Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils
Liked This Beer
3.76 w/ 3,665 ratings
Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Liked:
3.76/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,665 |  Reviews: 1,513

Before I begin, I must say that appearance is not a key criteria for a good beer. I'll try to stay as objective as possible though for this category that I find trivial.

A: Clear and golden, not yellow like many other pilseners. Bubbles formed while pouring but sustained head for only a second or two.

S: Spice throughout, hoppy in the beginning with citrus and malty notes thereafter.

T: Moderate spice from the hops along with citrus and a mildly sweet, malty flavor.

M: Brief aftertaste that preserves the spice and allows the maltiness to linger. Fair amount of carbonation, but not excessive.

D: I think that it was a mistake to release this beer so early. This would be a very enjoyable summertime beer. It seems to be crafted for summer, and it would provide a flavorful beer that can be enjoyed on even the hottest days.

3.11/5  rDev -17.3%

Sampled a pint while sitting outside on a beautiful sunny spring day.

Poured into a footed pilsner. Looks beautiful in the glass. Lots of carbonation bubbles but not much lacing as the brew sadly declines in the glass.

A faint hoppiness, tastes more bready to me.

A nice beer to have outside but I think I prefer other Sam Adams offerings if I'm having several.

Overall not a bad brew.

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Let me start by saying I could drink this one all day long. Perfect for a beautiful, sunny, spring Colorado afternoon. Pours into the glass a bright, sunny, deep golden hue, topped with a lovely, rocky white head. Smells strongly of citrus, lemons and grapefruits mainly. On the palate, a slight breadiness is lifted up by the lemon spiciness. Not tremendously complex, but delicious, enjoyable and everything a "lawnmower" beer could ever want to be.

4.17/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance - Slightly darker than what I would call golden, frothy head comprised of small bubbles, laces.

Smell - I thought this beer smelled pretty darn good. Its a heavy, well mixed aroma of supposedly many different kinds of hops. I am just assuming the main character of what I am smelling is a mixture of hops, otherwise I sense floral and some citrus scents as well.

Taste - The taste doesn't have as much character as the smell. Not really bitter considering the description which stresses hops. That's not really a disappointment though. The taste is well balanced. Bitterness only lingers slightly.

Mouthfeel - Perfect level of carbonation for my taste. Slightly thicker than what I expected from a pils, but feels good.

Drinkability - Very drinkable but powerful aroma and slightly thicker consistency than my preference makes me unable to have too many at once.

Overall this was a pleasant surprise. Its not as straightforward or as pilsener-formula abiding as I expected. Yet, the result is not something that alienates relatively conservative preferences people like me have.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Pours a translucent golden color with a rocky two finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind moderate lacing.

S: A faint honey malt base, mostly outweighed by clssic noble hopping (who would've guessed) - earthy, spicy hops with a hint of lemon zest.

T: Hop character is even sharper than in the aroma with the earthy and spicy characters being joined by some grassy taste. Honey malt base comes through in the middle, to be replaced by more earthy and spicy hops on the backend.

M: A bit heavy and full bodied for a pils, really could be a bit lighter on the tongue

D: Very quaffable but gets dinged for feeling a bit too heavy.

3.77/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Had on-tap at Texas Roadhouse.

Poured into a 22oz. Pilsener type glass. Clear apple juice like color with a bout a 1 finger head. White and color and soapy looking. Doesn't hang around too long.

A bit of hops on the nose. Lemon zest and an almost macro smell.

Taste isn't as hoppy as the nose. The lemon is still there and also a small amount of grainyness. Again, almost macro lagerish.

Not a bad mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation and really easy to drink. Did a great job of washing down the ribs.

Overall this is maybe a slightly above average pilsener. There are definitely lot's of others i would drink before this one.

4.92/5  rDev +30.9%

I have to admit I am not usually a Samuel Adams kind of guy. Most of their beers do very little for me, BUT this one however is absolute pilsner heaven! They nailed it. I've only had it on draught and am afraid the bottle might disappoint, but if you can get it fresh this beer is sure to please. The malt backbone is solid. Perfectly balanced with a nice firm bitterness and, the best part is, the late addition flavor/aroma of those famed "noble" hops. Really rounds this beer off perfectly. This is currently one of my favorites. I only wish it was available year round. Cheers to Boston Brewing. Well done!

