Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium
3.24/5
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Ratings: 1,132 |  Reviews: 516
3.22/5  rDev -0.6%

Let me start off by saying I will never buy this beer again, not anywhere near worth 20$. Next let me say that it is impressive none the less, Sam Adams has done something completely new, never done before. It is unlike any beer I have ever had in the past, so I give them kudos for that. With that being said, it just was not that good. It has a generic color, nothing special there. Not much of a smell, subtle hints of fruit, that's about it. Mouthfeel is much like that of champagne. Drinkability would be high but the taste just kills it, it tastes like champagne mixed with a bunch of fruits that should not be mixed together, basically a bad smoothie taste.

1.97/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

180th review on BA
bottle to flute

Christmas presesnt to myself.

App- A very yellow pour with a large head that took a couple pours to get a normal 2 finger head to it. Bubbles for days dance up the glass.

Smell- A very weird smell on this beer. Almost outright butter. A little bit of hops with spice.

Drink- I am not a fan of this at all. I like a lot of Sam adams and Weihenstephan do. Not this one. It was bad. I think the style maybe the culprit but probably not. Just a bad beer.

Mouth- This is a medium body with a high carbonation.

Drink- I drain poured 20 bucks. Damn that sucks.

3.21/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Clear yellow pour with a bubbly white head. The bubbles rising from the bottom of my Infinium tasting glass are pretty impressive, but decreased with my second pour, and were essentially gone by the third and final one. Head had decent retention and lacing.

S: Sweet and malty smell, perhaps a hint of alcohol.

T: All the taste happens up front. Apples, maybe a bit of a champagne taste, but then it all drops off. It's really impressive how the taste just, disappears. A bit of a dry aftertaste, but that's it.

MF: A nice hit of carbonation, which also shows with the bubbly pour. Sort of tingly when you drink it.

D: Pretty high actually. I don't really taste the alcohol at all. This was one of the lone things I was impressed with.

UPDATE: I had a bottle of the 2011 and noticed a definite difference. I'm pretty sure they changed the recipe a bit. The taste was a bit more boozy and more like champagne. I actually liked it a lot more, but didn't write up a review. I would say if you can find it on sale for around $15 it would be worth it.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Ok, its really more a wine then a beer. Its a much heavier less carbornated champagne. Smells of sweet grapes and a little fruit. Flavors follows with taste of sweet reislings and muscat grapes. Its a great beer to buy once and use for a special occasion, but nothing to drink more then once.

3.23/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a ligth amber with straw coloured edges. Large head that gives way to minimal lacing

Smells initiallylike laffy taffy and caramel apples. A hint of grapes in the background, then a slight plastic smell in the very background, which may come from the yeast

Tastes like it smells. I don't get any hops at all, mainly a sweet caramel flavour, dry finish gives way to a crisp floral aftertaste that then disipates to sticky caramel finish.

Mouthfeel is effervescent, but it is also quite sticky and fuller bodied than its appearance would make you think.

Drinks fine, kinda sweet, starts to get more"wine like" in it's finish as the bottle goes down.

Overall ok, but a lot of hype and price tag are not really justified

2.86/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

reviewed from notes on 1/3/11

moderate pour leaves foamy head on golden color beer that quickly recedes and had lots of carbonation, looks alive and inviting. Smell some hops, smell some wine like notes, floral and perfumy. Tastes citrusy floral, qualities like that of a traditional bavarian beer, but something is not working, i'm being thrown off. The beer is medium bodied, smooth finish, lots of carbonation, with a very weak middle, and strong on the front and back ends. Infinium is drinkable, yes, but not really interested in trying again, but a must have at least once.

1.22/5  rDev -62.3%

I will keep this simple. The first time I bought this beer I thought it had to absolutely be infected. Then I tried it again a few weeks later and it had the same overpowering butterscotch smell and flavor. If this beer had any potential, the butterscotch ruined it. Honestly, I still hope I am drinking from any infected batch because anyone who puts this out as a product should be ashamed of themselves.

4.03/5  rDev +24.4%

Samuel Adam's Infinium Ale pours a big fluffy head over a clear, deep gold brew. Carbonation is very lively: big fat bubbles- the nose sweet berry, with notes of bubble gum riding over funk. More fruit is up front in the flavor, riding a crisp light barley malt backbone. I'm picking up notes of wood and citrus too, with a touch of spicy/earthy hops off the back- Saaz, maybe? Mouthfeel is light and crisp tending dry, with a subtle, fruity/herbal tea aftertaste. I think this would make a pretty good dessert beer- a brilliant experiment just made to be shared with your wine drinking cronies!

