Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

InfiniumInfinium
Liked This Beer
3.24 w/ 1,132 ratings
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Ratings: 1,132 |  Reviews: 516
2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

750mL bottle served into a tulip

Pours a crystal-clear amber color. I almost expect to find a fly in it, ala Jurassic Park. Two fingers plus or soft, soapy off-white head. Lacing is pretty meh, actually, despite the amount of foam. Still, that abundantly translucent body is nice to look at.

Weird nose. I'm not sure that it's good, but it is interesting. Lots of phenolic astringency up front, like rubbing alcohol. Past that, I pick up some pear skin and a little bit of white grape. As the beer warms, I get some apple-like flavors. Some sniffs it reminds me of apple juice, others it reminds me of the tiny dehydrated apple chunks that you find in apple-cinnamon flavor Quaker oatmeal. There's a also strong, sour-mash malt flavor going on with warmth that I don't find particularly appealing. Having no experience with the style, I have to hazard a guess that this is only very slightly above average, if even that. It has some complexity, even if I don't much care for it. I'm going back to type that some of the complexity gets washed out as the beer warms. The malts take over some of the pleasant white grape.

I'll tell you right up front that I don't really like the taste of this beer. It has a malt component that reminds me of Colt 45, of straight-up malt liquor. It's pungent booze-and-apples. Take some malt liquor and toss in some noble hops and ferment it in such a way so as to get some band-aid phenols going, and you have this beer. This is too boozy for my enjoyment. And not really complex or unique, despite the price point. It's blunt fruit and alcohol heat. Whoopee.

Not as prickly with carbonation as I expected a methode champnoise made beer to be. It's pretty thick, actually, which befits the malt flavors, I suppose. It reminds me of the mouthfeel in Dr. Pepper -- it thickens up and becomes very sudsy in the mouth. This isn't a drinkable beer by any standard, really. You taste and feel every bit of its 10.3% ABV, it is blunt and unsatisfactory to my palate. And if you want to factor in price, well, this beer becomes a hideous affront to value.

It was worth trying this, I suppose. But I would not recommend that people trade for this, or even buy it unless you're splitting it with someone (as I am with FernMaster right now). Count this my first beer disappointment of 2011.

Nose is floral and fruity with bubblegum-like esters and a soft sourness. Smells good.

Pours clear amber with large head. Looks good.

Very dry with spicy carbonation. Solid malty base with a good bit of malty sweetness. Estery fruity. Softly herbal. Moderate bitterness reminiscent of orange pith. Tastes good. Feels good. Good drinkability.

Overall an enjoyable beverage experience. Now that I've experienced it, I won't need to again.

Thanks Heatwave33!

2011 bottle.

Pour is light orange with huge head. Massively carbonated, but Id expect that.

Smell is different for sure. I get some citrus fruits. Loads and wheat and corn, and some white whine. Strong pineapple chunk smell.

The big thing I notice is how dry it is. It reminds of Tweason'ale with its dryness. Very dry up front, with some yeast coming out very, very quickly. I get the crisp wheat as well, along with airy corn. Sweet caramel notes come real late. The more I drink, the more I get the fruity esters from the yeast as well as some sweeter caramel early.

Theres so much going on; I think its just too damn busy for me. Itd be interesting to replace Champagne with this.

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks dragomni!

A champagne beer? Interesting. I like champagne, and I like beer. Don't like this so much. Very bland and underwhelming. I struggled to really smell anything, and the taste wasn't much different. Dirty fruit, but very subtle dirty fruit.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

review taken from notes.

served from a corked champagne bottle into a glass. sampled on 12/31/11 (my birthday!)

a: pours a cloudy, dark yellow color with a very fizzy head that stays.

s: pretty interesting smells of spiciness and subdued malt flavor. nothing very crazy or ground breaking yet still pleasant.

t: pretty funky flavor. yeast character is fairly strong and adds a distinct spice character to the brew. also has a fairly strong acidic, vinegary type flavor. not too oppressive but not what i was expecting.

m: very nice, bubbly mouthfeel.

i absolutely adore both weihenstepan and sam adams, but i think my massive expectations got the best of me. i really wish i enjoyed this more than i had, but this just isn't that memorable of a beer.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

3.91/5  rDev +20.7%

Sam Adams Infinium. People like to take shots at Sam Adams, since they are the big fish, but I thought this beer was decent enough... although it didn't deserve all it's hype.

