Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Reviews: 1,489 | Ratings: 3,564
3.19/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Typical golden yellow color of a Pilsner. Bright with a small trail of carbonization bubbles floating up from the center. Bright white head that stays around for a while.

S: Strong hop smell jumps out at you. Lots of grapefruit, a little lemon. Generally citrus. Balanced against the more typical bready lager aromas. Almost like I squeezed a lemon into a typical Sam Adams lager. Is that a good thing though?

T: Citrus hops really dominate up front, more lemon than anything. Then the hops fade a little and the bready malt flavors come more into play. Leave a little bitterness at the end. I still can't get away from the feeling that this is a normal pilsner with a lemon.

M: Well carbonanted, fairly light, although not as light as many lagers or pilsners. Refreshing.

D: Not a bad example of a hoppy pilsner (not that I have much experience with said beers). I didn't get much floral or piney hop flavor - mainly the lemon which kind of got stuck in my head as I drank the beer. It was enjoyable, but not generally in my style range. I wouldn't complain about drinking this at a party or in the airport, but wouldn't pick up a sixer of it.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

A: A lot lighter than I thought it would pour, very see through. Had a nice head, but it went away fairly quickly, leaving a nice ring which has produced some fairly decent lacing.

S: A lot of hops, obviously, other than that it was fairly one note for me.

T: This came across fairly bitter, more bitter than I was expecting, but it was pleasantly bitter.

M: Felt fairly full for a beer as light as it was.

D: I'd rate this low, not something I'd reach for on a regular basis.

Overall, not Sam Adam's best attempt. Not a big fan.. but it's worth a try.

Cheers.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a clear light straw color with a great sized head, fades at a decent rate, some patchy lacing along the glass as it empties.

Smell is mostly sweet malt but hints of hops and citrus do come through, but quite weak, was expecting a bit more from this.

Taste is surprisingly thin and flavorless, sadly I consider this one of Sam Adam's worst, I'd much rather still have the White Ale and Boston Lager has a much better flavor profile, there isn't much in the way of hops (so much for all 5 noble hops doing anything) and it's mostly malt with a not-so-good bitter aftertaste.

An average pilsner, reach for Sam Adam's Hallertau Imperial Pilsner for a better beer.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a half inch thick head that dissipates quickly. Has very nice lacing.

Smell - The most dominant aroma is pine, along with some bitterness and yeast. Smells like a pale ale.

Taste - Very floral and pine flavored. Light notes of citrus and quite bitter.. Also tastes like a pale ale to me.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with mild carbonation.

Overall - Not my beer of choice. Too bitter. But this is my first time trying this style

3.17/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Cloudy yellow hue with an average head and random spots of lace. Looks more like a hefeweizen than a pilsner. Hmm...

S: Sweet wheat malt - I'm not getting a lot of pilsner flavor. Smells like a slightly fruity summer beer with some artificial sweetness or additives.

T: A bit of disappointment, though my expectations were not exceedingly high. There is an unpleasant soapy taste, along with a bright, wheat flavor. Generally, this beer is just a bit off kilter. There is an undeniable artificial taste that permeates my senses and distracts me from any possible tasty pilsner-like goodness this brew may or may not have to offer. Basically, this doesn't take like a pilsner to me.

M: A bit soapy, fresh carbonation, goes down smooth (though it doesn't taste particularly great).

D: I'd rather get a water than order a second round. In fact, that's what I did. Bummer.

Bb: May 2011

A: pours a light gold ale with a triple finger fine loose bubbling which dissipates quickly. Webbed lacing on the walls.

S: Earthy, farmhouse nose up front. Grain backbone with a nearly offensive amount of farm.

T: Simple, grainy. Plenty of corn flavors. A hint of copper metal on the background.

M: Light body and medium to high carbonation - with excellent finish feel.

O: I'm not quite impressed with this beer, and I'm not particularly going to pursue in the future. In fact, I prefer the SA Lager to this.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

A: Clear golden/amber color, slight 1/2 finger head that dissapates quickly, however nice lacing.

S: Earthy, maybe a little dusty which I found odd. Malty overtones with only slight hoppiness.

T: Crisp and refreshing. Hint of hops, citrusy. I really expected more.

M: A little over carbonated and watery.

D: Not bad, but I really wouldn't call it a session beer.

As I mentioned earlier, I really expected more. This almost reminded me of a Miller Lite going into my mouth until the aftertaste of the Noble Hops. I think I'll stick to ales for now.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Sixer picked up for Saturday's basketball games...

A: Poured into an Oskar Blues pilsner glass - light, straw gold and crystal clear; big, foamy/sudsy, snow white head that leaves some pretty thick patches of sugary lace.

S: Cracker; sweet malts; some light earthy hops.