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

Sampled on 3-20-10
Best before May 2010

Pours a clear pale amber almost yellow, with a filmy white head and lots of bubbles rising to the surface.

Smell is sharp hop bitterness, very beery, with a tiny bit of sweet malt. Very macro brew.

Taste is all hops, sharp and piney, with a strong bitterness and a lightly bready finish. Better than the smell, but the aftertaste is all macro.

Mouthfeel is good, thinner with good carbonation to keep the flavors tart.

Drinkability is also good, light and unoffensive.

Overall, I can't believe they traded White Ale for this. Makes me want to cry.

Ive been drinking Sam Adams since inception. I honestly feel this is their shining hour. I literally cant get enough. I was sceptical after so many fruity and spicy disappointments in the past, but this made up for all of them. I look forward to my daily ration as a British sailor for his grog. this should be a year round product. The best ever.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

12 ounce bottle, best before July. Pours a clear light golden body with a two finger vanilla head that drops to a soapy ring with patchy lacing.

Aroma is sweet honeysuckle and a plethora of hops. Earthy, spicy, floral, and grassy hop aromas with a faint hint of spruce and lemon.

Medium body has a soft and creamy carbonation.

Taste is nicely balanced between a crackery and honeyed maltiness and the dry hop bitterness. Hops are mostly floral, but grassy, earthy, and spicy notes are also present. Hints of spruce and lemon from the aroma are underneath. Very clean.

Highly enjoyable. One of Sam Adams' better efforts here when it comes to drinkability

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, best before July notched onto the label. Pours clear, golden, near white head, quickly goes to a tiny bubble film and collar, with minor lacing. Minor citric nose. Pleasant enough but nothing real special here. Has the typical Pilsner, grassy, crisp thing goin on, which never does anything real special for me or my taste buds. Sessionable, I'll give it that, if you like Pilsner. Yeah I said it

3.86/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Much more amber colored than your typical pils. Clean white head. Little lacing

S: A little funky. I would say unique but it smelled a little off to me. Almost like bad beer.

T: Ok, so here we go. First sip almost took me by surprise I have never had anything like this before. It has the ease of drinking of a lager and the bitterness of a light IPA.

M: Again, light like a lager. Big carbonation. The bitterness is a welcome surprise.

D: I could have quite a few of these. Great beer for the spring time, which is actually ironic that I spoke with the Sam Adams rep today and they said it is almost gone and they are already changing the seasonal over to the summer ale. A little premature for me, but that is what she said.

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz poured into a Sam Adams hi tech glass (of all things)

A - very clear, lively carbonation, good 1/2" head and excellent lacing all the way through the glass. Nice golden color. Well done.

S - Crisp citric hops and a honey-like smell from the malt. Very nice, appealing smell.

T - Crisp light malt flavor and a slight bitter finish that make this a dry pilsner.

MF - Medium to light body (Medium + for a pils), dry. smooth.

D - Light body, moderate ABV. It was on SALE for $14 a 12-pack (normally $18) so pretty price (hops?). But I could drink these all day. Hope they make this a year round.

Overall, lighter alternative to an IPA. Touches the hop button but doesn't overpower. Light body and moderate ABV makes it a great session beer.

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

This color of this beer can be described as a light copper color. It pours out of the bottle with a thin head that rapidly disapears. Bubbles continually float toward the top.

The aroma is close to that of an ESB and it smells of fresh citrisy hops with a slight, almost nutty, undercurrent.

The initial taste is a nice mix of hoppiness and citris. It has a pretty good bitterness, similar to an IPA.

The body of the beer is light and crisp, and the hops are present throughout. The taste is simple and straightfoward.

The beer's finish is slightly malty and the end lingers somewhere between minty and freshly mown grass.

Overall, the beer does what the brewery says it will... I conjures images of spring. It is a very drinkable, light bodied beer that will be enjoyed by beer drinkers who really like to taste their hops throughout.

