Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPASamuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by JoeyBeerBelly on 04-02-2010

Reviews: 1,071 | Ratings: 3,780
1.45/5  rDev -60.3%

One of the worst beers I have ever tasted but I hate ALL IPA's still better than Sam Adam's Bonfire Blonde though barely. Another beer that I could NEVER recommend.

1.88/5  rDev -48.5%

Bought in a variety IPA pack at Wegmans trying out some different ones I haven't had yet.

I figured I would give it a shot.

I was highly disappointed, to say the least.

Drank straight out of the bottle so no real appearance outside of the basic typical golden that I could see in the swigs I took.

Maybe I just got a bad one, but this was awful.
The smell was of a lager or regular American ale.

It tasted as if they just added some hops in the brewing process to a normal Sam Adams Boston Ale or Lager. It was nothing I would EVER want to drink again.
Between the lack of any IPA characteristics that I could trace, not even the citrus or hops "bite" that I could find...it was bad.

Again, maybe I got a bad one, but unless someone gave it to me I wouldn't spend a dime on it.

1.89/5  rDev -48.2%

Latitude 48 IPA is a very hoppy, bitter beer. Look and feel we're good but smell and taste is not what I like in a beer. Way too bitter for my taste. Got a six pack in a Samuel Adams verity pack. Chocked down one and gave the other 5 away. Will never buy again.

1.91/5  rDev -47.7%

I love IPA's and Samuel Adams normally but this is one of the poorest tasting craft IPA's that I have have ever had. The appearance and aroma are nice, but when I take a sip there is an overwhelming bitterness that drowns out the hoppy taste. And its not the bitter taste that I expect from a good IPA, but one thats quite undesirable. Apart from that and a citrusy flavor the beer is rather tasteless. The aftertaste is much the same as the taste of the beer. The bitter citrus flavor lingers in the mouth for far too long.

Maybe I got my six-pack from a bad batch?

Best Before JUN12
Serial Number P009205489E

In my opinion, this is a traditional pale ale. It's not an IPA, much like Longhammer is not an IPA. It's darker, more malty, and very well balanced. The balancing by Sam Adams is actually becoming a detriment for me. My wife hates IPA's and yet liked this one. Point proven. Not bad if you like pale ales, but a misnomer. Sorry, Jim Koch - I used to love ya, but I had to leave ya. We'll always have Boston Lager...

2.16/5  rDev -40.8%

a very pretty dark amber & thick head with amazing lacing throughout. A nice look for a beer. but that is where it ends for me. IPA's are suppost to follow basic hop rules par say but this beer just was not worth my time. to much on the hops, no flavor at all. pure bitterness. very heavy and a mouth feel of terrible. Not the worst IPA but damn close in my opinion.

2.18/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Look:
-Nice Light
-Flowy
-Golden
-Slight to no head retention

Smell:
-Heavy Hops
-Earthy
-Citrus on the back end

Taste:
-Bitter
-lasting back end
-Earthy/Dirt

Mouth Feel:
-Light moves to heavy
-No carbonation
-Hangs around
-Dirt, dirt, dirt

2.2/5  rDev -39.7%

Blah Blah Blah the same two paragraph response from amateur dictionary readers.
This beer gave me a headache. It tastes like lemon mixed with cigarette butts

Not worth the try.
I think I've said a "mouthfeel" and the "taste" will not leave my poor head!

2.21/5  rDev -39.5%

Light. Not much hop Profile and more malt forward. Extremely simple and pretty much one sided wwith a generic English ale malt taste and the minorest of bitterness on the palate. Mouthful just screams light and not much there. Overall very generic and virtually any other ipa has more going for it. Not worth grabbing

2.24/5  rDev -38.6%

(12oz bottle). Pours clear copper with off-white head. Active carbonation and nice lacing developing. Aroma of cardboard, wood, and some citrus. Taste is malty sweet with a hop bite of the end. Not what I was expecting. I don't like this at all. yuck.

