Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium
3.24/5
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Ratings: 1,132 |  Reviews: 516
2.84/5  rDev -12.3%

750ml (very cool looking bottle) into two Infinium champagne flutes.

A: Clear and dark gold in color with a ton of bubbles moving through the glass. Rocky white head about an inch thick that isn't going anywhere fast. Quite a few gobs of lacing as it slowly recedes.

S: Interesting mix of malts, and belgian yeast, smells very earthy, not necessarily funky but close. I'm also getting some interesting notes of chlorine and in general it reminds me of my high school's swimming pool. Um...definitely interesting.

T: The taste is definitely better than the smell, lots of grainy tastes, a little light bit of tartness on the finish as well. Definitely interesting. I get some notes of apples, caramel, and some spicy noble hops as well. Earthy weird mushroom flavor in there as well that is bad, doesn't do much for me. Some odd solventy flavors as well.

M: Light, crisp carbonation, nice dry finish. Kind of a creamy feel as well. Reminiscent of champagne, so that's good I suppose.

D: Definitely an odd beer, just doesn't do much for me. I applaud the effort and creativity, but the final project doesn't impress me. The earthy flavors mixed with the malty sweetness just is a strange flavor. It'd be hard to drink a whole lot of this stuff, as it isn't that enjoyable.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Lindemans flute.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, pale golden color. Has a massive, fizzy head that dissipates quickly and leaves tons of lacing. Honestly, looks almost indistinguishable from champagne. It might be a little darker but not by much.

Smell: Smells clean with a large vinous quality. Has slight hints of some hoppiness but not much.

Taste: Has a mild bitterness up front. Towards the back, it develops a sweet, vinous quality backed by some noticeable maltiness. Has a heavy alcoholic quality throughout. It tastes like "heavier" champagne (i.e. champagne with a bit more of a grainy, malty flavor).

Mouthfeel: Crisp and highly carbonated, like champagne.

Drinkability: I'm not really sure what to make of this beer. Having never had another of the style, I don't really have any other beer to compare it to. It reminds me more of champagne than any beer I've ever had. It's not bad but probably not worth the price and hype.

2.45/5  rDev -24.4%

I picked some up because I love beers from Weihenstephaner. I've never had other beers of this style, so I'm reviewing this based on my own tastes and what I think something of this style should be like.

A- Looks like a darker version of Champagne with more clingy lacing.

S- A weird smell that is tough to put a finger on the actual smell it is sort of a plastic smell. I'm really getting a permanent marker smell, you know the big thick fat black ones. I think that is some fruitiness and alcohol mix.

T- I'm not getting the butterscotch that everyone else seems to be getting. I'm getting more of a hearty earthy flavor. Almost more of a Biere de garde flavors.

M- For all the head this doesn't have all the carbonation I would have thought it would have.

D- Kinda hard to drink. Not a big fan of the taste and smell.

I'm not impressed, which is sad because I think Weihenstephaner put their necks way way out on the line and it didn't deliver. But perhaps the higher ups who made the beer liked what they made. I do have to say it is a novel idea, but for the price it elbowed out the average joe. That left the beer geeks all scratching their heads.

3.26/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured into a champagne flute

Looks like: pale yellow in appearance, champagne like bubbles, thin layer of head just a bit of lace

Smells like: Golden raisins, prunes, other sugary fruitiness, there is also an off aroma that I just can't place.

Tastes like: Prunes, other dried fruit, a bit of sugary malt.

Feels like: Champagne, feels very much like champagne, it feels dry and quite effervescent. A lot like champagne.

drinks like: I'm having a hard time being impressed with this one, I mean it's OK, it's interesting even, but it's just got a slightly off flavor and not a lot redeeming it, it reminds me a bit of sparkling wine, but I'd rather drink sparkling wine then this. I can appreciate that there was a lot of effort that went into this one, but it more or less seems like a gimmick to me.

3.61/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured a golden yellow though slightly orange through the thicker parts of the glass. The head was rocky, with large slightly off white bubbles.

The smell was all fruity up front. It made me think of dried papaya, sweet. There was some light breadiness in there as well.

The bubbles were very champagne like, light and airy therefore belchy (why is champagne sexy exactly?). The lightness of the beer was unlike any beer I've had before. It was refreshing, fruity and crisp. I like this beer as an experiment. It is fun and I admire the chance and direction they took here. If I had ordered this beer in a bar, I might have another opinion. But they were upfront about it and I knew what I was getting into. I think that girls would love this.
There is something cidery about it and I hate cider so you figure it out. Maybe it is because my parents didn't drink when I was growing up and we alway had Martinelli's sparkling cider for the holidays. It is like fermented Martinelli's.

Enjoy.