A: Orange colour and and excellent white head. Very, very carbonated 4.5

S: The smell is quite hoppy with some yeastiness. 3.5

F: The flavour is sour with some bitterness and hoppiness. Fresh champagne-like finish. 4

M: The mouthfeel is foamy and aggressively carbonated. 4

O: Very drinkable. 4

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%

Judging by the number of reviews posted for Infinium over the last 24 hours (~40 or so), I think I can safely say that I am not the only BA who thought of popping the cork on this beer for New Year's Eve. I actually didn't pop the cork. In fact I could barely get it out. After many tries and ultimately resorting to a corkscrew I managed to break the cork in two. More trouble ensued when I tried to extract the bottom half of the cork. I did manage to get most of it out and chip the rim of the bottle in process. I have never had so much trouble with a cork of any kind.

The beer that finally poured from the bottle was a dark yellow color with a big cap of white foam. Quite effervescent, similar to champagne. Tart apple and pear rise from the aroma. The body is heavier than expected, but still bubbly. The flavors center on fruity sweetness. There is some graininess and a dash of spice and pepper from the alcohol. Drinkable considering the ABV. Unique.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

3.94/5  rDev +21.6%

A - This pours a beautiful transparent golden color. It has a big white fluffy champagne head, that overflowed from the glass and went all over my counter top. The head also left little bits of scattered lacing as it fizzed down to a small ring at the edge of the glass. There are also a lot of carbonation bubbles present.

S - The smell is sweet and yeasty. There are doughy, and bread notes, as well as some earthiness. I am so getting some golden fruits and just a touch of hops.

T - It tastes of bready malts and belgian yeast. There is also a nice bit of light golden fruits present. It is sweet, but there is also a nice spiciness to it. I am getting a small hint of the alcohol presence as well.

M - This has a nice medium body and high carbonation. The carbonation tickles the tongue and mouth. It is creamy and goes down smooth. There is also a slight alcohol warming sensation.

D - The drinkability is good. A lot of people have been a little too harsh on this beer in my opinion. I think it is a very interesting beer. I have never tried this style before, and it is certainly different than anything I have ever had. I think this is a great drink for a beer drinker who is at an occasion that normally calls for champagne. Other than a lot of people, I am glad I spent the $19 for a new experience. Good beer for special celebrations.

3.79/5  rDev +17%

A: Goldenrod with a thick, foamy head and a massive stream of champagne-like bubbles. Heavy lacing.

S: Not much - light wheat and lemon.

T: Wheat and mixed spices balanced against a mild noble hop character. Light fusel alcohol.

M: Quite dry. Medium-bodied with appropriately heavy carbonation.

D: Overall, not outstanding, but quite interesting and enjoyable.

3.4/5  rDev +4.9%

A chilled bottle of the 2011 edition, poured into a Champagne flute.

The beer has the color of tarnished gold and is translucent. Many streams of tiny bubbles rise up from the bottom of the glass, much like sparkling wine. A head of off white bubbles rests on top. Very little lacing is left behind. Swirling the glass produces a good amount of film and foam, but it all slides back down into the body of the beer.

It seems to me that this glassware doesn't really focus the aroma very well, as there isn't much to smell here. I can pick up some earthy hops and yeast, but that's about it.

This beer has an interesting malt flavor...it's maltier than I expected, but I thought it may taste like Champagne, so what do I know? The malts are slightly biscuity, but evoke images of darker breads than the typical white biscuit. Some alcohol is tasted in the finish and after I swallow. There is an interesting spice that I can taste, but since this beer adheres to the German Purity Law, the flavor must be a by-product of the malt or yeast; no matter, I still like the spice, even if I can't put my finger on exactly what it tastes like.

The body is a little heavier than I expected, but the carbonation is spot on: very high. In fact, if I let the beer rest in my mouth before swallowing, it feels like all the liquid turns into bubbles. It isn't a pleasant experience. My lips are left slightly sticky, but there isn't much sticking in my mouth. Plenty of malty flavor is left behind though.