This was served in the a standard pint, I was kind of hoping for a SA perfect pint glass, but the bar said all of theirs have managed to "walk out the door"...

The beer is a bright gold with excellent clarity. Bone white head and decent lacing.

It has an inviting aroma of fresh grains and floral hops.

The taste is brisk with some nice bitterness. The grains add a bit of sweetness but the hops rule the roost on this one.

The mouth is crisp and the carbonation is spot on. Very easy drinker that goes great with pizza, burgers, etc. Nice job Sam!

3.11/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner. Best before June marked on the bottle.

A- Clear golden color with lots of visible carbonation. An aggressive pour produced a 1 finger head which had some retention. Not much lacing to speak of.

S- I was disappointed here. It seemed very light. Some hops, some bitter citrus fruit, not particularly pleasant.

T- Better than the nose. The bitter hops are most prevalent with lemon citrus notes. Some bready malt near the end.

M- Lots of carbonation, light body.

D- This was an average beer. I was disappointed in the nose to be certain but it tasted much better. The refreshment factor is pretty high but there are many beers I would prefer in the same price range.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Clear gold, with a white head. Decent lacing.

S: Quite a bit of hops, more than expected. A little citrus in there.

T: First impression, wow, a lot more hoppy than expected from a pilsner. Not sure if this is as appropriate for the style? But, I love me some hops, so I'll take it. Has a bit of malty sweetness to it as a backing, but the bitterness of the hops is pretty overpowering here, in a good way.

M: Not that heavy at all, no crazy amount of carbonation. Crisp and enjoyable.

D: I was pretty upset that the White Ale was being replaced by this, but after finally having it, it's not too big of a loss. This is enjoyable for beer lovers, and the occasional beer drinker. A solid offering from SA, I must say.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Tried this in the upper east side of manhattan at some random irish pub with a mediocre selection.

But the noble pils is by no means part of the mediocrity- if anything, it rises above it proving sam adams to be a decent beer company as usual.

Pour is nice orange skinned and transparent, with carbonation going within. really exciting though (this may sound strange but in my head it's pretty coherent) is the head, abundant, i haven't seen one such in a while here (maybe it was a lousy pour or something! but every other beer has seemed short on head and i'm guessing it's barometric). nice, thick compact foamy head.

Smelly, too. nice crisp malty smell, just a tad hoppy but for the most part that sweet metallic feel so typical of pilseners, but more inclined towards the sweetness as per these german pilseners. not bad.

Taste is pale ale-ish (if you catch my drift) but with a distinctive pils lager feel (and i'm not just saying that) in terms of the thickness and, i dunno, the background malty sensation as a whole. sort of a half pleasant skunky feel if you wish. yet, there's a background mouldyness that threw me off and certainly made it all the more pleasant.

Nice bodied too, a tad oily but for the most part well carbonated and not thin but satisfyingly light-bodied. And it goes down well. kudos again to the SA.

2.91/5  rDev -22.6%

I had this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a clear gold, lots of carbonation, with a finger of white head. The retention and lacing are decent.

The aroma is super light, a little hops, a finish of lime, which is not cool, and lots of skunk.

The taste is also mostly skunky, only a bit of hops at the end.

This is just another micro in macro sheeps clothing. Boo Sam.

4.23/5  rDev +12.5%

Goodbye White Ale, hello Noble Pils! On to the beer:

In between yellow and gold is the color. The lively carbonation running through the body is a lovely site, and the thick, frothy head on top holding well on top creates that stereotypical look we know as beer. The nose is a little sweeter than expected. Carmel, fruit, and some grass notes are found. It's still fine as is.

SA Noble Pils tastes like a pale, long lost sibling to SA Boston Lager. There's the carmel again, but also add sweet bready flavors, some mango, hop oils, and a few grassy notes, and there you go. Carbonation is soft in thie light body.

That 12 ounce bottle went down fast. I still prefer Boston Lager over this, but the Noble Pils warrants a future 12-pack purchase for lazy drinking and good cost/benefit. At the very least, it's better than the deceased SA White Ale. But why this was released in January for the spring season is beyond me.

