Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

poor
Read the review
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Reviews: 515 | Ratings: 1,129
4.07/5  rDev +23%

OK, this beer isn't so popular so far, but I find it to be fantastic. It seems to be a perfect marriage of Sam Adams ridiculousness and Weihenstephan tradition. Yes, it's a bit boozy, but it's 10.3%! O.K, the review...
Apricot golden color, with a moderate, biscuity head.
The palate is so bizarre, sorta Belgiany, sort of German, but mostly American craziness. A really interesting brew from two very different breweries. I loved it with a veggie burger, of all things.
Go figure.

4.07/5  rDev +23%

"Boston Bubbly"

Year: Infinium 2011

Poured from a champagne bottle
Served in 16 oz. plastic Patriots cups. Go Pats!!
Temperature: 32 F.

Pour: Pours smooth, but exploded with a foamy head. Took about 15 minutes to settle.

Smell: Light nose of citrus and apples backed by floral notes. Strong hints of malt and yeast to round out the experience. A truly enjoyable experience. It reminded me of a barley wine I had once had.

Taste: Light citrus notes and fruity flavors float on top what can only be defined as a barley wine spritzer. The overall taste is passive, and would not over power any other food or beverage flavors introduced.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated, comprised of small tight bubbles. Like a seltzer, but coats the mouth just a bit more than simple water would.

Drinkability: Yes. This is a very drinkable beer in that it is a good social beverage. Perfect for what it was designed (New Years Celebration). This is not a session beer, or even what I would typically call a beer. It was crafted for a specific purpose, and it suits that purpose very well.

Food Pairing: I drank this beer with Maine lobster dipped in butter, and found this pairing to be about as close to perfect as I could have imagined. The beer didn't take center stage. Instead, it humbly gave way to the lobster, and butter, while strongly playing the role of supporting character. By itself this beer is uneventful but bring this beer to an event, and you have something.

Overall: I gave this beer a high rating because of what it was meant to be, and that it accomplished that successfully. It is not a campfire beer, or a session beer. This beer was made to compete with champaign, and it does that. My experience with this beer was very positive. The food tasted better because of the beer. Normally we talk about beer tasting better because of food, and that is the difference here.

4.06/5  rDev +22.7%

Stumbled across a bottle of this at Julio's when it first came out and immediately pulled the trigger. Saved it for a while and figured to crack it in honor of the NHL playoffs with friends. Poured into flutes.

A - Holy cow, this is so close to what it claims to be. A wonderful golden pour with a massive over 3 finger head. Head fades much more slowly than champagne. Stuff is really spectacular for a beer, especially when you consider the ABV.

S - Sweet malts and fruits, namely apples and pears. Has a dry aroma too. Dancing in the middle between styles.

T - Nice funky fruit notes. The apples are back, along with some bready yeast qualities, but not much. The strong ABV is present at the very end.

M - This has the carbonation one expects from the style, nice and high yet oh so light.

O - I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Its super tasty and quite different. Really is a whole new style here and I personally find it quite enjoyable. Would definately buy this again inplace of champagne.

4.06/5  rDev +22.7%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a sparkling dark yellow almost gold in color with an average sized fizzy head that dissapated rapidly and had poor lacing. The aroma was of a grain malt, a light flowery hop and a sweet yeast with intense notes of pineapple, banana and orange's. It tasted sweet and acidic and very yeasty at first and then became bitter-sweet with nice hints of fruit and a mild alcohol finish. Mouthfeel was light to medium in body and syrupy in texture with a fizzy carbonation. Overall a fantastic Belgian style ale one I will definitely have to get again.

4.05/5  rDev +22.4%

Ahh, about time I got a bottle of this. Weihenstephan is one of my favorites, and Sam Adams is highly regarded in my life concerning craft beer, so hearing about them collaborating on a budget-priced champagne beer seems like a match made in heaven. Was happy to get this bottle as a gift, especially considering that these are getting harder to find. Poured into a Blanche de Chambly "champagne" glass out of a beautiful looking 750ml bottle. States the year "2011" on the neck.

As expected, pours a highly carbonated, yet amber bronze color, which was definitely not expected. Fresher batches appear to be more golden in color, but this quickly reveals itself to be a product that combines aspects of these two breweries. There's a glowing, yeasty form towards the end, with enormous alcohol leggings. This, as well as a fantastic head that sadly dies down after a few minutes, makes this a near perfect looking beer in this style.

