Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Reviews: 514 | Ratings: 1,128
3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

I had this as a Christmas beer with some family members.

A: It was a golden yellow color, very much like a good champagne. Lots of foam that dissipated quickly, still bubbly after a few minutes in the glass

S: It was a fruitly/banana like smell, which was a tad off from what I was expecting based upon Sam Adam's description of it being a champagne like beer.

T: Reminded me of a hefe, not much else jumped out at me and wow'ed me.

M: It left a light and clean after-taste in my mouth.

D: It was a decent to good beer, but not worth the 20 per bottle. I have two more that I am going to age and see if it improves

3.76/5  rDev +13.6%

I bought a bottle in Berlin brewed by Weihestephaner. I did get two champagne-like glasses with it.

The beer pours a golden body with clear white head that quickly disolves. It smells very beery with strong emphasis on malt notes.

However, once you take you first sip you will experience something completely different.
I tasted some pleasent sourness up front together with fruit aromas (maybe some apple?). The finish brings out a clean, dry and straight forward malt character. Given the high amount of alcohol (10%) you do not taste any of it, which is pleasent.

Do not expect it to taste like your everyday beer or to be full of crazy hop aromas. This beer tastes very much like a good sparkling wine.
Interstingly all of this achieved while still following the strict rules of the Reinheitsgebot (only water, malt, hops and yeast allowed as ingridients). It is good to see how these boundaries can be pushed to the limit.

Would I recommend it? Certainly to someone who likes champange or is open-minded enough for something completely unique in the beer world. It is not for people who love imperialized beer and big brews.

3.2/5  rDev -3.3%

i wasnt sure what to expect. But for the price, i expected more. Definatly bubbly, but not champagne like. Malty, alcohol aromas, notes of earthy herbal hops. The taste is very sweet with the alcohol coming through in the end. I think of pears while drinking this.

2.83/5  rDev -14.5%

Appearance - The light toasted hazelnut colored liquid contains a lava lamp appearance from the bubbles underneath a thick cream puff crown. As the head dissipates, a solid foam wall clings to the side of the glass instead of your typical lacing.

Smell - Appley sweet but with the alcohol scent present. Some spice in there as well. Almost like a spicy, caramel coated fruit.

Taste - Starts very dry into a very subtle level of light hop bitterness (very faint) before the white wine-esque middle comes roaring in. There is a slight tartness intermixed with the malty sweetness which is playing with the alcohol notes. With the smell, this is coming off a little boozy.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation lightens up what could be an overly thick beer otherwise.

Drinkability - Between the nose, viscous character and malty sweetness; this feels a tad much. Even for a sipper, I am not really reaching for the next sip more so than I don't want to waste the rather pricey liquid.

Interesting for sure in that it isn't quite what I expected but it isn't' what I necessarily want either. Glad I tried it once.

3.8/5  rDev +14.8%

This was a great way to start the new year!!!

A: poured into a tulip. A champagne hue with an excellent head, leaving a sweet lace the whole way down the tulip.

S: sweet.

T: light malts and yeast. Hint of alcohol...

M: Loud!!! Very carbonated, reminiscent of a Brut

D: Easy to drink. Excellent collaboration.

3.79/5  rDev +14.5%

Was very excited to give this one a try as a friend busted it out late last night.

It wasn't what I was expecting but I could appreciate it for what it was. There is definately a lot to drink here and it is sweeter than I prefer. I believe this would be best shared w/ dinner or at least allowed to age longer than we let it (bottled in 2010)
Lots of fruit flavors could be tasted and smelled. The alcohol is in the smell and can certainly be tasted (it isn't hiding at all)

I will buy again and age it a little longer and share it with friends over dinner as to late night after already sampling some IPA's

1.95/5  rDev -41.1%

I was very excited to find a bottle of this. I heard some good reviews so I was greatly looking forward to drinking it. It was $39.99 so I was thinking it must be good. It was a 2011 bottle, todays date is 7-13-12.

It was very pretty when pouring, Kinda cloudy golden.

