Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

poor
Read the review
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Reviews: 514 | Ratings: 1,128
2.64/5  rDev -20.2%

From 12/31/10 notes. Thanks to nmann08 for sharing this one; thanks Nate.

a - Pours a clear golden/amber color with one inch of fluffy white head and high carbonation evident. Looks great, what I imagine they were aiming for.

s - Smells of bready malts, biscuit malts, butter, and sweet fruity malts.

t - Tastes of wheat, grain, bready malts, and butter again. Little bit of sweetness but not as much as the smell.

m - Light body and high carbonation, like champagne. Crisp, dry body.

d - A decent beer, but ultimately disappointing. I know a lot of people have been bashing this beer lately, but it really is a below average beer. Not the worst, but I found the smell and taste bready and buttery, and below average. Glad I got to try it, but certainly not worth the $20 price tag in my opinion. Wouldn't look to get again.

3.18/5  rDev -3.9%

A little outrageous price wise, this is a beer that has been well marketed in beer mags/even local press the Post Gazette has a good write up on it.

To be honest when I saw this bottle at my local here in town at Valley Wine Cellar, I had to think it over. Do I really want a 20 dollar bottle of beer, that I know nothing about? I decided to take the dive. This one uncorked beautifully with a loud pop, and pours effervescently much like a bottle of champagne. I don't see how they recreated a new style of beer there are a handful of brut biers out there like Deus off the top of my head. Pours a deep honey golden hue with a large white head forming thick, as it dwindles down large bands of white lacing stick to my fluted large pilsner glass. Nose is really interesting a blend of syrupy notes and green apple cider and white grapes pretty interesting mix. Even a touch of caramel glides in here from the malt content, a light herbal/grassiness from the hops. Flavor provides bountiful sweet fruit tones with warming green apple/white grape and bready yeast notes. Dry finish tingles the back of the throat, flavor wise alcohol doesn't peak through it's more in the warming in the stomach that gives the abv away. Medium bodied slightly cloying finish between the dryness and the nutty caramel cloying kick that doesn't fit in the picture. Carbonation wasn't my issue it just wasn't an enjoyable experience, a beer that should pass as the hype dwindles down. I would rather buy both a Sam Adams 12 pack sampler and a Weihenstephan gift pack four around 27 dollars where I would get 5 16oz bottles with a wheat beer glass and a 12 pack of 12 ounce samplers instead of 20 bucks for a corked 750 ml bottle. As it warms this beer becomes basically undrinkable, horrible cloying peanut/yeast breadiness with a sour tart finish. Tastes like a bad strong malt liquor, with rotten bannas and granny smith apples.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Well this certainly is a nice lookin' bottle we have here. The beer smells like candy and fruit, but some fruit I can't remember the name of from when I lived in Hawaii. Maybe it's lychee. The flavor is quite sweet, yet smooth enough, I suppose. A bit too much of a bitter ending that oddly meshes with the sugary tone. This is a nicely drinkable beer, but really, where's the complexity?? Where's the interesting character coming from "1,000 years of brewing expertise"? On taste alone the beer is alright. But add into the mix two major breweries contributing to its production and the price tag, and this one is falling quite short.

3.43/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle shared by drabmuh on New Year's Eve. Thanks Matt! If we must drink champagne, it may as well be a bière de champagne.

A: This celebratory ale appears hazy and yellowish orange in color. The beer has plenty of carbonation, and an inch of fluffy, white head that leaves a good amount of lacing behind.

S: Malt, spices, Belgian yeast, citrus, alcohol.

T: A good tasting beer, with some nice attributes. The citrus component is rather tasty and the Belgian yeast character adds some depth and complexity. On the downside, the beer is just too sweet, and becomes cloying after more than a few ounces.

M: Medium/thick in body, with a present sweetness and warming alcohol in the finish.

D: An OK beer, but at $20+ per bottle, I don't see any more Samuel Adams Infinium in my future.

3.58/5  rDev +8.2%

I feel fortunate to have laid hands on a bottle of the 2011 vintage and so my dear uncle and I are splitting it, following an afternoon at the movies (Sherlock Holmes & the Game of Shadows).