Aromas are instantly strong and noticeable. Immediately, I get caramelized flavors that criss-cross with each other in truly exaggerated ways, such as banana, burnt caramel, toffee malts, and tons of honey. So, in other words, extremely sweet and sugared up. While this is usually a danger territory for me, I believe the aging has played a valuable process on the beer. Malts persevere, but it's really the alcohol and yeasty flavor that get me here. Hops are pretty much inexistent, and theres barely a hint of spiciness as a result. How will this all hold up in flavor? Le's see.

The first thing I can say in a first sip is that it's smooth, and extremely easy to drink as a result. The aging process has really played a significant role here, and it contains the smoothness of liquored, highly alcoholic malty beers I've had in the past. Overall, the caramelized banana flavors abound, but there are other sweet flavors, which range in and out from a pleasant to rather astringent degree, depending how big of a sip you take. What this reminds me of is a Like a fruity crème brûlée, typically one packed with such banana flavors. I do wish, if trying to be a true emulation of champagne that this had more of a Belgian yeasty flavor resembling white grapes, but I suppose I'll have to try DeuS one day! Definitely better consumed when very cold… As this warms up, the sweet flavors get really oppressive. Alcohol is highly hidden, which made this deadly to drink – I sipped my two glasses I had, but that was enough to do some significant damage, and I'm glad I got to split this (one glass would have been enough).

While I was really hesitant to try this – which I did *before* I read all the mixed to negative feedback – this still proved to be a type of beer that I've never had before. It's extremely complex, and contains tons of subtle aspects to it as well, but it's unique in its own right. As someone who loves bananas and caramel, this turns out to be rather brilliant, even if it is pricey. I would recommend it as a gift and with autumn around, it's toasty enough for the current cold weather. I can tell these two breweries put their hearts into this one, and while it may not be the greatest beer I've had, it's definitely one of the most fascinating I'll have for now.

Notes from New Years Eve 2010:

750 mL bottle at 42 degrees into a champagne flute.

A: It pours a mostly transluscent straw-yellow color with some bubbliness early that fizzles out - exactly like a champagne pour.

S: Brut champagne, fresh-cut flowers, citrus, and hay - it is rather mild all around.

T: Citrus, a strong yeast flavor (definitely from Weihenstephan), grass, and white pepper, all of which are taken over by very dry champagne flavors.

M: It has a medium body - thicker than average champagne - with a very bubbly feel.

D: This is much better than I expected.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

I hope these questions regarding this style are put to rest, and this stays as a Biere Brut because I need to tick off this style! Haha....

Review from notes:

Golden amber color, huge fluffy white head that takes forever to die down, lots of carbonation flowing to the top.

Aroma is an interesting mix of toasty malts, citrus, light mustiness, but overall, very clean smelling. Makes me wonder what kind of yeast was used in the fermentation and finishing. Tasting partner picked up pears, which I didn't notice until she said something.

Taste is difficult for me to describe. Flavor is very clean and light, with a decent caramel/toasty malt sweetness that gets washed away by the high carbonation. Hops give it a slight citrus edge, but they are not bitter in any way. Overall, it's just a toasty, semi-dry, and very clean tasting brew.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, carbonation isn't as biting as I expected. I thought i would have a Belgian-esque feel to it, but it doesn't, and that's good.

A very interesting beer. Nothing really stands out or blows me away, but it really is nothing like I've ever had before, and I do like it, but the price will keep me from ever buying it again.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

Samuel Adam's Infinium Ale pours a big fluffy head over a clear, deep gold brew. Carbonation is very lively: big fat bubbles- the nose sweet berry, with notes of bubble gum riding over funk. More fruit is up front in the flavor, riding a crisp light barley malt backbone. I'm picking up notes of wood and citrus too, with a touch of spicy/earthy hops off the back- Saaz, maybe? Mouthfeel is light and crisp tending dry, with a subtle, fruity/herbal tea aftertaste. I think this would make a pretty good dessert beer- a brilliant experiment just made to be shared with your wine drinking cronies!

