Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils
3.75/5
Very Good
Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: German Pilsener

Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste.

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Ratings: 3,720 |  Reviews: 1,524
3.9/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A: Medium to pale yellow coloring with significant lacing.

S: Getting a lots of hops on the nose.

T: Wow - what a great refreshing pilsner! Domestic pilsners are too often tasteless and boring - but not this one. Great balance of hops and malt.

M: Nice

D: Very high here. Could easily have polished off the 6 pack I purchased. What a great session beer - well done SA!

3.36/5  rDev -10.4%

I have had this beer several times, served in a pint glass. About an inch of foamy, sudsy head. Golden colored in appearance. Strong scents of fresh cut grass. Taste is more hoppy flavors of pine than citrus grapefruit. Also flavors of dry straw. Slight cleanser, chemical aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel. An enjoyable beer to drink one of at a time, but I would not reach for a second right away.

3.08/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a pale/medium gold with a quickly dissipating head that leaves a very thin layer of foam, and a nice amount of lacing. At first, the aroma carries very strong citrusy hop notes. Unfortunately, those give way to an odd, chemically, disinfectant presence very similar to what I noticed in BBC's Coastal Wheat. Taste is initially very good, with spicy, piney notes in the forefront, but again, there is a disturbing chemical presence lingering in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is good, with a rich, well carbonated character. Overall, I wanted to like this beer, and there is a lot here to recommend, but still, I'm taken aback by that odd artificial, chemically presence in the nose and palate.

4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured in a Samuel Adams 25 year glass

A-Beautiful medium gold color with fluffy 1" head. Small bead carbonation. Plenty of lacing as the beer goes down.

S - spicy hop aroma, not much else to say

T - nice assertive bitterness up front that switches to sweet malt flavor with a smooth finish.

M - Light to medium body, perfect for a session

D- As drinkable as any light body macro but with a ton of flavor. The best Sam Adams beer that I've had. This should replace both their spring and summer beer. I've drunk a case and might try to grab another 12 pack before it vanishes.

4.9/5  rDev +30.7%

The only thing lacking in this beer is the soft limestone water of the northern Germany and the Czech Republic, which is saying a lot as beer is mostly water. But despite that shortcoming, this is the best American pilsner. It is not a malt/hop bomb, like Prima Pils, which is a robust brew, but not a true pilsner. SA Noble Pils is ripe with hops, and has a solid malt body, but is more drinkable, "sessionable" than other boutique offerings. It is a mainstay and they should brew it year-round, as it dwarfs their other seasonal offerings.

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance - Clear straw color with a medium white head.

Smell - Lemon, honey, sweet bread, and juicy hops.

Taste - Like the smell, except with the hop bitterness of course. It has a sweet malty beginning and a crisp, sharp finish. A somewhat sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light body and high carbonation.

Notes - This is a good German style pilsner. It's perhaps a little sweeter than the others I've had, but that lends balance to the hops. It's a vast improvement on Sam Adams' previous spring beer, and I might buy it again next year.

1.63/5  rDev -56.5%

I bought this after hearing my uncle rave about it. I won't be trusting his beer advice again.

I should first disclose that I have had very few Sam Adams beers that I had much liking for, nor have I ever been fond of pilsners, but I think I gave this a fair shake.

Pours a rather unimpressive yellow, with next to no head into a 19oz. pilsner glass. Aroma is very faint hops and a sort of chemically smell I sometimes find in beers I subsequently dislike.

The taste is initially sharply hoppy, though very one dimensionally so, followed by a weak, watery flavor not unlike, if I remember correctly, yellow macro brews. This is further followed by a nasty chemically aftertaste that doesn't appear to go away. There is not much else to say about it, other than that I have a tight beer budget, and $9 for a six pack of this is a big waste of it.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

I'm still deficient in the pilsener glass category, but I think a nice weizen glass makes a good stand-in. Noble pils looks the part. A moderate pour produces a perfectly clear straw-yellow body with a fluffy white head that soon drops to a film leaving a thick coating of lace at the very top of the glass. Better retention would be nice, but I can't help but admire its clarity, and as this was a key feature of pils when they came out, this gets a thumbs up from me. The aroma is light and clean, with some lemon, a mild pepperiness and some pils malt in the background. Certainly not mind-blowing, but for a sessionable summer beer its good enough.

The flavour is a little bit of a let-down. Light lemon notes mix with pepper, herbal and floral notes, with a lightly sweet malt body providing backup. Its certainly very clean and easy to drink, but it does seem a little lacking in character, especially when held up against some of the primo pils out there, like... well... prima pils. As a summer quencher I enjoy it (and the light body and moderate carbonation help with this), but if I'm recommending a world-class pils to someone, this would not be mu first choice. A good beer, but not a great one.

