Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils
Liked This Beer
3.76 w/ 3,665 ratings
Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Liked:
3.76/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,665 |  Reviews: 1,513
4.85/5  rDev +29%

If one beer could make me become a full-time drunkard, this would be the one. I was genuinely surprised when I poured this into the glass. Great big pillowy head, nice clean look, and the most straightforward taste ever. The hops are refreshing. They are obviously present, but they don't shout. In a room, these hops represent the quiet guy sitting in the corner who clearly owns the joint.

I can't get over the taste and the refreshment. This is the most drinkable beer I've had in a long time. The hops are standing politely next to the malt, pleasing your tongue with every drink.

If you know someone who wants to get into IPAs but it's still too much for them, this is the perfect beer to start at. Absolutely respectable, but tasteful. This beer is a gentleman.

4.82/5  rDev +28.2%

Appearance: Pours a pale golden color. There are subtle tints of orange. Nice lacing.

Smell: Potent touch of citrus. Earthy aroma with a hint of hops

Taste: Strong taste of grapefruit zest. Moderately sweet taste of malts that is offset by a subtle hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation makes for a crisp mouthfeel. The subtle hoppy bitterness and moderate acidity make for a refreshing and interesting Spring beer.

Drinkability: Extremely good drinkability. A beer that can appeal to everyone. Enough substance to appreciate but still maintains a good amount of drinkability.

4.82/5  rDev +28.2%

Had this several times on a trip to NH recently. Draft serving each time-imperial pint glass-not the right type of glass really.

Appears on the table with a bright white head, tiny bubbles, which fade quickly, but not too quickly. Bright, clear, golden in colour.

Aroma is bright and well hopped. Slight malt in nose.

Taste is extraordinary. Bright clean hop taste, malt flavour is reminiscent of honey, finishes clean and off-dry.

Very drinkable with a reasonable ABV. Love this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +27.7%

Appearance
Beautifully clean--crystal clear, golden, nice white foam cap, healthy carbonation

Smell
Familiar pils aroma, but something extra and different; slightly toasted smelling malts; herbal/grassy/lemony hops are noticeable

Taste & Body
Lovely, unique flavor; what first strikes me is there is a tea-like quality to the flavor, whether from the malts or hops, I'm not sure. Truly a light, thirst-quenching beer with good flavor. Those five Noble hops are really making for a unique bitterness. It finishes bone dry, making me want another sip right away. Bitterness rivals Tucher's pils, one of the hoppier examples I've had. Body is light and I could use a touch more carbonation.

Overall
This is a great pilsner. It manages to pack in flavor and be interesting while also remaining extremely light and drinkable. Well done, Sammy A!

4.8/5  rDev +27.7%

Really excited to try this one. First review in a while and I've heard great things about this one. Hopefully this beer will bring a little light summer to a cold MN winter night.

A= pours a completely translucent light yellow color. The clear opacity of this beer is impressive as far as I'm concerned. Been a while since I drank something that looked so refreshing. A light half finger head comes from it and falls to a skin on top of the beer. Some spotty lacing but not really that great but what can you expect from a pils.

S= Smells light and crisp. Smells of some faint nobel hops and a little sweet malt. Nothing to blow you away being this is a pils I actually think it smells quite nice. A nice balance in the smell of this beer. I find prima pils to be a little too hop forward which is nice but this one seems a little better to have on hand always based on smell. Lets dig deeper.

T= Delicious. Wow this beer is tasty. Nice hops in it but they aren't what this beer is all about which I was expecting from the label and box literature. This beer is light crisp and super refreshing. The nobel hops flow across the entire tongue with a little lemony citrusy spice to it. Not overly hopped at all. The malts in this beer are great doughy and bready is a great way for me to describe this. The finish is awesome bready biscuity.

M= Super light and crisp. One of the most refreshing beers I've ever had.

D= Great. I find that most Samual Adams brews taste similar and I actually mentioned it to the fellow at the store I bought this from. He told me this was a step away from that and I will agree. This doesn't taste like a typical Samual Adams beer. For a pils I dunno how much better it can get. The rave reveiws are on spot this beer is awesome. While it didn't take away the cold MN night tonight it did bring back some memories of summer and makes me get all giddy for spring when I'm gonna drink the hell outta this beer.

4.77/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours a very nice golden color with excellent head and some nice lacing. Great scent, a very crisp and sweet aroma with wonderful hints of hops in the nose, a bit of citrus and spiciness. Great taste, one of my favorite pils; a wonderful malty sweetness starts it off, with that slightly skunky lager hit in the middle; finished with a bright hop fizz, hints of spice (pepper) and citrus are at the forefront. It finishes clean for such a hoppy pils, while keeping a slight bitter aftertaste.

4.77/5  rDev +26.9%

Ap: Beautiful golden champagne color. Moderate head and moderate lacing. Sexy, beautiful and you can almost visualize the flavor.

Ar: The hops resonate in the aroma and is enticing. This beer means business.

Ta: Sultry and sexy combination of hops. Sam Adams has something amazing here. While not an IPA, it still packs a healthy dose of hops that is appealing for any hop head. Don't expect double IPA but do prepare yourself for a crisp flavor that is almost indescribable. The earthyness and breadiness just invites you to continue drinking. This along with sierra Nevada pale ale, make for exceptional choices for sessionable beers. You can easily drink a 6 pack and be a happy fellow.

Mf: Rich, creamy and frothy texture. Each sip delights. May I have another?

