Samuel Adams Noble Pils | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils
Liked This Beer
3.76 w/ 3,665 ratings
Samuel Adams Noble PilsSamuel Adams Noble Pils

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

"Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner. The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover's Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste."

Added by schellsbeer on 12-20-2009

Liked:
3.76/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,665 |  Reviews: 1,513

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

In anticipation that Moosehead and Sam Adams might be striking a distribution deal that will lead to more Sam Adams beers in Canada (if rumors and speculation are true) I thought I'd crack this open to celebrate. Not that Sam Adams beers are exactly the upper echelon of craft beer by any means, but up here in the great white north beggers can't be choosers, and I'd pick a Sam Adams over a good 90% of what's being brewed in my home province of Ontario, any day.

A lively pour reveals a clear golden liquid with active carbonation and a head of large, loose bubbles.

The aroma is a light toasty cracker with some light grassy, noble hops. Go figure. Fairly subdued but what you can detect is very nice.

A crisp burst of flavors delivers some honey like, biscuity malt with a definite noble hops kick, but it's a little tricky to pin it down to any one hop varietal having any dominance. It's a little grassy, a little piney and herbal, a little floral and spicy, with an overall zesty lemon quality throughout. It's really well done.

The crisp carbonation refreshes without overpowering or drowning out flavors.

Overall this is a good pilsner and, if it ever comes to Canada, will probably see the inside of my fridge for times when I want an approachable, no-nonsense pilsner. But for most of the rest of the time I'll probably stick with Prima Pils.

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Friends brought this over the other night...left it in the fridge...lucky me.

Poured a nice golden color, pretty decent head and spotty lacing througout the beer.

I could pick up a bit of a grassy, flowery scent...but nothing really stood out.

Could actually taste a bit more hops than i was expecting...followed by a clean, grassy malt finish.

Super carbonated...and super dry. But went down smooth.

I thought this was pretty darn drinkable...a nice warm-day spring offering from SA.

4.25/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%

$2.99 22oz bottle from the bodega. BB May notch.

Carlsberg pils glass. A touch dirty now that I look at it.

Average stereotypical golden amber beer. Lathery white head. Ugly scribble lace.

Smells intensely green & peppery. Green tea & a tiny bit of rind. Biscuity. Bright.

Taste is upfront with dry grain & irony spinach. Slight dank & pine. Subtly sweet cracker finish. Wow, nice & easy to associate flavors. No big complexity & yet so fulfilling.

Decent carbonation. Frothy. Constant. Plush. Alcohol is upfront.

Not much to say, it's a simply effective beer. A bit shocked.

3.81/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From notes, 3.7.10.

Pours a clear golden-yellow color with some whitish foam, as with most Sam Adams beers, this looks pretty textbook with appropriate lacing and as good of a retention as you would expect in a straight pint.

Aromas of herbal hops and some spice. Pretty nice and what you would expect but nothing too mindblowing here, it's noble hops but they are just slightly dumbed down. Taste is much of the same with a bit of malt in the background adding body to this snappy bitterness with floral and spice notes lent by the hops. Low-moderate bitterness in the finish, crisp.

Noble Pils is thin-bodied and has a medium level of carbonation which is appropriate to style. A very nice beer, especially at it's price point and availability. A vast improvement over the white ale and I will look forward to picking this up next season, as well as enjoying it for the rest of this one.

4.06/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I already miss the old bottle caps. I had this before when it used to be a seasonal offering.

Poured into a glass mug. Pours golden with a two-finger length white head that dissipates moderately quickly. The head nearly overflowed, but it was an aggressive pour. Plenty of bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom of the glass, indicating adequate carbonation. Some lacing can be seen on the side of the glass as the head dissipates. Lacing is left on the side of the glass during consumption.

