Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Ratings: 3,662 |  Reviews: 1,512
4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

After having quite a few high octane beers in the recent past drinking something like this is a useful and pleasing change of pace.
I like a good pilsner and this one certainly qualifies. Dry, crisp and refreshing, I could see going through cases of these pretty easily, especially considering the price point. I always suspected that Sam Adams could brew something like this and I am glad to have it. I've their beers, for the most part, tending towards being too heavy on sweetness. Noble Pils does not err in that direction at all.
Bright, grassy, with notes of fresh baked baguette. This is good enough to merit a side by side with Prima pils, Stoudts, and my other favorites. I look forward to this day!

3.74/5  rDev -3.1%

the bev-mo guy said it wasn't worth it to buy but bought a 6-er anyway. been enjoying it. poured into my bruery tulip

a - nice looking golden/amberish color. clear w/ about a finger's head.

s - i dont really smell much. little malt and slight hop. but not too impressed w/ the aroma.

t - clean and crisp flavor. malt upfront with some bite at the end. very balanced. bready at the end.

m - pretty light good amount of carbonation. refreshing.

d - very easy to drink. can knock a few back easily. great pils.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Perfectly clear, golden brown, with a quick fading white head but leaves sticky lace all the way down the glass.

S - A little faint but the super earthy and pine hops take over the scent. The malt smell is fragrant and musty and pairs perfectly with the hops.

T - This is where this beer shines for me. The hops pop right from the start with flavors of grass, pine, and a little lemon in the aftertaste. The grain bill provides a dry, corn, bready flavor. The hop selection isn't my favorite in any other beer but paired with the gains used they work superbly.

M/ D - Medium body which finishes semi dry due to the amount of malt and bittering hops. Carbonated perfectly and smooth on the palate, this brew is super drinkable and begs for another sip.

Sam Adam's hit the nail on the head with this one and made a great move by making noble pils the new seasonal.

3.64/5  rDev -5.7%

I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Adams, but I respect what they do and I have enjoyed a few of their beers in the past. One notable treat from Boston Brewing Company every year is the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Good stuff. But the line as a whole just doesn't do it for me - I don't know, maybe I'm biased towards the somewhat similar Goose Island here in Chicago. Either way, I was delighted when Noble Pils showed up on tap at the bar I work at. I wasn't expecting it to be my kind of beer, but when I took a taste, so I knew what to tell my customers, I was thrilled and I looked forward to getting the chance to review it. So here I am, with an hour to kill at work before my shift starts and I figured I'd dive in and review it:

APPEARANCE: Medium amber color with a very thin head. Not much lacing throughout the glass.

SMELL: I admit I do not have a sensitive nose, but I can barely detect any aroma from Noble Pils. It certainly does not seem to convey any sense of flavor.

TASTE: Despite the deceiving lack of smell, the first sip of Noble Pils hits you like a ton of bricks...if bricks felt fantastic hitting you and tasted delicious. The blend of Noble Hops provides a very crisp and powerful hop-filled flavor. Despite the complexity of what goes into this beer, it does not have a complicated taste. Which is no knock against it, it is simply a straightforward, solid, bitter and hoppy beer - just the way I like it.

FEEL: The initial blast of carbonation is strong in a pleasant way, but it quickly fades and flattens out.

OVERALL: The taste is what drives this beer. Sam Adams takes the time to pay attention to detail in their beers, but this one seemed to be all about the flavor - once again, not a bad thing, just left a little to be desired in the look, smell and feel departments. At 5.2%, however, along with an excellent taste, Noble Pils makes a fantastic session beer.

1.15/5  rDev -70.2%

I had this at a local Italian pizza shop.

This was very weak beer. The hops were barely there. It reminded me of Budweiser with a bitter blah-ness. It was just awful. I tried to like this beer. But Sam Adams is just putting names on stuff to make the beers sound like they may taste good. They failed here.

You want a good pilsner? Drink a Warsteiner.

Cheers!

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Transparent gold with a bright white head that fades to a solid lace.

S: Hops are the major note here, with fainter hints of grain husk and something sweet.

T: Again, the hops dominate here, with a variety of flavors from spicy to a bit grassy, and some citrus. Really an interesting layering of hops here. The malt is present, but very subdued.

M: Mouthfeel is nice, save for the beer being overcarbed. While I understand many pilsners have higher carbonation levels, this seems too much with the presence of the hops here.

D: Definitely quaffable, and I could see wandering (or stumbling) back to the fridge for several.

3.61/5  rDev -6.5%

On-tap at the Hamden Playwright into a shaker pint.

A: Clear light-gold body under a finger of tight, creamy white head. Good retention and lots of light lace. Pretty great for a fizzy yellow beer.

S: Clean grain and some subdued noble hops. Appropriate for the style, but nothing mind-blowing.

T: Follows the nose, but with greater emphasis on the spicy hops and a bit more depth to the pilsner malt. Pretty nice.