T: Light bread crust graininess, followed by a crisp hoppiness - orange / lemon rind (kind of reminiscent of Triaminic cough syrup from childhood days) on the finish.

M: Surprisingly more body (medium) than I was expecting; nice feel with a lively carbonation.

D/O: Pretty drinkable, yet kind of boring, even with the citrusy hop finish.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Was excited to see this new offering on the shelf, even though it was in the macro section of the store.

The look was very pale with a tiny head that stayed tell the end.

The smell was light malt, slightly citrus, smells light.

The taste was a huge disappointment started with a sweet malt profile with almost no hop bitterness or taste of the "5 Noble Hops" that one would expect from reading the labeling. Mouthfeel was thin.

This is an OK session beer, but after having there imperial pilsener offering I expected this to be a much smaller version for the masses. I was wrong, it was a weak overpriced german pilsener, with little to no hop presence. Not terrible. Not good.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a good beer overall. But, it really shouldn't be classified as a Pils. The beer poured a bright yellow with good head and decent carbonation. The aroma was grassy bordering on spicy. The front end of this beer was bready and biscuity. Sweet malts could be detected, which evolved into a citrusy bitterness. The finish was malty and bitter with a definite aftertaste.

This lager lacks the typical continental charataristics one would find in North German Pils. A lot of rough edges -especially concerning balance. Perhaps it needs more time in the cellar.

That said, this is still a good beer. Just don't expect the classic German Pils taste profile.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Purchased from Total Wine in Norfolk, Virginia.

(Appearance): Pours a transparent yellowish gold with light amounts of carbonation that bubble to the surface. After about a minute, it settles with a fingernail sized foam head.

(Smell): This Pilsener has a very, very faint aroma of green apples, but nothing else very noticeable. You really have to sniff hard to pull out the smells.

(Taste): The presence of hops is odd in this one, as it is easily the dominant flavor, but not dominant in a way that makes it bitter like a lot of other hoppy beers. I did not sense any floral or citrus like many others have.

(Mouthfeel): Smooth and slightly watery in every area of the mouth except the tongue, which is dominated by a very punctual carbonated and fizzy feeling.

(Drinkability): A decent beer for a spring or summer season, the Sam Adams Noble Pils is light and refreshing, low in ABV, and completely gulpable. The taste isn't the most amazing, however, it is decent enough to recommend over a lot of bar beers that might be found alongside it.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Draft -> giant margarita glass? At a mexican joint for happy hour and this the best tap offering. Have had this a handful of times in the past few weeks. I generally have a few each of the SA seasonals as they come out.

A - crystal clear straw yellow. Little head. No lacing. Fair amount of carb.

S - very little of anything. Slight spicy hop notes.

T - fairly flavorful for the style. Same hop flavor that the aroma advertizes. Light sweet malt notes, crisp clean finish.

M - light bodied, little carb pop

O - Sessionable of course. Super easy to drink. Very good alternative to the flood of crap industrial lagers at most bars. Full flavor and light on the palate. Likely my last of the season. Will have a few next year if it returns.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

12oz bottle into a Stone Cali-Belgie glass. The beer is pale golden color and clear with a thin white head. Apparently all 5 noble hops were used in this, but I couldn't tell from the aroma. Sort of toasty and mild flavored, actually not very different from many other pilsners. The body is average-plus, a little creamy and well carbonated.

Overall OK, nothing special. I really prefer Hallertau Imperial Pilsner.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

A- golden straw color, small bubbles and a very small head that dissipates quickly and doesnt cling to the glass. Not impressive, reminds me if an American Adjunct Lager.

S- some hops and citrus, very faint smell for me tho.

T- nice carbonation, citrus hops come in but in a sweet, easy drinking type of way. No bad aftertaste but not the most amazing tasting beer.

M- nice bubbles on the tongue and a sweet, not overpowering taste.

D- its okay, im not that impressed with it but knowing its a seasonal brew, its very nice for spring time!

3.14/5  rDev -18.7%

Nose is pretty skunky (typical of pilsners in my opinion), slightly lemony. Taste is lemon, peach, orange notes, and some skunk. I am not a pilsner fan and Sam Adams typically disappoints but this is the only pilsner I find palatable. Its not amazing but it works. If I go to a bar and this is all they have, I'm so down. Otherwise, no. I only got it to make sure my memories of it being good weren't outdated.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours golden clear with a half-inch head. The nose is sweet and floral with vague citrus notes. The body is medium-light with a decent crisp finish. Smooth lingering. I expected more hops and more malt. The bitter notes are present as is a hint of pine. Moderate carbonation. Light lacing develops. Could be a session beer. I believe it is too light for a true Pilsner.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Had this on-tap the other night at a local bar. Never had it before but since it's a newer Sam Adams I figured I would give it a try. This was my first real pilsner style beer.