2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

Pours a copper color body with a rather off white soapy head, fairly good retention.

Smell- alot of medicinal herbal hops with strong malt sweetness.

Taste- more herbal very oily, hop flavor. No citrus or fruity bitterness you see in alot of the west coast versions. Malt sweetness comes on to strong really overpowering the hops, I say that lightly of course but common this is suppose to be a IPA. flavor fads and leaves almost a bitter black tea flavor aftertaste.

M/D- Overall not a great beer its just ok.. I can never get paste the funky bitter oily tea aftertaste. Probably want buy this beer again..

2.38/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured into a 12oz Pint Glass

Appearance - Pours a transparent Dark Amber/Crimson color with a spongy & foamy 3 finger head. Leaves behind a good amount of lacing

Smell - Typical citrus and grapefruit flavors you'd come to expect out of an IPA, but not in an overtly strong sort of sense. In fact, the smell is quite mild and not overpowering at all. The hops are also not very strong at all

Taste - Subtle piney hop flavors with a slight citrus/grapefruit flavor. There isn't really that much going on in regards to flavor, which is unusual for an IPA. It's not offensive in anyway but it's also not what I'd call good.

Mouthfeel - There's no carbonation to speak of at all; It's a fairly smooth beer in an almost creamy sense and it's easy to drink. Body is fairly light as well, which helps add to the drinkability

Overall - All in all, it's a fairly weak IPA in terms of taste. Sure it's a good starter IPA; It looks good and it's pretty easy to drink, but the flavor is fairly bland for an IPA. Hopheads should look elsewhere for a good IPA

2.39/5  rDev -34.5%

A-Pours an almost transparent,dirty penny brown with some dull orange peaking through.Decent two fingers worth of slightly tawny head that showed moderate retention and left wispy lacing.

S-Overly sweet and bready.Brown bread,caramel,some muted,stale,earthy hop notes of watered down oj and wet grass.Weak and what is there is not what I'm looking for in my American IPA's.

T-The taste follows the nose.Too sweet with caramelized grains,multigrain toast,weak pine,odd spice,dead grass and stale citrus.

M-Medium bodied with an almost dingy aftertaste.Too much like an English IPA.I know that there's English hops in this.It doesn't fit into the American IPA category in my opinion.

O-Not good!

2.41/5  rDev -34%

A- Looks very nice, ruby red/amber color with a nice tan creamy head. 2 Fingers. love the color of this beer.

S- mild smell of hops and some other mild flavors.

T- What the hell. This is not what i was expecting from boston beer. The flavor? nothing like the IPA i was expecting, its tangy but not satifieing, has sort of a funky taste. NOT WHAT I LIKE IN AN IPA. horrible after taste....

M- hops linger with a slight taste of funk, and not good funk..

D- never again.. but i have had worse.

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

I will review this beer only to say that I personally have not enjoyed any IPAs that I have tried. sorry, can't get past the insanely bitter hops. if anyone has any suggestions for me feel free to let me know, I strive to enjoy every beer this world has to offer.

2.45/5  rDev -32.9%

Nice to look at, little aroma. Taste is mainly Noble hops. To be honest, other than appearance, this beer is a little weak all the way around. Nothing really asserts itself in a positive way. The taste is similar to their Noble Pils, but not as good. There is also a soapy quality to the taste. I'm drinking this a month after the notched date, so maybe that has something to do with it, but one wouldn't expect a quality beer to fall apart so quickly, especially not an IPA.

2.46/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle dated best by Oct 2011.

Pours a little darker than an average IPA. A little more copper to brown with 1 finger head, some retention and little lacing.

Smells more like a hefe or belgian than anything else. Not a big turn on for me as I much prefer American yeast strains. Getting some banana and clove, barely any hops.

Tastes OK. A little bitter with brown sugar and some of that banana and clove you might get from a hefe. The hops don't shine through, nor does the malt. It's overpowered by the weird yeast.

Mouthfeel is average. Moderate carbonation and medium body. It wasn't watery, so that's a plus.

