Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils
3.75/5
Very Good
Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: German Pilsener

Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste.

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Ratings: 3,726 |  Reviews: 1,525

This was served in the a standard pint, I was kind of hoping for a SA perfect pint glass, but the bar said all of theirs have managed to "walk out the door"...

The beer is a bright gold with excellent clarity. Bone white head and decent lacing.

It has an inviting aroma of fresh grains and floral hops.

The taste is brisk with some nice bitterness. The grains add a bit of sweetness but the hops rule the roost on this one.

The mouth is crisp and the carbonation is spot on. Very easy drinker that goes great with pizza, burgers, etc. Nice job Sam!

3.11/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner. Best before June marked on the bottle.

A- Clear golden color with lots of visible carbonation. An aggressive pour produced a 1 finger head which had some retention. Not much lacing to speak of.

S- I was disappointed here. It seemed very light. Some hops, some bitter citrus fruit, not particularly pleasant.

T- Better than the nose. The bitter hops are most prevalent with lemon citrus notes. Some bready malt near the end.

M- Lots of carbonation, light body.

D- This was an average beer. I was disappointed in the nose to be certain but it tasted much better. The refreshment factor is pretty high but there are many beers I would prefer in the same price range.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Clear gold, with a white head. Decent lacing.

S: Quite a bit of hops, more than expected. A little citrus in there.

T: First impression, wow, a lot more hoppy than expected from a pilsner. Not sure if this is as appropriate for the style? But, I love me some hops, so I'll take it. Has a bit of malty sweetness to it as a backing, but the bitterness of the hops is pretty overpowering here, in a good way.

M: Not that heavy at all, no crazy amount of carbonation. Crisp and enjoyable.

D: I was pretty upset that the White Ale was being replaced by this, but after finally having it, it's not too big of a loss. This is enjoyable for beer lovers, and the occasional beer drinker. A solid offering from SA, I must say.

4.05/5  rDev +8%

Tried this in the upper east side of manhattan at some random irish pub with a mediocre selection.

But the noble pils is by no means part of the mediocrity- if anything, it rises above it proving sam adams to be a decent beer company as usual.

Pour is nice orange skinned and transparent, with carbonation going within. really exciting though (this may sound strange but in my head it's pretty coherent) is the head, abundant, i haven't seen one such in a while here (maybe it was a lousy pour or something! but every other beer has seemed short on head and i'm guessing it's barometric). nice, thick compact foamy head.

Smelly, too. nice crisp malty smell, just a tad hoppy but for the most part that sweet metallic feel so typical of pilseners, but more inclined towards the sweetness as per these german pilseners. not bad.

Taste is pale ale-ish (if you catch my drift) but with a distinctive pils lager feel (and i'm not just saying that) in terms of the thickness and, i dunno, the background malty sensation as a whole. sort of a half pleasant skunky feel if you wish. yet, there's a background mouldyness that threw me off and certainly made it all the more pleasant.

Nice bodied too, a tad oily but for the most part well carbonated and not thin but satisfyingly light-bodied. And it goes down well. kudos again to the SA.

2.91/5  rDev -22.4%

I had this on tap into a pint glass.

The beer pours a clear gold, lots of carbonation, with a finger of white head. The retention and lacing are decent.

The aroma is super light, a little hops, a finish of lime, which is not cool, and lots of skunk.

The taste is also mostly skunky, only a bit of hops at the end.

This is just another micro in macro sheeps clothing. Boo Sam.

4.23/5  rDev +12.8%

Goodbye White Ale, hello Noble Pils! On to the beer:

In between yellow and gold is the color. The lively carbonation running through the body is a lovely site, and the thick, frothy head on top holding well on top creates that stereotypical look we know as beer. The nose is a little sweeter than expected. Carmel, fruit, and some grass notes are found. It's still fine as is.

SA Noble Pils tastes like a pale, long lost sibling to SA Boston Lager. There's the carmel again, but also add sweet bready flavors, some mango, hop oils, and a few grassy notes, and there you go. Carbonation is soft in thie light body.

