Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Reviews: 1,500 | Ratings: 3,612
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Had this on tap, somewhat surprised to see it still available so I'm not too sure about the freshness. Poured a golden color into the glass with about a 1.5 finger head of pure white. Smells of grain, clover honey, some biscuit, and slight grass. Taste was just OK, with the taste following the aromas pretty closely. I was hoping for a little bit more hop presence, but again I'm not sure of the freshness of this keg so that might have an impact. Overall, an average beer at this tasting, but I will give it another try earlier next year.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Box (from Canada) says 5.5%, bottle says 4.8%. BB says March '12, I think. Let's hope so; this was new to my local LCBO. Nice to see something other than Boston Lager in Canada.

Looks like an average pilsner really. Clear golden colour with a small white head that leaves a trace of lace and stays as a collar. Moderate visible carbonation.

Strong lemony citrus aroma, but with a sort of chemical backing and a balloon rubber note. There's a real funkiness to it as well, like wet malts. It has character, I'll give it that.

Very tart lemony citrus taste. Solid malt and grainy backing. Citrus tones turn towards grapefruit on the tongue.

Very crisp, dry and refreshing. Still has some body to it too though.

Well it's flavourful for a North American pilsner, but with the description of the beer and all those hops on the packaging I guess I was expecting a bit more punch. I'll likely try it again though and I'm sure my wife will like it.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Not a pils fan but here we go the appearance is what i expected however a little bit more golden brown than I thought it would be the smell is much better than I thought with a nice citrus smell to it however the taste leaves something to be desired however I could drink quite a few without getting hammered

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Picked up a six pack this weekend to see how this pilsner stacks up.

The beer pours our a very clear golden color with a slight amount of carbonation. Looks a lot like apple juice. The smell is a blend of bitter hops, very crisp. The taste does not follow the smell, I get a small hop presence in the taste with the malt sort of overwhelming the other tastes. Tastes like the same malt that is in Boston Lager. Not impressed, but after a few the taste has grown on me a bit. Mouthfeel is normal, but not very substantial and a bit watery. The beer really shines in its drinkability as it goes down smooth.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Orangish yellow. Clear.
Smell: Very light bitter floral and lemon.
Taste: Light floral and citrus.
Mouthfeel: Dry. Pretty carbonated.

This is very floral to me, but has the odd bitterness of dandelions in it. It's enjoyable, but far from fantastic. The lemon is in the scent. The taste is something citrusy, but only lightly there. Nice summer drink. I wouldn't get this again with so many better options.

3.24/5  rDev -16.1%

This beer was purchased as a 22oz from Kroger with a "drink before" date of 5-11. So it was fresh. - poured into a pilsner glass

Poured great, maybe a tad over carb, but still great. Easy to manipulate the head and it was soapy, leaving behing globs of gook on the glass. Smelled grassy, almost like a sauvignon blanc and smelled faintly of hops. Tasted okay but had a corny finish. Felt great, it was very smooth to drink and I could have many, very drinkable.

3.24/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Guinness stout glass.

A: Light golden amber color...almost the color of your urine after a heavy night of drinking. Thick foamy head forms but recedes quickly, leaving a bit of lacing.
S: Bread/biscuit, cardboard, and a bit of citrusy hops.
T: A bit flavorless when it first hits the tongue, but the hop bitterness comes through. It ends off with a slight bitterness and biscuits.
M: Light/medium bodied, good carbonation.
D: Not bad. It's definitely something you can take down bottle after bottle. None of the flavors are too overwhelming. The hop bitterness does linger, but not like an IPA does. I think I would buy this again when heading out to a friend's party or something.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

12oz bottle into a Philadelphia Flyers pint glass, grabbed a single of this.

Noble pils looks like a PBR off of the tap, it just has that tint to it. A mix between a pale yellow and barely golden backing. Giving a 180 degree pour I yielded only a quarter inch of off white burnt/sugar foam that died. Barely even a cap, no lacing.

At first sniffs I said to myself this won't be that bad but within minutes I got a sweet corn thing coming from this, odd, I know. Smells like a bold Adjunct. Getting some pale malts and something resembling a hop nose, earthy, leafy.

This goes well, but I don't think the noble hops are coming out like I expected. Sweet and pale malt, bisquit with slight caramel, and corn, yes, believe me it's there. I get some big earthy hops at the end but that's all they give off, earth and leafs, no citrus, no tropic's so don't go expecting that.

The feel is a bit thicker than I like in my Pilsner's, this just seems to be a step above the other's in the style. Medium bodied and a smooth ride and easy finish, not dry, not to refreshing, not what I want in a pilsner. Carb is noticed but not overly felt.

Perhaps if SA used just one of the five varieties of Noble hops, the hop nose/taste could have been more focused. It seems like they are running against each other and none are making headway. I would not want to try this again, it did not refresh me and the feel was off for a pils. It's drinkable, but not memorable.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

A-Golden w/ nice head short lasting though.

