Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

poor
Read the review
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Ratings: 1,132 |  Reviews: 516
2.16/5  rDev -34.7%

This was a present and so, to be fair, I should say I can't vouch for age (no date on the bottle) or how it was kept--though the person who gave it to me would have stored it probably. Whatever the reason, this was undrinkable, not for sourness (since I love many sour beers) but, primarily, for flavor. I can't do a "notes of" since I'm inclined to add descriptors like "Formula 409," but, in actuality, I don't, you know, *drink* cleaning sprays. Which is why this beer became one of the few tru drain pours I've had.

2.5/5  rDev -24.5%

2.01/5  rDev -39.3%

Pours a deep, golden yellow with yellow highlights. Has a very thick white head that slowly thins up and has minimal lacing.

Has a sweet smell with strong notes of white grapes and floral hops, with a hint peach and a slight touch of spice and alcohol. There's just something off about it though. The aroma as a whole kind of smells like a bag of cheap fruit snacks.

It tastes like a bad champagne. There are flavors of yeast and spice, with a little bit of hop bitterness, but the fruit flavors really dominate, much to the beers detriment. The one thing I have to give it credit for is the alcohol level is very well hidden. For a 10% beer, there is absolutely no bite at all.

Medium body, which feels surprisingly heavy. The carbonation level is way too high as well. At times, its almost feels frothy. The aftertaste is none too pleasant, and it lingers for quite a while.

Overall, there really isn't much redeeming about this beer aside from the excellent packaging. With such a high price tag (I paid $20), there's no reason not to look elsewhere.

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

4.5/5  rDev +36%

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%

4.5/5  rDev +36%

3.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy tannish straw with an abundant head that hangs around. The carbonation is tumultuous and abundant beneath the massive head.

S - Sour, akin to a lambic, with dried fruits and citrus coming through supplemented by a slight yeast funkiness. Dry, herbal tones are also present.

T - Bright and boozy out front with a lingering sour that gives way to a slight metallic tone with an essence of fruit and yeast. Akin to a lambic or other sour ale but with less of a malt character and an overall quality akin to a champagne with its vibrant, dry acidity.

M - Explosive carbonation and a sticky, boozy mouth.

O - An alright beer and an interesting style, but for the price I'd much rather be drinking a good trappist.

1.25/5  rDev -62.2%

1.58/5  rDev -52.3%

I picked up a bottle of this on impulse from a big display. I'm a big Sam Adams fan.

Pours a slightly cloudy amber with a lot of carbonation going on. Not much head. The smell is slightly fruity and dry with some errant coconut. The taste is a little unexpected. What comes to mind is orange cough medicine and furniture polish. After it warms a little it's still not good. What ever the guys were going for here they missed. Somewhat heavy mouthfeel with heavy carbonation. Very unusual. I suggest passing on this beer.

3.26/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: It pours a dark copper body with a large amount of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet malts, alcohol, sour grapes, and maybe a hint of apple can be detected. Nothing becomes more noticeable as the beer warms except maybe the booze.

Taste: It sort of follows the nose. There is a sweet fruity taste up front followed by a punch of grape juice and alcohol in the aftertaste. There is a decent balance but the "beer" tastes are only barely recognizable. It reminds me more of a full bodied white wine.

Mouth feel: The large amount of carbonation creates an extremely dry and spicy sensation in the throat. This is probably the most interesting part of this brew.

Overall: This is an interesting experiment but I do not think I would buy it again. It is certainly not horrible but it does not taste or feel like a beer. It came off as an easy to drink champagne and it really was not by cup of tea...er...beer.

1.75/5  rDev -47.1%

3.98/5  rDev +20.2%

A - looks like an outrageous IPA. Sea foam like white head. Vey aggressive bubbles.
S-pear, soapy, slightly pinelike. It was funky.
T- weihenstephaner dominates the taste. Citrus and champagne in the beginning. Apple malt
a-relatively smooth and fluffy, not overly carbonated. Slightly metallic
D-heavily carbonated maybe rough on the stomach.

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

Not very easy to get, especially with the $20 price tag that comes along with it. I love BBC and always will..
A- Very bubbly with a clear wheat color. Champagne look for sure
S- Smells very fruity with a hint of hops. the alcohol comes out a lot in this one. Smells like a little bit of pear, or passion fruit. very pleasant at that though.

T- Is a Good, but not amazing. Sweet malts present. leaves kind of a weird aftertaste in your mouth.

M- Is just like drinking a champagne really. the taste is very deceiving as you expect to get a champagne like taste but it tastes like a nice ale.

D- I think this is an exceptionally drinkable beer. But with the price it is something that you have to consider. Maybe something as a celebration?
When it all comes down to it, Koch said he wanted to make something new. He wanted to create a champagne like beer, and i think he did just that. This beer was everything he said it was going to be. I personally bought 3 bottles. I live in ohio and thought i wasn't going to be able to purchase it. I did however get lucky enough to find some and purchase it. All around a GREAT beer.

3.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think this beer looks pretty good! Ok color, a good haze, nice foamy frothy head.
Smells fruity and bready. It almost smells like the cereal grapenuts with some oranges in it.
Tastes great. Way less like champagne than I expected. Not overly fruity like I had heard either. I'm usually not a fan of "fruity" beers but I don't think this is quite as fruity as people have been describing it.
Medium bodied. I assumed itd be very light and "crisp" after reading reviews. It has a decent level of carbination but I wouldnt exactly say bubbly.
Overall...not bad! This beer has gotten some pretty negative reviews but I enjoyed it. Will I pay $20 for it? Never again. Would I drink it again? Absolutely!

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)