That 12 ounce bottle went down fast. I still prefer Boston Lager over this, but the Noble Pils warrants a future 12-pack purchase for lazy drinking and good cost/benefit. At the very least, it's better than the deceased SA White Ale. But why this was released in January for the spring season is beyond me.

2.91/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle date states its best before May.

Appearance: pours into my Ommegang glass a clear golden color with extremely fine bubbles rising from the bottom, an extremely thin coating on the surface of the beer as far as the head goes.

Smell: first to hit my nose is the aroma of a bitter citrus fruit, followed by the familiar smell I associate with a Sam Adams Boston Lager.

Taste: a bitter hops taste dominates this beer, then I get the typical pilsner flavor, then there is also a yeasty aftertaste that really hangs around for a while in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: a little watery, but still not bad.

Drinkability: it is nice to see a lighter style of beer use a good amount of hops in it, that said I would have liked for there to have been a more balanced hops taste rather than just achieving a bitter flavor in the brew, I cannot detect any significant piney or floral hop taste/smell and I would have preferred a mixture of these tastes. Overall still a good beer if your at a barbeque or enjoying the warm weather somewhere.

4.92/5  rDev +31.2%

I see some bad reviews for this on here, i have to wonder if there were maybe some bad batches? By that I mean, giving this less than a 5 in aroma is crazy, this is by far, the best smelling beer i have ever put my nose to, smells like a noble IPA. hardly any IPA's pack that much aroma in the nose, maybe o'dells, in colorado is close. the appearance is light and yellow, but i don't see that a downside like many, it could be purple if it tasted and smelled this good. I drove 90 miles twice in one week to get more. i will drive it again, and buy as much as i can before it goes off season, which will be incredibly dissapointing. This is desert island beer, i could drink this and this alone every day if pushed. as far as mouthfeel, its average, but its a lager/pilsner, so its right in line with the style.

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Golden yellow without much of a head at all

S: A citrus and hoppy smell

T: Good, but more bitter than I expected. I have not had a Pilsner before that was this bitter. Also a hint of citrus.

M: Carbonated but not too much

D: Very drinkable, one of my favorite Sam Adams beers.

Traded some beers with a friend since he bought this and wanted to give it a try. I always have a bottle of the Sam Adams White Ale but this year, this was the new Spring Ale by these guys. I wasn't sure what to expect and will always have a soft spot for the former seasonal, as it was one of the beers that opened my eyes to what else was out there. As much as I miss it, this is also worthy of being brewed for this time of the year!

This had quite a head on it as I poured it into my pint glass, enough that I had to wait a second before getting the last bit out of the bottle. The lacing isn't quite as prevalent but that's about the only drawback to this. Much like the Victory Prima Pils, this is a nice goldenrod color with a wonderful clarity and crispness to it both in appearance and taste. Lots of grapefruit citrus, malt, European-style hops, and some sourness to this. It has a bit of that biscuity-type mouthfeel to it but this certainly isn't heavy and amzingly well balanced for a beer that could easily have tended to the watered-down side. I've never been to Europe but if a Pils from the Czech Republic ever caught on here, my guess is that it would taste something like this!

Although this isn't that strong, I can't see myself ever turning this into a session beer. Sam has a worthy offering here after the last few new brews I sampled from these guys let me down just a bit. It's not for the novice dinker but for anyone who can appreciate a good beer that isn't too overly complex, there's no need to look any further. Sure, I like my spring beers to be cloudy and a bit spicy but this fits the season well and surely will make me "take pride in my beer" for the first time in a while. Cheers to Sam for brewing this and shaking up their portfolio!

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

I anticipated this well-advertised pilsner, as it's a seasonal lager from the always dependable (though never flashy) Samuel Adams. Brewed with 5 different Noble hops from around the world, this pours a golden yellow, with little discernable aroma, oddly. The abundance of suds subsides to reveal a clean, floral hoppy character (not a shocker, there) that's light and smooth, with a nice "flavor roll", which is the mark of a complex, quality brew to my taste buds. Superb.

