Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Reviews: 1,489 | Ratings: 3,568
3.9/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a very drinkable beer. poured light golden with a 1/2 inch, quickly disapating head. very earth-like, pilsner smell. great taste and even better aftertaste. easily one of my favorite sam adams offerings. definately recommended! im adding this sentence to meet the 250 character requirement. :(

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Very nice version of a German Pilsner. Much fresher than most imported versions, has a nice straw color, head dissipates quickly. Nose has a nice hop aroma, less aggressive and, dare I say, noble? than your standard IPA. Nicely crisp, bitter and dry. I enjoyed it and I liked that there was none of that stale skunk you get in many imports. For my tastes it fell just short of the Lagunitas Pils in quality.

4.85/5  rDev +25.6%

If one beer could make me become a full-time drunkard, this would be the one. I was genuinely surprised when I poured this into the glass. Great big pillowy head, nice clean look, and the most straightforward taste ever. The hops are refreshing. They are obviously present, but they don't shout. In a room, these hops represent the quiet guy sitting in the corner who clearly owns the joint.

I can't get over the taste and the refreshment. This is the most drinkable beer I've had in a long time. The hops are standing politely next to the malt, pleasing your tongue with every drink.

If you know someone who wants to get into IPAs but it's still too much for them, this is the perfect beer to start at. Absolutely respectable, but tasteful. This beer is a gentleman.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

A: Clear golden/amber color, slight 1/2 finger head that dissapates quickly, however nice lacing.

S: Earthy, maybe a little dusty which I found odd. Malty overtones with only slight hoppiness.

T: Crisp and refreshing. Hint of hops, citrusy. I really expected more.

M: A little over carbonated and watery.

D: Not bad, but I really wouldn't call it a session beer.

As I mentioned earlier, I really expected more. This almost reminded me of a Miller Lite going into my mouth until the aftertaste of the Noble Hops. I think I'll stick to ales for now.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

A. Great clarity, sparkling golden hue, lacked luxurious head

S. Sweet...fresh floral hop...resin.

T. More piney floral bitter hop then sweet...well balanced and the taste kinda reversed the smell.

M. Thin light crisp.

D. Easy going...perfect complement to a warm spring/summer day.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%

A. clear golden color white foam that disapates quickly
S. clean hoppy smell but not to strong
T. very nice clean taste that is slightly bitter
M. clean bitter finish, dry
O. Good beer, balaced hop flavor nice taste. good pilsner on of sam adams best.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from bottle into Pint Glass

Sight: pours ale amber, wheat, hazy, minimal head

Smell: crisp citrus, more lemon and oranges, nice light almost floral aroma, very easy on the nose

Taste: sharp, bitter, grains and citrus fruits

Mouthfeel: quick attack, thin, sharp in the front of the pallete, quick finish but with a nice lingering sensation in the front of the mouth

Overall: Nice light tasting beer that hits pretty square on the head its promise: being the Sam Adams Spring Seasonal. Great to enjoy on a nice spring afternoon.

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured from bottle into pub style glass.

Appearance- Deep gold in color. Fluffy meringue white head that sticks around for a good bit, leaving lots of lacing down the glass.

Nose- Yeasty, hops, bitter

Taste- I don't know what it is with Sam Adams and me. I always get a very similar taste with all of their beers. I think its their hops that I really get a taste of and this beer is no exception. Citrusy and fruity. Refreshing, but nonetheless very similar to their regular Boston Lager.

Mouthfeel- Smooth with a bite of carbonation on the finish. You can always feel the hops kick your tastebuds with Sam Adams.

Overall- A fairly decent beer. But all the same, just tastes like a Sam Adams to me. Which isn't bad.

4.92/5  rDev +27.5%

I see some bad reviews for this on here, i have to wonder if there were maybe some bad batches? By that I mean, giving this less than a 5 in aroma is crazy, this is by far, the best smelling beer i have ever put my nose to, smells like a noble IPA. hardly any IPA's pack that much aroma in the nose, maybe o'dells, in colorado is close. the appearance is light and yellow, but i don't see that a downside like many, it could be purple if it tasted and smelled this good. I drove 90 miles twice in one week to get more. i will drive it again, and buy as much as i can before it goes off season, which will be incredibly dissapointing. This is desert island beer, i could drink this and this alone every day if pushed. as far as mouthfeel, its average, but its a lager/pilsner, so its right in line with the style.

