Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

poor
Read the review
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Ratings: 1,132 |  Reviews: 516

(Served in a flute)
2011 vintage
A- This beer has a strong pop of the cork resulting in a glass full of white foam. Soon a crystal clear dark caramel colored body forms with a slow motion carbonation. The subsequent glasses have a boiling carbonation.

S- The fruity esters of pineapple mix with a cinnamon spice hop quality and some sweet fresh wort aromas. There is a Noble hop pellet bitterness that grows as the beer opens up. There is a lot going on but overall it is a light aroma.

T- The dry alcohol flavor has some sweet caramel wort flavors and a field corn flavor in the finish.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a big alcohol bite in the finish.

O- The boozy thin caramel flavored water is a bit hard to drink. It doesn't have any champagne-like qualities. Everything is out of balance with alcohol heat and sugar sweet being way to strong with the carbonation trying to do its part but it is still not crisp. I don't know if you chilled this in the freezer for a bit if it was designed to taste better ice cold? I don't think age would help this, especially with the sweetness.

2.73/5  rDev -17.5%

A - Hazy amber/yellow color with a big fluffy head that didn't stick around for very long, but did leave a little bit of lace on the sides of the glass.

S - Bready, champagne yeast, citrus notes. About what I was expecting.

T - A little bit tart, with some bready and sweet malts. Little bit of popcorn, dose of champagne yeast. Citrus and too grainy, this isn't a particularly good beer.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Something of a dry finish.

O - Not a great beer, and definintely not a beer worth the price that these bottles are setting people back. not the worst beer I've ever had, but would never buy this or try to drink it again due to the cost.

2.73/5  rDev -17.5%

I got this beer because I wanted something special for new years eve. Since I work at the store I decided to take one home with my check, and give it a go around before the big night. Since we did not have any flute glasses we poured it into a Sam Adam's Boston Lager Glass. The appearance was a cloudy piss yellow with lots of bubbles and an inch thick head. The smell is of rotting apples but not in a bad way. Very sweet and fermented, it smelled nice and reminded me of apple juice. The Initial taste was once again like fermenting fruit. Very sweet and very strong initial taste of alcohol. The after taste was heavy on the fruit taste. No orange or citrus at all, but more of a sweet apple or pear taste, and mild caramel on the end. The mouthfeel was very Bubbly, and light. Over all I would give this beer a 3 out of 5. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great. I wont be getting this for our Celebration. SIDE NOTE: The people that were trying it with me said that it had a slight after taste of soy sauce. I didn't taste this but they insisted that I add it to my review to warn the masses.

2.73/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance - Poured into a champagne flute. It pours a nice amberish, golden color with a big thick cream colored head that recedes quickly. The bubbles make it a little effervescent.

Smell - Fruity, mostly apples and a little citrus. There's some sort of vinegary sour smell, but I can't put my finger on it. Not a bad smell. Malt and some citrusy hops notes as well. Nothing spectacular.

Taste - Quite malty up front--hops are present but take a backseat to the malt. Pretty well balanced, however. Reminds me of a barleywine. There's a bit of sour orange on the finish that stays with you. Not as refreshing as I expected and it's not as light as advertised. Certainly not as light as a champagne. There's very little hint of alcohol--you wouldn't know it is 10.3 abv.

Drinkability - Not as drinkable as a champagne and much heavier than I expected. Not a terrible experience, but certainly not a beer I will seek out frequently.

Mouthfeel - A little chewy, some kind of nuttiness that stays with you.

2.73/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.73/5  rDev -17.5%

Like many others had this "champagne" style beer on New Years Eve. I Was very much looking forward to this Weihenstephaner
and Sam Adams crossover brew. Sadly though I was very disappointed in this $20 bottle done by two big name breweries.

2.72/5  rDev -17.8%

The body is a murky orange-ish-brown. It's a gusher, too. It sat open for an hour or so before I poured my second glass and even that one gushed.

It smells like apples, pears, and dates, but then turns to a musty scent.

What a strange flavor profile. Tart and musty. There's some apple, but the finish had a strange aftertaste that resembles bile. Come to think about it, the taste is pretty gross. Upon first sip I didn't think it was that bad, but as it sits on the tongue it gets pretty grotesque.

Mouthfeel is the only redeeming quality. Light bodied with prickly carbonation that makes it drink like a sparkling wine.