Added notes from early 2011 tasting:
Light golden-yellowish in color.
Good, large white head of foam and surprisingly ornate lace.
Aroma is citrus hoppy. Nice.
Flavor is light, with a well-balanced mix of sweetness and sharp hop snap near the finish.
This is a delicious warm-weather brew, and one that deserves repeat purchase.

3.19/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Typical golden yellow color of a Pilsner. Bright with a small trail of carbonization bubbles floating up from the center. Bright white head that stays around for a while.

S: Strong hop smell jumps out at you. Lots of grapefruit, a little lemon. Generally citrus. Balanced against the more typical bready lager aromas. Almost like I squeezed a lemon into a typical Sam Adams lager. Is that a good thing though?

T: Citrus hops really dominate up front, more lemon than anything. Then the hops fade a little and the bready malt flavors come more into play. Leave a little bitterness at the end. I still can't get away from the feeling that this is a normal pilsner with a lemon.

M: Well carbonanted, fairly light, although not as light as many lagers or pilsners. Refreshing.

D: Not a bad example of a hoppy pilsner (not that I have much experience with said beers). I didn't get much floral or piney hop flavor - mainly the lemon which kind of got stuck in my head as I drank the beer. It was enjoyable, but not generally in my style range. I wouldn't complain about drinking this at a party or in the airport, but wouldn't pick up a sixer of it.

4.05/5  rDev +8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Golden yellow with a half inch white head. After a little while the head is gone, but there is still a very nice lacing that forms.

S: A mix of citrus, bread, and an array of hops.

T: A gentle touch of citrus with a yeasty, bread-like taste at first. This is followed by a bitter punch of the 5 kinds of hops. Much more of a bitter finish than I've had in other pilsners.

M: Nice carbonation. Finishes a little drier than I had hoped.

D: I found the bitter finish kind of addicting. I've actually been on a binge with this beer on-tap lately. I am just now getting around to reviewing it. This is my new favorite beer from Sam Adams.

4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Served in a pilsener glass:
A: clear and gold; frothy head; quite bubbly; very nice lacing and great retention on the head

S: Your typical grainy and slightly earthy lager aroma but with the addition of a hop bouquet, which creates a nice complement; citrus-particularly lemon-as well as some floral qualities

T: Hop bitterness up front but that diminishes on backend where the grainy malt quality persists more strongly; I love how for a lager this beer has the citrus and floral qualities of the hops--subtle as they be--shooting through your nose

F: Pretty good mouth feel--although the consistency is a bit thin; I like that the carbonation isn't overwhelming--but it may be a bit off

D: This is the definition of a session beer; it really is a quality example of the style; so much flavor and yet so subtle and simple.

4.07/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a light golden color with a thin bubbly head. Pretty typical for a pilsner.

Smell is very sharp and crisp, many hop aromas come through along with a bready malt scent.

Taste is pretty darn solid, very crisp with a solid hop presence. Malts come through in the finish, very lightly, but you can tell they are there.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, quite a pleasant experience.

Drinkability is superb, a very nicely done pilsner from Sam Adams.

3.97/5  rDev +5.9%

Very nice color when poured into my pint glass, a smooth disappearing head foams away quickly.

A bit of sharp grain and citrusy aroma when shooken around the nose.

A fast-hitting, sharp hoppy pilsner! Taste is immediately recognizable, and remains throughout... an almost sweet after-taste.

Very malty, yet very much drinkability. Good stuff all around!

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Tasty light bodied Pilsener with nice hops.

Clean, piney, refreshing taste with surprising bitterness. But aromatic hops assert themselves. Sam Adams has done their research on blending the hop flavors. I hope this will be widely available and do a lot to introduce hops to a PG audience. I think this is my favorite Sam Adams beer. Some of the others are not very flavorful.

Great hops, drinkable, refreshing.

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is clear, golden colored with a decent head (about an inch and a half). Head fades to a solid cap that leaves little lacing.

Smell: Scent of a decent hopping comes through quickly. Bursting with aromatic hops, floral and lemony zest aromas. Much more hoppy than I typically expect for a pilsner. One of the most aromatic pilsners I have poured.

