Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPASamuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by JoeyBeerBelly on 04-02-2010

Reviews: 1,071 | Ratings: 3,780
3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Part of the Hop Tour 6 Pack

A clear dark amber color, with almost no head and mild lacing around the edges.

This is slightly dank and resinous, leaving a little of that sticky hop taste on your tongue. Lots of complex hop character going on, but will very little malt backbone to accentuate. This is all about the hops.

Overall, pretty good. This is the type of IPA that someone would like if you wish for a more complex hop forward IPA.

This was a nice study of different hop beers (hop tour 6 pack), but there are better options out there for an IPA.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

4.57/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I like this, but I don't buy it consistently. I usually opt for the lager or the Rebel IPA throughout the year and this, when I can find it, in the summer. It is clean, bright and flavorful, yet I often crave a deeper, more biting bitterness and will opt for the rebel IPA in it's place. I like to vary my IPA's so as not to burn out on their taste. This fits in well when rotated with the other Sam Adams products mentioned.

3.43/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This was the first hoppy beer I ever tried. All I remember is an intense hop aroma and bitter taste. At first it was overwhelming but after I was done I had a new appreciation for craft beers.

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I really don't mind this beer. It's not not truely great, but it is my no means bad. Very drinkable and should not be ignored simply because it says Sam Adams.

From a bottle into a New Belgium Globe
A: burnished amber, 2 finger fluffy head that leaves great lacing
S: lots of hops -- grapefruit, blueberry, a little pine -- and a little caramel malty sweetness
T: follows the nose but it doesn't all come together very well, for me; biscuity malts to go with the caramel; pretty sweet, a little soapy, and not very bitter, and then there's almost a metallic edge on the end that doesn't make any sense at all, and isn't pleasant.
M: medium carbonation, fairly thin
Overall: the different parts just don't add up very well. Not real great.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date October 2014.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear amber color with one finger off-white head that slowly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of bubbles remained, significant lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: sweet caramel, flowery, grapefruit, bread and some pine

TASTE: this is a less hoppy and more balanced IPA than most of this style, initially sweet caramel then a metallic hop profile that lingered, there is also a grapefruit citrus note as well.

PALATE: a little watery, medium carbonation.

OVERALL: this was a good beer but nothing special. I bought the deconstructed IPA 12 pack and liked the Simcoe, Mosaic and Hallertau Mittelfrueh single hop versions better. I salute Samuel Adams for coming up with the idea to do this. It was fun and educational. I learned something about my own hop preferences.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a new belgium chalice: color is dark copper, head is big, at least 1 inch thick and tan in color with a reddish hue.

Aroma is very pleasant: malt forward, flavors are toast, light biscuit and a solid caramel; hops are piney, earthy, bitter. lighter grapefruit.

Taste is also pleasant and malt forward: similar to the aroma the flavors are toast, biscuit, and caramel; hops are even more earthy and piney than the aroma presents. Nice flavor, definitely a malty ipa.

Mouthfeel is very good: clean bitterness, nice flavor and lingering presence.

Overall, very malty ipa with a lean towards caramel and bitterness in aroma and flavor.

Pours a nice deep orange. Mildly carbonated. Not too much on the nose, which is a bit disappointing. I liked to be punched in the face with hop aroma from my IPAs. Tastes of a variety of different hops. Resiny at first, followed by a bit of pine. Tastes a bit like an English IPA. Overall not bad.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: clear; bronze colored; 2 finger off white head that receded slowly with nice lacing;

S: earthy, with a bit of pine in the background;

T: restrained; earthiness is really all I get; mild bitterness on finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: bottle was at the end of its "drink by" period, so hops may have faded;

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I had this in a pint glass many times.
Today, once again I had it in a pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy golden burnt orange color with a one and a half finger white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute leaving some nice speckled spider web lacing sticking and then sliding into the beer.
The smell had a sharp bittersweet citrus arranging itself into a nice crisp light piney - ness.
The taste offered a crisp bittersweet citrus and sharp pine and then as it warmed there was a decent caramel malt that combined nicely.
The mouthfeel was slightly harsh but good for the style and for me as it carried a nice crisp rolling outlay of delicious citrus over my palate.
Overall, I say this was a pretty good AIPA that makes a great budget beer.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle to a Tulip glass.

