Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Infinium | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
Read the review
InfiniumInfinium

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut

Added by LtCracker20 on 12-04-2010

Reviews: 514 | Ratings: 1,128
4.06/5  rDev +22.7%

Stumbled across a bottle of this at Julio's when it first came out and immediately pulled the trigger. Saved it for a while and figured to crack it in honor of the NHL playoffs with friends. Poured into flutes.

A - Holy cow, this is so close to what it claims to be. A wonderful golden pour with a massive over 3 finger head. Head fades much more slowly than champagne. Stuff is really spectacular for a beer, especially when you consider the ABV.

S - Sweet malts and fruits, namely apples and pears. Has a dry aroma too. Dancing in the middle between styles.

T - Nice funky fruit notes. The apples are back, along with some bready yeast qualities, but not much. The strong ABV is present at the very end.

M - This has the carbonation one expects from the style, nice and high yet oh so light.

O - I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Its super tasty and quite different. Really is a whole new style here and I personally find it quite enjoyable. Would definately buy this again inplace of champagne.

2.94/5  rDev -11.2%

750ml bottle

A- Corked and caged 750ml bottle poured into a champagne glass. Pours a golden amber color with an off-white head and a high amount of carbonation.

S- The aroma is sweet malts along with floral and citrusy hops.

T- The taste like the aroma is sweet up front from the malt with some citrus and yeast in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodies with a high amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, probably not something I would purchase again  considering the high price.

3.35/5  rDev +1.2%

$20 for the 750 at Poplar Wine & Spirits.

Blindingly bright gold coloured, there's a smallish head of foam that's shrinking quickly leaving spotty lacing. There's just a few tiny bubbles streaming up from the bottom of my glass.

The smell is very hoppy and earthy and spicy. A peculiar nose and I'm on the fence whether I like it or not. I'll take more whiffs later.

The taste, well, is just as peculiar. There's a lot of hop action going on, some weird fruitiness, spicing that I have trouble identifying, earthy and slightly sweet malt, and boy is this sucker dry. That goes with the style but hell it is dry!

The mouthfeel at first feels thin but just before the swallow it comes across as very syrupy and has me befuddled. A ton of carbonation(right for style) with the mf and my tongue and throat are wondering what is going on.

Drinkability would be absolutely terrible if it wasn't for my palate getting some what used to what's going on with the beer. It's not nearly as bad as the words I've typed up there but this is not something I'd buy regularly. I do think it's worth a shot despite the high price tag.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Clear golden straw color. Very active decanting. Poured a 3 finger fizzy white head the dissipated quickly to ring around the edge. Random spots of lace.

S: Lots of light-colored fruits. Wet grain. A little sourness in the background.

T: Huge malt flavor up front. Transitions to light, very sweet, fruits. Sourness in the finish that lingers through the bitter along with ripe fruit. Not real pleasant.

M: Light body. Tons of carbonation; actually turned flat as it decanted so rapidly (which didn't help anything). Crisp and fizzy at the start with alcohol building.

D: Unique and somewhat special, but I won't be buying a bottle to cellar.

2.65/5  rDev -19.9%

750ml corked and caged poured into tulip 10/2/12

A clear golden liquid with more bubbles then I thought you could fit in a glass, even a gentle pour gives 3 fingers of creme colored retains well but leaves no lace

S lots of caramel apple and some butter, a little hops but mostly sweet malts

T not what I was expecting, overly sweet and reminds me more of a malt liquor then anything, some sour cracker and candied corn, some booze comes through I didn't smell. I really didn't care for this one's flavor, perhaps I should've grabbed a paper bag for this one and drank it on my stoop or on the corner near my home.