Thanks to Shawn for the bottle!

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

Had this on tap at The Rivermill a couple months ago. Review from notes.

Pours into my pint glass a golden straw yellow, completely clear, with nice metallic gold highlights and a short, white, fizzy head. Lines of sticky lace cling to the sides of the glass and very light carbonation is visible within.

Aroma is very subtle but still present. Light crispy grains join light floral and grassy hops in this one.

Tasty and hoppy pilsener. Very crisp, full of cracked, dry malts, loads of lemon that comes across a little tart. Hops are more grassy than floral in the taste, and, of course, citrusy. A bit of bubblegum creeps through. Moderate feel, nice gentle carbonation. This is a very clean, crisp and highly drinkable beer.

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz into a pint glass, darker straw, golden color, clear with a one finger fluffy white head.

Smell is light, a little citrus, sweet, with a nice mild hint of hops.

Taste is more outstanding than the nose. A slight initial sweetness is very well balanced by a crisp hop bitterness, but this doesn't become overpowering.

Mouthfeel is very good as well. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Has a slightly dry, bitter finish, but not excessive.

This is a very drinkable brew, one I will enjoy again. Another solid offering from Sam Adams.

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

Reviewed on 4-30-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured a light copper/tan color, 2 fingers of foam, lacing down the side of the glass, carbonation present

S - Hops, wheat, lemon citrus aroma, malts lingering a bought

T - Light bodied, lemon citrus and wheat/ hops flavor

M/D - A pretty drinkable brew, light bodied but crisp flavor at the first sip but did smooth. I recommend this brew to me it could be a summer sipper hanging out by bon fire

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

From notes:

A - Beautiful golden straw with a 3" head that slowly melts down but leaves a nice ceiling of bubbles on top. Lacing throughout.

S - Smells of sweet malt and hops. Also smells like sunscreen in a good way.

T - Grassy malt with perfect amount of citrus hops coming through at the end. Extremely balanced!

This beer has more citrus hops than most Pilsners but it just works. I had no intention of trying this beer but I was in an airport and they were out of what I wanted so I gave this a try. I was so glad I did. Bravo Sam Adams! I love this beer. I hope they keep this one around for a long time. You owe it to yourself to try this beer. Crazy drinkability.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

1 pint 6 oz capped bottle

Noted on label: Best by May

The beer appeared a very nice looking clear golden color with a huge airy white head with some nice lacing.

Aroma is very good, a nice light malt with a really nice hint of floral hops.

The taste is really good with more hops than a typical pils. Very nice malt and hops balance to it, not overpowering in either direction, follows the nose very well.

The beer felt light and was very easy to drink with good carbonation which made the beer refreshing and crisp.

Overall, for a pilsener, this one is very good, but not as good as the Victory Prima pils, but a very good effort by SA and I will certainly have this beer again.

3.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Crystal clear straw color with a fluffy and tall white head.

The smell is a lemon zest with grain malt.

This has a decent hop profile, herbal and floral with that same citrus scent in the smell. Malt is grainy and bread.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp. High carbonation.

This is a nice yardwork beer because of the crisp and light body. High in flavor for such a lighter bodied beer.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Nice pilsner with a good hop character. The beer pours a light golden yellow with a big white head. Drying bubbles line the walls of the glass. The aroma could use a tad more hops, but it's still a nice blend of grassy, herbal hops and light bready malt. The flavor has a touch more hops. It's malt sweet with a medium hop bite. Good aftertaste. It's nice to have another good American pilsner.

4.34/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a clear dark golden color. Heavy carbonation creates a thick white head with very good retention.
Smell is very nice with a strong hop smell. The hops are strong of citrus, but you can tell that they will not be overpowering.
Taste is strong of citrus and floral hops. Unlike most hoppy beers, these hops all balance and don't pucker your mouth.
Mouthfeel is awesome. Medium thickness that is very smooth on the way down.
Drinkability is great. It is very rare that I have found a beer with so much taste and such a high alcohol content that I can drink so much of. Taste never gets boring or overpowers. If you haven't tried this, go get it.

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%

I'll preface this one by saying I'm not a huge Sam fan other than I give them major props for being integral to the microbrew revolution in this country.

This one, however, is absolutely delish. My favorite pils.

Gentle white fluffy head that lingers a bit. Light lacing.