From the bottle: "1,000 years of brewing expertise"; "A Collaboration between the brewers of Samuel Adams and Bavarian State Brewery Weihenstephan"; " Pop the Cork on Infinium, a ground-breaking beer that unites European brewing heritage with American innovation. Our brewers worked for two years with the world's oldest brewery, Germany's Weihenstephan, to create a unique new beer style. They explored innovative brewing techniques but always remained true to the Reinheitsgebot, a revered 1516 German beer purity law. Using only the four classic ingredients: malt, hops, water and yeast, Infinium is a crisp Champagne-like beer with fine bubbles and a fruity, spicy aroma. Its light malt character is balanced by the Noble hops that impart a soft citrus and floral flavor. We recommend serving the beer at a temperature of 40-42 F and enjoying it before July 2012. Cheers, [undersigned] Jim Koch".

The cork popped with a nice sound and I poured into a couple of champagne flutes. The eggnog-colored head was big and fluffy and quickly took up over half of the glass. The nose had notes of vanilla and nutmeg. Color was a deep-amber with NE-quality clarity and lots of CO2 bubbles. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was caramel candy-like initially, giving 'way to a soft grassy bitterness. Finish was continued with that same sweetness and you can guess where this is going for this self-avowed hophead. It was just too sweet for my taste and I was glad a) to have had someone with whom to share it and b) to have tried it, but it might not be compelling enough to try again, although who knows ... ?

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%

2011 vintage - best by July 1012 according to the tag.

Poured into a flute glass:

Pours with a large foamy head that becomes bubbly. Body is an orange-tinted yellow with small bubbles. Trailing lace sticks.

The smell is alcoholic and medicinal with some citrus and floral notes and bready yeast.

The taste is of honey-ish sweetness that stays just ahead of a stale-ish yeastiness. Some nice floral and citric notes are there but struggle to stay in. The alcohol is slightly harsh. Finishes with a touch of sweetness and drying booze. Aftertaste is brief.

The feel is bubbly - somewhat champagne-like.

This is rather bland overall with prominent alcohol. A potentially nice floral and citrus presence is all but lost in the yeast and alcohol. I don't think it really is a $25 a bottle brew.

4.02/5  rDev +21.5%

Popped the cork on this and shared with my wife after we signed our lives away on our new home.
I had a bitch of a time getting the cork out, and when I finally did pieces of it were still attached to the glass in the neck like they were super glued there. I can't imagine how hard this will be to pull out if someone lays one of these down.
Pours a crystal clear deep copper color with a massive pillowy white head that slowly dissipates but leaves massive lacing on the way down. Killer aroma of toffee, taffy, tropical fruits, and a touch of herbal from the hops. The aroma reminds me a lot of a well aged barleywine or very fruity saison. Taste is tropical fruity mixed with toffee. Bits of herbal hops cut through some of the sweetness as does a touch of alcohol. The overall taste is sweeter than I thought it was going to be, the semi sweet finish leaves a lingering fruity sweetness after every sip. Medium body, Medium high level of carbonation pricks the tongue a bit with every sip.
I really enjoyed this one its a very tasty beverage. Its not what I expected it was going to be, I thought it was going to be champagne like dry, but I was pleasantly surprised. If this wasn't 20 dollars a bottle I would sock some away for a rainy beer day, but since it is I will just have to say I'm glad I got to try it.

3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

After all the posted disappointment, I was hesitant to pay $20 for this, but I found some at Lowes Foods amongst some discount wine for $9 so decided it was time to try it.

Pours a copper straw color with tons of head that fades to a thin lacing. There's a huge amount of carbonation coming to the top. Smells like champagne yeast and distinct champagne-like alcohol ester. Taste is sweet and warm; a little boozy but I guess that fits in nicely for the style. As the beer warms I begin to detect a hint of sour apples and grapes. Mouthfeel is very dry. Bubbles actually explode on the palate, and the carbonation remains in tact even through the swallow.

As this beer warms and you get to the end of the 750 mL bottle, the carbonation fades and the tastes change, and the beer begins to lose it's champagne-style characteristics.

This wasn't all that bad. I definitely don't look for champagne-like qualities in my beer, and I probably wouldn't venture into this style often. I am glad I tried it though.

4.23/5  rDev +27.8%

Poured from the bottle into a champagne flute, vintage 2011.