M over carbonated and syrupy, bad boozy finish and a little hard to swallow

O started off well and went downhill pretty fast, all I got was an over carbonated malt liquor

A wolf in a sheep's clothing? sexy presentation with the sleek bottle but the liquid inside is no where near worth what it costs. I want my money back, from two breweries I respect I expect much more, don't waste your money on this one.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

From tasting notes. L: Pours a thick looking clear straw crowned by a 2” fluffy white foam collar that provides good lace.
S: Honey and light fruit aromas.
T: A fruit and spice palate combines beer and wine flavors with a grape-like after taste. Has a bigger malt presence than expected.
F: Sparkly, medium high carbonation, medium body.
O: This didn’t work for me. Other examples of this style are lighter, have more champagne-like carbonation and have a lighter malt touch.

3.65/5  rDev +10.3%

A-Poured a hazed darker orange color. Champagne head is fizzy and froths off a bit. Not a big lacer.

S-White wine vinous characteristics. White grapes and other fruits. Sweet and fruity with wine-forward notes but there is also a musky hint and a light herbal or grassy hop scent. Interesting.

T-Akin to the nose. Champagne grapes combined with a bit of musk and underlying bready sweetness. Booze is masked very well. Unusual flavor. Light grassy hops too. A nice hybrid flavor. I am a bit shocked to see how hard this beer-brid has been slammed on here.

M-Medium bodied with some nice fizz. Alcohol is drying but not too extreme.

O/D-Overall, I find this beer to be underrated. Its not the Second Coming or anything, but its a pretty cool glass of fizz. Too expensive for a $20 750 ml but its an interesting novelty worth trying (preferably sharing). Not as bad as its rating may lead you to believe.

3.06/5  rDev -7.6%

750 ml caged and corked bottle. Served in a flute, the beer pours a clear golden color with a couple inch off-white head. Little bubbles continuously move from the bottom of the glass to the top. Head retention is good, with a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is nice, but weak. The brew smells like bready malt, apples, grassy hops and an herbal/floral aroma. It tastes like white grapes, pears, bready malt, grassy hops, a weird bitter flavor (not bitter in a good way) I don't know exactly what it is, and a bit of apples and booze. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's well carbonated and has a dry finish. Drinkability is average. Overall I think it's an OK beer. It's not bad, but I don't think it's too good, either. It was nice to try this beer, but looking back now I certainly could have spent that $20 in better ways.

3.95/5  rDev +19.3%

2010 vintage from cellar. Had the morning after DLD as a way to celebrate and compliment an awesome, slab bacon, leek, poached egg on bread breakfast.

Medium copper, amber color with champagney head and awesome bubbling.

Mildly sweet cracker and bread crust and yeasty fruit aroma. Balancd well by the earthy, grassy noble hops and the spring of the carbonation.

Very well balanced flavor profile from start to finish. Toasty sweet malts mixed with a dry fruit champagne yeast and earthy, citric hops. Well balanced. Just a little warm on the abv. finish. Pretty good beer though. Glad I tried and shared it with my fiance and good buddy.

2.24/5  rDev -32.3%

750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass.

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced a large effervescent white head with good retention and some lacing.

(S)- Dry and yeasty with a small grassy note amidst it. Very dry with hints at a cider component.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Some white grape and cider elements with a dry grassy hop note in front of a beer that just reminds me of a bubbly Boston Lager.

(M)- A high, but fitting carbonation level. Very dry and lightly spicy/bitter.

(D)- A major disappointment considering what a bottle of this is going for $$ wise. Nothing too special about it; reminds me of a slightly tweaked Boston Lager with a yeastier profile and higher carbonation level.

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured into a snifter. Foil says 2011.

A- Pours a dark copper color with a full inch of head that bears some retention before subsiding to a 1/8 inch head and hazy surface foam. Decent lacing.

S- Smells hoppy...is that intentional? Has that earthy, malt-balanced hop aroma that's reminiscent of west coast IPAs. Semi-astringent.

T- Surprisingly, doesn't taste hoppy. There's a smooth conjunction of flavors that, all put together, does remind one of champagne and its simple, neutral flavor. The strange aroma still throws that off but, just focusing on flavor, it hits the mark. Hops that aren't overly bitter, malts that aren't too sweet and it makes for easy drinking because I just remembered this is 10.3%. It may not have a white wine flavor to it, but that's a plus in my book. The malt character comes through stronger as the beer warms.

