Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Ratings: 3,655 |  Reviews: 1,509
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

The Noble Pils is much better on tap that it is in the bottle. I tried this beer in a bottle a few weeks ago and wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with the draft version. The draft has a much bolder color with more head retention and a significantly better flavor.

Slightly floral aroma mixed in with the hops. The flavor was much more complex with a very distinct hop flavor with a smooth and delicious aftertaste. A very solid beer and definitely worthwhile to try on tap if all you have had is the bottled version.

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my SA perfect pint glass. It pours a clear,. gold with a 2 finger white head that leaves as soon as it comes. The aroma is grassy, lemony and spicey. The flavor has hay, lemon zest, and a spicey, crisp finish. The beer is light in body, well carbonated, and easy drinking. A very solid pilsner.

2.72/5  rDev -29.5%

I am a HUGE Sam Adams fan and this was an utter disappointment. It smells good and makes me think of spring, but when I tasted it I did not get that feeling. Its much lighter in color than I expected and not as sweet. The mouthfeel is not as good as other Sam Adams beers and the drinkability is much less. I recommend most Sam Adams beers, but not this one.

Cheers!

1.64/5  rDev -57.5%

I am utterly shocked and perplexed by the beeradvocate.com score for this beer. I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but I do really enjoy their hallertauer pilsener. That gave me hope for this brew. Alas, this beer is wretched.

Pours a light golden color. Big white foam head. I was perhaps expecting less yellow, more gold.

Smells like crisp, chemical laden bread, some cleaning solvents that perhaps double as noble-esque hops, and a weird mineral pungency.

Taste is really nasty. The yeast and chemical/solvent background make this utterly unpalatable. A pilsener, in my mind, should be "clean," crisp, offer some mineral zest with a sharp, tangy yeast/break background. This is just unpleasantly jumbled and ... I must throw that word out there again ... chemical flavored.

AVoid.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

A golden yellow orange with a thin white foam, noble pils looks a little robust for a pils. The aroma is what you would expect a strong, sharp hop aroma. It has a crisp hop taste and light finish. There is a subtle sweet fruit middle in between the hop notes.

I would say this is exactly as Sam Adams describes, it's just heavy enough to enjoy before spring while reminding you of the crisp spring/summer beers to come.

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%

22oz bomber, I think it was $2.99 from Beverage King in West Lebanon NH. Poured into my chilled trusty O'Doul's pint glass.

Clear lemon yellow brew with a finger of bleach white head. Settles to a thick layer of foam that sticks around for a while and sticks heavily to the glass. Great hop aroma, deep and complex. A thick blend of pine, lemon, grass, on a bready malt background with a bit of silage and caramel. Taste is much less pleasing, a muddy hop bitterness and barely any malt, like a slightly hoppy macrobrew. Dry and a little overly carbonated throughout with a dry finish that has something of the hop complexity seen in the nose. Alcohol slightly apparent.

Overall not a bad brew but seriously lacking on taste and the carbonation is a bit too rigorous. A worthy sampling, but probably won't seek this out again.

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours from the bottle a clean orange color with a monster 4+ fingers of head. I've learned by now that good pilseners require extra head space, so I have a weizen glass in use. Loads of lacing sticks around (more than I've seen in a beer for a long time), and carbonation continually rises from the bottom of the glass. Noble Pils has a very flavorful aroma-- spicy herbal hops, citrus, pepper, coarse grain, and some notes I'd expect from a Bavarian hefe-- orange peel and cloves.

Sipping reveals unrefined flavors of tangy citrus and herbal hops and lemon juice mostly. I don't enjoy Noble Pils's taste as much as the smell, but it's still easy to drink. Body is a little more full and less refreshing than I like in a pils, but perhaps I'm just more partial to the Czech variety than the German one. Each sip ends abruptly leaving a dry, leafy feeling in the mouth.

There's some nice flavors in this beer and it looks terrific, but the somewhat raw taste and mouthfeel hurt its drinkability just a little bit for me. Still, I'm glad to see such a widely available pils on the market, so I think Noble Pils is a winner in the end.

3.34/5  rDev -13.5%

Okay, well let's get this started

A- Very nice golden colour with some light lacing, barely any head at all

S- Very malt vinegary, it was very off-setting for me as I'm not a fan of the smell, but...

T- Ah, the taste was so different from the smell! I couldn't believe it! Bitter at first with a clean, refreshing aftertaste. I think this was one of my favorite Sam Adams.

M & D- It was a bit dry for me and I had a hard time finishing it, but over all it was very clean and smooth, surprising indeed!

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

The beer was served in a pint glass. Over the last couple weeks I have had several bottles of this beer. Got to say I like this beer. I wish it had about half again as much hops with same abv.

Appearance: The body of the beer is clear golden yellow. The head was about 2 fingers high and resolves into a thin sheen. Speckles of foam remain on my glass.

