Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

poor
Read the review
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Ratings: 1,133 |  Reviews: 516
3.06/5  rDev -7.6%

750 ml caged and corked bottle. Served in a flute, the beer pours a clear golden color with a couple inch off-white head. Little bubbles continuously move from the bottom of the glass to the top. Head retention is good, with a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is nice, but weak. The brew smells like bready malt, apples, grassy hops and an herbal/floral aroma. It tastes like white grapes, pears, bready malt, grassy hops, a weird bitter flavor (not bitter in a good way) I don't know exactly what it is, and a bit of apples and booze. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's well carbonated and has a dry finish. Drinkability is average. Overall I think it's an OK beer. It's not bad, but I don't think it's too good, either. It was nice to try this beer, but looking back now I certainly could have spent that $20 in better ways.

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Picked up a bottle for the holidays, popped it open for new years eve...

POured into a champagne glass, presented with very nice frothy head and a light amber color. Head dissipates, lightly clings. Carbonation is lighter then expected.

Smell is a sweet, and lightly roastec caramel, with light esters, bready, malty scents as well.

Taste is interesting, caramely sweetness with hints of esters and bread, malt.

Mouthfeel is very well done, nicley balanced, great flavors hit the tongue and cheeks very well.

You would never guess that this is 10+% abv, the flavors aren't overpowering and the mouthfeel is very good, just a very drinkable beer.

2.98/5  rDev -10%

The price was steep at around twenty dollars. After purchasing a bottle I learned it was a Biere de Champagne. I'm not a champagne drinker and was less than enthusiastic about this one.

A: Pours a clear amber color with a considerable amount of head that leaves minimal lacing.

s: I detected malt and bread aromas. Also dry and fruity. An overall complex aroma for such a light beer.

T: A malty start that gave way to sweet fruit.Remindes me of a cider.

M: A High level of carbonation that you would expect from this type of beer. A heavier body than I expected.

D: Just not for me especially when concidering the price. If your a champagne or cider lover you should give it a try.

serving type: bottle

3.79/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Goldenrod with a thick, foamy head and a massive stream of champagne-like bubbles. Heavy lacing.

S: Not much - light wheat and lemon.

T: Wheat and mixed spices balanced against a mild noble hop character. Light fusel alcohol.

M: Quite dry. Medium-bodied with appropriately heavy carbonation.

D: Overall, not outstanding, but quite interesting and enjoyable.

3.18/5  rDev -3.9%

A little outrageous price wise, this is a beer that has been well marketed in beer mags/even local press the Post Gazette has a good write up on it.

To be honest when I saw this bottle at my local here in town at Valley Wine Cellar, I had to think it over. Do I really want a 20 dollar bottle of beer, that I know nothing about? I decided to take the dive. This one uncorked beautifully with a loud pop, and pours effervescently much like a bottle of champagne. I don't see how they recreated a new style of beer there are a handful of brut biers out there like Deus off the top of my head. Pours a deep honey golden hue with a large white head forming thick, as it dwindles down large bands of white lacing stick to my fluted large pilsner glass. Nose is really interesting a blend of syrupy notes and green apple cider and white grapes pretty interesting mix. Even a touch of caramel glides in here from the malt content, a light herbal/grassiness from the hops. Flavor provides bountiful sweet fruit tones with warming green apple/white grape and bready yeast notes. Dry finish tingles the back of the throat, flavor wise alcohol doesn't peak through it's more in the warming in the stomach that gives the abv away. Medium bodied slightly cloying finish between the dryness and the nutty caramel cloying kick that doesn't fit in the picture. Carbonation wasn't my issue it just wasn't an enjoyable experience, a beer that should pass as the hype dwindles down. I would rather buy both a Sam Adams 12 pack sampler and a Weihenstephan gift pack four around 27 dollars where I would get 5 16oz bottles with a wheat beer glass and a 12 pack of 12 ounce samplers instead of 20 bucks for a corked 750 ml bottle. As it warms this beer becomes basically undrinkable, horrible cloying peanut/yeast breadiness with a sour tart finish. Tastes like a bad strong malt liquor, with rotten bannas and granny smith apples.