M- Medium-high carbonation and plenty of bubbles, as expected. Quite a full body for a beer that feels somewhat like champagne.

O- Pretty good. Not something that I'd drink all the time, but I guess that's the point. Not quite worth the $19 I spent on it, but I feel they accomplished what they were going for.

3.38/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a flute glass. Had a golden yellow color and a slightly hazy consistency. There was a big, fizzy, fairly long-lasting head. Not much lacing.

S: A sharp acidic smell, with traces of hops, malt and a vinous quality.

T: This is a fairly acidic beer, and it threatens to dominate the flavor. There are also traces of citrus, hops, that vinous quality, and a maltiness in the finish. In some ways, the taste is just too unfocused.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a surprisingly dry finish. Light-bodied.

O: This is my first Biere de Champagne, so I don't really have a frame of reference. That being said, I found this beer to be very uneven in spots. I look forward to trying other examples of the style.

3.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Lots of carbonation present.

Lots of clove with perhaps a hint of citrus (grapefruit) in the nose. Very polarizing in general.

Clove, raisin and earthy tones run the gamut here, followed by a good dollop of booze. I don't think it's "boozy" but rather hard to pick out anything unique for taste.

Mouthfeel has lingering clove with a bit of banana bread and lingering alcohol/hops.

Polarizing would be the best way to describe this collaboration. It's certainly not SA Triple Bock but I'm not sure why I paid so much either. Would probably not buy this again.

1.78/5  rDev -46.2%

Thanks (I guess. . . well I didn't have to buy, so it had that going for it) to koufax21 for bringing this to March Madness 2012.

Dark yellow pour with lots of haze. Weird head formation, lots of carbonation, but they never amount to anything that retains itself, its just upward effervesence that drifts off into the atmosphere. Aroma was floral pungency, like cheap perfume where the alcohol is really prominent and aged on soaked rotting wood.

Taste, ugh, alcohol still really prominent, and not in a nice warming kind of way. Some wheat mouthfeel if you can hack through the alcohol. Coriander used with a heavy hand. Slight banana yeast flavor. Plenty bready. Lots of pale malt. Sweetness as if it was a corn based malt liquor moreso than whatever the hell it really is. A hodgepodge of stuff. Mostly terrible stuff.

What is really appalling is the price tag on these, they're still sitting at $19.99 in Reno, at the end of 2012. Would never buy at a price tag above $1.

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Popped this on New Year's Eve with good friends

Appearance: one inch head, clear, light gold in color, high carbonation

Smell: toasted malt and light spices.

Taste: toasted malt, dry hops, bread, little honey, and slight citrus fruit

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, dry, slightly sweet

Drinkability: Interesting and very dry. A decent beer, but nothing I would ever get again especially for the price. Not bad, but I would sooner get a sparkling wine for these same characteristics.

2.78/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Aromas of light lemon citrus and apple cider and white sauvingion grapes. Some lesser smells of spicy yeast with some other citrus/fruitiness.
The taste is quite reminiscent of a cider beer from Woodchuck but with less sweetness and a little more yeast flavors with a nice biscuity bready malt backbone. Quite dry and tart, actually tastes better than I was expecting.
The mouthfeel is quite full with above adequate carbonation which is appropriate for the style. Overall a decent/unique beer that I am glad I sampled but extra glad a friend purchased it and gave me a sample. Definitely not worth the crazy $ he paid for this. Decent, recommended if free, otherwise, save yourself the robbery.

2.41/5  rDev -27.2%

Bottle poured into my Narke glass...I pulled this out at our tasting as more of a palate cleanser amidst a ton of heavy stouts. Sadly, this disappointed and only thing it cleansed was my sink. Take your 1000 years of brewing experience and trade it for someone with 5 and some common sense. I guess they were going for a champagne wheat beer, which if that was their aim they hit in on the head, as that what it is. Not sure who dreamed this idea up, as it was poorly conceived...Light cloudy honey gold, bubbly, decent carbonation...The aroma is horrendous, smells like corn mostly, some yeast and wheat...The taste tastes like champagne with wheat it in, not sure why they thought a dry crisp drink would go well with a wheaty base. Light grape and soap notes add to such a great experience.