M: Pretty full-bodied for a pils, but over-loaded with excessively sharp carbonation.

D: Something about the hops here is making this a surprising struggle for me to finish. Not as refreshing as I'd expect.

Notes: Definitely a solid pils, but not something I'll be seeking out. I would like to try it side-by-side with Prima Pils, though.

Cheers!

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours yellow with a nice white head. Solid retention.

S: Earthy hops, with a hint of lime.

T: Nice bready malt, secondary flavours of cracked wheat/bulghur which I liked. Nice hop finish, grassy with a rustic flair.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, good hoppy finish.

D: A solid pils, not mind-blowing, but a good beer.

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz bottle, best before May 2010. Pours light golden amber with a one finger white head, relatively foamy head but is short-lived. Retains a small cap and is leaving a few spots of lacing.

Aroma is floral, spicy, a bit of pine and citrus, a little bready malt, a touch of soap.

Flavor is clean floral and citrus hops with a bit of sweet malt which is followed by a good dose of spicy bitterness, there is a little of that soapy flavor there too. Finishes with a mix of lingering bitterness and sweetness.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, prickly, clean, pretty easy drinking.

This is my first "good" pilsner, and is close to what I expected, although more hoppy than I thought it would be. I'm going to pick up singles of Prima Pils & Mama's Little Yella Pils and compare with the other bottle of this I have.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

i bought a sixer of this a few weeks ago and was waiting for my last one to write the review so i could really give it my best go at it. the first 4 were very good. there was snow on the ground and as i consumed these i was like "hey this is pretty good, but i'm not ready for it yet" (as i cracked open another southern tier choklat). but today it reached a whopping 55 degrees, and i fired up the grill and cracked my last 2 noble pils. wow...the mood and conditions really got me amped as i knocked back my last 2 of these. really smooth, great color, great smell, not too heavy, extremely drinkable, and as it warmed it still tasted pretty bad ass. lovin' it...

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

A-Poured into a 12oz beer glass. Golden color, with a 1/4 inch of foam. 4

S-Light malt scent and hoppiness. A very Springy aroma. A touch of citrus. 3.5

T-I guess I was expecting more, but am not really disappointed. Very earthy hops. 3.5

M-Light body, quite smooth going down. 4

Samuel Adams succeeded in their quest for a quality Spring beer. Enjoying two of these makes for an excellent afternoon.

This is one of the best Sam Adams offerings to date.

Light color with excellent head and retention.

Smell is slightly grainy, but not overly so with spicy noble hops.

Light pils malt with a perfect balance of noble hop flavors to keep the beer interesting and still sessionable.

Crisp mouthfeel and excellent drinkability.

I thought the combination of all the noble hops would be gimmicky and not all that great, however it's wonderfully done.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A fore sure re-buy, I enjoyed this beer a lot. I have not had a wide variety of pilseners, but from what ive come to expect from them was a little different than what i got here. For me this beer had a nice hoppy flavor and great drink-ability, Another good entry from sammy

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Out of a 12 ounce bottle and into my standard shaker glass. The pils appears a clear golden yellow color with about a finger or so of white foam. Nose and flavors are of fruits such as white grapes, lightly toasted bread grains, sweet biscuits, earthy, grassy hops. Very clean and fresh tasting. Medium bodied for a pils and amply carbonated as well. A nice attempt, one I'll pick up again as the weather breaks.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

A- Poured into a 12oz Beer Glass, Appears to be a Medium Golden Color, with a very slim line of head

S- you can somewhat smell the blended hops, but i do have a snuffed up nose.

T- Light at the first touch of the lips, Then Bam, you can immediatly taste the hops. Great Pils.

M- light/ medium. but crisp and refreshing

D- Definatly Drinkable. In Fact, i would greatly enjoy a six pack to myself.

Great Job guys at sam adams, looking forward to many more great brews

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

I was pleasantly surprised by this offering from Sam, great spring beer, light, but has flavor, slight hint of fruit or citrus, but very subtle, but you know its there.

I'd buy a 12 pack or case and keep it on hand for the spring. Pours a light golden brown, nice smell to it, you can smell the citrus.

You could drink these all day and not get tired of them.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a Guiness Pint Glass

Appearance- A clear, well carbonated, golden beer with a decent head and some good lacing as it goes down.

Smell- Mild earthy hops and a faint scent of malt. Nothing too escpetional here.

Taste- Nothing fantastic, but definetly good. Earthy hops are present throughout the experience. In the middle there is a nice malt backbone. Descent taste.

Mouthfeel- light/medium body. Felt more like a standard lager than a pils, but nothing offensive. Goes down smooth

An overall solid brew from SA. Not as good as the Boston Lager, but still a good beer. Also, very sessionable. Enjoy!

4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Served on tap twice i the past week - Leroy Selmons in Tampa, FL, and at a more local joint a few days later.