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%

I poured this from a uniquely shaped 750ml crown-capped brown bottle into a couple of fancy snifters (shared it with BA roadhouse).

A= This beer poured a very clear pale gold color with hints of a deeper orange gold throughout. The head rose about an inch, but was nowhere near as frothy as I expected. The head was a brilliant white color and the steady carbonation release kept it in place for a long time. Not much in the way of lacing.

S= This is where things started to get weird. The esters were citrusy but sort of off at the same time. Hard to explain but there was just something less than pleasant about the fruitiness (like some exotic citrus fruit that has started to turn soft and rotty). The hops lent a noble/grassy scent. Not a lot of alcohol in the nose despite the ABV.

T= Started off sweet and malty and moved into sweet and fruity. Despite this little flavor journey this beer was lacking in character. Really it was just honey/malt and that weird fruit turned bad note. Left me wishing for some yeast character (yes I know its not a Belgian ale but still it was so blah it made me wish it was). The hops appeared just enough to cut through the sweetness and then receded again. Finished with an odd combination of fruit sweetness and thin alcohol dryness. Just an odd beer.

MF= Higher than medium bodied for sure, with a very high carbonation level that gets mellowed out on the tongue by the sheer weight of the brew.

D= Its drinkable in the sense that the ABV is fairly well hidden, but the flavors were so odd that I was struggling to put down 12 ounces of this. Not my favorite beer for sure, but I admire the effort and creativity that went into the project.

3.89/5  rDev +17.5%

Had to try this bottle after the hype. I am mildly uncertain after seeing reviews thus far.

Appearance:
Poured into a champagne glass; it has the color of hard cider with lighter tones of yellow around the edges. There was a tremendous amount of carbonation behind this cork which thankfully shot into my secure palm. The beer appears rich and has a slight haze, which is something I traditionally like in a golden ale (or whatever the hell this is). What is strange about this beer is a completely lacking head and absolutely no lacing whatsoever.

Smell:
I get notes of ester sweetness, hoppy bitterness, and a slight yeasty funk/fruitiness. This beer is light yet complex to my senses. I find a slight cardboard stale scent that lingers aside from the traditional beer characteristics.

Taste:
Something so strange and complex yet refreshing and celebratory. The secondary fermentation, which must have used a pretty resilient yeast, doesn't come though strong like a belgian, but does explain some of the bready thickness. I also note a lighter citrus hop bitterness that is appropriate for a beer attempting a bubbly classic; I wouldn't want a super piney hop for something that is supposedly light and refreshing.

Mouthfeel:
The beer is fairly full-bodied with light, honey sweetness, but a slightly off-putting and syrupy aftertaste. The alcohol is not as easily hidden to my mouth as it is my nose, but does contribute to the fullness of this beverage's body. This beer is not like any other I've had and it's hard to believe that using only the 4 essentials of beer were they able to produce something with such contrast to the norm.

Drinkability:
I think this beer is quite drinkable, it pushes the limits and I can appreciate the attempt. There is a distinct yet light yest characteristic followed by a sweet malt, bitter hops, and thousands of tiny bubbles.
However, I do not appreciate the price. I'm glad for trying it and I adequately celebrated a phenomenal semester, but I love my Belgians (which can pop a cork just as hard).

Cheers.

2.24/5  rDev -32.3%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass.

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced a large effervescent white head with good retention and some lacing.

(S)- Dry and yeasty with a small grassy note amidst it. Very dry with hints at a cider component.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Some white grape and cider elements with a dry grassy hop note in front of a beer that just reminds me of a bubbly Boston Lager.

(M)- A high, but fitting carbonation level. Very dry and lightly spicy/bitter.