4.25/5  rDev +31.2%

This pours a clear goldish color with lots of carbonation and a white head. Lots of champagne-like bubbles.
Not a huge aroma but smells of light malt with some fruitiness.
Tastes a bit sweet with what i assume is supposed to be champagne yeast. Almost like tart apples. Some hop presence.
Very crisp and very carbonated just like champagne.

Overall an enjoyable experience. Beer and champagne in one bottle. A very good effort but at $20 a bottle its difficult to buy more.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from a rather stylish, champagne-like bottle into a long-stemmed wine glass.
Deep, honey-gold in color, and very effervescent,spritzy head of foam.
Aroma-Very wine-like, fruity, vanilla notes.
Taste-Fruit wine,apricot, peach cobbler, honey.
Rather dry finish.
Overall,more sweet than anything, a good dose of balancing hops could have helped the flavor, but maybe that's not quite the style. Certainly an interesting beer that to me would be well-suited as a dessert beer and would be an excellent match for chocolate-dipped strawberries. A bit too expensive to be an everyday beer, but for a special occasion(Valentine's Day anyone?) and as a rather sweet-flavored high ABV brew, it could be a way to introduce your wife or girlfriend to your little corner of the craft beer world. I'm just sayin'...

1.98/5  rDev -38.9%

Extra note- Be careful when opening the bottle. I could not get the cork out so I used a wine opener. I've done this before with no issues but the unique bottle neck completely broke and I'm very lucky I did not cut my hand.

A- Strong carbonation; Very clear/ dull yellow color. Very outstanding color and would match up well with champagne.

S- Slightly malty aroma, no discernible hop presence.

T- Very sweet and malty, has a slightly strange sour undertone and an overall awkward flavor profile. Just overall has a weird taste about it and I'm confused with what Boston Brewing was trying to accomplish with this beer. I love creativity and I certainly hope Boston Brewing keeps pushing with this beer and fine tuning it but overall it was a disappointment. My girlfriend and I split this and she could only drink a few sips. I got down a glass and a half but drain poured the rest.

M- Carbonated/Sweet

D- Very low. Much lower than expected but this beer is kind of a malty mess.

Overall- Very disappointed. This beer in many ways comes off undrinkable. On the good side, I appreciate Boston Brewing pushing the edges and trying to develop a new beer style. I am confident with additional tweaks and experience that they can pull this beer off.

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 750ml corked & caged bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a very large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains champagne yeast, light malts, sweet & tart fruit, some spices and some hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of apples, caramel and spices followed by mildly bready flavors of champagne yeast and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. There's a good hops presence for the style that brings a good balance. There's a mild touch of alcohol in the background. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down dangerously easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, it's a decent beer to drink for a while when you want something different, but I don't feel it's worth such a high price tag.

3.41/5  rDev +5.2%

A big pop that meets my high expectations, beautiful presentation in general, and the fine foamy head that gracefully tops a golden-orange brew does no harm. Continuous replenishment by tiny streamers. A nice look whether you favor a tulip or a goblet presentation.

The nose is light all around, with some dried mango, herbal noble hopping, and white bread toasted for two minutes on the nose. The yeast is slightly chalky but not as assertive as I thought. I'll call this surprisingly hoppy.

Flavor follows suit, although the massive carbonation is both a shock to the palate up front an is quick to pull flavors after the swallow. The advisement to warm before consumption is wise, as the flavors don't emerge much while still cold.

Very crisp and light in body, despite the huge abv the alcohol is only quite prevalent, as opposed to massively prevalent. Reminds me of a very well-attenuated Euro Strong, with booze-soaked fruits, saltwater taffy/bubblegum, cherry cream soda, and sugar-topped lemongrass making appearances throughout.

Cutting to the chase: this is not an amazing beer. Infinium rides into territory occupied by traditional and "Imperial" pilsners, Euro Strong ales and lagers, even Belgian tripels. It's a high-abv monster dressed up like a lady, and it didn't fail to interest me. But I can't recommend it at the price.

3.26/5  rDev +0.6%

At $20, this is most of I've ever paid for a beer and my expectations are high. Pours into a flute with a clear gold body and a small white head; champagne-like bubbles fire up for several minutes after the pour. Aromas are interesting but not what I consider appealing: strong aromas of kiwi, grapefruit, sour cherries, and yeast. The same notes carry over to the flavor, which also had a pronounced breadiness. I like the weight and feel of the body, and the way it finishes very crisply, but the aromas and taste, while unique, are not attractive to me. Overall one of the most interesting beers I've ever tried.

3.36/5  rDev +3.7%

Finally getting around to this one.

A: The bottle and artwork is nothing short of elegant. The beer is a clear golden color with tons of visible carbonation and very fine bubbles on the surface of the liquid even 30 min after the initial pour. A touch of super spotty lacing as well.

