Infinium
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut
ABV:
Score:
3.3 | pDev: 22.12%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Notes:
Reviews: 517 | Ratings: 1,134 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
sirtomtom from California

4.84/5  rDev +46.7%

This is a review of two bottles drank 5 years apart, once in June 2014 and a second time in September 2019. Both bottles were from the 2012 re-release and were both kept horizontal at fridge temperatures (I read somewhere that was ideal for this beer).

Both bottles poured a hazy pale amber color, with a thick white head, some thick clumps of yeast near the end. Plenty of carbonation. Both had notes of orange blossom on the nose. Both had a mouthfeel that wasn't too sweet or dry, sorta-of semi-sweet, due to the heavy carbonation.

Both bottles opened up with a heavy sweet orange blossom flavor transitioning into a crisp light bready/saison finish. The bottle opened in 2019 did begin to show some signs of oxidation near the end of each sip.

I don't think this beer follows the style it was labeled as on here. Instead of Bière Brut, I would go with Bière Demi-Sec. Absolutely phenomenal beer that I've been saving for special occasions. Sad to see it retired.

Aug 05, 2019
josanguapo from Spain

From La tienda de la
cerveza. In Teku glass. Shared with Rafael & Sonia in end of yeqr dinner. Smooth,with lots of ripe fruits. Not champagne-like efervescent as I expect but tasty anyways,with saison notes

Dec 31, 2016
professorchow from Massachusetts

2.16/5  rDev -34.5%

This was a present and so, to be fair, I should say I can't vouch for age (no date on the bottle) or how it was kept--though the person who gave it to me would have stored it probably. Whatever the reason, this was undrinkable, not for sourness (since I love many sour beers) but, primarily, for flavor. I can't do a "notes of" since I'm inclined to add descriptors like "Formula 409," but, in actuality, I don't, you know, *drink* cleaning sprays. Which is why this beer became one of the few tru drain pours I've had.

Oct 28, 2016
Jimmys from Pennsylvania

3.71/5  rDev +12.4%

750 mL bottle kept at cellar conditions since December 2010. perhaps aged too long according to Jim's 'drink by July 2011'.

A: one of the worst looking pours ive had in a while. hazy light copper hue with absolutely no head. loaded with sediment. carb isn't ripping like I expected.

S: alcohol of the rubbing variety, white oak, and tart fruit.

T: fruity. pears and grapes. finishes mostly dry with a mild acidity. certainly has taken on some notes I imagine they weren't targeting, but they seem to work well regardless. not getting any oxidation which I was surprised about.

M: carb is there, but really lacking for the style. doesn't drink like a 10% even with the aroma of alcohol.

D: I'm not really sure what to think here. overall, it really isn't that bad, however I wouldn't call it stylistically accurate by a longshot. it drinks more like a flanders than anything else. overall, I like it and think time has made it fairly complex. I definitely bought it with intentions that it would be the next big thing from SA (Triple Bock, Millennium, Utopias) and while it may not have lived up to that level it still is a good beer.

Jan 17, 2016
rodbeermunch from Nevada

1.72/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Very hazy dark gold pour, carbonation like champagne kind of. Aroma was floral, boozy, rubbing alcohol kind and dew on manure grass.

Taste was more rubbing alcohol. Spice rack. More like shit rack. Like dogfish head did their usual thing and threw a bunch of shit in together with no rhyme or reason. And its like $20.

Dec 23, 2015
rand from California

3.39/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

750 mL corked bottle poured slowly into a flute glass. As far as I know, there was only one, 2010 vintage.

I should state upfront that champagne isn't my favorite beverage. My sister loves it and has tried to get me into the bubbly with some fine, special-occasion bottles, and I always felt it was wasted on my palate. That being said, I'm pretty good a putting aside my own palate-biases and grading on a curve. So we'll give it a shot here.

It looks like a beer, with a light amber color, semi-opaque and a huge, fluffy, stiff egg-white head. Tart nose, with notes of ripe berries, bready yeast and booze. A little floral too, with a honey sweetness at the edge of the bouquet. It's tart on the palate as well, but the ripe fruit aspect takes over and spoils what would otherwise be a pretty balanced sip. It's not a drain-pour, but there's a kind of overly ripe fruit note toward the finish that's a little off-putting. Otherwise, the beer does resemble a champagne, with notes of white grapes, oak, alcohol and lemony tartness, with plenty bubbly levity. It closes with a long finish, with a subtle linger of that sort of spoiled sweetness.

Good attempt, and yet another example of brewing's ever-expanding boundaries, but not something that's going to win over new converts.