S-malty a bit like sam adams boston lager without any citrus scent

T- good malt backbone with good bite of hops,, but there is that unusual Sam Adams taste that all their beers seem to have. SA beers all seem overly sweet to me over the last year or 2

M- nice mouthfeel medium body good carbonation

D-good

Not impressed with this at all not seeing the fuss it was decent last year but just OK this year to me.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Beautfiul golden color, thin frothy head that goes away quick though. Looks good other than that.

S: Kind of getting a corn smell, plus a hint of the hops. It's okay.

T: I'm getting a corn flavor to this as well, small amount of hops

M: Goes down well, leaves a good feeling on the tongue.

D: Great spring time beer that is easy to drink.

Beer seems overrated to me...

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into cigar city pint glass

A-pours a light slightly hazy yellow. Nice white head, falls into i nice thin white layer on the top.

S-smell is a bit weak. Smell some floral/bitter hops in there. Nice scent but a bit to weak to really get me excited to drink this. A hint of malt sweetness is mixed in there as well

T-Hits with a nice sweetness up front finishing with a clear pilsner bitterness to it. Sort of floral hoppy flavor mixed in the middle with the sweetnesss.

Mf-A bit thin, Well balanced carbonation. Slight creaminess on the aftertaste.

O-This is pretty good. Nothing special but a nice refreshing beer. Wouldn't mind this on a hot summer day, maybe on the beach, its light and refreshing but gets my hop fix in as well. I feel if it has a bit more body to it then it would be significantly better.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Um, I'm not really sure about the A- this thing gets.

Appearance is clear gold with a tiny foamy head.

Aroma is of hops (Noble ones, apparently!), citrus are the ones I get the most. Not really a strong hop scent

Taste is hoppy with a decent malty balance, obviously neither the hops or the malts overpower anything (its not an IPA), and the mouthfeel is on the lighter side. But the mild profile isn't really a "soft" interpretation of the pilsner style. Its not that its supposed to be this weak. Its just bland.

Drinkability is fine, but I mean..its just a boring beer. I've had much better pilsners

3.19/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Typical golden yellow color of a Pilsner. Bright with a small trail of carbonization bubbles floating up from the center. Bright white head that stays around for a while.

S: Strong hop smell jumps out at you. Lots of grapefruit, a little lemon. Generally citrus. Balanced against the more typical bready lager aromas. Almost like I squeezed a lemon into a typical Sam Adams lager. Is that a good thing though?

T: Citrus hops really dominate up front, more lemon than anything. Then the hops fade a little and the bready malt flavors come more into play. Leave a little bitterness at the end. I still can't get away from the feeling that this is a normal pilsner with a lemon.

M: Well carbonanted, fairly light, although not as light as many lagers or pilsners. Refreshing.

D: Not a bad example of a hoppy pilsner (not that I have much experience with said beers). I didn't get much floral or piney hop flavor - mainly the lemon which kind of got stuck in my head as I drank the beer. It was enjoyable, but not generally in my style range. I wouldn't complain about drinking this at a party or in the airport, but wouldn't pick up a sixer of it.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

A: A lot lighter than I thought it would pour, very see through. Had a nice head, but it went away fairly quickly, leaving a nice ring which has produced some fairly decent lacing.

S: A lot of hops, obviously, other than that it was fairly one note for me.

T: This came across fairly bitter, more bitter than I was expecting, but it was pleasantly bitter.

M: Felt fairly full for a beer as light as it was.

D: I'd rate this low, not something I'd reach for on a regular basis.

Overall, not Sam Adam's best attempt. Not a big fan.. but it's worth a try.

Cheers.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a clear light straw color with a great sized head, fades at a decent rate, some patchy lacing along the glass as it empties.

Smell is mostly sweet malt but hints of hops and citrus do come through, but quite weak, was expecting a bit more from this.

Taste is surprisingly thin and flavorless, sadly I consider this one of Sam Adam's worst, I'd much rather still have the White Ale and Boston Lager has a much better flavor profile, there isn't much in the way of hops (so much for all 5 noble hops doing anything) and it's mostly malt with a not-so-good bitter aftertaste.

An average pilsner, reach for Sam Adam's Hallertau Imperial Pilsner for a better beer.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a half inch thick head that dissipates quickly. Has very nice lacing.

Smell - The most dominant aroma is pine, along with some bitterness and yeast. Smells like a pale ale.

Taste - Very floral and pine flavored. Light notes of citrus and quite bitter.. Also tastes like a pale ale to me.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with mild carbonation.

Overall - Not my beer of choice. Too bitter. But this is my first time trying this style

3.17/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Cloudy yellow hue with an average head and random spots of lace. Looks more like a hefeweizen than a pilsner. Hmm...

S: Sweet wheat malt - I'm not getting a lot of pilsner flavor. Smells like a slightly fruity summer beer with some artificial sweetness or additives.

T: A bit of disappointment, though my expectations were not exceedingly high. There is an unpleasant soapy taste, along with a bright, wheat flavor. Generally, this beer is just a bit off kilter. There is an undeniable artificial taste that permeates my senses and distracts me from any possible tasty pilsner-like goodness this brew may or may not have to offer. Basically, this doesn't take like a pilsner to me.