S: The nose is fairly malty. Lots of fruits that I do not buy at the store because they are too expensive. I am getting just a touch of bubblegum as well. Little bit estery but it smells more like a belgian single than anything else in that department. Cherries later on.

T: The first couple sips it kind of tasted like DME. At it warmed more of the tropical fruit notes came out. I am not getting the aggressive alcohol presence other people brought up. There is a slight hint of it but not overwhelming at all. It is quite sweet and it does wear your palate down after a while. My first example of the style so hard to compare.

M: Dry body. Thick at times. Nice active carbonation per the style.

D: I liked it. I don't want to be reminded of the $20 price tag but I enjoyed the bottle. While I am drinking this I am thinking of the article on how they wanted to make this big beer under the German purity law and patented the process and trucked the wort to NY for the methode de champagne etc. Then I think ignore the law then. I don't think I will buy this again but I am happy to have tried this.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Clear yellow body with bubbles present in the body. Bubbly white head

S- Malty/bready nose, fruity, maybe berries?

T- Sweet fruity malts, moves to tart grapes, alcohol bite and warming finish

M- Full-bodied, very bubbly but should be expected by style

D- I actually enjoy this beer. Interesting nose, vinous taste.

A-a little bit darker than gold with way too much off white head and an extreme amount of bubbles. a fair amount of lacing stays

S-very, very fresh bananas with some scent of yogurt as well. its just very fresh smelling. medium strength

T-comes in with bananas and barley and a champagnesque crisp to it that is fortunately not un-beer like. it ends with a very decent barley after-taste. heard a lot of bad things about this one...but its not too bad. worth $20?...yes, for the first try, but due to the price tag will i ever buy this again?...absolutely not.

M-medium carbonation with a crisp finish

D-the taste stays. i actually enjoyed this a lot all the way through. there is not hint of the higher ABV in it. i wouldn't mind having this again, i just wish it weren't so expensive. it is just way too overpriced.

3.11/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a champagne glass.

Fluffy white head sits on top of a clear effervescent golden body.

Nose of tart green apples, biscuity malts, honey and caramel. And a kinda strange yeasty note.

Taste of biscuits, toast, caramel, a strange sweetness I find hard to put into words. Some apple cider. It's not great. There are some weird flavors that I find hard to describe and am not particularly fond of.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with loads of effervescent tiny bubbles.

Pretty disappointing.

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

I got this one for Christmas from my friends wife. What a keeper! Poured into a champagne flute. Clean golden heavily carbonated body. The initial pour was mostly head. Honestly, this was a pain in the ass to get into our glassware. It took about twenty minutes to finish up pouring. Once it finally settled down it looked good with a clean body and creamy inch of white head with sticky lace and retention. It looked good, but loses points for a bit for the ordeal. The smell is slightly bitter with a granny smith aroma. it's rounded out being kind of yeasty. As far as the taste goes I always have trouble with a unique beer like this. It's dry, yeasty and slightly bitter to finish out. I kind of detect apples on the pallet but overall this seems kind of lame. I kind of feel like this was bubbly and to over carbonated, the body is light and crisp though. Honestly I didn't love this. I wanted a beer and I really felt like I was more or less drinking a champagne. The style just didn't really deliver for me.

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%

I am very surprised at all the negative reviews for this beer as I really liked it. The appearance is great with a snow white head and amber color. Taste is very complex dominated with sweet malt apples. Overall a great refreshing beer that I would definitely buy again if I could find it.

2.82/5  rDev -13%

Golden straw yellow color with white/off-white head.

Aromas of sweet malt and almost a banana phenolic note.

Sweet rich malty flavor with tropical fruity esthers and sweet warm alcohol notes quickly closing in.

Medium-full body with some hop character on the finish, but not enough to hold back the sweet malty/fruity/alcohol aspects which quite frankly ruined the experience for me, causing a pre-mature dumping of the beer.

It's a shame they spent so much time producing this beer with so little to show for the effort.

1.72/5  rDev -46.9%

Cracked this one open on New Year's, poured into Champagne Flutes.

A - First of all, the packaging is brilliant. Pours pale gold with a large, densely packed head of tiny bubbles that sticks around for some time. Think whipped egg whites. Lots of visible carbonation. Looks like champagne.
S - Sweet, bready malt, grapes, apples and lemon peel. Acrid alcohol burn, like cheap malt liquor. Messy.
T - Ugh. Malty bread dough, grapes, butter, and earthy hops with some spicy yeast characteristics. Definite alcohol taste and "burn" really detracts from the taste. I don't like this at all.
M - Medium-bodied with a weird oily feel. Carbonation is lower then expected. Not as Champagne-like as I'd hoped.
D - I couldn't finish a glass, let alone the bottle.

I really wanted to like this, and that was before I dropped $20 on a bottle. Oh well.