Ov: I avoided this beer for quite some time. I almost convinced myself that if it wasn't an IPA, I wouldn't enjoy it. This beer shatters that rule. The delicious blend of hops creates an infusion of flavor that you cannot capture during the first bottle. You struggle to discover all the notes even after 2 or 3 bottles. It's a beer that makes you appreciate the fact that your taste buds work. Savor it, sip it, engage it and by all means, respect this beer. It's almost near perfect. And coming from a hop head, that means a lot. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

I can't wait to see six packs of this stuff, I knew they get some first dibs on the noble hops but I had no idea that Sam Adams would be coming out with a seasonal featuring all five noble hop varieties. I loved the Hallertau Imperial Pils, but this is a session pils meant for mass consumption. It's been a long time since I've wanted a whole case of a Sam Adams offering, this is a good sign for future beers from them. The tastings they hosted to get customer feedback for their next spring seasonal was a success because the compared to the last beer that made it into their rotation this is liquid gold.

Pours a bright brilliant pale clear golden color with a eggshell white head two to three fingers thick with fine speckled lacing, nice and lively with the carbonation retention is very nice.

Aroma paves the way for the whole noble hop experience very nice citrus, herbal, and grassy hop explosion even a bit of earthiness that almost neon green their using for the label represents the caliber of green this bottle contains, fresh hop aromatics I'm loving it. Nice cereal grain nose to it very much a pale biscuit malt sweetness that has some light toasted grain but an ample touch of honey sweetness to create perfect balance in the smell.

Flavors are again perfectly balanced yet chalk full of flavor both hops and malts. Biscuit sweetness hits the sides of the palate with bitterness blending in alot of citrus peel, raw herbaceous slightly skunked Mary Jane, and a dirty earthiness bring on a multitude of varietal hop burps. One belch I'm thinking Saaz, the next a dose of Hallertau, and then some Tettnang...oh the dry finish is priceless this is the crisp quality some of those beer commericals are talking about even if you don't find that experience in their beers.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with flowing lively carbonation mildly effervescent yet it has a creamy slightly slick hop oil consistency, bone dry finish great light beer experience for the non beerlievers to cross over on. This brew will take you on a trip through Bavaria, now it's time for the real thing, I want a taste of these hops from the source.

Drinkability is inspiring if you feel bored with the craft beer scene and how things have been driven toward rarity and high alcohol with insane doses of malts and hops then you need to reach for the Noble pils from Sam Adams to take you back to a flavor that made you fall in love with beer.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

Look: It has a medium Golden shade, it's transparent, and it irridescently shimmers in a pint glass with substantial foam that lingers long and laces the glass as it recedes.

Nose: Fruity, aromatic hops beckon the sniffer toward the lip for a sip.

Taste: The Boston Beer Co. (a.k.a Sam) boasts that it has utilized "all five noble hops" when it made this brew. And danged if they didn't. One day, I hope to be able to i.d. all five in a glass of beer, but for right now there is Noble Pils to help me. This beer offers a delicious blend of hoppy and pine-like notes they are at once robust and sweet as they roll over the palate without tripping the bitter sensors to a large degree at all. It is a truly wonderful beer drinking experince if only for the fact that you find yourself surprised that you are not at all overpowered, but, in fact, pleased by its aftertaste.

Mouth: Noble possesses a thin but effervescent mouthfeel.

Drink: Easy to drink out of the tap or the bottle. This is a dandy! Loved it.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

12 oz bottle that is the last of a six-pack purchase last week. Pours a darker-than-average gold color with a frothy white head that displays both great retention and lacing. Crystal clear. Great looking pilsner here, if a shade or two on the dark side.

Nose is all about the hops, grassy being the most dominant...there are also floral, herbaceous and spicy hop notes in there. Light, grainy malts with just a touch of something sweet poke through the leafy goodness. Not exactly a refined aroma, it's a bit rough around the edges, but it is something I would like to see made into respirator cartridges...I'd wear one!

Taste is addictive, that is the only way to describe it. Leafy, ganja-esque hops manage to be very flavorful but not overly bitter, which is what I equate pilsners to be all about. BBC did a good job of leaving the malt bill light and slightly honeyed to provide a perfect backdrop for the hops to shine while still maintaining a rich body and unique take on the pilsner style.

Mad props to Boston Beer Company on this one, I never thought I would say that I absolutely love one of their beers, but this one is the shizzle!

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

If it comes from Boston, it must be identified as "Pilsnahhh". Hey, as a Yinzer, I love dialect and I love beer, so it all washes out (I hope).

I became a fan of the Lager styles a couple/few years back at one of the BA Fests and I really like Pilseners, especially Czech Pils with Saaz hops, but German Pils will also work. I just wish more of them were accessible in CANs - no possibility of light struck hops oils. Sigh.

I accomplished a brief finger of bone-white head before it disappeared like Dracula in the face of this morning's sunrise. Color was a beautiful sunshine/lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity and evidencing an endless parade of CO2 bubbles. Greg Koch can disrespect "fizzy yellow beers" all he wants, but this is one to consider. Nose was at once grassy and slightly spicy and my mouth began to water at the prospect. Mouthfeel was full, thanks to the preponderance of CO2 bubbles and the taste was phenomenal. I really caught the Saaz hops on the tongue despite them not being as forward as in the Czech version. Actually, there were a lot of flavors on the tongue, including blueberry, an earthy grassy taste, and a light saltiness. Finish was dry, crisp, and clean and the effervescence really left my palate scrubbed.

I am having trouble believing that this and another were just sitting as singles at my local bottle shop yesterday afternoon. What a find!

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 62.9% out of 100 with 3,665 ratings