A- Pours a yellow with a large foaming head with little retention time. Not bad appearance.

S- Smells sweet, some honey, hops, grains, a touch of malts.

T- Similar to how it smells: sweet, a little hoppy, grainy. Not overly offensive, but just right. I enjoyed the taste here.

M- A slight carbonation present, not too much, but somewhat average. Goes down nicely.

D- Not too drinkable in my opinion. Not like a light beer for session drinking. I could have probably 2, maybe 3 depending on the occasion.

Not my favorite Samuel Adams, but not terrible either. I would rank this one in the middle of the pack compared to Boston Beer Company's other styles. Overall I thought this one was going to be better than it actually was. A little letdown.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. This beer pours a crisp, golden hay that's so clear; when I hold it close to the computer monitor I can actually read the page behind it. The head a good 3inches and creamy white leaves behind pretty good lacing all the way down the glass. The aroma is light pilsner malt relaying a sweet bready aroma, just a slight caramel and then a lemony brightness from the noble hops. Also at the very tail is a metallic aroma, almost medicinal as in smelling a bottle of aspirin. The taste is very similar. There is not much room to hide anything. A sweet bready pilsner malt works up the entirety of the profile. Just a hint of toffee. Lemon rind and a bit of spices from the hops. Here's the kicker. There is a massive medicinal flavor at the very end of the flavor profile. It reminds me of when you leave an aspirin tablet sitting on your tongue a little to long. The mouthfeel is a bit creamy for the style and it also lacks the stereotypical dryness that comes with so many of its German counterparts. I want to like this beer. I mean really want to like it but I'm just not that impressed with it.

3.12/5  rDev -19.2%

Recently sampled on-tap at a local bar...
Pleasantly drinkable although sorely lacking as far as any hop presence is concerned...
This seems very much like a macro-produced Pilsner and the overall quality was sadly-lacking...
Not highly recommended as far as I'm concerned however an easily drinkable and refreshing beer...

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

Light orange in color, bubbles streaming, with a chunky off-white head that leaves spongy lacing down the glass. Head sticks around. Served in a pilsner glass.

Aroma is biscuity malts, slight sweetness, and even slighter hop notes. A bit less impressive than it's debut last year...

Light malt notes and light hop notes. Grassy hints. There's not much more than that.

Crisp, light, and refreshing.

Pretty easy drinker.

My first experience from the Noble Pils last year was on draft, and I loved it. This didn't wow. I'm confident I have a super fresh sixer too.

Will finish the sixer and adjust as necessary...

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner. Best before June marked on the bottle.

A- Clear golden color with lots of visible carbonation. An aggressive pour produced a 1 finger head which had some retention. Not much lacing to speak of.

S- I was disappointed here. It seemed very light. Some hops, some bitter citrus fruit, not particularly pleasant.

T- Better than the nose. The bitter hops are most prevalent with lemon citrus notes. Some bready malt near the end.

M- Lots of carbonation, light body.

D- This was an average beer. I was disappointed in the nose to be certain but it tasted much better. The refreshment factor is pretty high but there are many beers I would prefer in the same price range.

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a completely clear American gold with a half inch of lingering white head and some lacing. Nice label.

Lots of spicy and floral hops on the nose and palate, citrus and light pils malt. I feel like I'm getting hints of trans-2-nonenal (wet cardboard) but maybe it's just because a few of us were experimenting with the Cicerone off-flavor kit and I'm being a hypochondriac...maybe not..

Nice carbonation, cool and crisp with refreshing bitterness. Overall, not a bad beer but I don't see why it's been rated this high. Average offering from Sam Adams, in my opinion.

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

After reading the reviews, I had to have some of this. But, it is a big disappointment. The smell is great; really nice noble hops aroma, very fresh and noble for sure.
But taste wise; to quote Gertrude Stein in reference to California( no, I don't normally quote her...not that there's anything wrong with quoting her) "there's no 'THERE' there".
Surprizingly watery; way too little hop flavor compared with the tease from the aroma.
Mouthfeel was OK, but again ,kind of thin.
I'll probably give away the rest of the sixer.

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%

Sampled a pint while sitting outside on a beautiful sunny spring day.

Poured into a footed pilsner. Looks beautiful in the glass. Lots of carbonation bubbles but not much lacing as the brew sadly declines in the glass.

A faint hoppiness, tastes more bready to me.

A nice beer to have outside but I think I prefer other Sam Adams offerings if I'm having several.

Overall not a bad brew.

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

(12oz bottle from Total Wine Desert Ridge). Pour hazy golden color with white head. Nice, sticky lacing. Moderate carbonation. Aroma of honey, corn, and hay. Taste is sweet with light bitterness. A bit of a metallic note as well. Medium to full-bodied with a slick texture. Smooth finish. A decent beer, but not a style I crave.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)