(D)- A major disappointment considering what a bottle of this is going for $$ wise. Nothing too special about it; reminds me of a slightly tweaked Boston Lager with a yeastier profile and higher carbonation level.

Served at about 40F in a Champagne flute.

A = Deeper, more robust yellow than I had anticipated, very good clarity, has a bright white head of small bubbles that slower recedes leaving light lacing.

S = Honeysuckle, floral scents, honey.

T = Refreshing light tart flavors hit the tip of the tongue and continue onto the middle and back of the palate. Hints of not quite ripe apricots, clover honey mead, some yellow grapefruit, pears, very fruity, slight hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Very interesting in that it has definite champagne like qualities, not of a classic brut more of a blanc de noirs or a rose, but at the same time it is almost like a cross between a wit, a saison and a kristalweizen.

M = Medium body, light tingling carbonation, goes well with the taste.

D = This one is quite an easy drinker and would definitely be a suitable alternative to champagne.

3.84/5  rDev +16%

When I pulled the cork out, a delightful smell hit me right away, but went away quickly. I thought the taste was pretty average. Sweet and Malty, which is good for me because I am not into a really bitter taste. I wasn't blown away, but this is definitely a decent beer. I would reserve this for some of my friends that are more into wine, as I can see this beer being a good crossover for them.

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Got thisone and tried it Christmas eve 2010.

It poured a slight hazey gold. Tons of carbonation in the glass. A large white head, some lace that fades to a trace.

Aroma of sweetness yet citric.

Taste starts out sweet, candied sugar. Then citric with pink grapefruit up front. Then a boozy alcohol is last to show up.

Mouthfeel is soft and air-like due to the carbonation. A tart pucker and lingering alcohol dryness lingers.

Drinkability suffers due to its complexity. Lots of big flavors taking you in differant directions. ok as a sipper, and at 10% plus, may as well.

2.38/5  rDev -28.1%

A: Large white head, reminiscent of champagne only slightly heavier. Golden or a rich yellow that gives it promise.

S: Weird. Smells like champagne, with the alcohol smell very present. Not what I expect from a beer.

T: Follows the nose. Champagne taste with the alcohol very present but not warming. Almost annoying to taste. The sweetness and alcohol clash causing an annoying aftertaste. Not nearly enjoyable enough to justify the 25 dollar price tag. The dry finish that I expect from the big champagne-y taste just isn't there

M: Almost dissapates into bubbles in my mouth before I can get a good grip on it. If it wasn't for the disappointing taste I almost wouldn't know that it was there.

D: I wouldn't have another glass. Just didn't do it for me. I would certainly not buy this again.

The glorified bottle, hype, and price made me think that this was going to be a beer to remember. If this was a 10 or even 15 dollar bottle it'd be justifiable. But 25 dollars? Not worth the price tag. Definitlely dissappointing. But enjoy it or not I'm glad I tried it once.

3.98/5  rDev +20.2%

Glad I got a chance to sample this beer. I know a lot of people did not like this beer, but I loved it.

Golden pour with lots of bubbles with a nice white head that recedes into the beer.

Nice smell but not great. some fruits, yeast, malt.

I love the taste of this thing. Bubbly, with a great malt backbone that is sweet, very sweet. Hoppy taste to it, light, fruity. Very good beer.

The alcohol is not hot and barely detectable. Id drink this one everyday if I could.

3.61/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a clear gold in color with tons of bubbles racing up the brew and the most ridiculous massive 4 finger foamy white head that I've ever seen; I poured this into both a flute (first) and a pilsner glass, and the head in the pilsner glass was the biggest and longest lasting head that I've ever seen. The head lasted for almost 5 minutes and stayed like a cloud and left good lacing after each sip. This looks like champagne with an insanely big head on top.

Smells of sweet fruit like pear, apple, grape, some banana, sweet malt, light caramel, yeast, herbs, flowers and some floral hops; aroma like a soft bouquet of flowers in a fruit basket. The champagne-like aroma is very nice and sweet, yet different from "regular" beer.

