Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils
3.76/5
Very Good
Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Ratings: 3,667 |  Reviews: 1,513

Traded some beers with a friend since he bought this and wanted to give it a try. I always have a bottle of the Sam Adams White Ale but this year, this was the new Spring Ale by these guys. I wasn't sure what to expect and will always have a soft spot for the former seasonal, as it was one of the beers that opened my eyes to what else was out there. As much as I miss it, this is also worthy of being brewed for this time of the year!

This had quite a head on it as I poured it into my pint glass, enough that I had to wait a second before getting the last bit out of the bottle. The lacing isn't quite as prevalent but that's about the only drawback to this. Much like the Victory Prima Pils, this is a nice goldenrod color with a wonderful clarity and crispness to it both in appearance and taste. Lots of grapefruit citrus, malt, European-style hops, and some sourness to this. It has a bit of that biscuity-type mouthfeel to it but this certainly isn't heavy and amzingly well balanced for a beer that could easily have tended to the watered-down side. I've never been to Europe but if a Pils from the Czech Republic ever caught on here, my guess is that it would taste something like this!

Although this isn't that strong, I can't see myself ever turning this into a session beer. Sam has a worthy offering here after the last few new brews I sampled from these guys let me down just a bit. It's not for the novice dinker but for anyone who can appreciate a good beer that isn't too overly complex, there's no need to look any further. Sure, I like my spring beers to be cloudy and a bit spicy but this fits the season well and surely will make me "take pride in my beer" for the first time in a while. Cheers to Sam for brewing this and shaking up their portfolio!

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

I anticipated this well-advertised pilsner, as it's a seasonal lager from the always dependable (though never flashy) Samuel Adams. Brewed with 5 different Noble hops from around the world, this pours a golden yellow, with little discernable aroma, oddly. The abundance of suds subsides to reveal a clean, floral hoppy character (not a shocker, there) that's light and smooth, with a nice "flavor roll", which is the mark of a complex, quality brew to my taste buds. Superb.

Added notes from early 2011 tasting:
Light golden-yellowish in color.
Good, large white head of foam and surprisingly ornate lace.
Aroma is citrus hoppy. Nice.
Flavor is light, with a well-balanced mix of sweetness and sharp hop snap near the finish.
This is a delicious warm-weather brew, and one that deserves repeat purchase.

3.19/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Typical golden yellow color of a Pilsner. Bright with a small trail of carbonization bubbles floating up from the center. Bright white head that stays around for a while.

S: Strong hop smell jumps out at you. Lots of grapefruit, a little lemon. Generally citrus. Balanced against the more typical bready lager aromas. Almost like I squeezed a lemon into a typical Sam Adams lager. Is that a good thing though?

T: Citrus hops really dominate up front, more lemon than anything. Then the hops fade a little and the bready malt flavors come more into play. Leave a little bitterness at the end. I still can't get away from the feeling that this is a normal pilsner with a lemon.

M: Well carbonanted, fairly light, although not as light as many lagers or pilsners. Refreshing.

D: Not a bad example of a hoppy pilsner (not that I have much experience with said beers). I didn't get much floral or piney hop flavor - mainly the lemon which kind of got stuck in my head as I drank the beer. It was enjoyable, but not generally in my style range. I wouldn't complain about drinking this at a party or in the airport, but wouldn't pick up a sixer of it.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Golden yellow with a half inch white head. After a little while the head is gone, but there is still a very nice lacing that forms.

S: A mix of citrus, bread, and an array of hops.

T: A gentle touch of citrus with a yeasty, bread-like taste at first. This is followed by a bitter punch of the 5 kinds of hops. Much more of a bitter finish than I've had in other pilsners.

M: Nice carbonation. Finishes a little drier than I had hoped.

D: I found the bitter finish kind of addicting. I've actually been on a binge with this beer on-tap lately. I am just now getting around to reviewing it. This is my new favorite beer from Sam Adams.

