LongShot Lemon Pepper Saison | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
LongShot Lemon Pepper SaisonLongShot Lemon Pepper Saison

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by smcolw on 04-02-2010

3.6

4.5/5  rDev +25%

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle pourded into a tumbler during my fantasy football draft. Bought the bottle last year and have been holding it since.

A- crispy head, golden brown

S- grainy, a touch of spice...not a ton going on here.

T- a touch of lemon and spice. Limited funkiness. Refreshing, but a touch muted.

M- crispy at first but softens up quickly. Reminiscent of a cider.

O- Overall not a bad beer, but unremarkable and lacks a lot of the key characteristics of a saison. This was a fine inclusion in the longshot sixer, but not something I'd seek out more of.

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - pours a hazed golden with apricot hues. A full two fingers of flat white foam fills up the pint glass. A good-looking high water ring of lace all around.

Aroma - a mild saison-esque yeast fragrance with some even milder lemon in support.

Taste - a flavorful saison, robust grain and spices. The Belgian yeast is a little understated, minimizing any funk or wildness. A bit pilsery, the spices and lemon meld well with the malts and yeast. Late vanilla notes on the aftertaste, and developing lemon as it warms. What a complex and tasty beer.

Mouthfeel - lots of carbonation, very refreshing. Slightly slick on the palate, goes down easily.

Drinkability - one of the best Longshot beers I can remember. Perhaps my best saison experience. Excellent brew, Jeremy.

2.64/5  rDev -26.7%

Review adapted from notes taken 10/2/10

Appearance: Nice-looking gold/yellow color with a white head and some white lacing

Smell: A little funky, but mostly just smells kind of like a bland ale with some spices thrown in - lemon is obvious, clove seems to stand out more than the pepper - doesn't really smell like a saison to me

Taste: First off, I should note that I contemplated cooking with this beer instead of drinking it - seriously, a lemon pepper beer? I was not excited - but it turned out better than I expected - citrusy, tart - spices and the black pepper are very subtle - there is some kind of funky/phenolic flavor going on, too - malts are subtle and dry - not at all what I expected, but still nothing to write home about

Mouthfeel: On the thin side, but adequately carbonated

Overall: Not really good, but not as bad as I expected

In some ways I feel like I should give this beer a second chance. I had poor expectations before I even opened the bottle, and I know that my review is clouded as a result. Regardless, this was a one-time release, so may it rest in peace in my notebook...

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Recently found this review written in an old notebook. Must have forgotten to add it.

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

A: Slightly cloudy golden color. Big creamy looking white head. Decent retention, tiny bubbled lacing.

S: Slightly chalky and funky Belgian yeast. Banana and pear esters. Grassy hops and a lemony citrus zest. Light cloves. biscuity malt. Spicy white pepper.

T: Hit of banana and clove. Funky Belgian yeast adds a wet animal fur taste, or what some refer to as "barnyard funk." This is pretty tame and inoffensive though. Biscuity malt, pear and green apple esters. Hops are subdued, but a brief flash of herbal European hops hits just before the finish. Finishes dry with some chalky yeast. Lemon pepper comes late in the finish.

M: Light in body with effervescent carbonation.

O: Good. A decent drink for sure.

Notes: Could use some more hops, but otherwise very good. Decently complex and easy to drink. I was expecting the lemon pepper to have more of an impact, but I like it where it is in the finish.

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%

This brew was a little odd to me. I guesss I wasn't feeling the pepper mixed with lemon. I felt that the spicy citrus was too much of a contrast and didn't really flow well together. The saison it self would have been fine as it was. I respect the idea of making something new. I just think that it was the proper choice.

2.95/5  rDev -18.1%

A: Pours a buttery gold with a single finger of loose head which dissipates quickly. Solid sheet of good, fine off white foam. Evident carbonation from the ribbons. Excellent clarity.

S: The lemon pepper has actually started to come out more than I had anticipated. The beer six months ago was good, relatively balanced. The peppercorn has started to dominate a bit. Butter in the background. Creamy yeast nose.

T: Yeast is out there. Quite fine. Pepper doesn't dominate as much here. A little too much grain left here. somewhat bland as a saison.

M: Medium light body with low carb for the style. Dry. Not good.

D: Meh, okay once. Glad I had one still to review.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Notes from last summer.

Pours a clear golden brown with two fingers of quickly dissipating head. Some moderate sticky lacing.

Smell is crisp lemon and malt with a slight amount of bubblegum.

Taste is bubble gum first, followed by the lemon, with a slight spice on the aftertaste.

Bright, light mouthfeel with nice carbonation.

This is pretty enjoyable, though I probably wouldn't seek it out.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a off golden color with a nice creamy head and great lacing that lasted the entire session.
Aroma of spices and citrus notes. Very clean tasting and clear. Starts sweet and finishes tart, but not sour. And not overwhelming at all.
Good fizzy carbonation the whole glass as well. Medium mouthfeel.l

4.01/5  rDev +11.4%

Notes from 04/22/2010:

12 oz bottle at 42 degrees into a tulip.

A: The pour looks like piss but with less carbonation: neon-yellow piss color with no head at all.

S: Lemon, yeast, banana, and a pungent pepper smell.

T: Very floral with lemon and tons of pepper on the back end.

M: The body is rather thin with a watery feel and relatively low carbonation.

D: This isn't bad but a thicker body and stronger flavors would've made it more enjoyable.

White head that looks somewhat smooth turning into a more of a fluffy creamy one. Looks really bubbly. Yellow color body. The head is the main attraction here. Doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

In the bottle I smelled a lot of pepper and spice. While in the pint glass, I smell some fruits and spice. Smells very interesting. I don't know if it's going to be a good thing or not.

Mostly mellow spice in this one. Not strong but present enough to know it's there. It reminds me of a Pumpkin Ale I have tried, which I didn't like but this tastes a lot better, maybe it's because it doesn't have pumpkin in it. It's nice and settle in a good way, nothing overpowering. Some citrus notes but like I mentioned, nothing crazy.

Body is smooth. Not remotely heavy at all. Feels good.

I could have another one and I wouldn't mind it. It's quite refreshing despite the 6.4% ABV which isn't noticeable AT ALL!

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a clear, golden color. One inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of tart malt, yeast, spice (ginger?), hops, slight citrus, and hint of sweet malt. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, slight yeast, hint of tart malt, slight hops, citrus, spice, and hint of floral. Overall, the pepper is very hard to discern, good aroma and blend.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Appears a transparent light gold with a mountain of white foam that slowly fades out into a fluffy cap of soapiness. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of doughy bread, demerara sugar, pepper, lemony zest, and herbal spice.
Taste is of the aromas with standout Belgian, earthy yeast with some citrus and herbal notes pulling to the forefront.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, mildly sugary, and peppery in the finish

LongShot Lemon Pepper Saison from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)