This is utter garbage, all commercial hype and should be avoided at all costs. Shame on you Mr. Koch.

3.52/5  rDev +6.3%

Enjoying this with some friends.Doesn't quite live up to expectations. Neck tags says best before July '11 & we don't disagree. Poured with a very frothy, off white head that soon settled down to a ring. Color is a slightly hazy amber with loads of big bubble trails. Aroma is yeasty, fruity, malt, grass. Flavor's similar to nose but has some tartness that we're not sure is supposed to be there. Body is good and carbonation is fabulous. Finish is like flavor, of average length a little alcohol warmth, and leaves me ready for another swig despite its strength.

3.22/5  rDev -2.7%

2011 release bottle, unique 750mL corked and caged bottle.
poured into tall thin pilsner glass.

appears a clear golden color with massive 3 inch foamy white head very reminiscent of champagne. fades down to a thin covering, leaving clumps of lacing clinging of the sides of the glass.

aroma is fruity, solventy, odd. it's almost exactly like scented dish soap. not good. taste is much better. light biscuity malt some sweetness, but it's balanced with a touch of earthy, grassy hops. no booziness. thinner body, bubbly carbonation. fizzy, sorta like champagne.

overall - to be compared to real champagne I would have expected drier, but that's fine as I don't really care for dry wine. I like the taste, and nice to try the unique style. However, not worth the high pricetag.

4.17/5  rDev +26%

A: Pours a deep amber/honey/orange color. The brightness is very stunning. At first a two finger white head forms that gently settles to a ring. Some sticky lace is left.
S: Big toasted malts up front. Crusty bread/biscuit. A dried fruity aroma as well that I love. Dried and fleshy apricot. I light caramel sweetness lingers. I love it.
T: Big toasted malts and fresh baked bread up front. A dry fruity flavor that follows the nose. Again, I get a lot of apricots. There is a nice caramel sweetness to balance everything out. Very clean flavors.
M/D: A medium to full body. Really crisp, clean, and dry. Very easy to drink. The alcohol is noticeable, but a good beer to sip on.

I really enjoy this beer. Very unique and interesting. More than that, it is also good. To many beers are just interesting to try once. Though I will finish the bottle without a problem, and probably get another bottle. Something I would recommend.

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

Was reluctant to drop $21 on this but I figured it was better than getting another barrel-aged stout or something.

A- Perfectly clear orange with a huge and foamy white cap. Good retention and a nice pillow stays behind. An infinium of bubbles rise fromt he bottom and a small coat of thick lace stays behind.

S- German Weihenstephaner yeast up front. Gives me some dark and citrus fruit. Slight banana and clove that actually build as it warms. Banana bread feel later on. Pear notes, sugar/vanilla?

T- Starts out with fruit-less champagne feel and German yeast slowly works its way in. Clove, banana, hops (citrus, grass, earth, spice). Sweet but not cloying. Raisins as it warms. Some alcohol.

MF- Fluffy and creamy light body with high carbonation and a slight oily feel. Slightly bitter. Some warming.

DB- Very interesting and sometimes hard to describe. Has champange (except sweetness) and German yeast elements to it. Nice but hard to justify the price.

3.32/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from bottle into champagne glass on New Years.

Appearance - Pours an orange color with large bubbles and a head that decayed quite quickly.

Smell - It was quite a sweet smell. Citrus fruits and some banana as well as a little bit of malty/bready smell.

Taste - Sweetness hits the mouth first. Some citrus and hefeweizen flavor. This is then subdued a bit by the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation level was about right for a champagne, but a little off for a beer. So depending on what you are looking... The body was a little more thin then expected, but on par with something like a champagne.