The smell was appealing, a little fruity tartness.

The taste was terrible, A sour punch right off the bat. Then the after taste is too pungent, like after you smoke a terrible cigar.

mouthfeel is actually good if you can get past the taste. easily drinkable. not a strong alcohol taste at all.

overall a terrible beer, would never recommend for enjoyment. I could of bought a 12 pack of Hopslam dammit.

3.09/5  rDev -6.6%

a- hazy dark color with a strong head with strong head retention and lacing

s- some fruity notes with a sweet malty undertone

t- pretty good- initially sweet but it has some fruity undertones, and as other reviewers have said it does develop hop notes as it warms, aftertaste reminds me of some Belgian beers I have had recently

m- fairly light with strong carbonation

d- the 10.3% was not evident and all around it was just a pretty decent beer that is simply overpriced (something that didn't bother me because a friend gave me half of his)

3.65/5  rDev +10.3%

Definitely surprised me.

A: Served in a thin pilsner glass the appearance is what it should be, light and bubbly!

S: Fruit notes hit the nost right away.

T: Begin 10.3% you can definitely notice the alcohol but it is soon overcome by the intense carbonation and fruity notes.

M: Strong, crisp and clean.

D: One bottle will get you going, it's a good beer to lay back with.

2.96/5  rDev -10.6%

WHen opening this brilliantly designed bottle, I was very excited. Was expecting something similar to a belgian in some respects. What I got was something less than I expected.

Look: It poured into a small fluted beer glass looking light golden and slightly bubbly. The head was fluffy and creamy.

Smell: grass, hay, barn-yard notes, a bit yeasty.

Taste: Sour, vinegary, tart, and earthy. the sour vinegar carried over from the smell, and was the overpowering flavor.
Mouthfeel was bubbly and sharp.

After: As the beer settled down, it left me feeling like I did not want another infinium, so it was not what I call highly drinkable. The qualities this shared with champagne were mostly in mouthfeel, but it came off more like a Berliner Weisse.

2.06/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Wow. I really wanted to like this beer.

A - really looked great. Made me want to drink it. Pale orange/amber with a lingering head. Very fine bubbles.

S - I literally winced. Some sort of rotting apricots mixed with cheese or bread or.... Not sure.

T - not good. Sorry. I hate even writing this. It tastes like some sort of weird blend of off apricots, Belgian triple and salt (yes salt).

M - admittedly hard to judge given the taste. That said, a little heavy, despite the finer bubbles which were the best part.

O- I enjoy and appreciate beer. I believe I have had nearly everything and I respect the different styles. I have to say that I had infinium 2 years ago and it was much better. Not world class, but much better. Back then I was thinking "Wow, this beer has potential". Sorry to say I may have tasted it at its best back then.

2.31/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured from that big old bottle it comes in into a glass. Anything less would be uncivilized, and also unwieldy. That's a heavy bottle.

The beer looked just fine as it settled in the glass. A slightly hazy yellow/honey color. Looked inviting enough.

Had a very fruity nose. Reminded me of apples, and of other beers of a similar style. Less inviting to me. Personal preferences and all that.

Not too happy with the taste. Again, I got a heavy apple taste, with sour hints. Considering this is brewed with champagne yeasts, I don't feel weird using 'dry' to describe it.

It drinks like a heavy champagne for obvious reasons, with a very crisp feel at the beginning and end.

Drinkability is low. I certainly wouldn't want too much of this one.

All in all, not one of the better I've had from Sam.

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

This pours a clear goldish color with lots of carbonation and a white head. Lots of champagne-like bubbles.
Not a huge aroma but smells of light malt with some fruitiness.
Tastes a bit sweet with what i assume is supposed to be champagne yeast. Almost like tart apples. Some hop presence.
Very crisp and very carbonated just like champagne.

Overall an enjoyable experience. Beer and champagne in one bottle. A very good effort but at $20 a bottle its difficult to buy more.