Tastes of sweet malt, pear, apple, grape, coriander, grapefruit, light banana, caramel, yeast, herbs, grass, flowers, floral hops, citrus hops, light grains and a hint of alcohol like a white wine; this is very complex and flavorful with a lot of sweetness and a wine or champagne taste. The flavor is good and very different, but not great.

Mouthfeel is light and very crisp with extremely high carbonation that was zesty, and yet this beer was smooth and slick on the tongue; it felt buttery and went down easy, even with the borderline over-the-top sweetness. The alcohol peeked through, but was not a factor to me considering it's over 10% ABV.

This was a very good beer, and a great effort by Sam Adams and Weihenstephan, but not worth the price ($20+ per bottle). The price took away from the drinkability, as it just can't justify the expense to taste ratio. It's definitely worth trying, but may not meet your expectations unless you love champagne. I am aging a second bottle in hopes that this will age well like Dom Perignon.

3.53/5  rDev +6.6%

this beer pours a nice clear golden color with a white head that recedes to a thin layer of lace. the aroma brings a lot of fruit and malt to the nose, the yeast esters add a nice element, the taste follows with a very rich fruity flavor up front, with a sweet dark fruit finish. the full mouthfeel and medium body make this less drinkable than your average champagne... but an interesting style.

3.16/5  rDev -4.5%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a mellow alcohol feel with a good deal of malty sweetness; not dry at all, almost syrupy. The taste is average as well. It's rich and sweet with a ton of malty character and a rough alcohol finish. There is a considerable amount of booziness here. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a different drinking experience for me. I'm new to the style, but I'm guessing this isn't the best example. I'm still grateful to have tried it though. Thanks almychristopher.

2.41/5  rDev -27.2%

Bottle poured into my Narke glass...I pulled this out at our tasting as more of a palate cleanser amidst a ton of heavy stouts. Sadly, this disappointed and only thing it cleansed was my sink. Take your 1000 years of brewing experience and trade it for someone with 5 and some common sense. I guess they were going for a champagne wheat beer, which if that was their aim they hit in on the head, as that what it is. Not sure who dreamed this idea up, as it was poorly conceived...Light cloudy honey gold, bubbly, decent carbonation...The aroma is horrendous, smells like corn mostly, some yeast and wheat...The taste tastes like champagne with wheat it in, not sure why they thought a dry crisp drink would go well with a wheaty base. Light grape and soap notes add to such a great experience.

This is utter garbage, all commercial hype and should be avoided at all costs. Shame on you Mr. Koch.

3.87/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured a nice clear straw color with tiny bubbles.
Appearance similar to champagne, lots of sparkly head.

Mouthfeel was refreshing with a clean finish.
Nothing all that interesting in terms of malt character and only the faintest indications of hop bitterness or aroma presented.

Not overly sweet or cloying, went down easy and very drinkable considering the relatively high ABV. The alcohol sharpness is masked well.

Overall, this beer is just not terribly interesting.Take away the hype and the story and you've got an only slightly above average beer. Processes aside, it didn't not succeed in breaking new ground.

2.88/5  rDev -13%

Appearance: seltzery foam, champagne-esque, pale yellow, HUGE head!

Aroma: cider vinegar, malt, caramel, apples

Taste: buttery, seltzery, tangy, malty and sort of "meh". I didn't try to hype this one up in my mind but what I was expecting was definitely not what I got. It really lacked any character nor did it have a flavor that was all that appealing. It was dry like a champagne and definitely carbonated to an uncomfortable level.

Mouthfeel: like seltzer and pop rocks together in your mouth.

Drinkability: pretty low. I had about 6 oz and that was tough to finish which is a rarity for me

Overall: Disappointed for sure. Having never had anything of this style and after all the hype this was pretty weak. The price point is enough of a deterrent so the bad beer inside should be even more of one now...