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours an off-white, one-finger bubbly head that fades to a ring leaving no lace. Crystal clear amber color. Very strong carbonation, the strongest I've seen and medium bodied. Sweet fruity nose, but flavor is light caramel, with nutmeg and allspice. Seriously expensive at $20.00 for a caged and corked 750ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me. My 50th bottle from Boston Beer.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

A: Pours clear golden with lots of small bubbles, just like in a champagne. The enormous white head is thick and creamy. Dissipates slowly into decent lacings.

S: An acidic smell at first, then there's green apples. The malt is dry. A citric note lingers in the back. Yeast and pepper.

T: Sweet malt, bready and doughy. Spices (pepper and a hint of cinnamon) and yeast. Pears and green apples. A bit sour.

M: Light body and richly carbonated, but very smooth. Aftertaste stays for a while and holds a sour bitterness.

O: This was quite an interesting experience; a nice beer that is highly drinkable. I really enjoyed it.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured from 750ml bottle into Flute glass.

A. Opened with the loud pop of a bottle of champagne. 4+ fingers of head. Good retention. Thick lacing. Color is hazy golden yellow.

S. Smell is yeasty at first. Lemony citrus comes out as well. Has a bit of a sour smell. Sweet malt gives a sweet aspect to it.

T. The easiest way to describe this beer is to say it tastes like a champagne beer. Sweet malt provides an intial sweet taste. Has a bit of a sour flavor after the sweetness. The lemony citrus comes out as well. Has a yeast flavor. Not overly complex in either smell or flavor, but I think the brewers did a great job of showcasing a lighter style. I don't understand all the bad reviews and hype surrounding this beer.

M. Medium/low bodied. Lots of carbonation. Finishes fairly dry with just a bit of lingering sweetness.

D. What can I say, but don't believe the Hype. All the bad hype that is. I was expecting this beer to not be very good, and was pleasantly surprised. The 10.3% is not apparent at all in this beer, not in the smell, taste or drinkability. This is the first Bière de Champagne that I have had, and i have to say that so far I like the style. If anything I think that this beer is an excellent example of the fact that there are different strokes for different folks.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

Champaign, alcohol, bananas, white grapes,

Darker brown, HUGE amount of carbonation, bubbles all over the place, big white head, not overly thick and creamy, very Champaign like.

Fruity, lots of esters, a hell of an alcohol kick, almost a light light banana white grape and vanilla mix. The flavors really are focused on the back of the tongue. Other than a sweet note at the front. Really wish I could better explain this flavor.

The mouth is as carbonated as anything, though I have ot admit I burp less than with some other beers. The alcohol is a bit more than I expected or wanted but while it is there and VERY noticeable I still thought it was under 10%. I think this type of beer hides the ABV while still show casing it in a way. Very full body but the carbonation hides it a well early on.

I have to say a 20 dollar bottle is a hard pill to swallow and why is this 20 bucks? That said this is pretty unique and extremely interesting. It on uniqueness alone justifies the price and while not my style it's still something I'm happy to have paid 20 for. If my buzzed math works this is about 57 bucks for a 6 pack so in the EXTREME higher prices.

This is about the hardest beer I've ever reviewed. Unique to justify cost vs just what I enjoy. It's tasty and unique which works for me.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours a golden straw color with a large foamy white 3+ finger head. Nice retention and lacing. The aroma has wheat, lemon, yeast, and banana.

The taste is much like the aroma, only sweeter than expected, which is a plus for me. There is also some apple flavor, which I did not detect from the aroma.

Medium bodied, sweet, with a lot of carbonation. A nice collaboration between Boston Beer Company, and Weihenstephan.

Poured into a flute.

Appearance: Beautiful cloudy gold liquid with a sizable head. Very similar in appearance to a wheat beer.

Smell: Juicy pear and citrusy hops.

Taste: Strong pear and other fruit flavors. Nice hoppy character. Very carbonated but not in a bad way.

Mouthfeel: Lingering fruitiness. Dry on the palate.

Drinkability: This is a delicious beer with a very unique taste and presentation. Served it very chilled (~35*). Did not pick up the booziness that others have noted, particularly for a beer at 10%. Aside from the price I would say that this beer is incredibly drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev +21.5%

The other night after we closed our liquor store, we settled down and had a bottle of Infinium. From the beginning, I knew there was something different with this beer. Coming from an extensive wine background, the first thing I noticed while pouring this was the very delicate bubbles in the glass. This is how the best champagnes also look.
The ale was a light golden color with not a lot of nose. But as soon as I had the first sip, I realized what they were after.
The basics. The taste was pure clean and very refreshing.
It did not have tons of flavors, nor any distinguishing tastes, but it was perfect to drink.