Off the pop some good launch, no suds or gush. While pouring though, very bubbly, after settling a real light caramel off white head, some soapy but with some good retention, lots of retention. Body color is really nice. Gold amber, bronze and brown with hints of caramel like accents and possibly some faint red. Great champagne elevator carbonation as well. Looks real nice.

Nose is quite surprising. Sweet smelling malts, lots of honey, thick. Light brown sugar, somewhat clove like, but very malty and doppelbock like. Sticky toffee...

Taste is a light and crispy, but also still very thick malt texture with a light effervescent palate. Malty, honey and clove. Like the play on this of sweet but not overbearing with a noticeable malt that takes away much of the sweetness. Not very prickly feeling or too dry. Maybe even some tangerine like orange on this as well.

Overall though I have to admit this is really different from the other beer champagne type beers I have had. It's this sens of a bubbly light doppelbock that gets stuck in my head it seems. It's very unique, it's own animal. Hardly any noticeable boozyness at all. Actually pretty darn good.

3.48/5  rDev +5.1%

I split a bottle of this with the other Matt on New Years Eve because Sam Adams told me I had to and there was no chance I was going to kiss him. Poured into various tulips.

Beer is dark yellow with a slight haze, big head of medium and large bubbles that doesn't bother to stick around. Carbonation is moderate to high with bubbles forming at every nucleation point on the glass and rising through the beer quickly to see if the head was still there, as stated earlier, he bailed.

Aroma is slightly vegetal to me with some odd breadiness to it. Perhaps some cloves or mild spiciness to it...some pilsen sweetness as well.

I know my score is going to end up higher than the standard on this beer and I'm not sure why. I did not like this beer as much as I had hoped, but I also did not like Deus as much as I hoped either. A lot of the things I didn't like about Deus were also present in this beer so this may be a style that I can easily avoid in the future...but I didn't think it was terrible. Definitely not a repeat but definitely not a drain pour. Beer was mildly sweet with a pretty strong / odd yeastiness to it in the midpalate and a harsher dry / bitter finish on the end that lended itself to an unpleasant aftertaste. Really not my bag.

2.98/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 2010, 750 ml bottle into a flute glass.

A: Crystal clear, soft light copper, steady stream of carbonation bubbles. Soapy white billowing head that took some time to settle, but did so into a weak cap with no lacing.

S: Dry and champagne-esque. Malty qualities, bready, grainy and stale biscuits. The hops are hopelessly lost here and this definitely resembles more of a dry wine or champagne than a beer. Some sweet passion fruit and orange at the end of the nose.

T: The malt qualities dominate the palate, and once again the hops are gone. Dry and piercing, biscuits again with some grassy notes and a distinct Pinot Grigio finish.

M: Thin and light bodied, though the carbonation deceives the palate into thinking this has more body than in reality.

The high ABV and overall dryness of the beer is good, but nothing you'd want to stick with for long. This is good to share as a celebration drink, not your go-to, obviously. I'm glad I was able to grab two bottles of this, but in all honesty, I wouldn't buy it again. I applaud the two breweries for the collaboration and I'm happy I got to try this. It's definitely worth a shot since this is a once-and-done beer (we think).

3.16/5  rDev -4.5%

The beer pours a nice gold color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a mellow alcohol feel with a good deal of malty sweetness; not dry at all, almost syrupy. The taste is average as well. It's rich and sweet with a ton of malty character and a rough alcohol finish. There is a considerable amount of booziness here. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a different drinking experience for me. I'm new to the style, but I'm guessing this isn't the best example. I'm still grateful to have tried it though. Thanks almychristopher.

2.51/5  rDev -24.2%

Wow, what a let down celebrating new year. I didn't expect a great beer, but at least something drinkable. Thankfully I had other beers for back up duty.
Pours a faded golden color with a massive, big, fluffy white head. Has promise to be crisp or carbonated, just what I was looking for.

Aroma is faded a bit it seems. Dried apricot, white grapes, sweetened caramel and some green grass.

Uh, taste falls flat on its face. Super sweet caramel, musky grass, stale or severely overripe pear. Blah.

No carbonation whatsoever belying the foam from the pour. Flat and slick. Boozy. Nobody liked it...poured half the bottle out--kept the bottle.