2.36/5  rDev -28.7%

I had high hopes for this beer, having paid quite a bit for it, sadly this beer didn't deliever, drank it at christmas with my brother, father and cousin we all agreed it didn't taste great. The best way to describe this beer would be the offspring of both champagne and pilsner which is not a good thing. Appearance wise it looked pretty nice bubbling nicely, smell reminded me a bit of moldy fruit, taste was like someone poured sparkling wine into a pilsner and shook it up, it wasn't very drinkable and we all agreed on that, perhaps it needed to be colder and not drank with wines and other beers, but I can't review it very highly given my recollection of it.

3.96/5  rDev +19.6%

Date: 27 December 2010
Glass: 20cl Super Bock Pilsner
Type: 750ml champagne bottle

Poured gently for a 2-finger head, reducing to a very frothy film, extremely sticky and foamy lacing, color is brass stricken with copper (wow okay WHAT did I just say?). Aroma of raisins, dates, ripe figs, and lots of sweet malty sugar. Taste is slightly boozy, with figs and prunes. Very sweet and boozy on the palate. I could not sip more than a small glass at a time. Make sure you share with some friends. Definitely the champagne of beer! (Sorry Miller High Life.)

3.58/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a crystal clear golden honey color with a huge airy off-white head that settles into a light cap with some lacing left on the glass.

The aroma is of tart grapes and lemon, some light banana creme, honey and some pepper. For the most part has a champagne aroma with a little extra.

The taste starts off with a tart champagne flavor with some grassy bitterness, which can be strangely harsh a times. There is some banana creme pie and lemon notes. Not sure all of these flavors exactly pair well but the champagne flavors standout and those taste fine.

The feel is light and crisp with plenty of fizzy carbonation. Fruity sweet on the palate and finishes with a slight bitterness and dry/astringent. Basically the feel is what it to be expected of the style. The ABV is very well hidden.

A bit of an oddball beer. On one hand it nails some of the biere de champagne characteristics and on the other hand has some odd malt and yeast flavors. I feel the beer needs some tinkering but I feel that they could make this a good beer. Hopefully they will try to revamp this.

2.97/5  rDev -10.3%

750ml fancy bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a very light crisp and clear yellow/light amber - it's like a dark champagne. The head is giant, filled my tulip right to the brim with head (along with ~2" of liquid), tons of bubbles ripping up from the nucleation etching on my glass. Nose is a bit odd, there's bready yeast, some banana, and almost a yogurt scent - quite odd.

First off, the mouthfeel is quite light which I feel is correct, but the carbonation seems just a bit off, it's very fine and light and I feel like there should be a bit more. Taste is still quite fruity - banana and yogurt is what I'm tasting, not sure if this is intentional or not. The finish is a bit sweet as well. It's a decent beer, but at $17.99 it's not worth it at all.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours a golden straw color with a large foamy white 3+ finger head. Nice retention and lacing. The aroma has wheat, lemon, yeast, and banana.

The taste is much like the aroma, only sweeter than expected, which is a plus for me. There is also some apple flavor, which I did not detect from the aroma.

Medium bodied, sweet, with a lot of carbonation. A nice collaboration between Boston Beer Company, and Weihenstephan.

2.96/5  rDev -10.6%

A - Pours a dark gold with a vigerous, bubbly, huge head that takes some time to die down. Thick looking brew that clings to the sides of the glass. Lot's of visible carbonation.

S - Vinous, sweet, malty smelling. The sweet scent is so strong as to almost come off as barnyardy. Lot's of golden and toasted malts. Hints of sweet fruits and a little alcohol.

T&M - I thought it looked thick, and I was right. Seems to have a lot of residual sugars; very sweet and somewhat viscous. Sweetness remains well into the finish, but not so much so that it ends up being cloying. Lot's of malt and white grape flavors, hints of honey and pears. Lot's of carbonation, as I would expect. Fuller bodied.

D - I'm not really familiar with the style, but overall it seemed ok to me. I don't think I would want to drink the whole bottle, and I could see how this would not be for everyone.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)