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

This beer pours an amber color with two fingers of bubbly head that doesn't stick around very long... Very similar to champagne. The aroma is similar to a wheat beer with some fruity and malty scents. The aroma is similar with a lot of sweet malt and some fruity esters. Very lacking in hops... I think some hoppy bitterness would add greatly to this beer. The mouthfeel is fairly harsh and overcarbonated. Overall not worth the hype/money.

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

Definitely surprised me.

A: Served in a thin pilsner glass the appearance is what it should be, light and bubbly!

S: Fruit notes hit the nost right away.

T: Begin 10.3% you can definitely notice the alcohol but it is soon overcome by the intense carbonation and fruity notes.

M: Strong, crisp and clean.

D: One bottle will get you going, it's a good beer to lay back with.

3.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured an orange body with a bright white head.

Taste is very fruity, malty and funky with a huge carbonation. Very much a butterscotch sort of malt. Reminds me very much of a english barleywine sort of but the super strong wheaty funk and fruity butterscotch make it an odd combo. Very warming alcohol but not harsh at all, very warming. Hops really aren't noticable and there's not a huge bitterness, just balance.
This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had, I honestly can't find a catagory to put it in. It's not Belgian, its not American and its not German but its not anything else either. Crazy beer.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

750ml bottle opened on New Years Eve and shared with nonstick. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - POurs a crystal clear golden amber color. 3 fingers of fluffy white head sit on top and show great staying power. Goog lacing left on the sides of the glass.

S - Buttery - over the top buttery! Bready malt, herbal aromas (can't identify), light cloves and bubblegum, sugar...a little bit on the weird side.

T - Buttery, popcorn...bready malt, alcohol. Not a big fan of this.

M - Rough...super buttery, lite booziness. Too much for me.

D - Not loving this. Butter overwhelms and kills it for me. Trying to force this one down but not really happy about it. Ultimately this ended up a drainpour for both of us.

4.16/5  rDev +28.4%

I really enjoy this beer and usually try to snatch a few up whenever my distributor gets a case.

A -The appearance of this beer is beautiful. Extremely clear "school bus" yellow color. If it is not poured very slowly a huge head can form, and even with proper pouring a substantial head exists and a full head is generally always present. There is a ton of bubbles streaming to the top of the glass. I like to drink it in a champagne glass, it is a very pretty beer when served like this.

S - The smell is not everwhelming. Mostly fuity notes and not much obvious hop aroma.

T - I really enjoy the taste of this beer. It is a very crisp, dry fruity experience, much like true champagne. It is not overly boozy and it is hard to detect the 10.3% abv.

M - The beer is very airy in your mouth and you can tell theres quite a bit of carbonation.

D - This beer is highly drinkable. The alcohol is well hidden and overall this is a terrific beer. I really enjoy popping one open and enjoying it over an hour or so.

I really enjoy this beer and if you are lucky enough to see a bottle of Infinium at your distributor, you should buy it. I think every beer connoisseur should try this beer if they get the opportunity, as it is really special and original. However, it does have the $20 price tag. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you can spend the money but because of this price tag, it may not be for everyone.

3.09/5  rDev -4.6%

a- hazy dark color with a strong head with strong head retention and lacing

s- some fruity notes with a sweet malty undertone

t- pretty good- initially sweet but it has some fruity undertones, and as other reviewers have said it does develop hop notes as it warms, aftertaste reminds me of some Belgian beers I have had recently

m- fairly light with strong carbonation

d- the 10.3% was not evident and all around it was just a pretty decent beer that is simply overpriced (something that didn't bother me because a friend gave me half of his)

3.53/5  rDev +9%

750ml bottle from Chevy Chase in DC, served at my engagement party. Every young girl, whether she admits it or not, dreams of finding herself a good ticker someday. I'm not one to brag, but good ol' Nick D is a rather impressive one.

Pours a clear bright copper color with a well-formed yellowish head.

The aroma is nice and pleasant, sweet malty notes and light fruits, apple and pear, with mild spice.