Color is a golden yellow, very picturesque. Brilliantly clear, low foam. Very sticky on the sides.

Mild but pleasing aroma. some grains in there, blended with the hops. makes me....thirsty.

Taste is clean, crisp, backd by a subtle tasty hop. Basically, everything you'd want in a pils. Believe the hype, this beer delivers.

Nicely balanced carbonation in the mouthfeel. Very pleasing.

Very, very drinkable. One only is difficult. Buy these, buy in bulk.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz bottle into a Boston Lager glass pours a crisp bubbly straw light orange with a decent eggshell head. Aroma is crisp earthy hops with a nice sweet malts profile right behind. The taste is a nice amount of floral hops and sweet biscuity malts with a nice lingering hop finish. The beer is light bodied with smooth carbonation. This is a very enjoyable lager for a warm night.

4.26/5  rDev +10.4%

I really liked this beer, more than others on this site. Before I was a beer guy, I liked wine, although I don't think I was ever as into wine as I have become into beer. Nonetheless, I think I have enough wine knowledge to make the comparison of this beer to the Sauvignon Blanc grape. This beer is light in body and in color, very pretty and lightly golden, and pungently grassy in both aroma and flavor.

It pours beautifully into a glass, with a light golden (and vaguely greenish?) color and a tall white head with great lacing. Aroma is grass, hops, and lightly bready. Flavor is more of the same. Mouthfeel is light, refreshing, and would be perfect for a warm day - reminded me a touch of a Kolsch.

This beer is quite nice. I hope it sticks around. I am not a big fan of the Sam Adams franchise, but I really like this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

A pretty beer. Pours with a fluffy three-finger head, straw yellow and leaves sticky lacing going down. Maintains good carbonation throughout. The aroma is very nice, spicy hops. The hops disappear a little bit in the taste, allowing good malt backbone to come forward. Clean taste and refreshing, like a pils should be.

Overall, I like this beer, a lot. I'm not much of a pilsner guy, but am about to brew one and have been boning up on the better ones out there on the market. I think this qualifies.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

Looks like apple juice. A very small white head.

The citrus/grapefruit and hops smell just hits you. Intertwined well with that pilsner smell.

The taste is similar to the seeds of an orange/grapefruit. Similar to the nose. The citrus notes go hand in hand with a pilsner taste.

A clean, crisp, and flavorful pilsner.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Slightly darker version of an Pilsner. It is difficult to tell because I was in a bar. The head was a slighly off white dead that was overly large and had decent staying power. Decent lacing to.

Smell- Typical Pils aromas. Decent maltiness, a hint of hops coming though, some malt sweetness. Maybe some pale malts in there too, and a hint of earthiness.

Taste- Taste like a well-crafted Plisner. Just what hoping. Nice malt sweetness up front with hints of maltiness, maybe a bare hint of caramel. Big, but not overwhelming hops presence. Some earthiness, fair amount of pine and citrus (for a pilsner, nothing like a pale ale tho). Kind of a nice cross between a pale ale and a Pilsner. It was quite yummy.

Mouthfeel- Not nearly as refreshing as a Pilsner. A cross between a Pils and a pale ale (again.). It works.

Drinkability- I liked it.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

A - A clear golden yellow body which was appropriate for the style...a small foamy, white head formed and slowly disappeared...some lacing

S - Earthy hops stand out with the addition of the Noble hops...a light grainiess lingers in the background

T - The flavor is surprisingly well balanced and crisp...the hops stand out again as earthy and they are present at the beginning and end of the beer...the pale malts round out the flavors in the middle...there is also that touch of grain in there...a fresh lemon flavor also stood out and was a nice touch

M - Light bodied...crisp and refreshing

D - The drinkability is there...I'd prefer this in the summer over a Summer Ale...a solid pilsener from the company we've come to expect everything from

4.13/5  rDev +7%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A gift from largadeer. Thanks Chris.

A: Pours a clear straw-gold body; it shines brilliantly in the light. The cap is a frothy off-white affair that retains very well and leaves nice register marks down the sides of the tulip.

S: The earthy, leafy, green aromas of Noble hops (duh) waft toward my nose. They are supplemented by light lemony cracker, honey, and somewhat spicy aromas. Pretty nice.

T: A balanced blend of hop flavors -- earthy, lemony, green -- and cracker. The taste later brings out hints of honey and finishes with some spice and grass. I've tasted better pilseners, but I suspect those aren't brewed true to style (hoppier than this one). Nonetheless, I can't complain much.

M: Light-bodied; very crisp, clean flavor. No lingering bitterness. Goes down very well. Is this a year round offering? It seems like it would work very well as a refreshing summer beverage, not when it's cold and rainy out.

D: I was wondering why people made such a big deal about this brew, but I get it now. It's not overhopped or overdone; it's balanced, clean, and tasty. Good stuff.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)