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

i wasnt sure what to expect. But for the price, i expected more. Definatly bubbly, but not champagne like. Malty, alcohol aromas, notes of earthy herbal hops. The taste is very sweet with the alcohol coming through in the end. I think of pears while drinking this.

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

S: Malty sweetness, some honey, some bread and floral hops.

L: Crystal clear burnt yellow, white effervescent head that dissipates.

T: Honey and malty sweet with a very effervescent fruity mild bitterness. A grapey almost winey note borderong on grain alcohol is present. Spicy on the backbone.

M: Very highly carbonated, medium bodied.

Interesting beer, very unique. That said, not very impressive, almost malt liquor like. Glad i tried it, but i wouldn't have it again.

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%

A: Infinium's cork pops much the same as a champagne does. It displays exceptionally fine bubbles that race from the foot to head. The body is crystal clear, and displays a gentle copper color.

S: I was pleasantly surprised by the aggressive bouquet of this brew. Toasted croissant and brioche, delicious.

T: Slightly sweet, though it's supposed to be a brut, with the aforementioned croissant and brioche. There are also minor notes of black cherry.

M: The bubbles are plentiful, but the body is slightly sticky.

D: This brew is definitely groundbreaking; I've never had anything like it. I will admit that I had something else in mind when I bought this bottle, but I have to say that the surprise was, for the most part, a pleasant one.

3.71/5  rDev +14.5%

So, after reading about this beer and watching the Sam Adams videos, I really expected a champagne-like beer....something like the bubbly, dry Belgian and French versions that have been around for a while. Wow...was I wrong...this is nothing like the other champagne brews. Instead, the beer has a richer, more amber color. It is certainly effervescent...bubbly, and dry. But, it's also very, very malty. Lots of malt character, from the first smell through the finish. The alcohol plays tricks with the malt...giving a boozy, rum-like scent and flavor. There is a bit of fruit, and a notable crispness to the beer as well. It is moderately bitter, and there are some distant herbal hop notes. The centerpiece, however, is the malt. The malt and alcohol do become tiresome after a while....not a beer for quantity. Yeast play a key role in the beer's character as well. It mouthfeel is medium-light. This one is interesting. It's a technical curiosity...getting a bubbly-like brew from all malt...but it's also a bit one-dimensional, and that does become tiresome, effecting drinkability.

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%

750ml bottle split with russwbeck and poured into an Infinium flute.

A - The bottle opens with a loud pop and pours a pale straw color, gradually building up a thick and puffy 3-fingered head of snow white. Has pretty good retention as it stuck around for almost the whole drink. Bad lacing, however. On our first pours, there was an absolute torrent of carbonation rushing from the bottom of this drink, but upon the second and third glasses, the carbonation completely died until there was only about one or two slow streams rising. Lost carbonation very fast.

S - The smell is modest, but packs a lot of apple and grape notes. Big bread malts come through as well. Smells akin to a brut champagne of questionable quality as it's not as clean or refined. Not much going on here. As it warms you can get the alcohol as well.

T - Upon the first taste... I was actually pretty satisfied. The apple in the nose really came into its own here and it was refreshing and crisp. However, I'm not sure how or why, but this flavor just drops out after about 3 seconds and I'm left with an uninspiring, bland, dull malt and yeast flavor. It's dry without bringing any discernible flavors, and sweeter than in the nose. If the beer kept the flavor from the first few seconds, it would be tolerable if not pretty good, but what's left is a lack of palatable flavors.

M - Mouthfeel is dry with carbonation that runs the gamut from huge to a level that makes Lost Abbey seem like shaken up Dr. Pepper. I'm not sure what's with the quick dispersion of any carbonation, but it doesn't help the flavors here at all. Long finish with an almost medicinal aftertaste.

D - Drinkability is low. There are a few beers that I'm glad I've only had a limited quantity of, and I'm sorry to say this makes that short list. While the initial appearance and flavor are good, the taste and everything following is a bit embarrassing given the price point for this beer.

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

Reading threads and threads of criticism about this brew I was still unconvinced this was as bad as it sounded. I finally opened this bottle and found it was really not good at all.

The appearance was adequate, with healthy carbonation and healthy color.
Smelled terrible, similar to rotten compost and decomposed vegetable. Each whiff I took I shuddered at the thought of indulging it with my mouth.
One of the worst tastes I've had in a long time. The rotten vegetable taste persisted. The supremely unpleasant taste was overpowered overwhelmingly with the strong butterscotch flavor. The general consensus of this brew justified itself and I concluded that this is a failure.

It was borderline drinkable at the moment. But after finishing this 750 cc. behemoth myself I've experienced malaise and gastrointestinal discomfort for the following few days. I strongly discouraged anyone from partaking this, as this mighty Infinium is as undesirable as the general population's opinions.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.24 out of 5 with 1,132 ratings