Color is pale--straw--almost to the degree that I questioned its 'legitimacy' as beer that could deliver flavor.

Light grain aroma and gentle but noticeable hops.

Taste of immediate 'fresh' hops and clean malt. This may sound odd, but it's the first beer I've had where the smell of the hops is also how they taste. Maybe it's due to having 5 kinds???

Flavor lingers well after the swallow. Crisp finish.

If this was on tap where my beer league hockey team goes after games, I'd order it instead of Sierra pale--and I likes me some Sierra.

I could drink many more lagers than I do if this was the standard to which others were held. I'm sad it's just a seasonal cuz I think they hit a homer with this.

Yes. I like it. Lots.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a light yellow. Very pretty though. Interesting.

Smells hoppy, citrusy and simple but straightforward. Hmmm.

Tastes good. A biting hoppiness fades to give room to the hoppy flavor that lingers at the end of the swallow. Huh?

Feels good. Not too watery but the carbonation makes for a tingling sensation as its swallowed. I'll be.

Pretty good drinkability but I found myself getting bored with it. What?

This one has me puzzled. More than the sum of its parts would be a good description for this one. I'm not sure but I think I'll have another.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottle poured into pilsner glass

A: Pure clear, golden yellow, some bubbles, light and airy fluffy, rocky, white head, sticks to this particular glass well

S: Nice and clean smelling, very clean grainy malt, a distinct citrus, maybe lemon hop, refreshing but not overly hoppy, simple

T: Not as good as the smell, the hops lose some of their flavor and just bring bitterness, unlike some other pilsners it stays light without any thick or off-flavored grainy malt, crisp hops

M: Good, nice and crisp, but not over carbonated

D: Very good

Notes: A very strong showing by Sam Adams. However, could use some improvement with better flavor.

3.91/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into my interestingly shaped Samuel Adams glass.

Nice light yellow color. Not much aroma, grassy malt.

Huge overflowing head light white fluffy. Sticky lace all the way down. head remains 1/4 inch all the way down.

Taste.. Not bad, i suppose this is what a bud or Coors should taste like..
nice hope bitter aftertaste.
I'd get this again.
Alcohol seems a little higher than listed ?

Nice dry finish.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks goes out to ybnorml for this brew.

Best By: Jul

Poured into a SA glass a nice clean/clear golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with a nice little hop note, some citrus, fruity, with some spice notes. The taste is malty, nice hop note, fruity/citrus, spice. Medium body, the finish is slighlty bitter/dry. Drinkable, a very nice brew, glad to finally get a chance to try it, thanks Wayne.

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle. Crystal clear, yellow color. Some head and lace. Some bubbles. Beautiful floral, hoppy scent.

Very crisp, bitter taste. Has a wheaty aftertaste. Carbonated. It's a very basic, but very solid pilsner. You order a pils...you get a pils.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Beautiful pale golden body with a fluffy white head. Effevescent carbonation rushing to the top. Very nice lacing.

S - Sharp noble hop aroma with a balancing malt sweetness. Reminds me of Victory Prima Pils.

T&M - Follows the smell really well. A bit sweeter than expected but it's a nice crystal malt sweetness, not cloying. Great noble hop flavor well in balance with the sweet malt. Kind of a candy sugar sweetness as swallowed but the aftertaste is dominated by the hops. Not as spritzy as expected which was nice. Moderate carbonation keeps this smooth yet with a nice pilsener dryness.

D - Completely sessionable and delicious. I wanted to down these all night. Would be great on a summer day.

4.6/5  rDev +22.7%

I had this on draft at a local bar, and had it in a bottle. The above is rating for the draft. Very nice, light hop aroma- appropriate for a pilsner. Light in color, and crisp in finish. A very nice draft beer.

For some reason, it was a completely different beer for me out of the bottle. The aroma was off and the finish was not crisp like on draft. Overall, I was very disappointed, as I had the draft beer prior to the bottle.

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

Appearance is a crystal clear pale golden yellow with a three finger foamy white/off white head that dissipates at a slow pace leaving a little bit of lacing.

Smell is of earthy hops with some pine and a mild citrus aroma.

Taste is upfront has a mild hop presence and by mild I mean not particularly strong or bitter. Its followed by hints of citrus flavors like lemon and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with decent carbonation and a mild aftertaste.

Drinkablity is good. Its pretty easy drinking and crisp. It would make a pretty good session beer on a hot day. Its not the best I've had from the style as I would take Prima Pils from Victory over this for sure. But still not a bad brew.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.75 out of 5 with 3,720 ratings