly lets the flavors of the hops shine through.

Gotta say... I've been complaining for years since they took the Sam Spring (Kolsch) out of rotation for their Spring Seasonal and replaced it with the white, but this... this is damn good. Just a simple, very hoppy lager. Calling this a Pilsner in the same breath as Macro lagers out there is an insult. It's hoppy, hoppy, hoppy and very refreshing. Nice job Sam Adams. This might be your best Spring seasonal yet.

3.17/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Cloudy yellow hue with an average head and random spots of lace. Looks more like a hefeweizen than a pilsner. Hmm...

S: Sweet wheat malt - I'm not getting a lot of pilsner flavor. Smells like a slightly fruity summer beer with some artificial sweetness or additives.

T: A bit of disappointment, though my expectations were not exceedingly high. There is an unpleasant soapy taste, along with a bright, wheat flavor. Generally, this beer is just a bit off kilter. There is an undeniable artificial taste that permeates my senses and distracts me from any possible tasty pilsner-like goodness this brew may or may not have to offer. Basically, this doesn't take like a pilsner to me.

M: A bit soapy, fresh carbonation, goes down smooth (though it doesn't taste particularly great).

D: I'd rather get a water than order a second round. In fact, that's what I did. Bummer.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Pours light yellow with a small white head. The head disappears quickly and leaves little lacing at all. Smell wasn't to strong. A bit hoppy, and kind of floral and grassy. The taste was the same with that grassy like taste standing out more. More hoppy than I was expecting but in a really good way. It also had that typical Sam Adams taste that most if not all of their beers have in one way or another. I knew I was drinking a Sam Adams but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Average mouthfeel, wasn't expecting much in that department anyways. Lower ABV makes this really drinkable but that is not the only drinkable thing about it. Not the best Sam Adams brew out there but it contends for it. I wish I had more as I would have finished a six pack tonight. I'm not big on the Pilsner style of beer but this one is one of the only ones I've had that I really really like. The best Pilsner I've had yet.

I did not think America could ever make a lager to rival the great German/Czech pilseners.
OK I stand corrected. Sam Adams has never been one of my favorite breweries. Till now.
This is a world class lager, and my hat is off to you, Boston Beer Company.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

picked up a six pack a day ago
poured from the bottle to a pils glass
Appearance straw yellow almost clear with lite lacing
smell lite hops
taste is light and crisp
drinkability a enjoyabble with a nice finish
for me this is another solid beer from the people at the boston beer company.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Nice golden, straw color. Very clear with nice head and moderate lacing.

S: Light floral character, some spiciness. Typical pils.

T&M: Mostly grains with some bitter hops on the finish. Mild peppery taste. Light bodied and medium carbonation typical of a pils.

Decent brew. Definetly worth a shot, especially if you enjoy pilsners.

A straight foward good tasting pilsner. Nice fluffy head just about the right ammount of carbination.

Good subtle hop aroma with this one. If you are burned out on IPAs but still want a little hop this is a good way to go.

Taste has a nice little hop bite with it but it goes down nice and smooth.

This is a great session beer in my opinion. Love the taste of this one i could drink it all night. My only gripe is that its a seasonal and will be gone soon.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

pours a beautiful transparent golden color, fluffy white head, nice amount of bubbles.

The hops are dominant in the nose, smells like fresh dew on grass.

Taste is hop dominant and earthy, very refreshing and almost juicy.

Very crisp and clean feel to this light-bodied beer.

Highly drinkable because it's rich in flavor and excellent. gets my vote for most sessionable beer of the spring 2010.
Boston Beer Co. should really consider making this a year round offering.

2.71/5  rDev -29.8%

I was anxious to try this beer after reading all the forum discussions about it. I guess I was expecting more from this beer but I did not enjoy it as much as I hoped. The hops seem to overwhelm the taste and this beer is nothing like any pilsner I have ever had. I will try it again but for now it is a "C" grade for me.

3.62/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap for the first time at my local go-to bar. Had heard a lot about this seasonal, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Appearance- Comes of the tap the typical straw yellow for the style with a minimal sheet of white head that immediately dies to a ring and shortly thereafter to nothing at all. Some very mild beading in the body of the beer but that dies out fairly quickly too.

Smell- Somewhat surprisingly there is a nice little punch of juicy hops on the nose of this beer. Smells like a little nice grapefruit rind and tropical fruit. A faint grassiness as well perhaps. Overally, not a terribly powerful nose but present with some nice scents.