Dec 12, 2015
KTCamm from New Jersey

4.24/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

11/22..,.finally cracked open my bottle. Pours orange copper, dull matte with flecks of sediment with white foam that settles low. Chardonnay grape nose, woodsy. Taste is a bright juicy malt, with a champagne flavor. Oaky. Very creative and flavorful. Worth the wait.

Dec 05, 2015
pat61 from Minnesota

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

From tasting notes. L: Pours a thick looking clear straw crowned by a 2” fluffy white foam collar that provides good lace.
S: Honey and light fruit aromas.
T: A fruit and spice palate combines beer and wine flavors with a grape-like after taste. Has a bigger malt presence than expected.
F: Sparkly, medium high carbonation, medium body.
O: This didn’t work for me. Other examples of this style are lighter, have more champagne-like carbonation and have a lighter malt touch.

Jul 27, 2015
ColinRaff from Illinois

3.29/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Purchased a bottle while I was in Germany at Weihenstephan only to find out after I bought it that it was a Sam Adams collaboration. Opened about 6 months after the bottling date.

Miller High Life's tagline is the Champagne of Beers, but Infinitum really deserves that title. Brewed with Champagne yeast, this beer would be a good substitute for Champagne on many occasions. Lots of carbonation was apparent. I found the flavor to be mild and somewhat dry. Not a beer I'll be purchasing again, but glad I tried it once.

Apr 27, 2015
msanborn from Texas

3.96/5  rDev +20%

As someone who drinks a lot of wine as well as beer, this was a phenomenal experience. Pours hazy golden orange with lingering bits of carbonation sitting on top. Smell is orange rind and other citrus and bready champagne yeast. Very floral on the nose as well. the first taste is all orange and yeast, subdued and balanced flavor which I think is what gets the beer it's low rating from the majority of BAs, however this isn't a beer that's supposed to slap you in the face with hops or dark chocolate or bourbon flavor, it's supposed to showcase the yeast. This is a rich floral beer with a great mouthfeel and really nothing overwhelmingly negative to it. The price wasn't an issue for me because it was free at a friend's house for a small party. If you've ever had a grand cru champagne in your life you would appreciate this beer. If you just look past the price tag, you would appreciate this beer. If you store and open the bottle correctly, you would appreciate this beer.

Jan 19, 2015
leroybrown10 from Missouri

1.82/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Infinium has a bright golden/orange appearance with noticeable carbonation as the bubbles rise in the champagne glass I poured this in. Medicinal aroma mixed with some green apple and maybe some tropical fruits. Strange, almost chemical like flavor. Alcohol is very noticeable and seems much stronger than the listed 10%. Produces an almost burning sensation on the tongue as the carbonation comes to the forefront. Very disappointing collaboration between 2 normally strong breweries.

Dec 27, 2014
Hopfensaft from Delaware

3.11/5  rDev -5.8%

2011 vintage bottle.

A. Beautiful deep orange color with faint hints of red. Pours with a big head that dissipates rather quickly.

S. Strong clover honey dominates the nose. Barely any hops or phenols (from the Belgian yeast strain). For being 10.3%, there's no alcohol notes in the nose.

T. Sweet, honey-like malt upfront. A slight carbonic acid bite finishes the taste. No alcohol notes, very smooth.

M. Highly carbonated with a nice medium mouthfeel.

O. Not a bad beer. My first beer of this style. I didn't get many champagne notes, but this beer was interesting. I'd probably not buy it again, though.

Serving type: 750ml bottle poured into a champagne flute.

Jul 21, 2014
dcmchew from Romania

3.93/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Production date 07.02.13, had a few weeks ago, a bit after the expiration date.
Pours light amber, a tiny bit hazy, with a rich frothy head that subsides to a half finger thin white cap that lasts for a very very long time, but leaves few traces on the glass.
Rather Belgian in the smell, with sweet apple and apricot jam, some fig, plum and raisin, a hint of banana, lots of caramel, faint candi sugar and sweet cake spices (licorice, caramelised citrus peel). There are some rather strong alcohol vapors coming up, also a bit of a weird scent that at first it reminded me of cat urine.
Taste starts with fruit jam (apple, apricot, peach, sweet cherry, orange) and alcohol drenched raisins. Low maltiness, some caramel and Belgian sugars. There's a mixed yeasty feel, with some hefeweizen and Belgian ale elements, the second ones dominating tho (some pepper, clove, licorice, faint vanilla). Finish is close to champagne-dry, mildly bitter from some spicy/fruity hops (not too strong).
Medium body and quite carbonated, it isn't syrupy or heavy for its rather big sweetness. Gets really boozy drinking it, quite a big problem there. Sweet and fruity aftertaste, reminding a bit of sherry or strong red wine.
Not sure why people hate this one so much. I had it on a special occasion, so maybe i am biased, but i really liked it. Aside from the booze and the (yeasty?) weirdness, this was more than decent.