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

From a bottle cold from the fridge into a chilled pint glass.

The color was a very nice clear gold without much of a head and very little lacing.

The smell was fantastic; hop aroma was clear and prominent.

The taste was very nice not quite as hoppy as I was hoping after the smell but still very nice. There was very little of the bitterness that I often find overpowering in a hoppy beer. There was also no unpleasant aftertaste.

I can easily see myself drinking a lot of these as the grill is warming up and the steaks are cooking. The flowers on our cherry and apple trees are in full bloom and this spring beer goes beautifully with the smell in the yard.

Highly enjoyable.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

I poured this in to a nice ice cold SN ESB pint glass

A- Very clean with a nice golden color to it lots of bubbles bounceing around in there a nice thick head leaving laceing all the way down the glass

S- I get a nice hint of citrus backed by a bit of hops and a nice light earthy smell very nice

T- Every thing that comes through on the smell comes through on the taste, I get a well balance of all the hops and the malts not to sweet and not bitter at all I really love how the citrus chimes in as well. This has a great crisp smooth taste

M- Clean-crisp and most of all FROTHEY MUMMM

D- I would say this is a great session beer I could put these back all day/night, RIP SN ESB I know what I will be seeking out next year around this time. Well done Sam Adams thanks for giving us a great go to spring beer

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a 16oz glass. Golden color with thin, white head. A lot of bubbles.

Smells of grass and hops. Has a distinctive citrus and fresh taste, but not too crisp. I thought the hops variety is great. Do I taste some honey? Very nicely done for spring, or anytime. A great "have another" beer.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

A- attracive brigth golden hue,thin whte head with some lacing

S- Bready malts with Noble hop aromas,classic Pilsner aroma

T-Again bready malts with a mild spicy Noble hop bite, slight mineral "twang"

M- Crisp,refreshing ,satisfying very fitting to style

D- extremely high,low ABV,light,crisp body yet flavorfull

I do enjoy my Pilsners and this one is no exception,one my faves for sure.Always crisp,flavorfull and satisfying while remaining true to the style.A good relief hitter when not enjoying more intense hop forward beer styles.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Had it on tap at the local Outback Steakhouse. Apparently, Sam wants to replace their White Ale. This beer has a very clean, bright appearance. The head was full and lacy. Nice slightly piney nose. Clean, crisp mouthfeel with a nice hoppy finish. What a nice beer for a pilsner.

2.6/5  rDev -32.6%

Appearance: Yellow/gold with a small white head.

Aroma: Very minimal aroma, light floral hop notes.

Taste: A bit watery, very light and goes down easy. The grassy aftertaste is a turn-off.

Palate: Blah, very bland and a bit grainy.

Overall: Meh, easy to drink but nothing special in any department, wish the hop flavors weren't so lingering.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

German style hop notes on the aroma, yellow in color, a few shades darker than Budweiser. The taste features a slight sour, with a European-style pilsner hops taste. It is a little dry which makes the mouth water. Overall an excellent beer for Spring/Summer.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: bright amber. Little to no lacing. A lot of activity in the way of bubbles. It's fun to watch.

Smell: I don't get much in the way of smell. I detect a slight citrus smell, which seems to be in line with many of the other reviewers It may be because of my allergies though I'm not going to put much weight into that.

Taste: hoppy, citrusy taste. It's fun. I wish it was slightly later in the year. I don't normally associate this beer with cold weather. It takes me to spring. I look out the window and see a foot or two of snow. Back to reality, I suppose.

Mouthfeel: one word keeps coming to mind and that's crisp. It feels crisp. It's nice. Finishes clean.

Drinkability: this is best thing about this beer. I finish a sip and am ready for another. In fact, I kind of feel like I should be outside right now. Grilling. Damn.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

I drank this beer from a double-walled Bodum glass, poured from the bottle.

There are some hops in this fairly clear light-colored beer: floral, piney notes in the nose. Sweetness and bitterness in perfect balance on the tongue and a subtle remembrance of the piney notes when it's gone. Being a good red-blooded American and Texan, it tastes close to what I imagine would be the platonic ideal of beer: balanced, drinkable, indeed, quaffable in large proportions. It tastes good without being too complex. A fine beer if not particularly compelling. A bit too hoppy to enjoy straight from the bottle.