Taste- Again, starts off with a nice little juicy hop profile that is of the grapefruity nature. Follows up with a mild grassiness/hay characteristic and finishes with a touch of clean bready malt. Simple but nicely put together.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is adequate for the style but came across a little thin as I drank more. Drinkability is okay as well as the beer was easy to put away, though I began to find it a little uninteresting towards the end of the glass.

Overall, a nice "seasonal" offering from Sam Adams and a decent drinking pils if it is what you are in the mood for. Didn't knock my socks off but wasn't half bad.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a mug.

Pours a straw yellow with light white fluffy head, head fades to a lace island. Decent lace.

This brew smells of hops, bready, grainy as well.

Brew has a crisp then smooth easy drinking mouthfeel, nice finish and aftertaste - only slightly bitter. Has a decent hop flavor; citrus hops mostly, but the five hops they use give this a unique hop flavor. Is a nice easy going hop pilsner.

This is a very easy drinking, unoffensive hopped pilsner. This is a brew that would be great to session, and great for someone who isnt a hop head - but is working their way towarss becoming one.

3.64/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pilsner's aren't one of my favorites but after trying one on tap I had to run out and get a twelve pack to do some further investigation.

Appearance - light golden with a good heavy head.

Smell - I really enjoyed the smell of this beer. Citrus and a lot of hop flowers.

Taste - This is a really good beer for the spring. Light enough to drink in the hot sun while still having a lot of flavor to it. I'm very impressed by this Sam Adams as I've been underwelmed by some of their experiments in the past. Overall, I like this beer. But two or three may be the limit as it seems to leave a sticky taste in my mouth.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance is golden straw with excellent clarity. Nice 1 finger head from a freshly tapped keg, mild lace.
Smell is a grassy/veggie/earthy hop aroma. Maybe some mild Pils sweetness.
Tastes as it smells. Nice crisp nobole hops layered on a light Pils malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel is medium/light body with medium+ carbonation.

Drinkability exceeded my expecations. I am usually not a fan of noble hops or Pilseners in general, but I really enjoyed this one. I got one to try it out, and ended up gettting 3 during the happy hour. Just enough hop profile for my craving, and I would get this one again, to bad it's seasonal. I dig this as a mellow hop alternative when your out and about with a hop craving and no IPAs are around.
Well done BBC, this one impressed me for sure. I like the multi hop twist on this new Pils!

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I pulled this out of a case I bought from Bryn Mawr Beverage in Brywn Mawr, PA. I poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a clear golden color with lots of little bubbles floating constantly to the top. The head is off-white, three fingers tall, leaving layered and thin lacing, and excellent lacing.
Smell: The aromas are yeasty, earthy hops and pine resin.
Taste: The flavors are bready, earthy and a bit watery.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is crisp yet has a thin body.
Drinkability: This is a fine beer.
Don't drink and review.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Wonderful clear orange/yellow with an egg white type head, very on style.

Hopped well with notes of citrus and pine, not over the top but well matched with the malt. The flavor comes through with a creaminess that is very tasty and the malt finishes dry with the assistance of a balanced hop nose.

Robust body accentuates the flavors, this is a German pils to love. Very good drinker on it's own as a quaff-er and with savory foods. A noble try for the "big" guys who are still under 1% of the US market, keep it up guys.

3.71/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a Weissbier.

A : This pilsener comes out rich and golden, with a very small cream colored head that dissipates quickly. It's an appeasing color in the sun, which suits the Spring release well.

S : The smell is feint.The little traces I can pick up are of citrus to piney hops, the main attraction of this brew. I wish it were a bit stronger on the nose.

T : Hello hops, it's nice to meet you. Sam Adams states on the bottle that it has all 5 noble hops from the worlds oldest growing regions. And it shows. The hop flavor is complex, ranging from floral to very grassy. It is amazingly balanced with malt however, almost with no bitter end on it. This I truly appreciate, not normally liking heavily hopped beers.

M : A medium body with a very smooth texture makes this a joy in the mouth. Swishing it around gives a good fluffy feel.

D : For a beer that has hops as the center show, and coming from a guy who does not like hops, this one is a easy drink. It'll be my pick for the hot sunny days when I don't feel like a sweet malty brew.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)