Jul 10, 2014
AmyfaceNYC from New York

3.88/5  rDev +17.6%

I am surprised that other reviewers didn't enjoy this beer as much as I did. This is the first Bière de Champagne that I can remember drinking and I personally really enjoyed the style. It is very sweet, but I thought the sweetness was well complemented and balanced by the champagne-type mouthfeel, which made this go down easy for me (even with the high alcohol) and made the beer stand out from others. I'm not even a huge fan of champagne, but this beer seemed to me to combine the best of both champagne (delicate mouthfeel, gentle sweetness) and beer (stabilizing malt base). Would love to drink more of this, or try more beers in this style.

Jun 02, 2014
WOBrewstraveler from Massachusetts

3.73/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this aged bottle well past the enjoy by date - so this may not be entirely fair. Aged 16 months, not recommended 6. Beautiful hazy caramelly, orange color. Nose was Belgian-y, like a quad, and sweet with some alchohol. The champagne bubbles - still enough to overflow the bottle upon popping the cork - strip flavors off the tongue and cut the sweetness. This is good as the flavors are brown sugar, rock candy and malts sweet, again similar to a quad. Overall - glad we tried it, no off flavors from over-aging. It was an experience, not a go-to.

Feb 15, 2014
Brewster40 from Michigan

2.06/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Wow. I really wanted to like this beer.

A - really looked great. Made me want to drink it. Pale orange/amber with a lingering head. Very fine bubbles.

S - I literally winced. Some sort of rotting apricots mixed with cheese or bread or.... Not sure.

T - not good. Sorry. I hate even writing this. It tastes like some sort of weird blend of off apricots, Belgian triple and salt (yes salt).

M - admittedly hard to judge given the taste. That said, a little heavy, despite the finer bubbles which were the best part.

O- I enjoy and appreciate beer. I believe I have had nearly everything and I respect the different styles. I have to say that I had infinium 2 years ago and it was much better. Not world class, but much better. Back then I was thinking "Wow, this beer has potential". Sorry to say I may have tasted it at its best back then.

Oct 19, 2013
joeboe2001 from Maryland

4.11/5  rDev +24.5%

I feel like there are three or four factors impacting reviews of this beer.

1) Its a bit costly--though we received the bottle we drank as a Christmas present.

2) Many folks are comparing it to beers they have had in the past.

3) Many folks are keeping it in the bottle far too long--one for10 years!

4) Many folks drank it with closed minds.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the appearance of the bottle my wife and I drank, and I say that confidently even though we drank it on 12/31/11. It was absolutely crisp and clear, as was the slightly fruity smell and the excellent dry taste. Mouthfeel was as expected--comparable to some of the better champagnes we have had. It was an excellent substitue for champagne, and reminded me of some of the better altbiers I have experienced. Despite the price, I would buy it again.

Sep 12, 2013
homebrew311 from Illinois

2.82/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Logged from notes. Appearance is cloudy and orange with fizzy white head. Nose is full of white grapes and honey with a slight tartness present. The flavor is incredibly sweet and definitely crosses into the cloying arena. There is no dryness or tannins to helps mellow this out which is unfortunate. The mouthfeel is thick and well carbonated. Overall, this is pretty uninspiring.

Aug 12, 2013
SerialTicker from Michigan

3.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dated 2010. Drink by July '11... well, it's June '13.

$20 bottle that my sister brought to a BBQ. Poured this into a crystal wine-like glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy at the top of the bottle, pretty hazy by the bottom. The color is a mostly yellow sort of look. Pretty nice head, though it doesn't last long. No lacing.

Smell: Kind of Belgian. Sour grapes, mostly.

Taste/feel: I thought the rating here would be higher. The alcohol is nonexistent (being aged 3 years has no doubt helped that) in the flavor, and the sweetness and sourness that the flavor provides is balanced pretty nicely by a subtle bitterness. It's a lot of sour grape flavors, really. The carbonation was surprisingly high for being as old as it was. I thought this really drank pretty well.

This isn't a beer I'd drink often, but I most definitely enjoyed it.

Jun 23, 2013
BMMillsy from Florida

3.65/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 Vintage poured on 4/22/13. Says enjoy before July 2012. Whatevs. Pours clear light copper with a big frothy head. Aroma of funky yeast, pear, peaches, mango, pineapple, and a hint of spice (coriander?). Some definite honey aroma. Actually quite aromatic and fruity. Flavor has a sharp strange bite. Almost like it is sour. Very dry with lots of carbonation. Light and slick mouthfeel. The sharpness takes away from what seems to be a nice fruity Belgian/Saison brew. Did something go wrong? Not bad overall, but this could have been better. Does seem to grow on me as it goes, with fruit flavors coming out.