Update: I've had a few more six-packs of this one, and some other lesser beers in between. I think that, in hindsight, I was a little underwhelmed at first by this beer, but it is more than "fine," and it is, indeed, somewhat compelling. My overall rating has jumped nearly a whole point. This is a very good beer and one that I will continue to buy when other options are few.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into a mug.

A: Transparent pale yellow in color with a very thin head that dissipates into a thin ring. No lacing.

S: Biscuit, soap, lemon, a bit of sulfur, and grassy hops. It's difficult for me to smell even these as the aroma is very faint.

T: Pretty well balanced. Taste follows the aroma. Upfront maltiness with some lemon followed by a very restrained hop bite in the finish. Leaves a pleasant bitter aftertaste.

M: A bit thin for my taste, but still pretty creamy for the style. Crisp carbonation.

D: Very high drinkability. Great for sessions. I could definitely have a lot of these, but eventually I'd probably reach for something with a little more character.

A good, simple beer. Clean and refreshing without skimping on taste. I'll definitely buy this again especially for parties or if I need to get back to basics. Recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Poured a nice light golden color. I thought I saw some green in there, but that must have just been the lighting in the room or an influence of the nice green on the label. Couldn't get much of a head since I was pouring gingerly into a glass of unknown volume.

S: Couldn't pick up too much on the smell of this one (a head would have helped). Definite grassy hop presence, but not much else I can say here.

T: The taste of this beer is great. I only seem to have come across fizzy yellow pilsners before this, but I'm loving the hop flavor in this. A bit of lingering bitterness, but it's exceptionally crisp. Earthy, piny, grassy. Even got a bit of a woody taste for a second there.

M: Light mouthfeel, crisp and even carbonation. Well-balanced.

D: I find this beer to be VERY drinkable. Not only does it have the hop flavor, but it's refreshing and impressively thirst-quenching. I could drink quite a few of these with no problem, without getting bored.

Before I begin, I must say that appearance is not a key criteria for a good beer. I'll try to stay as objective as possible though for this category that I find trivial.

A: Clear and golden, not yellow like many other pilseners. Bubbles formed while pouring but sustained head for only a second or two.

S: Spice throughout, hoppy in the beginning with citrus and malty notes thereafter.

T: Moderate spice from the hops along with citrus and a mildly sweet, malty flavor.

M: Brief aftertaste that preserves the spice and allows the maltiness to linger. Fair amount of carbonation, but not excessive.

D: I think that it was a mistake to release this beer so early. This would be a very enjoyable summertime beer. It seems to be crafted for summer, and it would provide a flavorful beer that can be enjoyed on even the hottest days.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance - Orange almost no head.

Smell - Definite orange maybe lemon hops smell.

Taste - Malts and hops, small citrus taste. Really nice balance.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth great hops taste. Tiny bitter end.

Drinkability - Little after taste. Smooth, I like it.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

I've seen a lot of hype on beer so I decided to give it a try. Smooth pour produced a nice head, color was a clear golden color, has a nice clean almost citrus taste with a hint of pine nuts. It reminded me of the Sam Adams Coastal Wheat without as much lemon taste. Overall a good spring time beer, I was pleased with this selection.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Pours a golden straw colored body, with an average amount of pale head that quickly subsides to a thin layer. Getting a surprisingly nice amount of lacing from this.

S: The aromas I'm picking up on are primarily pepper, lemon rind, and a grassy hoppiness.

T: This is a wonderfully balanced Pilsner. Probably my favorite beneath Prima Pils. All of the hop varieties are integrated, and none dominate the other. For me, this has an initial bready malt character, followed by the mildness of Hallertau and Tettnang hops, then the back end it's a lot of spicy Saaz. Someone else mentioned the green tea flavor, and I'm definitely picking up on it.

M: Perfect carbonation that tickles your tongue, then washes around revealing a creamy slick hop character, and finishes dry. This is exactly what I want in a pilsner.

D: After being on a huge DIPA/IPA kick lately, it's refreshing in so many ways that I could drop back to a beer that had just the right amount of hops to satisfy that craving, but not the heaviness or the boozy alcohol content that leave me burpy and tired.

1.15/5  rDev -70.2%

I had this at a local Italian pizza shop.

This was very weak beer. The hops were barely there. It reminded me of Budweiser with a bitter blah-ness. It was just awful. I tried to like this beer. But Sam Adams is just putting names on stuff to make the beers sound like they may taste good. They failed here.

You want a good pilsner? Drink a Warsteiner.

Cheers!

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)