Smell: Toasted cereal malt spicy lemon citrus with a floral musky grassy aroma. Very nice but would like a bit more hops.

Taste: The flavor of the beer has a very spicy citrus kick. Very nice toasted caramel malt. This gives way to a nice finishing bitter flavor.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light but not watery. Well balanced hops and maltyness. This has been a throw back beer for me. I would like a bit more hoppy character. Very nice beer drink well done Sam Adams. I am hoping this will be a year round brew.

4.29/5  rDev +11.1%

A- Bright clear light gold with a slight green tinge. Quarter finger snowy head w/ good staying power.

S- Underlying sweet grainy malt aroma surpassed by a bountiful boquet of grassy/floral/spicy hops.

T- Hops, hops, and more hops, the amazing thing is, it's not obnoxious. Great noble hop flavor form start to finish accompanied to near prefection by a subtle but solid slightly caramel malt backbone. The finish is clean and slightly off dry.

M- Clean and crisp with good carbonation that doesn't come across too harsh.

D- Oh, yeah no problem puttin this back. A fine quaffable example of the style.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

A: Golden, clear pilsener goodness. Two-finger white head.

S: Smells like citrus and noble hops. Not too potent though. Just right.

T: Some citrus up front, noble hop taste in the end. Just enough good hop bitterness to taste good but not enough to make you sick of them.

M: Surprisingly smooth, not a ton of carbonation.

D: Very, very drinkable. They should make this a year-round offering. I'd make it my staple beer.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

12 oz bottle

A: Clear, light gold under a medium to large white head. Some decent lace and retention.

S: Hoppy, a bit more citrus that I expected. Pretty balanced, very clean. After a little warming, I get a hint of bubble gum, which isn't bad but a little off for the style.

T: Malt plays a bigger role in the taste department, hops are more pine than citrus when the beer is cooler, but warming seems to bring out a small lemon freshness. Bitterness is mild.

M/D: Light bodied, carbonation is high but the body doesn't fall apart. Drinkability is good, very drinkable. Pretty solid beer all around.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Finally caved and tried the new seasonal. I was pleasantly surprised and it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

A - Clear golden color with a big foamy off-white head. Surprisingly good retention and lacing for a pilsner.

S - Citrus, slightly grassy, and sweet bready malt.

T - Surprising amount of hops right up front! It seems to gradually fade into a normal pilsner taste, but intially it wasn't what I was expecting. Five types of noble hops, delicious! Finishes dry and floral.

M - Light and bubbly but very smooth. Good amount of bite.

D - Very drinkable, and fits the season well. Very light for the amount of flavor you get.

Overall, color me impressed. I will reserve judgment on new Sam Adams products until I've tried them from now on.

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a dark yellow with a small white head that faded fast. The smell is inviting, complex hop aroma but not super powerful, some floral and sweet notes as well. Taste starts mild with some nice hop flavor, a slight bitterness on the tongue. There are some nice flavors happening from the different hops. The beer finishes crisp with a stronger bitterness, but still very light. The next sip seems sweeter due to the bitter finish. This has a medium mouthfeel, not very smooth due to the hops, but still enjoyable. This is a nice session beer, nice flavor, worth checking out.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: A crystal-clear golden body capped by a finger and a half of white head that leaves nice patches of lacing,

Aroma: Lemony and grassy noble hops over a honeyish sweet pale malt body.

Flavor: Up front, a wave of grassy, herbal, lightly spicy, lemony, and mildly bitter hops. Underneath, a sweet and cracker-like Pilsener malt backbone. It's all balanced very nicely. Lemony hops and grainy malt in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied with medium-full carbonation. Crisp and clean with a drying finish.

Drinkability: This is an easy drinker and perfect for a warm spring afternoon.

Verdict: Noble Pils is a brilliant little beer. It's simple and easy drinking, yet interesting and complex at the same time. As a result, it's the perfect beer for enlightening those curious about the world of craft beers.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep, golden, 24 karat, with a white foam that leaves some lacing on the glass as it dissipates.

I haven't had a lot of American pilsners, but this one is now my favorite. There is a solid, crisp maltiness on par with German pils that I have tried and a hop presence that is assertive enough to make an impression on taste and smell. Slight grainy sweetness in the front, with a finish that is satisfyingly dry, with a hint of a carbonation bite. The most disappointing part of this beer is that it is seasonal.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured a clear light gold with some white head. It smelled like sweet bready yeast and some grassy and lemon hops. It tasted like crisp lemon and grassy hops, with some sweet bready yeast and a bit of light barley malt. It was slightly thick with moderate carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a very clean and refreshing beer, which was perfect for spring or summer and was quite easy to drink. The flavor and body seemed fitting for the style, but weren't anything too exciting. Good beer, but probably not one I'll come back to.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

The brew has a virtually clear yellow color with a moderate foamy head. The smell has a light citrus aroma, nothing spectacular. The taste continued the faint citrus flavor and feels very refreshing and light. This is a drinkable beer to enjoy while relaxing on the patio.

