Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPASamuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA
3.56/5
Good
Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPASamuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by JoeyBeerBelly on 04-02-2010

Ratings: 3,788 |  Reviews: 1,074
2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

It’s hard to believe I’m nearly 50 beers in and this is the first Sam Adams to make an appearance. I’ll admit that I was curious about the “48.” It apparently refers to the 48th parallel north, a latitudinal region Sam Adams calls the “hop belt.” Knowing this, I fully expect my trivia team, Suck it Trebek, to fail again miserably tomorrow.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 6%

LOOK: Poured into the new Sam Adams glass I picked up last year at the original brewery. I still generally prefer to sip from my Belgian tulips and goblets, though I do think there is a place in the cabinet for this. The color, well, it’s sorta like Sam Adams Boston Lager. Maybe a little lighter? I got a nice fluffy head that’s since worked its way down. Thicker than I expected, the retention is nice.

NOSE: Chewy and rubbery and a hint of grapefruit and malt, though the former dominate. No, it’s definitely not hop forward.

MOUTH: Not my favorite Sam Adams, not my favorite IPA. It straddles the line, really, between “average” and “not likely to try it again.” I’m not one of those in-your-face hop slaves. I’ll often go to my local craft purveyor and ask what IPAs are available. Increasingly, someone who should know better will lean in to ask “do you like it really really hoppy?” – as if the question were rhetorical. I don’t think I’ve struck the proper curt to friendly balance in these situations, probably the result of a personality disorder best defined by misanthropy. Anyway, the point is this beer could use a few more hops. Or different hops or stronger hops. It has a real pleasant maltiness I’ve come to expect from Sam Adams. Tinge of sweetness, but balanced in this respect. The fruit and floral notes I’m craving are masked, I believe, by the gummy blech that follows the nose. Car tire, tree bark, and sap – they set the stage, dominate all three acts, and close the show down.

Beeradvocate Rating: 84

ratebeer Rating: 83

Hayward Abbey Rating: 74

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

1.75/5  rDev -50.8%

3.61/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - A deep reddish-copper hue with a nice two-finger head of off-white foam. Pretty decent lacing of large bubbles when sipped.

S - Mild aroma overall with way more caramel malt than I would expect from an IPA. Slight earthy smell as well. Where are the hops?

T - Hops becomes more forward in the taste than in the nose, but still has a very large malt profile. Caramel malts dominate early, giving way spicy and fruity hops in the finish. Hints of pear/green apple, and hop oil. Slight astringency in the late finish.

M - Medium bodied, with standard SA prickly carbonation. Body bigger than I would expect.

O - I think this is SA's attempt at a beer like Sierra Nevada's "Torpedo"; a big, malty IPA. However, it just doesnt have the ingredients in the way of the hop profile to match up. On it's own it's pretty decent, but nothing I'd seek out again, just an average IPA.

3.95/5  rDev +11%

A- Great pale orange-red with finger width creamy orange head. Head is sticky, leaving large if splotchy lacing. Nice carb. streaming up .

S- Sweet maltiness behind the hops ... Floral and citrus hops. delightful balance.

T- Sweet malt and bitterness up fron. Bitterness takes over ending with citrus hops. Nice bitter aftertaste with hint of citrus and maybe even pine.

M- A bit light, not too bitter.

O- Nice, tasty drinkable IPA. One of those you could have several of and not ruin your tastebuds ... if the 6.0 abv didn't throw them off.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.56 out of 5 with 3,788 ratings