2.91/5  rDev -22.6%

Bottle date states its best before May.

Appearance: pours into my Ommegang glass a clear golden color with extremely fine bubbles rising from the bottom, an extremely thin coating on the surface of the beer as far as the head goes.

Smell: first to hit my nose is the aroma of a bitter citrus fruit, followed by the familiar smell I associate with a Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Taste: a bitter hops taste dominates this beer, then I get the typical pilsner flavor, then there is also a yeasty aftertaste that really hangs around for a while in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: a little watery, but still not bad.

Drinkability: it is nice to see a lighter style of beer use a good amount of hops in it, that said I would have liked for there to have been a more balanced hops taste rather than just achieving a bitter flavor in the brew, I cannot detect any significant piney or floral hop taste/smell and I would have preferred a mixture of these tastes. Overall still a good beer if your at a barbeque or enjoying the warm weather somewhere.

4.92/5  rDev +30.9%

I see some bad reviews for this on here, i have to wonder if there were maybe some bad batches? By that I mean, giving this less than a 5 in aroma is crazy, this is by far, the best smelling beer i have ever put my nose to, smells like a noble IPA. hardly any IPA's pack that much aroma in the nose, maybe o'dells, in colorado is close. the appearance is light and yellow, but i don't see that a downside like many, it could be purple if it tasted and smelled this good. I drove 90 miles twice in one week to get more. i will drive it again, and buy as much as i can before it goes off season, which will be incredibly dissapointing. This is desert island beer, i could drink this and this alone every day if pushed. as far as mouthfeel, its average, but its a lager/pilsner, so its right in line with the style.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Golden yellow without much of a head at all

S: A citrus and hoppy smell

T: Good, but more bitter than I expected. I have not had a Pilsner before that was this bitter. Also a hint of citrus.

M: Carbonated but not too much

D: Very drinkable, one of my favorite Sam Adams beers.

Traded some beers with a friend since he bought this and wanted to give it a try. I always have a bottle of the Sam Adams White Ale but this year, this was the new Spring Ale by these guys. I wasn't sure what to expect and will always have a soft spot for the former seasonal, as it was one of the beers that opened my eyes to what else was out there. As much as I miss it, this is also worthy of being brewed for this time of the year!

This had quite a head on it as I poured it into my pint glass, enough that I had to wait a second before getting the last bit out of the bottle. The lacing isn't quite as prevalent but that's about the only drawback to this. Much like the Victory Prima Pils, this is a nice goldenrod color with a wonderful clarity and crispness to it both in appearance and taste. Lots of grapefruit citrus, malt, European-style hops, and some sourness to this. It has a bit of that biscuity-type mouthfeel to it but this certainly isn't heavy and amzingly well balanced for a beer that could easily have tended to the watered-down side. I've never been to Europe but if a Pils from the Czech Republic ever caught on here, my guess is that it would taste something like this!

Although this isn't that strong, I can't see myself ever turning this into a session beer. Sam has a worthy offering here after the last few new brews I sampled from these guys let me down just a bit. It's not for the novice dinker but for anyone who can appreciate a good beer that isn't too overly complex, there's no need to look any further. Sure, I like my spring beers to be cloudy and a bit spicy but this fits the season well and surely will make me "take pride in my beer" for the first time in a while. Cheers to Sam for brewing this and shaking up their portfolio!

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

I anticipated this well-advertised pilsner, as it's a seasonal lager from the always dependable (though never flashy) Samuel Adams. Brewed with 5 different Noble hops from around the world, this pours a golden yellow, with little discernable aroma, oddly. The abundance of suds subsides to reveal a clean, floral hoppy character (not a shocker, there) that's light and smooth, with a nice "flavor roll", which is the mark of a complex, quality brew to my taste buds. Superb.

Added notes from early 2011 tasting:
Light golden-yellowish in color.
Good, large white head of foam and surprisingly ornate lace.
Aroma is citrus hoppy. Nice.
Flavor is light, with a well-balanced mix of sweetness and sharp hop snap near the finish.
This is a delicious warm-weather brew, and one that deserves repeat purchase.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 62.9% out of 100 with 3,665 ratings