A: Clear, Dark copper. 2 finger off-white head that sticks around for a bit and leaves a small layer of foam on top.
S: Lots of pine with hints of blueberry. Not as much citrus aroma.
T: Decent Bitterness up front with flavors of grapefruit and resiny pine. Malt prescence is there, but is dominated by the oily hop flavor.
M: Medium body. Slightly oily. Leaves a mild bitter aftertaste.
O: Not a bad IPA, and is a bit more balanced than some West-Coast counterparts. Reasonably priced, and is usually sold in some samplers if you just wanted to try a few. Would try again.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Picked it up on a whim at a local convenience store, and it isn't bad. It's a bit more bitter than what I expected, but otherwise it has solid flavor.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Thought this was one of the better Sam Adams beers I have had. Pored a nice deep orange color with an awesome head, white and foamy. Smells of oine and some citrus. Hop flavor is bold and awesomely balanced (I believe 5 different hops in this one). Even though the hops is dominant, there is still a touch of malt sweetness to balance. I loved it !!!!!

3.25/5  rDev -11%

12 oz bottle from the "Hopology" sampler. Pours amber in color with a very foamy head. According to the label it has 5 types of hops, so I was expecting that to dominate the taste buds. It does. At this point I wanted to reconcile the bitterness to some kind of sweet or citrus flavor, but I found some caramel, grass, and malt instead. It was a notch above okay due to the complexity of the hops, but I'm not sure this is a beer I would drink again.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Didn't expect much from Sam Adams since most of their beers are mediocre at best, but I was impressed with this one. Pours a nice deep reddish amber with good lacing. Nice piney citrus aroma. The tastes are of malty sweetness, citrus and hop bitterness though not intense. I normally go for the high ibu ipas, but the balance between the hoppiness and maltyness in this one makes up for the lack of intense bitterness. Somehow it works. Nice job Sam Adams!

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

A nice IPA from SA. The color is a dark yellow with a white head that trails the glass. The smell is full of citrus from the hops. The taste was full of pine and grapefruit and really made an effort to make sure the hops were the central point of this brew. I actually thought it was very good. Nice mouthfeel made for an overall very nice IPA that I'll probably get again soon.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Deep clear amber. Two inch head with excellent retention. Nice lacing.

S - Citrus, pine, and sweet malt.

T - Citrus, honey, malt,and pine.

M - Medium

O - My favorite from the Hopology Collection. A perfect balance of sweetness and hops without the nasty bitterness. I highly recommend this brew.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

I really like this offering by Sam Adams. I generally like their Boston Lager as far as somewhat mass-market beers go. I think that on the whole they've managed to be a very solidly good company despite their size. This is my first venture into the less-common brews that Sam Adams puts out. I've previously had their Boston Lager and their Summer Ale - both of which I enjoy.

The Latitude 48 has everything I want in an IPA. It's taste is slightly (but not overwhelmingly) bitter, and it goes down easily. It has a pleasant deep amber color and a nice head when poured into a glass. The mouthfeel is smooth, and it doesn't go down heavy like some IPAs (which, don't get me wrong, I like a lot, but just not all the time).

On the whole, I'd recommend the Latitude 48 IPA as a good, not too complex, easily drinkable IPA. It's a perfect beer for the summer, and I'll be getting more soon.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

A sixer shared with a good friend of mine.

A: Light amber with moderate head and retention.

S: Mild hop malt and citrus.

T: Same as the smell. Well balanced.

M: Smooth with mild bite. Refreshing.