4.29/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/2 inch head of a white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of yeast, sweet malt, slight pale malt, slight hop, hint of citrus, and a hint of spice. Fits the style of a Biere de Champagne / Biere Brut. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong yeast, alcohol, sweet malt, slight hops, slight pale malt, hint of citrus, and a hint of spice. Overall, great aroma, blend, body, and complexity.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: pours a yellowish orange color with a 1/4" head that falls quickly to a thick surface foam.

Smell: green grapes, golden apples, alcohol, and a bit of a wine like quality to it.

Taste: very fruity as green grapes, apples, pear, and pineapple are upfront. Alcohol is very noticeable here. Bitterness is moderate.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp throughout with a dry finish.

Overall: definitely a unique beer that leans a bit towards the wine-like side. Very slow drinking, you need to share the bottle with a few friends.

3.11/5  rDev -6%

The beer pours a clear golden color with a white head. The aroma is very sugary, along with a little bit of butter, wheat and citrus notes. Not sure why, but the aroma reminds me quite a bit of circus peanuts. The flavor is wheat, grain, bubblegum, more circus peanuts, alcohol and some citrus - lemons and oranges. The flavor is very sugary and boozy, so maybe this would benefit from some aging. Medium mouthfeel and a very high, prickly carbonation.

The beer is not bad, but for the $20 price tag and all of the hype surrounding it, I was very disappointed. Overall, the beer is a boozy, sweet mess with a lot of different flavors and aromas that don't meld well together. I expected more from two world-class breweries. Glad I got to try it, but at an extremely high price point, I will not try it again.

3.86/5  rDev +16.6%

At long last, did alot to get this and now is the time to try, split with a good friend.

Appearance: Into a Deus flute. Pours with a vigorous rush of carbonation and foam. Light straw and perfectly clear with a nice frothy head and patches of lace. Constant carbonation rising to the top.

Smell: Fruiter, some pear. Apple and white grape.

Taste: A lot of up front carbonation followed by white grape notes. Sweet and vaguely cider-like. Almost like a sparkling wine/super clean tripel. Certainly on the sweeter side, hop profile is minimal.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy carbonation. At the end some chalky yeast gives a semi dry finish.

Drinkability: A nice treat, but something for rare occassions and toasts. Couldn't drink it all day but half the bottle was no challange. I did find it a bit sweet and more hops could have been used.

3.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Unless you love foam, the first pour requires the patience of a saint. With Champagne, the tinier and more agile the better and this Champagne-esque beer has almost microscopic bubbles that swarm like angry wasps at a massive, pearl white head suitable is to take a nap on. Apparently the packaging was not just an easy 'ka-ching' - the contents are impressive too.

The bouquet smells like a blend of sparkling wine and Orval which, in my mind, is the proverbial "champagne" of beers due to its distinction and high esteem. A portion of it also contains the slightly tart, musty, almost cheesy note of 'barnyard funk' found in French and Belgian saisons as well as newer, so called 'American Wild Ales'. Either way: yeast steals the show. And it only grows more confident with warmth.

The underlying acidity in the aroma also accents the taste, which might be a minor disappointment to anyone hoping for overtly malt- or hop-derived flavours. Instead, the yeast is in the driver's seat and veers us towards overripe orchard fruit, dried spices and the aforementioned citrusy acidity. Malts, however, aren't entirely forgotten as honey-coated oats, dried hay and cereal grains march their way onto the palate too.

One major difference between this and Champagne is the amount of froth you have to make your way through for any liquid to touch your lips. This aspect I don't like. Otherwise, however, the malts are thin and sugary, the carbonation brisk and bubbly and the aftertaste residually dry and fruity. One glass easily lends itself to the next. Good thing for the 750ml bottle which, by the way, is a perfect candidate for social get-togethers.

Considering I regard Orval as perhaps the greatest beer ever made by man, and considering Infinium at least superficially resembles it, it'd be contradictory for me to review this any lower than I have. Also, I thought this an impressively avant-garde offering considering it's a tandem offering from the world's oldest brewery and America's most mainstream micro. All things considered it's a fair exchange for $15, at least this one time.

3.93/5  rDev +18.7%

Strong champagne like pop when the cork is removed.

Clear copper colored beer with a tall white colored head.

Smell of vanilla and wine when uncorked. Very fruity aroma peach, raspberry and banana. Over ripe banana and vanilla with some caramel, makes me think Banana Brûlée.