Overall - More of a champagne with a bit of beer flavor. Not bad, but not really my cup of tea, and for the price not something I would likely do again.

3.86/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle split into a Duvel tulip (I can't stand reviewing from flutes, they release too much of the nose for me). 10.3% ABV, "We recommend serving the beer at 40-42° F and enjoying it before July 2011."

A - After a difficult-to-remove cork a loud POP sounded followed by some serious gun smoke wafting out. I instantly expected a gusher. Great strong carbonation in the Duvel glass looks awesome as it endlessly billows through the crystal clear goldenrod beer. A strong off-white head has good retention and some sheets of lace left on the glass.

S - Nice collaboration of fruit and spice in the aroma initially. I really like the depth but it's very mellow to start with. Banana notes and spices meld together with a pinch of white grape. Hints of pale and pils malt finish with a touch of mineral. The more I smell it, the more I'm somewhat turned off by it. I begin to get old, dusty, earthy basement notes, not akin to a good funk. A little toasted malt too.

T - Sweet pale, pils, and Vienna malt across the board with a lingering toastiness after the swallow. The yeast is fairly prominent as it adds complex notes of light banana, white grape, and earthy spice. Some white pepper and perhaps clay. The sweetness becomes a little cloying though.

M - The mouthfeel is the only resemblance to champagne at all, and even then, it's still fairly different. Extreme carbonation has a great texture on the tongue and down the throat. It never gets over the top at any point surprisingly. It differs in the sense that, yes it's crisp but it's also medium-bodied and very sweet. No real dryness here. Again, the sweetness is a little bit cloying. The alcohol creeps up very stealthily.

D - This one is best shared with a group of people. It's definitely a nice and unique beer but it's a little too reminiscent of a spiked Samuel Adams Boston Lager (I realize they use that yeast in this) in the flavor. I wish it was a little more champagne-like. Is it worth the $20 price tag? If you've gotta try it, splitting a bottle with a few people would be the way to go. Maybe I'll pick up one more bottle for New Years, we'll see.

3.52/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a champagne flute and a BrewDog cervoise glass. Best before July 2011.

A: Huge amounts of head fill the top halves of the glasses. Tight and bubbly. Very white with good retention. The beer is full of tiny champagne bubbles. Scattered, wispy head clings to the sides. The beer is light coppery, just barely clear.

S: Hrm. Dusty? Dishwater? Not pleasant smells. Sour fruitiness, as of white wine, is more pleasant. Not very pronounced.

T/M: I quite like it. A nice tart sweetness combines light fruits -- grapes still foremost amongst them, along with perhaps dried apricot -- with malted barley in an interesting and enjoyable fashion. More robust than anticipated. It is wetter and less scintillating than champagne. Not very hoppy, but the odd dustiness I noticed in the smell comes through as a vaguely 'off' bitterness. A sort of sourness pervades the beer and is the glue that holds everything together.

O: The beer noses and tastes the same from both glasses. Worth the price tag? Maybe not, but it was a worthy experiment and one I'm glad I tried. If you encounter one in the next few weeks, give it a go, otherwise don't feel like you missed too much. DeuS and Malheur and both better beers, in my opinion. Still, pleasing and interesting. Drinkable for the ABV, which is hardly noticeable.

2.71/5  rDev -18.1%

2012 vintage date on the foil neck of the champagne bottle. Poured into my De' Proef flute, Infinium is burnt gold with a fairly fizzy white head leaving decent lace. Not particularly different then any other bottled conditioned Belgium blonde with some time to settle and clear, but then again, I feel that way about the whole Bière de Champagne category.

Smell is way sweet malt, but with a nice herbal noble hop snap. The hops are critical and would be lost in hurry with age. There's a buttery diacetyl as well.

Taste is also heavy on the sweet blonde malts, tastes like a 3 year old trippel, over ripe banana...which is not good for being within a year old.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and thin at once, and not at all dry and crisp and champagne like.

Drinkability isn't too high, it's a strong, thick, heavy blonde. Nice bottle though.

Infinium from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)