The aroma is of sweet, bready barley malt and a combination of floral and citrus hops. The taste is a well balanced combination of sweet, bready malts and hops. Citrus and florap hop flavors come through in the taste as well as a spicy hop bitterness. The body is light with adequate carbonation. The finish is crisp and dry. It's refreshing. The drinkability is very high. Overall, this is an excellent beer. This is a sessionable lager with great flavor and drinkability. What used to be a seasonal is now available year round, so go out and buy yourself a six pack.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle pours clear golden color with a white head and some simple lacing. Aroma is grainy with a touch of hop spice. Flavor is light, refreshing, slightly grainy, a touch of hop spice leads to a really dry finish. Not too much body, really. Overall not bad, but I have to remember this is just a "Pilsner". Sam Adams seems to have pulled off generally a simple beer, and added just a little something special.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

4.24/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

appearance: straw colored yellow. Very clear. 4\5

aroma: the soft refreshing aroma of noble hops. It is quite nice, 4.25\5

taste: I have to say, one of the better Pilseners I've had before. Hop forward with a stable sweet backbone. Light and easy to drink. Its hops can get a bit aggressive at times, but that is to style and I doubt anyone would have any problems with it. 4.25\5.

mouthfeel: Relatively thin, with a good boost of carbonation. Once again,very easy and nice to drink. 4.25\5

overall: I'm going to give this one a 4.25\5. I really cant fault it with much at all. I suppose its hopping could be done better, but that's a serious nitpick. Any beer could use a better hopping, and the hop flavor in this beer is its greatest strength, A great Pilsener to give a shot when you can.

Id love to have this one again. Prima pills is still the better beer, but a mixed 6 pack of it with this beer....well that would be my Pilsener heaven!

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -3.2%

I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Adams, but I respect what they do and I have enjoyed a few of their beers in the past. One notable treat from Boston Brewing Company every year is the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Good stuff. But the line as a whole just doesn't do it for me - I don't know, maybe I'm biased towards the somewhat similar Goose Island here in Chicago. Either way, I was delighted when Noble Pils showed up on tap at the bar I work at. I wasn't expecting it to be my kind of beer, but when I took a taste, so I knew what to tell my customers, I was thrilled and I looked forward to getting the chance to review it. So here I am, with an hour to kill at work before my shift starts and I figured I'd dive in and review it:

APPEARANCE: Medium amber color with a very thin head. Not much lacing throughout the glass.

SMELL: I admit I do not have a sensitive nose, but I can barely detect any aroma from Noble Pils. It certainly does not seem to convey any sense of flavor.

TASTE: Despite the deceiving lack of smell, the first sip of Noble Pils hits you like a ton of bricks...if bricks felt fantastic hitting you and tasted delicious. The blend of Noble Hops provides a very crisp and powerful hop-filled flavor. Despite the complexity of what goes into this beer, it does not have a complicated taste. Which is no knock against it, it is simply a straightforward, solid, bitter and hoppy beer - just the way I like it.

FEEL: The initial blast of carbonation is strong in a pleasant way, but it quickly fades and flattens out.

OVERALL: The taste is what drives this beer. Sam Adams takes the time to pay attention to detail in their beers, but this one seemed to be all about the flavor - once again, not a bad thing, just left a little to be desired in the look, smell and feel departments. At 5.2%, however, along with an excellent taste, Noble Pils makes a fantastic session beer.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

I have always been a big fan of Sam Adams as it is a quality go to session beer, except for the White Ale, but luckily that is no longer a problem

A: Nice light golden straw color with a fluffy white head that sits atop. Plenty of rising carbonation. Very good head retention, lacing could be better.

S: Crisp and clean herbal hop aroma and a slight bready note, but the aromas are not all that pungent

T: Very clean and crisp tasting. notes of grass, some pininess, and floral flavors. A touch of caramel and and breadiness. Very simple. My main criticism is i think the flavors could have been a little sharper.

M: Very light body but the flavors are very full. Nothing offensive or harsh.

D: I think this may be one of my new favorite sam adams beers

Samuel Adams Noble Pils from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 62.9% out of 100 with 3,665 ratings