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Served in a pilsener glass:
A: clear and gold; frothy head; quite bubbly; very nice lacing and great retention on the head

S: Your typical grainy and slightly earthy lager aroma but with the addition of a hop bouquet, which creates a nice complement; citrus-particularly lemon-as well as some floral qualities

T: Hop bitterness up front but that diminishes on backend where the grainy malt quality persists more strongly; I love how for a lager this beer has the citrus and floral qualities of the hops--subtle as they be--shooting through your nose

F: Pretty good mouth feel--although the consistency is a bit thin; I like that the carbonation isn't overwhelming--but it may be a bit off

D: This is the definition of a session beer; it really is a quality example of the style; so much flavor and yet so subtle and simple.

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a light golden color with a thin bubbly head. Pretty typical for a pilsner.

Smell is very sharp and crisp, many hop aromas come through along with a bready malt scent.

Taste is pretty darn solid, very crisp with a solid hop presence. Malts come through in the finish, very lightly, but you can tell they are there.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, quite a pleasant experience.

Drinkability is superb, a very nicely done pilsner from Sam Adams.

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

Very nice color when poured into my pint glass, a smooth disappearing head foams away quickly.

A bit of sharp grain and citrusy aroma when shooken around the nose.

A fast-hitting, sharp hoppy pilsner! Taste is immediately recognizable, and remains throughout... an almost sweet after-taste.

Very malty, yet very much drinkability. Good stuff all around!

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Tasty light bodied Pilsener with nice hops.

Clean, piney, refreshing taste with surprising bitterness. But aromatic hops assert themselves. Sam Adams has done their research on blending the hop flavors. I hope this will be widely available and do a lot to introduce hops to a PG audience. I think this is my favorite Sam Adams beer. Some of the others are not very flavorful.

Great hops, drinkable, refreshing.

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is clear, golden colored with a decent head (about an inch and a half). Head fades to a solid cap that leaves little lacing.

Smell: Scent of a decent hopping comes through quickly. Bursting with aromatic hops, floral and lemony zest aromas. Much more hoppy than I typically expect for a pilsner. One of the most aromatic pilsners I have poured.

Taste: Follows the scent of the beer. Some lemony citrous zing, malts seem subdued by a bracing, bitter finish. Not what I would call a textbook pilsner, but very interesting.

Mouthfeel: While I want to call this a medium bodied beer, it is well carbonated and that helps to keep it light and lively. Crisp and "clean" (no lingering aftertaste) going down.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer, if you like hoppy pilsners. While this would not be an overly hoppy beer if it were an IPA, it maybe on par hop-wise with some APA's, it is on the hoppy/bitter side of the malt/hops balance of flavors. Unfortunately, I do not think that many pils drinkers want a beer this hop-centric.

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours clear golden amber with one inch of white head. The head recedes quickly leaving a cap all the way to the bottom of the 16 ounce shaker glass. Lacings were good but had mostly disappeared by the end.
Aroma was surprisingly powerful piney citrus hops.
Taste is light cracker malts with a burst of bitter resinous hops. Lemon zest, some grass, leather, and a nice dry bitter finish.
Body was quite full for the style with a good deal of carbonation.
I passed on buying this beer when it first showed in my area but lack of new beers to try and a sale price tempted me to try it. I am glad I did now. I am working on my third as I write this and noticed the third bottle is two months older than the previous tastes. IMO you should look for the freshest bottles to really enjoy this beer. This last bottle was much less rich in the flavor department.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours into a pint glass a clear golden-yellow with a billowy white head that soon disappears.

Smells grainy with a sharp spicyness and slight citrusy note of hops.

The noble hops taste is very prevalent, delicious and spicy without being very bitter. Sweet malty, almost biscuit taste. Very clean, finishes dry.

Medium-bodied, maybe a little liberal with the carbonation, but very easy-drinking.

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a straw color with a 1/2 finger white head that quickly dissipates. Some lacing.