The flavor is not amazing but enjoyable. Sweet pale and caramel malts, light fruitiness, spicy hops, oak and vanilla.

The palate is great. Lighter on the body but smooth, with somewhat lively carbonation.

Playaz be hatin' on this beer, but you know, it's really not all that bad. I didn't find anything terribly offensive about it, and I enjoyed the half of the bottle I drank. I have to knock the drinkability score down a bit though because at over $20, it's a real ripoff.

4.03/5  rDev +24.4%

Poured from 750ml bottle into Flute glass.

A. Opened with the loud pop of a bottle of champagne. 4+ fingers of head. Good retention. Thick lacing. Color is hazy golden yellow.

S. Smell is yeasty at first. Lemony citrus comes out as well. Has a bit of a sour smell. Sweet malt gives a sweet aspect to it.

T. The easiest way to describe this beer is to say it tastes like a champagne beer. Sweet malt provides an intial sweet taste. Has a bit of a sour flavor after the sweetness. The lemony citrus comes out as well. Has a yeast flavor. Not overly complex in either smell or flavor, but I think the brewers did a great job of showcasing a lighter style. I don't understand all the bad reviews and hype surrounding this beer.

M. Medium/low bodied. Lots of carbonation. Finishes fairly dry with just a bit of lingering sweetness.

D. What can I say, but don't believe the Hype. All the bad hype that is. I was expecting this beer to not be very good, and was pleasantly surprised. The 10.3% is not apparent at all in this beer, not in the smell, taste or drinkability. This is the first Bière de Champagne that I have had, and i have to say that so far I like the style. If anything I think that this beer is an excellent example of the fact that there are different strokes for different folks.

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

From notes, 12-31-2010

A - big white head, golden looking body, lots of very small bubbles. Looks quite good.

S - dry, a light, fruity character, winey grapes, sweet malts.

T - What happened here? There's a sweet syrupy malt character, which clashes horribly with a strange dryness. Even though the hops come out a bit as it warms, the balance is way off, and there's something that tastes almost salty about it... dang

M - quite light and thin, seems a bit small for the abv

D - it's a weird beer that I don't like the taste of. Drinkability can't be that good, then...

2.56/5  rDev -21%

Served in a champagne glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

Here's how a beer geek ushers in the new year: a champagne-styled beer. It pours a clear golden amber topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises green apple, rice, corn, and that lemon-lime mixture that so many sodas have been built around. The taste holds notes of wheat, corn syrup, light fusels, and toasted rice husks. Not yum here. The body is a light medium, with an active carbonation, a fizzy feel, and a very dry finish. Overall, I applaud the experimentation, but the final product does not do it for me at all. I could only finish my small glass by turning it into a shot. Not at all what I was hoping for, I can tell you that.

2.33/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I had this beer twice within the last week or so and this review is a composite of both those tastings.

750mL bottle poured into some tulip and snifters shared among friends both times.

The cork comes out with a loud pop and a pours a crystal clear yellow golden color with a white head that dies quickly. As promised a strikingly champagne like bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. I kind of wish I used an etched bottom glass with this beer.

And then it goes downhill...

The first time I had it the aroma had a huge acidic bite to it, I couldn't pinpoint the exact aroma but a friend suggested malt vinegar. I didn't get that smell exactly but I could see the resemblance, I just didn't pick up as much acetic character. My second tasting lacked the acidity but made up for it in diacetyl. For the most part I find it hard to detect diacetyl, it's a trait not that uncommon and from tasting diacetyl doctored samples of beers I know I'm not sensitive to it. In order for me to get that aroma from a beer the levels have to be pretty high. The aroma just wasn't anything close to what I would consider appealing.

Flavor-wise it was better but not by much. Both tasting were pretty much just a highly carbonated acidic version of a light bodied light colored lager.

The diacetyl didn't come through as much in the taste but the intense oiliness of the chemical does. The high amount of carbonic acid in the beer just adds to the acid taste and harsh mouthfeel. Drinkability it's ok, nothing too revolting but just disappointed in a beer I looked so forward too.

Overall this is just a terrible value. I'm 'glad' I was able to snag one for only $16. I really appreciate the techniques used in this beer and how that justifies the cost but it's just a disappointing beer. I hope if move forward with other batches they will take steps to improve it into a good tasting champagne-like beer.