The taste of this one is just bad. All other aspects barely make a statement beyond average. This is a beer I just couldn't get into.

2.71/5  rDev -18.1%

2012 vintage date on the foil neck of the champagne bottle. Poured into my De' Proef flute, Infinium is burnt gold with a fairly fizzy white head leaving decent lace. Not particularly different then any other bottled conditioned Belgium blonde with some time to settle and clear, but then again, I feel that way about the whole Bière de Champagne category.

Smell is way sweet malt, but with a nice herbal noble hop snap. The hops are critical and would be lost in hurry with age. There's a buttery diacetyl as well.

Taste is also heavy on the sweet blonde malts, tastes like a 3 year old trippel, over ripe banana...which is not good for being within a year old.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and thin at once, and not at all dry and crisp and champagne like.

Drinkability isn't too high, it's a strong, thick, heavy blonde. Nice bottle though.

2.69/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured from the bottle into a flute.

A - Crystal clear, amber color with a ton of bubbles running up the middle. Big white head rests on top

S - Sweet, fruity aroma, some spicy notes and almost reminds me of a scented soap.

T - Unique would be one way to describe this... kind of fruity, a bit of a citrus hoppy presence, kind of boozy, spicy notes are present as well

M - surprisingly heavy and syrupy.

D - I dunno I'm not too big a fan though I do like it a bit more as I drink it. I wish it was less boozy. I'm glad to have tried it but don't see myself buying another bottle especially at its price.

2.69/5  rDev -18.7%

Love Deus Brut de Flanders and Malheur Brut so this has some clown-sized shoes to fill. Love the packaging! Looks clear caramel with an active head that goes away quickly. Not reminding me of champagne so far. Smell is cherries and pears, very sweet. Taste is really sweet up front, then pepper, then a really odd pear aftertaste. Clean finish but wow an odd aftertaste. Its nice and tingly with a slickness but that's the best bit. Overall just not doing it for me. I'm finishing the bottle, but its making me burp weird pear candy smell into my nose. Yes, that's my official review.

2.69/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

100th style. Unfortunately the bottle is 4 years old and didn't hold up well.

2.69/5  rDev -18.7%

wasnt my favorite... for being advertised as a special beer or once in a lifetime special... it wasnt.. kind of dissapointed with it.. maybe i missed something or it just wasnt my style... im sure there are many more that will come and go... maybe ill try it again sometime and ill like it more

2.69/5  rDev -18.7%

While the wives enjoyed their champagne, I figured it was time to open my Infinium. Enjoyed this in a champagne flute just like all the other folks.

A rather aggressive head indeed reminded me of pouring a glass of champagne. The only difference is that this head had much more retention vs. champagne. The beer was a bright amber/gold color. No lacing remained.

The aroma was the low point on this beer for me. I really thought it was terrible. Burnt rubber, solvent like with some alcohol coming through. Also a bit of spice. Really not nice.

The flavor also had a bit of this burnt rubber/solvent flavor and the alcohol was there. After you adjust to this unappealing flavor lots of sweet pear and other light fruits come through. Some real bread like moments and some white pepper. It would grow on me for a bit, then I would not enjoy it. I wonder if I was trying to justify the $20 in my mind...

Very light and bubbly, aggressive carbonation.

The aroma and alcohol keep the drinkability down.

Don't believe that I'll pick this one up again.

2.68/5  rDev -19%

750 mL bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L – Cloudy pale amber color with a huge 7-finger cream-colored bubbly head. Great retention and nice lacing. Tons of bubbles.

S – The smell of champagne is apparent along with sour apples and peppery yeast. Kind of a conglomerate of aromas, but it smells alright.

T – This may be the first beer that I’ve had in which I have absolutely no idea what’s going on – and not in a good way. I’m getting sour apples and grapes, sweet bready malt, spicy peppery yeast, dry champagne, and buttery diacetyl. I have no idea how this style is supposed to taste, but this can’t be it.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with tons of carbonation, a buttery mouthfeel, and a spicy, dry, and somewhat astringent finish. Tart grape lingers for a little bit.

O – This beer is not good. Like I said, I have no idea what this style is supposed to resemble, but this can’t be it. I tend to review beers based on how they fit their given style. This means that even if I’m not a fan of a given style, a beer can still get high marks. That said, this beer is downright offensive. I can’t imagine that an entire style would be offensive to me. There have been very, very few beers that I have had trouble finishing. This is one of them, even with splitting the bottle with someone. Very disappointing, especially given the price tag and the reputations of the collaborating breweries.

