Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series) | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series)Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series)

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by Duhast500 on 02-24-2010

2.52/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured a nice brown color...but thats where my enjoyment of this beer stopped. The smell is so...light. Just faint smoky peet and malt. The taste is pretty rowdy, with up-front smoky peet and malt doing nothing about it but letting it work. Nothing really after though, it sort of comes and goes on a bland note. For a 10%, its not as bitter as you think, but its definitely got an alcoholic tinge you can notice.

These beers are meant to be had semi-warm aren't they? I'm fairly sure I had near the right temperature for these (not too cold but not room-temperature warm), and it just wasn't...much of anything great. I was expecting something malty and strong, with smoky and earthy tones. What I got was just earthy tones with a watered down malt.

I'll admit this is my first Scotch Ale, but even so, I was expecting much more from this.

2.55/5  rDev -31.6%

A- Nice dark beer, with tinge of red against light. A small, cafe-colored head. Just meh ...

S- Nice, smoky, roasted malt. A bit of alcohol astringency.

T- Sweet, then a really strong licorice and smoky flavor ... really strong. I don't like either flavor really so ...

M- Pretty thick with evident carb. Some bitter feel.

O- When I review I judge in the order they appear here and then add in any notes I notice as I finish he beer ... After my first taste I was reluctant to try it again for mouthfeel. That flavor was just way too much much of two things I don't enjoy in a beer. Was a drain pour for me ...

2.67/5  rDev -28.4%

Beer is a dark amber color with high carbonation. The soapy head dissipated rapidly. Scents were all true except very "rusty" scents came through, making it somewhat unappealing. Some nice peat on the nose. Taste is decent but way too syrupy. The sweetness is not balanced by good hop flavor. It is too cloying and not something I will go back to. The Boston Beer company has always defended by me, but in the past 3 years, they a) have gotten rid of most of their more enjoyable styles b) change the recipes of styles that were great 5 to 7 years ago and c) are way off on their new attempts.

2.69/5  rDev -27.9%

Smelled/tasted like malts and scotch. On the one hand, I suppose that is what should be expected of this style, on the other, it was a bit over the top and wasn't overly drinkable. If I am going back to this category, for the same money, I'll go for Founders Dirty Bastard each and every time. I was disappointed here because I really like most of Sam Adam's lineup... maybe with some age this would improve.

2.7/5  rDev -27.6%

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - dark brown color with a beige head that thinned to a ring leaving a spot or two of lacing.

S - roasted malt with a hint of fusel alcohol in the background.

T - is this a smoked beer? ufaaa!

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

O - I was expecting a lot more from Sam Adams.

2.71/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a very dark mahogany color, with a foamy 2 finger off-white head. Leaves a little spotty lacing.

S - The smell is very lacking. I'm struggling to get anything. I get some dark fruits, and I can smell the hops, but that's about it.

T - Slight plum, and rum raisin flavor is there, but the alcohol taste is definately present. There are some sweet notes as well.

M - Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - I should know better than to expect great beers from Sam Adams, and this one confirmed my expectations. Unfortunately, this beer lacks character, and flavor profile. Maybe cellar-aging this one might do it some good.

2.81/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very dark with heavy head and mild carbonation. Chocolatey, caramel, malty aroma with notes of coffee beans. Burnt toasted coffee and caramel taste with heavy alcohol flavor. It's a 10% abv and you can really taste it. Really burnt taste. This is for people who ask for their hot dogs burnt.

2.83/5  rDev -24.1%

12 oz bottle in a snifter.

A: A dark wee heavy. The head is a light brown/tan with moderate lacing and a little bit that sticks with it throughout the drink.

S: Hello Alcohol. I rarely venture in beers under 7.5%. That said, this one surprised me by the amount of alcohol on the nose. A little roasted malt scent but definitely more of a scotch smell than malt.

T: Again you definitely catch the alcohol on the front end. There is a little bit of that malt flavor throughout the beer but it just creates sort of sweet alcohol taste almost like the flavors were added after the beer was brewed. It would serve this beer well to let some fresh bitter notes come through on the back end to clean up the palate and refresh.

M: An oily alcohol texture. Surprisingly little body for a beer this size and sweetness. If it is going to be sweet it might as well stick to my ribs.

O: I have to first say that while I might be a beer snob I don't discount Sam Adams carte blanche. Some of the beers I cut my teeth on were Sam Adams and I don't mind their beers. This one though is a one trick pony and gives into an unrefined alcohol taste over some added complexities of a beer worth sipping. I like wee heavies, their my session beer style of choice ;-) This beer is average with quite a few others that represent the style better.

2.85/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance - Pours a dark black with a thick copper head that dissipated quickly (under 2 minutes). Surprisingly a decent lace, though.

Smell - Smells malty, smoky and sweet.

Taste - Strong peaty flavor like scotch. Nutty whiskey flavor. The peat taste overwhelms the beer, not very well balanced, but that's to be expected by reading the bottle. Almost no detectable hops.

Mouthfeel - Feels very carbonated and heavy.

Overall - I was not impressed with this beer. I appreciate what Sam Adams was trying to accomplish and their tribute to the style with a twist, but I simply did not care for the flavor.

2.93/5  rDev -21.4%

My wife picked out this 4-pk for me. I had wanted to try it for a while even though SA's Imperial Series have been mostly let downs for me.

Dirty dishwater looking brown rusty ale. slight film of bubbles that lasts for a few short seconds. No lace.

Phenolic slight band-aid smell. Sweet malts an a big alcohol aroma as well. Meh...

Taste mirrors the aromas with added caramel and chestnut malts. Some vanilla hiding in there too.

Feel is probably the best part. Fairly creamy and thick.

Next time I see this...pass.

Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (Imperial Series) from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)