3.53/5  rDev +6.6%

I tried this what they want to call a beer a couple of times. The first time I tried it there was a bad cork taste to it or something happened to the taste that it just wasn't right. I went back to the store and tried another bottle and this didn't the bad taste to it but it didn't live up to all the hype. It was a decent drinkable beer but nothing outstanding and not worth the $20 for a 750ml. It was probably one of the lightest Sam Adams beers that I've tried.

3.09/5  rDev -6.6%

Got this as a gift for a friend (luckily he shared it with me!) otherwise, I don't I would buy this for myself.

Pours a golden straw color, with a white head at first, but soon dissipating. Lots of bubbles, but to be expected. Has a light pilsner malt, with a slightly hoppy aroma. Tastes like malty syrup (almost similar to wort), but not as sweet as some people has remarked. The hops are mild both in bitterness and aroma flavor. I was surprised that it was 10.3%! Almost nothing on the nose or tongue.

This beer was decent. but at that price-point I guess I was expecting something magical.

I would not buy this again.

4.23/5  rDev +27.8%

Just as we were finishing dinner with both sets of parents on New Years Day dinner I brought out this interesting bottle that everyone thinks is champagne, of course it is not. After a long battle with the cork, it took forever to get this out!!!

A: Pours a golden hue with a big frothy head just like champagne and also is bubbly like champagne. We all are very excited to try it but don't want to rush this experience. Looks amazing.

S: Sweet and tartness is what I am getting here with a light fruitiness. Even though there is such a high alcohol content here, 10.3 I think, you can not smell the alcohol.

T: Well, I got a very sweet and fruity taste and really enjoyed this. No lingering aftertaste and was very surprised how well this tasted, in fact wish this was our New Year's Eve bottle instead of the champagne we had.

M: Dry finish with a very light carbonation feel in the mouth. This is not your every day beer.

D: For the price, it is better than the champagnes out there at this level and a great taste. I would not want more than the two glasses that I did have, but can't wait to open my 2nd bottle!!! Great drink with a higher ABV and impressed with only using 4 main ingredients to get this taste.

I have read some of the reviews, you have to remember as Sam Adams stated, this is a beer to toast with and not a session beer.

4.16/5  rDev +25.7%

I really enjoy this beer and usually try to snatch a few up whenever my distributor gets a case.

A -The appearance of this beer is beautiful. Extremely clear "school bus" yellow color. If it is not poured very slowly a huge head can form, and even with proper pouring a substantial head exists and a full head is generally always present. There is a ton of bubbles streaming to the top of the glass. I like to drink it in a champagne glass, it is a very pretty beer when served like this.

S - The smell is not everwhelming. Mostly fuity notes and not much obvious hop aroma.

T - I really enjoy the taste of this beer. It is a very crisp, dry fruity experience, much like true champagne. It is not overly boozy and it is hard to detect the 10.3% abv.

M - The beer is very airy in your mouth and you can tell theres quite a bit of carbonation.

D - This beer is highly drinkable. The alcohol is well hidden and overall this is a terrific beer. I really enjoy popping one open and enjoying it over an hour or so.

I really enjoy this beer and if you are lucky enough to see a bottle of Infinium at your distributor, you should buy it. I think every beer connoisseur should try this beer if they get the opportunity, as it is really special and original. However, it does have the $20 price tag. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you can spend the money but because of this price tag, it may not be for everyone.

3.93/5  rDev +18.7%

This is probably one of the coolest looking beer i have ever seen.
With a smell of sour grapes, feel of malted barley, with a slight aroma of hops, neither sweet nor bitter but balanced, smooth texture and feel, and retains a medium head on the glass.

3.43/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from bottle into pilsner glass (closest I had to a flute)

A - Beer poured with a nice golden brown with lots (3-4 fingers) of head. Head dissipated very quickly though and was virtually gone within a minute or two.

S - Huge amount of spice with fruity notes.l

T - Light up front with some sweeter fruit tastes, maybe grape or pear. Spices were killing the middle/back of my tongue. It felt overly spiced, I got the tastes of pepper, lavender and basil. I really didn't enjoy the taste on the middle/back of my tongue and adjusted the way I was drinking it to minimize it. Had a nice finish with slight alcohol and malt.