May 03, 2013
mfnmbvp from Illinois

3.65/5  rDev +10.6%

750 ml bottle, vintage 2011. Thanks to my homie mfndsvp for sharing this bottle. Served into a Shock Top hefeweizen glass. My second review of a collaboration beer on BeerAdvocate.

A - Gentle pour yields like five fingers of ridiculous head. Body is a light cloudy golden orange color with tons of bubble action rushing to the top.

S - Has a fruity pineapple nose, slight hint of Belgian yeast / funk in there also. Has a very unique smell to it, I will give it that.

T - Feel is carbonated, some tart citrus reminiscent of fresh juicy pineapple, Belgian yeast, touch of hop bitterness, and some alcohol warmth, but the 10.30% abv is masked well. Finishes slightly sour.

M - Feel is juicy, fruity, bitter, and dry in the finish.

Overall, a unique beer experience, probably one that I won't soon forget. Glad to have gotten to try it, since I wasn't about to take the plunge for 20 dollars. Not a beer I will be having again any time soon, especially considering it's price tag, but this is one of the more far-out creations from the Boston Beer Company.

Samuel Adams / Weihenstephan Infinium ---3.5/5

Apr 17, 2013
patra7 from Greece

3.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The most impressive head I’ve ever seen in a beer: 4-5 fingers tall, fairly long-lasting, with an off-white/light-beige color with a golden tint. Same in the 2nd and 3rd and 4th glass! Light orange color.
Smell: A rich range of aromas: hints of flowers like a belgian wit bier, smell of blue cheese, some traces of sourness.
Taste: A heavy tilt towards malty/sweet character is balanced by a very discreet sourness.
Mouthfeel: Slightly oily texture, medium to full body, medium to high carbonation.
Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable ( I managed the whole 750mls on my own) despite the beer 's “heavy” character.

Feb 16, 2013
Radome from Florida

4.12/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought the 750 ml bottle in a Duty Free shop at the Munich airport in Dec 2012. There were lots of bottles on the shelf and mine had a bottling date of 1 Nov 2012. It looks like it is being actively brewed.

A - Dark copper color with lots of red. The beer is amazingly clear and bright. Creamy off-white head is a good 2-3 cm thick on initial pour and lasts very well. This is a beautiful beer.

S - The aroma is similar to a doppelbock, but it has some Belgian-like characteristics also. Bready malt, crisp, earthy German hops. There is a distinct green apple smell and maybe some grapes or white wine. No alcohol in aroma.

T - The taste is not as impressive as the aroma. Again there is a similarity to a doppelbock, but without the depth of malt flavors. There is some bready malt, but it is drowned out mid-palate by green apple and boozy alcohol. Moderate hops bitterness. Sweet finish. Probably the best comparison I can make is to Bush (Scaldis) Ambree.

M - Thick body. High carbonation and hops bitterness combine to give a harsh mouthfeel. Some alcohol burn as well.

O - This is a good beer, but with flaws. The flavors are not very complex or deep and it has a sharp, acrid mouthfeel. I put it on a level with and very similar to Bush (Scaldis) Ambree. It is enjoyable and I'm glad I tried it, but it is not an all-time favorite for me.

Feb 11, 2013
puboflyons from New Hampshire

3.79/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 2 year old 750 ml. bottle. sampled on January 20, 2013.

It pours orange-copper, slightly cloudy, with a decent, long-lasting off-white head.

The aroma is of orange and other citrus notes with notes of yeast, Belgian sugar, pale malts, and light spices.

The body is medium.

The taste has the Belgian malts and mellow sweetness of a Dubbel at first but ends with the tartness of a Belgian Tripel.

I found this on a convenience store shelf for $5.99 and the aging improved it.

Jan 21, 2013
suspect from New York

3.53/5  rDev +7%

2010 vintage...suggested enjoy by date July 2011. Enjoyed New Year's Eve/Early Morning 2013 and split among friends.

A: Deep orange color and crystal clear. Fizzy one-finger head dissipates quickly and leaves not much lacing.

S: Yeast, soured fruit, malts and some funk. The kind of funk that isn't great...not terrible though. I've definitely smelled worse.

T: Not bad! Brings together a lot of ingredients into a pretty consistent, decent flavor. It's got some sweetness to it with some yeasty bitterness. Not much hop bitter.

M: Fizzy but creamy. Leaves a weird oily feel.

O: Not terrible...was definitely expecting worse. CERTAINLY not worth the price point but also one that I was glad to share with friends.

Jan 03, 2013
Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 76 out of 100 with 1134 ratings