I find this to be an interesting beer. It's unlike other beers I've had, and it's certainly not a sparkling wine. Perhaps there is some justification to the claim that they created a new style of beer when they brewed Inifinium. Anyway, I'm glad I've tried this, but I wouldn't purchase an entire bottle for myself. If you are headed to a party with a bunch of beer drinkers, bringing a bottle to share would be a good idea.

3.11/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a champagne glass.

Fluffy white head sits on top of a clear effervescent golden body.

Nose of tart green apples, biscuity malts, honey and caramel. And a kinda strange yeasty note.

Taste of biscuits, toast, caramel, a strange sweetness I find hard to put into words. Some apple cider. It's not great. There are some weird flavors that I find hard to describe and am not particularly fond of.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with loads of effervescent tiny bubbles.

Pretty disappointing.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

Poured a massive all head, custard colored. Held pretty good but when it did deflate it did so quickly. Slightly hazed and deep golden in color. Smell is nice with yeast, caramel, dried fruits and fig. Taste follows smell with an emphasis on the caramel and a citrus tang in the aftertaste. Mild but fairly long finish with a faint burn from the alcohol. And though this tops 10% alcohol I think it's fairly well hidden, the alcohol doesn't slap you in the face right away. All-in-all this is quite a nice beer, a treat, though whether it's the champagne of beer is debatable, as well as whether it deserves the over $20 price tag.

3.16/5  rDev -2.5%

Bought this magnum of beer at the Boston Brewery on opening day. Kept upright for several months. Chilled and drank out of a champagne flute.

A-light amber with a violet hue, light white head.

S-tart apples, yeasty, dough

T-apples, fruit stone, some grain

M-light and highly carbonated.

D-Unique. Not my style. Never really got the feeling I was having a beer. I might pass on this next time.

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%

I had the chance to try this beer as Sam Adams were filming some of the promotional items for this (IE the commercials). Poured in to a Sam Adams snifter, the color is clear orange, with a good amount of foamy white head. The scores of air bubbles in this beer suggest that it is high in carbonation. From the nose I pick up some soft peach and pear notes, mango, baked bread, and a hint of spice. Flavor is dry, yet sweet, with many of the same traits found in the smell, but not nearly as accentuated or clear. As another reviewer stated, it does have a hint of Boston Lager to it (a byproduct of the yeast I am assuming). I also get a minor hint of funk. Like champagne, the mouthfeel is well carbonated, scrubbing the palate well, and medium in body. The alcohol is well hidden, which is a plus given its overall strength. I am not sure where Sam Adams/Weihenstephaner got the idea that this is a new style of beer, as there are others out there (not many, but still). I don't think I would throw down another twenty for a bottle, but it is worth trying given that there are so few examples of this style around. Cheers to this collaborative ale.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

A: Pale gold and very effervescent having a large, rocky off-white head with a moderate retention time. The overall appearance is that of a champagne.

S: Yeast and hops on the first sniff with the yeast quickly dissipating. The moderate Noble hops aroma dominates having floral and citrus notes. The moderately-light malt aroma is toasty and biscuity.

T: This is dry having a medium bitterness with a touch of sour. There is a moderate lemony hops flavor with a light florar note. A touch of sweetness chows itself mid-palate but is quickly overtaken by a dry bitter finish. There is some fermentation derived fruitiness that like a light peach and very light apricot.

O: This is a lot more appealing to those seeking a beer alternative to champagne with a solid bitterness and a dry refreshing finish that works well on its own or paired with dessert, fish or a light salad.

Note: Nothing like the one I had last year where the residual sweetness was just short of cloying. I'm not sure f the bottle was infected, if it is it's in a good way, but I don't care because dry is good and sour is great in my book.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

4.12/5  rDev +27.2%

Served in a wine glass

This beer pours a deep copper color with a decent fizz that settles down to just a thin layer that stays on the top throughout the drinking experience. The smell is of white grapes, caramel, honey and a bit of oak sour. It combines in a rather nice way that creates a sweet melange on the nostrils. The taste is fruity with some pear and orange. Caramel sugars are rather obvious on the palate as well. It's got the right amount of fizz, but I think the body is still a bit on the heavier side. This is still a really good drinking beer, and will be perfect for beer lovers on New Year's.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 27.9% out of 100 with 1,132 ratings