Smell is floral hops, yeast and slightly lemony. The taste is herbal & floral hops, bitter/sour lemon, and yeast. Herbal aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is clean, crisp.

This is a very drinkable pils. More flavor than many pilseners out there thanks to the noble hops.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

The Noble Pils is much better on tap that it is in the bottle. I tried this beer in a bottle a few weeks ago and wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with the draft version. The draft has a much bolder color with more head retention and a significantly better flavor.

Slightly floral aroma mixed in with the hops. The flavor was much more complex with a very distinct hop flavor with a smooth and delicious aftertaste. A very solid beer and definitely worthwhile to try on tap if all you have had is the bottled version.

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my SA perfect pint glass. It pours a clear,. gold with a 2 finger white head that leaves as soon as it comes. The aroma is grassy, lemony and spicey. The flavor has hay, lemon zest, and a spicey, crisp finish. The beer is light in body, well carbonated, and easy drinking. A very solid pilsner.

2.72/5  rDev -27.7%

I am a HUGE Sam Adams fan and this was an utter disappointment. It smells good and makes me think of spring, but when I tasted it I did not get that feeling. Its much lighter in color than I expected and not as sweet. The mouthfeel is not as good as other Sam Adams beers and the drinkability is much less. I recommend most Sam Adams beers, but not this one.

Cheers!

1.64/5  rDev -56.4%

I am utterly shocked and perplexed by the beeradvocate.com score for this beer. I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but I do really enjoy their hallertauer pilsener. That gave me hope for this brew. Alas, this beer is wretched.

Pours a light golden color. Big white foam head. I was perhaps expecting less yellow, more gold.

Smells like crisp, chemical laden bread, some cleaning solvents that perhaps double as noble-esque hops, and a weird mineral pungency.

Taste is really nasty. The yeast and chemical/solvent background make this utterly unpalatable. A pilsener, in my mind, should be "clean," crisp, offer some mineral zest with a sharp, tangy yeast/break background. This is just unpleasantly jumbled and ... I must throw that word out there again ... chemical flavored.

AVoid.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

A golden yellow orange with a thin white foam, noble pils looks a little robust for a pils. The aroma is what you would expect a strong, sharp hop aroma. It has a crisp hop taste and light finish. There is a subtle sweet fruit middle in between the hop notes.

I would say this is exactly as Sam Adams describes, it's just heavy enough to enjoy before spring while reminding you of the crisp spring/summer beers to come.

3.52/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bomber, I think it was $2.99 from Beverage King in West Lebanon NH. Poured into my chilled trusty O'Doul's pint glass.

Clear lemon yellow brew with a finger of bleach white head. Settles to a thick layer of foam that sticks around for a while and sticks heavily to the glass. Great hop aroma, deep and complex. A thick blend of pine, lemon, grass, on a bready malt background with a bit of silage and caramel. Taste is much less pleasing, a muddy hop bitterness and barely any malt, like a slightly hoppy macrobrew. Dry and a little overly carbonated throughout with a dry finish that has something of the hop complexity seen in the nose. Alcohol slightly apparent.

Overall not a bad brew but seriously lacking on taste and the carbonation is a bit too rigorous. A worthy sampling, but probably won't seek this out again.

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours from the bottle a clean orange color with a monster 4+ fingers of head. I've learned by now that good pilseners require extra head space, so I have a weizen glass in use. Loads of lacing sticks around (more than I've seen in a beer for a long time), and carbonation continually rises from the bottom of the glass. Noble Pils has a very flavorful aroma-- spicy herbal hops, citrus, pepper, coarse grain, and some notes I'd expect from a Bavarian hefe-- orange peel and cloves.

Sipping reveals unrefined flavors of tangy citrus and herbal hops and lemon juice mostly. I don't enjoy Noble Pils's taste as much as the smell, but it's still easy to drink. Body is a little more full and less refreshing than I like in a pils, but perhaps I'm just more partial to the Czech variety than the German one. Each sip ends abruptly leaving a dry, leafy feeling in the mouth.