M: A bit soapy, fresh carbonation, goes down smooth (though it doesn't taste particularly great).

D: I'd rather get a water than order a second round. In fact, that's what I did. Bummer.

Bb: May 2011

A: pours a light gold ale with a triple finger fine loose bubbling which dissipates quickly. Webbed lacing on the walls.

S: Earthy, farmhouse nose up front. Grain backbone with a nearly offensive amount of farm.

T: Simple, grainy. Plenty of corn flavors. A hint of copper metal on the background.

M: Light body and medium to high carbonation - with excellent finish feel.

O: I'm not quite impressed with this beer, and I'm not particularly going to pursue in the future. In fact, I prefer the SA Lager to this.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

A: Clear golden/amber color, slight 1/2 finger head that dissapates quickly, however nice lacing.

S: Earthy, maybe a little dusty which I found odd. Malty overtones with only slight hoppiness.

T: Crisp and refreshing. Hint of hops, citrusy. I really expected more.

M: A little over carbonated and watery.

D: Not bad, but I really wouldn't call it a session beer.

As I mentioned earlier, I really expected more. This almost reminded me of a Miller Lite going into my mouth until the aftertaste of the Noble Hops. I think I'll stick to ales for now.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Sixer picked up for Saturday's basketball games...

A: Poured into an Oskar Blues pilsner glass - light, straw gold and crystal clear; big, foamy/sudsy, snow white head that leaves some pretty thick patches of sugary lace.

S: Cracker; sweet malts; some light earthy hops.

T: Light bread crust graininess, followed by a crisp hoppiness - orange / lemon rind (kind of reminiscent of Triaminic cough syrup from childhood days) on the finish.

M: Surprisingly more body (medium) than I was expecting; nice feel with a lively carbonation.

D/O: Pretty drinkable, yet kind of boring, even with the citrusy hop finish.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Was excited to see this new offering on the shelf, even though it was in the macro section of the store.

The look was very pale with a tiny head that stayed tell the end.

The smell was light malt, slightly citrus, smells light.

The taste was a huge disappointment started with a sweet malt profile with almost no hop bitterness or taste of the "5 Noble Hops" that one would expect from reading the labeling. Mouthfeel was thin.

This is an OK session beer, but after having there imperial pilsener offering I expected this to be a much smaller version for the masses. I was wrong, it was a weak overpriced german pilsener, with little to no hop presence. Not terrible. Not good.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a good beer overall. But, it really shouldn't be classified as a Pils. The beer poured a bright yellow with good head and decent carbonation. The aroma was grassy bordering on spicy. The front end of this beer was bready and biscuity. Sweet malts could be detected, which evolved into a citrusy bitterness. The finish was malty and bitter with a definite aftertaste.

This lager lacks the typical continental charataristics one would find in North German Pils. A lot of rough edges -especially concerning balance. Perhaps it needs more time in the cellar.

That said, this is still a good beer. Just don't expect the classic German Pils taste profile.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle. Purchased from Total Wine in Norfolk, Virginia.

(Appearance): Pours a transparent yellowish gold with light amounts of carbonation that bubble to the surface. After about a minute, it settles with a fingernail sized foam head.

(Smell): This Pilsener has a very, very faint aroma of green apples, but nothing else very noticeable. You really have to sniff hard to pull out the smells.

(Taste): The presence of hops is odd in this one, as it is easily the dominant flavor, but not dominant in a way that makes it bitter like a lot of other hoppy beers. I did not sense any floral or citrus like many others have.

(Mouthfeel): Smooth and slightly watery in every area of the mouth except the tongue, which is dominated by a very punctual carbonated and fizzy feeling.

(Drinkability): A decent beer for a spring or summer season, the Sam Adams Noble Pils is light and refreshing, low in ABV, and completely gulpable. The taste isn't the most amazing, however, it is decent enough to recommend over a lot of bar beers that might be found alongside it.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Draft -> giant margarita glass? At a mexican joint for happy hour and this the best tap offering. Have had this a handful of times in the past few weeks. I generally have a few each of the SA seasonals as they come out.

A - crystal clear straw yellow. Little head. No lacing. Fair amount of carb.

S - very little of anything. Slight spicy hop notes.

T - fairly flavorful for the style. Same hop flavor that the aroma advertizes. Light sweet malt notes, crisp clean finish.

M - light bodied, little carb pop

O - Sessionable of course. Super easy to drink. Very good alternative to the flood of crap industrial lagers at most bars. Full flavor and light on the palate. Likely my last of the season. Will have a few next year if it returns.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

12oz bottle into a Stone Cali-Belgie glass. The beer is pale golden color and clear with a thin white head. Apparently all 5 noble hops were used in this, but I couldn't tell from the aroma. Sort of toasty and mild flavored, actually not very different from many other pilsners. The body is average-plus, a little creamy and well carbonated.

Overall OK, nothing special. I really prefer Hallertau Imperial Pilsner.

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)