2.68/5  rDev -19%

Pours like a champange with tons of carbonation that goes away ever so slowly leaving tons of lacing in the glass. The aroma is of pears & other old fruit, wet grains and some light hops. The nose isn't the most pleasant but doesn't turn you away.

The 1st sip has that champange feel but then becomes more crisp after the carbonation dies down. The flavor is just odd. It starts clean and then all I can taste is something that reminds me of a soggy vegetable mix. Seems to be a touch of honey almost then nothing. I am really trying to enjoy this but I just can't get into this. I understand some of the previous reviews now after sampling this.

2.67/5  rDev -19.3%

Looks no different than anything else which hurts this considering it's 20 bux a bottle.

Tart fruit and berry aromas, with a yeasty, spice riddled esters. White pepper, lemon zest, and other tropical fruit notes.

It's not overly bad it's just not that great for the price. Tropical fruit, floral hops, pineapple, lemon zest, more white pepper, odd ester alcohol flavors, and just somewhat offputting.

Thin and lifeless very dissapointing.

2.66/5  rDev -19.6%

Bought the 750 ml champagne bottle for almost 20 bucks at a little corner liqueur store. To summarize, looks promising, smells ok, tastes bad. They had a sixer of hopslam for 17 bills. For three fewer dollars I could have had almost three times as much high gravity, super premium beer and I would have really enjoyed it. This stuff is very disappointing, and I won't have it again.

2.66/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a golden amber color with a big white head. Head is gone pretty quick and leaves a few spots of lacing. Looks pretty much like champagne but only darker.

S- Smell is fairly sweet, bready malts, pears, grapes, apples and lemon peel. A bit of alcohol and quite a bit of yeast.

T- Taste is malty bread dough, grapes, and spicy yeast. Alcohol is here too. This reminded me a lot of a hefe with real yeasty kick to it.

M- Light in body with a ton of carbonation.

O- New style for me and its pretty much what I expected. I don't think I'll drink this one again. Not a huge fan of champagne.

2.65/5  rDev -19.9%

750ml corked and caged poured into tulip 10/2/12

A clear golden liquid with more bubbles then I thought you could fit in a glass, even a gentle pour gives 3 fingers of creme colored retains well but leaves no lace

S lots of caramel apple and some butter, a little hops but mostly sweet malts

T not what I was expecting, overly sweet and reminds me more of a malt liquor then anything, some sour cracker and candied corn, some booze comes through I didn't smell. I really didn't care for this one's flavor, perhaps I should've grabbed a paper bag for this one and drank it on my stoop or on the corner near my home.

M over carbonated and syrupy, bad boozy finish and a little hard to swallow

O started off well and went downhill pretty fast, all I got was an over carbonated malt liquor

A wolf in a sheep's clothing? sexy presentation with the sleek bottle but the liquid inside is no where near worth what it costs. I want my money back, from two breweries I respect I expect much more, don't waste your money on this one.

2.64/5  rDev -20.2%

From 12/31/10 notes. Thanks to nmann08 for sharing this one; thanks Nate.

a - Pours a clear golden/amber color with one inch of fluffy white head and high carbonation evident. Looks great, what I imagine they were aiming for.

s - Smells of bready malts, biscuit malts, butter, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Tastes of wheat, grain, bready malts, and butter again. Little bit of sweetness but not as much as the smell.

m - Light body and high carbonation, like champagne. Crisp, dry body.

d - A decent beer, but ultimately disappointing. I know a lot of people have been bashing this beer lately, but it really is a below average beer. Not the worst, but I found the smell and taste bready and buttery, and below average. Glad I got to try it, but certainly not worth the $20 price tag in my opinion. Wouldn't look to get again.

2.62/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

It looks like an orange-amber, fizzy apple juice. Its cloudy and pale. I imagine this is what they were going for, so I'm giving it points. It looks like cloudy champagne. The smell is immediately putting everyon at the table off. Soured grapes, grapefruit, and medicinal bitter orange aromas. A malty sweet underneath. The taste is easier to swallow that the smell leads you to think, but it is still medicinal, vegetable hinted, and soured. On top of that, add fizzy body and you've got infinium. Overpriced. My beer snob drinking buddy almost poured his glass out before someone else offered to force it down for him. Come on Sam Adams! You can do better!

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)