Taste: Follows the scent of the beer. Some lemony citrous zing, malts seem subdued by a bracing, bitter finish. Not what I would call a textbook pilsner, but very interesting.

Mouthfeel: While I want to call this a medium bodied beer, it is well carbonated and that helps to keep it light and lively. Crisp and "clean" (no lingering aftertaste) going down.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer, if you like hoppy pilsners. While this would not be an overly hoppy beer if it were an IPA, it maybe on par hop-wise with some APA's, it is on the hoppy/bitter side of the malt/hops balance of flavors. Unfortunately, I do not think that many pils drinkers want a beer this hop-centric.

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours clear golden amber with one inch of white head. The head recedes quickly leaving a cap all the way to the bottom of the 16 ounce shaker glass. Lacings were good but had mostly disappeared by the end.
Aroma was surprisingly powerful piney citrus hops.
Taste is light cracker malts with a burst of bitter resinous hops. Lemon zest, some grass, leather, and a nice dry bitter finish.
Body was quite full for the style with a good deal of carbonation.
I passed on buying this beer when it first showed in my area but lack of new beers to try and a sale price tempted me to try it. I am glad I did now. I am working on my third as I write this and noticed the third bottle is two months older than the previous tastes. IMO you should look for the freshest bottles to really enjoy this beer. This last bottle was much less rich in the flavor department.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours into a pint glass a clear golden-yellow with a billowy white head that soon disappears.

Smells grainy with a sharp spicyness and slight citrusy note of hops.

The noble hops taste is very prevalent, delicious and spicy without being very bitter. Sweet malty, almost biscuit taste. Very clean, finishes dry.

Medium-bodied, maybe a little liberal with the carbonation, but very easy-drinking.

3.97/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a straw color with a 1/2 finger white head that quickly dissipates. Some lacing.

Smell is floral hops, yeast and slightly lemony. The taste is herbal & floral hops, bitter/sour lemon, and yeast. Herbal aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is clean, crisp.

This is a very drinkable pils. More flavor than many pilseners out there thanks to the noble hops.

4.05/5  rDev +8%

The Noble Pils is much better on tap that it is in the bottle. I tried this beer in a bottle a few weeks ago and wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with the draft version. The draft has a much bolder color with more head retention and a significantly better flavor.

Slightly floral aroma mixed in with the hops. The flavor was much more complex with a very distinct hop flavor with a smooth and delicious aftertaste. A very solid beer and definitely worthwhile to try on tap if all you have had is the bottled version.

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my SA perfect pint glass. It pours a clear,. gold with a 2 finger white head that leaves as soon as it comes. The aroma is grassy, lemony and spicey. The flavor has hay, lemon zest, and a spicey, crisp finish. The beer is light in body, well carbonated, and easy drinking. A very solid pilsner.

2.72/5  rDev -27.5%

I am a HUGE Sam Adams fan and this was an utter disappointment. It smells good and makes me think of spring, but when I tasted it I did not get that feeling. Its much lighter in color than I expected and not as sweet. The mouthfeel is not as good as other Sam Adams beers and the drinkability is much less. I recommend most Sam Adams beers, but not this one.

Cheers!

1.64/5  rDev -56.3%

I am utterly shocked and perplexed by the beeradvocate.com score for this beer. I'm not a big Sam Adams fan, but I do really enjoy their hallertauer pilsener. That gave me hope for this brew. Alas, this beer is wretched.

Pours a light golden color. Big white foam head. I was perhaps expecting less yellow, more gold.

Smells like crisp, chemical laden bread, some cleaning solvents that perhaps double as noble-esque hops, and a weird mineral pungency.

Taste is really nasty. The yeast and chemical/solvent background make this utterly unpalatable. A pilsener, in my mind, should be "clean," crisp, offer some mineral zest with a sharp, tangy yeast/break background. This is just unpleasantly jumbled and ... I must throw that word out there again ... chemical flavored.

AVoid.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.75 out of 5 with 3,726 ratings