Starts out sweet and spicy with an apple and banana aftertaste. Lots of banana flavor here with caramel, something like the dessert Bananas Foster.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability will depend on your like of banana, I personally like it but not $20 a Bottle Like.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

A: Pours clear golden with lots of small bubbles, just like in a champagne. The enormous white head is thick and creamy. Dissipates slowly into decent lacings.

S: An acidic smell at first, then there's green apples. The malt is dry. A citric note lingers in the back. Yeast and pepper.

T: Sweet malt, bready and doughy. Spices (pepper and a hint of cinnamon) and yeast. Pears and green apples. A bit sour.

M: Light body and richly carbonated, but very smooth. Aftertaste stays for a while and holds a sour bitterness.

O: This was quite an interesting experience; a nice beer that is highly drinkable. I really enjoyed it.

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Appears a transparent light gold with a small white cap that slowly fades into a gentle film and collar. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of wheat,doughy yeast, lemon, citrus, turbinado sugar, dried apricot, vanilla, and honey. Perhaps a touch of bubble gum, as well.
A sweet honey flavor with notes of vanilla and golden raisins are the most dominant of all flavors coming through.
Mouthfeel is boozy, sticky sweet, and medium bodied. It reminds me of a mead fermented with champagne yeast. Not bad but not the $24 I dropped with huge hopes.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours an off-white, one-finger bubbly head that fades to a ring leaving no lace. Crystal clear amber color. Very strong carbonation, the strongest I've seen and medium bodied. Sweet fruity nose, but flavor is light caramel, with nutmeg and allspice. Seriously expensive at $20.00 for a caged and corked 750ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me. My 50th bottle from Boston Beer.

1.18/5  rDev -64.4%

Served to me blind by @LaitueGonflable.

Clear, rather pinkish golden colour, with a fine but insubstantial
head of white bubbles. Body is extremely light and weak, meaning the head has no chance to form any lacing. Looks a bit lacklustre.

Nose is insane, and rather unpleasant, to be honest. Big biscuity
malt, with funky sweetness and crushed toffee praline. It's all
overlaid with a slightly odd generic yeasty hop character. Savoury characters come through as well, with ketchup and baked beans. It's robust, but genuinely unpleasant.

Taste is similar, although the sweetness is even more prominent here. Big vegetative sweet characters, like tomato juice mixed with sugar, or toffeed baked beans, and a rigid, unyielding carbonation which forces this home. Truly quite unpleasant. Each mouthfeel has the potential to make me dry retch.

Really quite a horrible beer. And yet, I can sort of see this weird
perversity to it that makes me feel like I should like and/or respect it. There is no way in hell I want to drink this again, but I might be okay with someone serving it to me blind again some time in the future.

(Notes after I found out what it was:

Holy crap, I really had some expectations for this, but this is genuinely unpleasant. It really does not live up to expectations, and is closer to malt liquor than to a brew between two high-flying breweries like this.)

3.79/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From the 2 year old 750 ml. bottle. sampled on January 20, 2013.

It pours orange-copper, slightly cloudy, with a decent, long-lasting off-white head.

The aroma is of orange and other citrus notes with notes of yeast, Belgian sugar, pale malts, and light spices.

The body is medium.

The taste has the Belgian malts and mellow sweetness of a Dubbel at first but ends with the tartness of a Belgian Tripel.

I found this on a convenience store shelf for $5.99 and the aging improved it.

4.06/5  rDev +22.7%

Stumbled across a bottle of this at Julio's when it first came out and immediately pulled the trigger. Saved it for a while and figured to crack it in honor of the NHL playoffs with friends. Poured into flutes.

A - Holy cow, this is so close to what it claims to be. A wonderful golden pour with a massive over 3 finger head. Head fades much more slowly than champagne. Stuff is really spectacular for a beer, especially when you consider the ABV.

S - Sweet malts and fruits, namely apples and pears. Has a dry aroma too. Dancing in the middle between styles.

T - Nice funky fruit notes. The apples are back, along with some bready yeast qualities, but not much. The strong ABV is present at the very end.

M - This has the carbonation one expects from the style, nice and high yet oh so light.

O - I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Its super tasty and quite different. Really is a whole new style here and I personally find it quite enjoyable. Would definately buy this again inplace of champagne.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)