Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium
3.24/5
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Ratings: 1,132 |  Reviews: 516
3.42/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

From La tienda de la
cerveza. In Teku glass. Shared with Rafael & Sonia in end of yeqr dinner. Smooth,with lots of ripe fruits. Not champagne-like efervescent as I expect but tasty anyways,with saison notes

2.98/5  rDev -8%

3.01/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.16/5  rDev -33.3%

This was a present and so, to be fair, I should say I can't vouch for age (no date on the bottle) or how it was kept--though the person who gave it to me would have stored it probably. Whatever the reason, this was undrinkable, not for sourness (since I love many sour beers) but, primarily, for flavor. I can't do a "notes of" since I'm inclined to add descriptors like "Formula 409," but, in actuality, I don't, you know, *drink* cleaning sprays. Which is why this beer became one of the few tru drain pours I've had.

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

3.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.71/5  rDev +14.5%

750 mL bottle kept at cellar conditions since December 2010. perhaps aged too long according to Jim's 'drink by July 2011'.

A: one of the worst looking pours ive had in a while. hazy light copper hue with absolutely no head. loaded with sediment. carb isn't ripping like I expected.

S: alcohol of the rubbing variety, white oak, and tart fruit.

T: fruity. pears and grapes. finishes mostly dry with a mild acidity. certainly has taken on some notes I imagine they weren't targeting, but they seem to work well regardless. not getting any oxidation which I was surprised about.

M: carb is there, but really lacking for the style. doesn't drink like a 10% even with the aroma of alcohol.

D: I'm not really sure what to think here. overall, it really isn't that bad, however I wouldn't call it stylistically accurate by a longshot. it drinks more like a flanders than anything else. overall, I like it and think time has made it fairly complex. I definitely bought it with intentions that it would be the next big thing from SA (Triple Bock, Millennium, Utopias) and while it may not have lived up to that level it still is a good beer.

2.79/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

1.72/5  rDev -46.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Very hazy dark gold pour, carbonation like champagne kind of. Aroma was floral, boozy, rubbing alcohol kind and dew on manure grass.

Taste was more rubbing alcohol. Spice rack. More like shit rack. Like dogfish head did their usual thing and threw a bunch of shit in together with no rhyme or reason. And its like $20.

3.39/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

750 mL corked bottle poured slowly into a flute glass. As far as I know, there was only one, 2010 vintage.

I should state upfront that champagne isn't my favorite beverage. My sister loves it and has tried to get me into the bubbly with some fine, special-occasion bottles, and I always felt it was wasted on my palate. That being said, I'm pretty good a putting aside my own palate-biases and grading on a curve. So we'll give it a shot here.

It looks like a beer, with a light amber color, semi-opaque and a huge, fluffy, stiff egg-white head. Tart nose, with notes of ripe berries, bready yeast and booze. A little floral too, with a honey sweetness at the edge of the bouquet. It's tart on the palate as well, but the ripe fruit aspect takes over and spoils what would otherwise be a pretty balanced sip. It's not a drain-pour, but there's a kind of overly ripe fruit note toward the finish that's a little off-putting. Otherwise, the beer does resemble a champagne, with notes of white grapes, oak, alcohol and lemony tartness, with plenty bubbly levity. It closes with a long finish, with a subtle linger of that sort of spoiled sweetness.

Good attempt, and yet another example of brewing's ever-expanding boundaries, but not something that's going to win over new converts.

4.24/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

11/22..,.finally cracked open my bottle. Pours orange copper, dull matte with flecks of sediment with white foam that settles low. Chardonnay grape nose, woodsy. Taste is a bright juicy malt, with a champagne flavor. Oaky. Very creative and flavorful. Worth the wait.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.86/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +8%

From tasting notes. L: Pours a thick looking clear straw crowned by a 2” fluffy white foam collar that provides good lace.
S: Honey and light fruit aromas.
T: A fruit and spice palate combines beer and wine flavors with a grape-like after taste. Has a bigger malt presence than expected.
F: Sparkly, medium high carbonation, medium body.
O: This didn’t work for me. Other examples of this style are lighter, have more champagne-like carbonation and have a lighter malt touch.

3.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.79/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.87/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.29/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased a bottle while I was in Germany at Weihenstephan only to find out after I bought it that it was a Sam Adams collaboration. Opened about 6 months after the bottling date.

Miller High Life's tagline is the Champagne of Beers, but Infinitum really deserves that title. Brewed with Champagne yeast, this beer would be a good substitute for Champagne on many occasions. Lots of carbonation was apparent. I found the flavor to be mild and somewhat dry. Not a beer I'll be purchasing again, but glad I tried it once.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.24 out of 5 with 1,132 ratings