Sam Adams Infinium

Appearance: golden amber, small head, and little lacing.

Smell: hops and flowery goodness with a hint of honey.

Taste: malty grain and subtle flowers and hops.

Mouthfeel: thick and heavy.

Overall:
It is much more malty than expected. It is pretty nice and rich.

4.02/5  rDev +21.5%

Popped the cork on this and shared with my wife after we signed our lives away on our new home.
I had a bitch of a time getting the cork out, and when I finally did pieces of it were still attached to the glass in the neck like they were super glued there. I can't imagine how hard this will be to pull out if someone lays one of these down.
Pours a crystal clear deep copper color with a massive pillowy white head that slowly dissipates but leaves massive lacing on the way down. Killer aroma of toffee, taffy, tropical fruits, and a touch of herbal from the hops. The aroma reminds me a lot of a well aged barleywine or very fruity saison. Taste is tropical fruity mixed with toffee. Bits of herbal hops cut through some of the sweetness as does a touch of alcohol. The overall taste is sweeter than I thought it was going to be, the semi sweet finish leaves a lingering fruity sweetness after every sip. Medium body, Medium high level of carbonation pricks the tongue a bit with every sip.
I really enjoyed this one its a very tasty beverage. Its not what I expected it was going to be, I thought it was going to be champagne like dry, but I was pleasantly surprised. If this wasn't 20 dollars a bottle I would sock some away for a rainy beer day, but since it is I will just have to say I'm glad I got to try it.

4.02/5  rDev +21.5%

A: Pours a golden yellow with an amazing 3 finger white head, unfortunately the head does fairly quickly

S: Smells amazingly fruity, with some grassy and citrus hops

T: Pretty much the same as the smell. The alcohol is actually very well hidden behind the fruitiness and carbonation... that is until it has warmed up a little. Once it's not fridge temp, the alcohol is definitely there

M: Fairly light, highly carbonated

D: One of these is good for me, especially considering the price. Not a bad beer at all, in fact much better than some of the reviews I've read. Glad I waited until New Years Eve/New Years to pop it open

Served at about 40F in a Champagne flute.

A = Deeper, more robust yellow than I had anticipated, very good clarity, has a bright white head of small bubbles that slower recedes leaving light lacing.

S = Honeysuckle, floral scents, honey.

T = Refreshing light tart flavors hit the tip of the tongue and continue onto the middle and back of the palate. Hints of not quite ripe apricots, clover honey mead, some yellow grapefruit, pears, very fruity, slight hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Very interesting in that it has definite champagne like qualities, not of a classic brut more of a blanc de noirs or a rose, but at the same time it is almost like a cross between a wit, a saison and a kristalweizen.

M = Medium body, light tingling carbonation, goes well with the taste.

D = This one is quite an easy drinker and would definitely be a suitable alternative to champagne.

L: Pours a clear golden yellow with a tall and thick off-white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, hints of banana, citrus, some yeast aromas, hops, and some spices I can't put my finger on.
T: Tastes of banana, citrus, apple, hints of some citrus-y hops, nice sweet malt base, and a hint of alcohol at the end.
M: Lighter feeling than I thought it would be but heavier feeling than it looks, perfect amount of carbonation, warming, smooth.
D: Very drinkable, this has some serious flavors to it while masking the high abv. Overall a really interesting collaboration beer.

First of all, I'll readily admit I've not had any experience with any "biere de champagne." Few are available here, and those that are tend to be a bit pricey. And besides, what are we talking about here: a super-carbonated beer? Really? More carbonation in a beer? Well, just this week I bought a case of this for my retail establishment to see what would happen, and I purchased a bottle to experience it for myself.

The bottle is a nice package, with the reddish foil and black bottle with a small explanatory hang tag hung around the neck. Popping the cork proved to be not as intense as the same on a bottle of sparkling wine; just a press of the thumb on the back and it fell away. (The audible was impressive, though.) The smallest pour caused an incredible amount of eggshell white foam to develop, nearly filling my glass from the git-go. After waiting for the bubbles to disperse and practicing my technique, the rest of the pour wasn't nearly as dramatic. I held the glass up and examined the dark gold--nearly amber--hue. Bubbles continue to shoot up from the bottom of the glass, and the head, although shorter, seems effortlessly sustained.