Notes from New Years Eve 2010:

750 mL bottle at 42 degrees into a champagne flute.

A: It pours a mostly transluscent straw-yellow color with some bubbliness early that fizzles out - exactly like a champagne pour.

S: Brut champagne, fresh-cut flowers, citrus, and hay - it is rather mild all around.

T: Citrus, a strong yeast flavor (definitely from Weihenstephan), grass, and white pepper, all of which are taken over by very dry champagne flavors.

M: It has a medium body - thicker than average champagne - with a very bubbly feel.

D: This is much better than I expected.

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

My girl got me a bottle for Christmas, so I decided to have it for New Years. Infinium pours a light amber color with a massive rocky head (much like some saisons). It smells of biscuity malt, spices, and funky yeast. Infinium tastes like a weak champagne that resembles more of a fine malt liquor. Mouthfeel is very crisp as with any champagne. High carbonation. Drinkability for me was not to high because of its fairly high abv, and its bubbliness. Nice as a champagne sub, but not exactly worth the 20 bucks. Not too impressive, but im glad I tried one.

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours like a champange with tons of carbonation that goes away ever so slowly leaving tons of lacing in the glass. The aroma is of pears & other old fruit, wet grains and some light hops. The nose isn't the most pleasant but doesn't turn you away.

The 1st sip has that champange feel but then becomes more crisp after the carbonation dies down. The flavor is just odd. It starts clean and then all I can taste is something that reminds me of a soggy vegetable mix. Seems to be a touch of honey almost then nothing. I am really trying to enjoy this but I just can't get into this. I understand some of the previous reviews now after sampling this.

2.41/5  rDev -25.6%

Bottle poured into New Glarus flute.

A- Pours a pale copper with a small head, about a finger worth. The carbonation is lively the whole time but fades quickly and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass.

S- Very malt forward. Reminds me of Boston lager with some champagne yeast. Hops are minimal. There is also a sweetness that I can't really identify.

T- Follows the nose. Malty with some champagne notes. I pick up a sweetness liken to a malt liquor. The alcohol is fairly well hidden.

M- Nice and crisp medium to light body. This is the shining moment for this beer. The carbonation just tickles the tongue.

D- Unfortunately this was a drain pour and I rarely ever do that. This beer was off on the taste and it was a chore to finish just half a bottle. I was wary of the price tag and for good reason.

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Thanks to jeff and stephanie for sharing the bottle. Popping the cork, it sure sounds like it.

Deep golden body, fine bubbles, white head. Looks like a kristal weizen.

Aromas of fresh bread, butterscotch, and sweet toasty malt. Similar to weihenstephan original premium.

More sweet malts, more bready character. A hint of banana, and general fruity sweetness. None of the brioche, almond character I was expecting from the champagne yeast. The finish is surprisingly boozy with some odd grape notes. No noble hop flavor to speak of.

Not nearly as carbonated or crisp as I expected. Surprisingly full bodied.

This beer is getting slammed on this site. Its not amazing, it has its issues, and it is over priced, but it is not bad. It just doesn't taste like anything all that unique. Infinium is not what I expected. That said, Sam Adams never really said what this beer was or what it would taste like, so I guess I just created my own image of this beer in my head. More than anything, it reminds me of a helles doppelbock. Sweet, bready, and boozy. Calling is a Biere de Champagne seems like a stretch.

2.98/5  rDev -8%

I really don't know why I'm reviewing this "beer" but for the $20 I can't get back I might as well. I kinda knew in the back of my mind that this was overhyped before the bottles hit the shelves, but being a fan of Weihenstephan I was willing to shell out the money for a "new style of beer."

I opened this on New Year's Day to share with my wife and her folks, who are all fans of bubbly and liked the idea of a champagne-like beer. Needless to say, they gave up after just a few sips, and I ended up drinking most of the bottle, hoping that the flavor profile would change over time. It did not.

I would describe the nose and taste of this concoction as red zinfandel crossed with dry cider, which ain't a match made in heaven. Carbonation and the bitter tartness seemed off, and while I will admit I didn't hate this beer, it was a big miss in my opinion. The marketing powers that be suckered us in with a cool bottle design and lots of hype, and we fell for it. I just wish they had called it biere de champagne, or their take on a sour beer, because claiming to create a new style of beer - that then sucks - is a major faux pas.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.24 out of 5 with 1,132 ratings