There's some nice flavors in this beer and it looks terrific, but the somewhat raw taste and mouthfeel hurt its drinkability just a little bit for me. Still, I'm glad to see such a widely available pils on the market, so I think Noble Pils is a winner in the end.

3.34/5  rDev -11.2%

Okay, well let's get this started

A- Very nice golden colour with some light lacing, barely any head at all

S- Very malt vinegary, it was very off-setting for me as I'm not a fan of the smell, but...

T- Ah, the taste was so different from the smell! I couldn't believe it! Bitter at first with a clean, refreshing aftertaste. I think this was one of my favorite Sam Adams.

M & D- It was a bit dry for me and I had a hard time finishing it, but over all it was very clean and smooth, surprising indeed!

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

The beer was served in a pint glass. Over the last couple weeks I have had several bottles of this beer. Got to say I like this beer. I wish it had about half again as much hops with same abv.

Appearance: The body of the beer is clear golden yellow. The head was about 2 fingers high and resolves into a thin sheen. Speckles of foam remain on my glass.

Smell: Toasted cereal malt spicy lemon citrus with a floral musky grassy aroma. Very nice but would like a bit more hops.

Taste: The flavor of the beer has a very spicy citrus kick. Very nice toasted caramel malt. This gives way to a nice finishing bitter flavor.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light but not watery. Well balanced hops and maltyness. This has been a throw back beer for me. I would like a bit more hoppy character. Very nice beer drink well done Sam Adams. I am hoping this will be a year round brew.

4.29/5  rDev +14.1%

A- Bright clear light gold with a slight green tinge. Quarter finger snowy head w/ good staying power.

S- Underlying sweet grainy malt aroma surpassed by a bountiful boquet of grassy/floral/spicy hops.

T- Hops, hops, and more hops, the amazing thing is, it's not obnoxious. Great noble hop flavor form start to finish accompanied to near prefection by a subtle but solid slightly caramel malt backbone. The finish is clean and slightly off dry.

M- Clean and crisp with good carbonation that doesn't come across too harsh.

D- Oh, yeah no problem puttin this back. A fine quaffable example of the style.

4.4/5  rDev +17%

A: Golden, clear pilsener goodness. Two-finger white head.

S: Smells like citrus and noble hops. Not too potent though. Just right.

T: Some citrus up front, noble hop taste in the end. Just enough good hop bitterness to taste good but not enough to make you sick of them.

M: Surprisingly smooth, not a ton of carbonation.

D: Very, very drinkable. They should make this a year-round offering. I'd make it my staple beer.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

12 oz bottle

A: Clear, light gold under a medium to large white head. Some decent lace and retention.

S: Hoppy, a bit more citrus that I expected. Pretty balanced, very clean. After a little warming, I get a hint of bubble gum, which isn't bad but a little off for the style.

T: Malt plays a bigger role in the taste department, hops are more pine than citrus when the beer is cooler, but warming seems to bring out a small lemon freshness. Bitterness is mild.

M/D: Light bodied, carbonation is high but the body doesn't fall apart. Drinkability is good, very drinkable. Pretty solid beer all around.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Finally caved and tried the new seasonal. I was pleasantly surprised and it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

A - Clear golden color with a big foamy off-white head. Surprisingly good retention and lacing for a pilsner.

S - Citrus, slightly grassy, and sweet bready malt.

T - Surprising amount of hops right up front! It seems to gradually fade into a normal pilsner taste, but intially it wasn't what I was expecting. Five types of noble hops, delicious! Finishes dry and floral.

M - Light and bubbly but very smooth. Good amount of bite.

D - Very drinkable, and fits the season well. Very light for the amount of flavor you get.

Overall, color me impressed. I will reserve judgment on new Sam Adams products until I've tried them from now on.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.76 out of 5 with 3,667 ratings