Overall I probably won't drink this again unless it's the only thing other than BMC and someone else is buying.

2.48/5  rDev -32.1%

*Review taken from notes*

A: Hazy gold with some amber colors. Creamy-bronze head.

S: Subtle hop citrus -- nothing distinct.

T: The bitterness is overwhelming what hoppy flavors are there. Malty. Flavor is almost absent.

M: A slightly heavy body that has a very odd feel, IMO.

O: Bland to tasteless brew. Average at best. Nothing special.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

12oz bottle, best by Oct 2011. Pours ruby red amber with a large fluffy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet biscuity crystal malt with some grassy hops and some slight vegetal notes.

The flavor is pretty bland - a little sweet tea-like malt with some acidic, almost metallic, bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with creamy carbonation.

Overall, not too impressed with this IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

This isn't bad, but it's an average to mediocre IPA, when judged against the style. It's watery and simple. It kinda has delicacy, but the hoppiness is very middle of the road. It's sorta piney-grassy. Lots of caramel malt. Fairly sweet. Bitterness is mild. Just a lot of bready malt that doesn't seem right with hops. The feel starts kinda creamy but gets watery. It's not a bad beer, just not a great IPA.

2.51/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured into pint glass.

Pours lots of head, about 2 fingers. Color of head was off white. Color is a dark copper brown. Head left some splattered lace.

Aroma: Some floral hops notes. but lots of malt flavors here It does have some citrus.

Taste: Very malty flavor. Lots of bready malts. Grassy, floral hops. Light amount of citrus. More malts than I want in an ipa.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, barely bitter. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends malty, dry, and sticky.

Overall, this beer is just too malty to be an ipa. SA really failed with this one. Not that drinkable for a style that should be easily drinkable.

2.53/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Not really worthy of a lengthy review, so I'll just say this: It's an okay beer as a standby. Can taste and smell the hops, but really lacks that deep, rich, herby/bitter-sweetness and 'bite' of top quality hops. Not the worst IPA I've ever had, but from from the best.

2.54/5  rDev -30.4%

Best-By date of May 2011.

A: Reddish-Orange, copper is probably a good description, with about a half inch of creamy light tan head that hangs around and leaves very nice lacing on the glass.

S: Malty for the style, a lot of toast and a little sweetness. Hops of course, but not the punch-you-in-the-face hop aroma you'd really expect for the style. It's mostly floral with a bit of citrus.

T: A little most citrus hop flavors on the palate and bitter. Toasty though, a very bready tasting IPA, almost to the degree of being an amber ale. It just doesn't do it for me.

M: Oily mouthfeel, good body to it.

D: Just not something I'm going to go back to, at least not for a six pack of it. The malt profile just gets in the way to much for me to really enjoy it as an IPA. Tell me it's a hopped up red ale and I'm on board, but even so just barely.

2.56/5  rDev -29.9%

Copper color, nice head, decent lacing. But from there it was all downhill. I am starting to wonder if I got a stale beer. I did not enjoy it at all, and i am an IPA fan. This beer does not seem to be in the same category as lagunitas, stone, Sierra Nevada, founders, New Belgium IPAs. I thought it tasted like a brown ale. I'm all about earthy, but this beer simply tasted dirty.

2.57/5  rDev -29.6%

Pours a very pretty beer: orange with auburn and ruby highlights, under a solid off white head that leaves thick lacing.

Smells very mildly of grapes, bitter herbs, bready malts, and grapefruit.

Tastes of bitter herbs, old mint, bland and overripe fruits, grapefruit pith.

Nice mouthfeel - slick with a vigorous and lifting carbonation.

Rather drinkable at 5.8 but I wont go for another.

Sexy looking beer but no substance. This is not my kind of IPA: the English, German, and American hops do not seem to combine well, nor are they being very diplomatic with the malts. And then, this seems like Boston Lager in IPA form. The catchy name got me - but never again, even for 1.35 a single.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)