M - Definitely Champagne like, but a little heavier than I was expecting. Not as light and bubbly as I'd hoped but still very crisp and refreshing.

D - I definitely enjoyed this beer, but was expecting more Champagne and less Farmhouse. Spices were reminiscent of Saison Du BUFF's floral spices. It paired very nicely with the Crabmeat stuffed shrimp and flounder I was eating, but I don't think I would enjoy this by itself. I definitely needed food to dumb down the taste a little.

1.62/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow, what can I say, very disappointed. I feel like someone tried to carbonate maple syrup, I couldn't get past half a champagne flute. I am not sure what Sam Adams was going for here but they missed the mark. The texture of the beer is very heavy and the aroma leaves one to wonder what they were trying to achieve. In some respects it leans more toward a bad version of Utopia.

3.84/5  rDev +16%

When I pulled the cork out, a delightful smell hit me right away, but went away quickly. I thought the taste was pretty average. Sweet and Malty, which is good for me because I am not into a really bitter taste. I wasn't blown away, but this is definitely a decent beer. I would reserve this for some of my friends that are more into wine, as I can see this beer being a good crossover for them.

1.39/5  rDev -58%

Based on the short description on the packaging I was expecting something more like champagne and would have been please with anything resembling a Berliner Weisse (which is the true champagne of beers), sour or wine barrel aged concoction. Unfortunatly, what Sam Adams delivers is none of those.

A - Brown and highly carbonated.
Smell - Strange. No one smell was so strong as to stand out in my mind
T - Again strange like nothing I've ever had before. In the end I could only stand about 4 oz and poured the rest.
M - The bubbles fly once you pour this in your mouth. So if bubbles are your only criteria for champagne like then yes this is champagne like
Overall - Very disappointed. I'd rather spend $20 at taco bell.

1.98/5  rDev -40.2%

Picked this up for a Midnight toast on NYE. I was surprised when I found a bottle at the local Hannafords in Keene, NH last week.

It looked fine, very bubbly, a nice golden color. The aroma was really fruity and sweet, much more than I had anticipated. The taste was a let down to say the least. Of the four people who tried it, I was the only one who had more than one sip, and I only did because I felt like I had to after spending 20.00 on the bottle. I was expecting more of a beer taste than the really sweet, fruity champagne taste I had instead. To me the taste was all fruit and sweetness and nothing to balance against it. There was some malt aftertaste, but not enough. I ended up saving the bottle, but pouring the rest out.

This is my first review and I wanted it to be a positive one, but hopefully that will be the next one...I have a 12 pack of the Peak Organic sampler just waiting to be enjoyed!

2.4/5  rDev -27.5%

It's New Year's Eve and I"m drinking Infinium, just like Sam Adams wanted me to. :-)

I poured it into a white wine glass. It comes off a little more golden than a champagne, and looks kind of like a budweiser.

Smells a little fruity.

Tastes like Andre's champagne. Not a fan.

Overall, I"m the type of person who likes to try something new so I"m not upset that I bought it. However, I won't be buying it again.

4.16/5  rDev +25.7%

A - Beautiful tequillia sunrise. Amber and gold a real treat to the eye. Nice size white head; a bit much if poured uncontrollably.

S - Smells of pear and sweet nutmeg spice

T - Dry, yet moist - intriging. Tastes like it smells.

M - Bubbly. Makes you belch if consumed too quickly.

D - Excellent drinkability is good. A very interesting beer.

Deceptively good beer. I was not sure what to expect, and upon first sip I was not sure I liked it. I gave it a good faith effort and it really grew on me.

The color is outstanding, and the carbonation is abundant. It is a very light bodied, very drinkable beer that tastes like champagne at first, but as it mellows gives off the distinct taste of a very light ale. I would recommend it, knowing it is not for everyone. Try it just to say you did. It is worth it.

I purchased 3 bottles for $18 each in Grenta, NE, just outside of Omaha visiting my wife's relatives over the New Year.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)