O: Like most Sam IPA's, it a good starter, but not intense or very complex. Decent.

3.64/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a 12 pack of the Latitude 48 deconstructed series and this was the last one for me to try. Pretty good looking beer with some IPA nose. Decent taste, probably the best one of the series but not great. Overall a reasonable beer but not one I will be going out of my way to get again, but one I would drink if offered.

3.09/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

actually a pretty good rendition of a real IPA from what has become nearly a mainstream brewery. Sam Adams used to get respect as an alternative to the big breweries but has lost most of their cachet (or self-respect) nowadays and pumped out multiple nonsensical varieties. I still buy and drink Boston Lager (on sale) for lawnmowing and family gatherings, but most of their seasonal product is not that great. This one is good for the price, decently hoppy and not overpowering. Available only in mixed 12-packs as far as I can tell.

2.2/5  rDev -39.7%

Blah Blah Blah the same two paragraph response from amateur dictionary readers.
This beer gave me a headache. It tastes like lemon mixed with cigarette butts

Not worth the try.
I think I've said a "mouthfeel" and the "taste" will not leave my poor head!

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Clear medium amber pour with a nice dark ruby cast. Massive head with excellent retention. Very nice nose of both tropical, which is the primary, and pine hops over a caramel sweetness. Medium bodied with a slick, almost creamy, mouthfeel. Average carbonation level with a touch of effervescence on the finish. The flavor profile is quite nice, balanced, complex and hop forward. It begins with a rather unique blend of hop flavor - typical American citrus over the EKGs. Sort of an IPA and ESB cross. This flows into a mild bitterness which is grapefruit and EKG in nature. On the finish, tropical hop flavor takes the forefront over a slight sweetness. As it fades, orange is noted.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type: 355 mL bottle

For the first time in my life, I spotted something from Samuel Adams other than Boston Lager at my local liquor store. Based on my experiences with Boston Lager, I felt obliged to give Latitude 48 a try.

A- Pours a sexy amber color that is typical of an IPA . Beautiful 1 1/2 finger head that lasted throughout the duration of the drink.

S- Not as upfront as I was expecting but it was quite nice nonetheless. The smell is very floral and citrusy; they definitely got the aromatic hopping right on this brew.

T- Compared to the smell, the taste is entirely out of this world! This brew is incredibly smooth and the hopping is absolutely perfect. It definitely doesn't get much better than this one when it comes to IPA.

M- Low-Medium carbonation that is perfect for this beer. 100% Sessionable.

O- Is Latitude 48 my new favorite IPA? Most definitely. Should everyone try this? Most definitely. Two thumbs up, Sam Adams!

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

355 mL bottle from a six-pack picked up at the LCBO; best before March 2015.

Pours a clear, orange-amber colour, topped at first with nearly two fingers of frothy, billowing off-white head that wilts gradually over a period of minutes. A modest cap results, with a web of delicate, sticky lacing on the glass. Pleasant aroma, but it offers nothing unique for the style - caramel malts, pine and some citrusy hop notes.

Nothing wrong with this one, but at the same time nothing about this IPA is really grabbing my attention. Caramel malts and toffee provide some sweetness, but the malt backbone is soon overshadowed by the hops. Somewhat floral, with citrusy grapefruit and a touch of spicy pine resin. Nice bitterness in the finish that lingers briefly. Medium-bodied; surprisingly hefty for the abv, with a smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation levels are fairly modest, offering only a slight bite. Quite satisfying for a 6% IPA - not terribly interesting, but very well-brewed.

Final Grade: 3.73, a B. Samuel Adams' Latitude 48 IPA is a fairly prototypical, pedestrian sort of IPA. I've certainly had better, but this is an acceptable hoppy ale that doesn't go overboard and remains highly sessionable for the style. Worth a try for sure, and something I'd consider getting again - although with quality, domestic IPAs becoming increasingly common I'm not sure this will be a regular purchase for me.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)