The nose is really unique. Honey, a light fruit character (possibly apricot), and fresh-baked sweet bread are easily detected, while minor notes of crystal malts, light brown sugar, and alcohol linger in the background. Very enticing, that's certain.

Honey, bananas, apple cider, sweet malts, caramel, etc. Is there a flavor that doesn't show up here? Wow. I have to say this is a very flavorful beer, although the body is a tad lean (sparkling wines are typically the same). The carbonation isn't as off-putting as I assumed it would be. It's a wonderful blend of sweetness and maltiness, and finishing fairly dry. It's hard to imagine this is 10.3% ABV from the flavor. What I'm enjoying now is the lingering aftertaste that blends the honey and malts, with just a tad of fruity sweetness. (More banana than anything.) The alcohol becomes more noticeable at the end of the glass.

I can certainly understand why some might not find this enjoyable. The sweeter flavors are a bit unusual for many beer drinkers. For my taste, it's fine and very interesting, and I can imagine getting another bottle or two to cellar for awhile. I know the price tag is high, but this is an expensive brew to make. It should be sampled by many, just for the experience and a chance to broaden all our beer horizons. Cheers!

Reading over some of the reviews here, I get the impression that there is some inconsistency in the bottles here - or maybe there's some bias?

Perhaps my bottle is different. It says drink by July 2011 and I'm having it June 5, 2011. It's been in the fridge for several months.

I poured it into a tulip glass. It needed a gentle pour because the regular pour exploded into massive 4 fingers worth of off white head the texture of sea foam. The color was clear and golden with copper highlights.

The fragrance was not overwhelming but certainly strong enough to smell as the glass was brought to the nose. The fragrance was of yeast, banana bread, some caramel and raisins. The smell is reminiscent of a desert wine and makes me think there will be boozy qualities ahead.

The flavors were pretty straightforward banana bread. I got some raisin, too. This lacked in complexity. If you suspend your expectations for this beer which are undoubtedly high given the hype, brewer, and price, you have a very good beer - but not a great beer.

In the mouth, it was clean given a 10.3%ABV, with velvety textures and some carbonation to clean it off. The finish was not exceptionally lengthy. Toward the end of the finish it gave some signs of the high alcohol with some boozy elements lingering.

Overall, a good beer, not a world class beer, and not a great value at nearly $20 for a 750ml.

I've got another which I'll have in the next few months, so I'll if if there are any changes over time.

Nose is floral and fruity with bubblegum-like esters and a soft sourness. Smells good.

Pours clear amber with large head. Looks good.

Very dry with spicy carbonation. Solid malty base with a good bit of malty sweetness. Estery fruity. Softly herbal. Moderate bitterness reminiscent of orange pith. Tastes good. Feels good. Good drinkability.

Overall an enjoyable beverage experience. Now that I've experienced it, I won't need to again.

A huge thanks to my friend Schmittymack for kindly sharing this one with me last Friday night. Poured a hazy golden color with a white head. Aromas of earthy hops, grain and breadiness. On the palate, this one was light to medium bodied, nicely tart, with flavors of earthy hops, straw and bread. Much better than I anticipated; I would buy this one in regular Sam Adams six packs.

Poured from bottle into tulip glass

A - Beer poured with a copper hue (brown); one finger white foam formed; foam dissipated pretty quickly; the body of the beer remained clear from start to finish

S - Scent of high ABV, spice (coriander) come up with hints of malts and hops; crisp clean smell; sweet aroma of fruits on back-end shared with liquor tones; the beer has a malt liquor smell

T - Not too much taste on the front of the tongue; soft spiced beer in the middle with a malty/bourbon high ABV finish on the back of the tongue; nice mixture of highly complex ingredients

M - bubbly like a champagne wine; accompanied by a slight creamy mouthfeel' smooth down the hatch

D - This beer was definitely worth the two-year wait; I enjoyed every sip of this one; a celebratory beer, should be shared on special occasions and best served during the holidays; SA and Weihenstephan should collaborate again to make another brew

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)