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Faint straw yellow with a weakish 1 finger head. But still nice, colorful and consistent.

S: A twinge of hops in the nose with the cereal and corn in the rear. Very clean and pleasant to the nose.

T: Nice bit of a hop snap upon first sip then mellows out into classic pilsner taste. The aftertaste really carries through.

M: Maybe a bit too aggressive but I guess it fits the style. Has a nice oiliness and not too thin.

D: Highly easy drinking. You won't even notice you finished it.

Pretty impressive. I am a bit burnt out of heavy beers lately and this really hit the spot. Not the best of it's style but it really ranks up there. Reminds of a hoppier SN Summerfest. I would buy this again.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a nice crisp and clear looking yellow, almost a clear mustard color.

It smells like your standard pils, but with some hops at the beginning and an almost undetectable floral scent to round it off at the end.

As for taste, it is a dryer hoppier version of a pils. I'm not sure it should even be called a pils to be honest. If I were rating this on how good of a pils it is I would have to rate it lower, but I am going to just rate it based on how I like it. As for how I like it, I find it pretty delicious. It tastes how it smells and I can appreciate that, there is a good amount of hoppiness and citrus, with a floral finish.

I find this very drinkable, but the mouthfeel is a bit carbonated for what I would want. It prevents some enjoyment of the flavor.

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours yellow with a slight haze. I have always thought of Pils to be clear. But the haze tells me there are hops in there. The aroma is the best part of this beer for me. It smells not just citrusy as in lemons, but smells refreshing and spring like. Tastes a little soapy, more or less like the Boston Lager, but finishes a bit more bitter.

-Bye

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

on tap at Gino's East - Chicago, poured into a plastic tumbler - BOO!

pour was crisp clear yellow with a nice light fizzy head

not much on the nose, light malts and a very faint floral hoppy scent.

flavor was a bit different from the bottle. i picked up more bitterness in the finish, less hops through out, and a lightly sweet malt backbone that dominated. started out malty and continued until the finish where a nice bitterness emerged. overall, i prefer the bottle but this was still good.

very light and easy, moderate carbonation.

pretty easy to drink and not as good as the bottle. paired well with deep dish pizza.

4.39/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Samuel Adams Noble Pils, 12oz bottle, ?, 12MAR, Pils glass
A - Crisp, yellow color with active bubbling and a thin creamy head that dissipates rapidly. It looks refreshing.
S - Hoppy smell, with pine, citrus, and grass. Also, I'm oddly getting a subtle vanilla aroma. All-in-all, smells like a pils.
T - The hop aromas translate very well into flavors here. A severe spiciness, grassy, and mildly piney...also a breadiness, and citrus on the finish. This is actual a very good pils. I'm usually a fan of Sam Adams brews, though I know some people accuse them of being a Macro micro brew, and that their brews sometimes fall short of impressive. This, though, is a perfect pils. There is quite an intriguing combination of hop flavors, and the hops are definitely the star of the show, but this is still subtle and refreshing enough to be a good pils, and not a light American IPA.
M - Nothing too out of the ordinary here. Bubbly and light, though there is a bit of smooth creaminess.
D - Here comes spring! Delicious and flavorful BUT light and easy drinking. The hop flavors are dominant, but the bitterness is not overwhelming, which makes this a classic pils, and definitely a session beer.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Clear, golden body with white, powdery head that leaves some lacing. A bold aroma of fresh hops, dry greens, and some mint. Refreshing taste of fresh hops, grass, dry greens, smooth mint, floral notes, evergreens, slight alcohol, and some grain/cereal. Light in body with zesty carbonation. If I were lost in the desert for 30 days and found my way to a bar in the oasis, I wouldn't look for water, I would ask for this beer. So refreshing that I wouldn't be surprised if you see Dwayne Wade in these commercials soon.

4.62/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(Served in a Pokal) enjoy before June
A- This beer has a deep golden yellow crystal clear body with a spongy snow white head that fades to a thick film and last for the full beer. There is a sea of tiny bubbles supporting the head.
S- The fresh smell of Noble green hop pellets has a great depth to it with some woody hints and some earthy hints. It is followed by a soft pale malt wort aroma and a hop finish with mint and oregano qualities. I just can stop sniffing this beer. T- This beer has a soft slightly sweet but dry pale malt flavor that is clean with hints of dough coming through when it warms. The finish is a pine Noble hop flavor with a soft green bite to it.
M- This beer has a light crisp mouthfeel with a dry clean finish and no alcohol heat noted.
D- This beer is crisp fresh and lagered with a great depth to the hops yet still being very drinkable. There were no sulfury flavors and it wasn't thin and watery in any way. I will be getting more of this when summer hits.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)