Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate BockSamuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Bock

Added by Slatetank on 04-11-2011

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This bock pours a black color with a medium tan foamy head. It smells very strongly of cherries and slightly of chocolate. There is flavor of cherry that hits you right in the face. There are also slightly more subtle flavors of chocolate and toasted malts. The body is medium, but disappointingly a little lighter than the average bock. It is also sweeter. The cherry flavor has a somewhat fake quality to it. This beer reminds me of nothing so much as the chocolate candies with the gooey cherry center that you get at Christmas. This could have been an amazing beer if the cherry flavor was just a little more subtle and maybe evenly balanced with the chocolate malts. I know that many people would not like this beer, but I find it kind of interesting in a strange way. I also like their regular chocolate bock a lot, which many people would say has overwhelming chocolate flavor though. I wouldn’t drink too many and I don’t think it’s quite as good as the original, but I think it’s a good holiday beer to have one of.

3.06/5  rDev -13.3%

Pored deep brown, almost black with tan head that laced well. The scent was heavy cherry, almost cherry syrup like. Flavor was not pleasant for me. Fake/candy cherry dominated and made it un-drinkable for me. It was given to me and I will not purchase. Disclosure - fruit beers are not my thing, especially cherry.

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.62/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sam Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock.

I remember having the chocolate Bock some years ago. I also remember the cherry wheat from when I first got into craft. One was highly unimpressive and the other was down right offensive. Let's just hope this isn't merely a mixture of the two put into one. Whatever.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle hard poured into a random glass from my kitchen. Pours out a brownish shade with some ruby hues with our being held up to the light. Head amounts to about a finger in height before thinly grasping the edges of the glass. Carbonation appears to be low. No lacing or stick after a finished glass.

Smell - Alright allow me to be the first to say I am thankful for this nose not being dominated by either of the aforementioned beers. The cherry is surely dominant but nowhere near medicinal as I remember the cherry wheat being and the chocolate is complimentary to the initially nose. It smells like a chocolate covered cherry to put it into simpler terms. If the taste follows the nose I won't have a problem drinking this.

Taste - I've noticed a lot of people are getting mostly chocolate on the flavor profile but it is quite the opposite for me. Big dosage of cherry, which border lines on jolly rancher like with a moderate touch of sweet, and somewhat seemingly stale milk chocolate . Nothing much else to say about this profile so we shall move right along.

Feel - The feel is almost like pop rocks in nature. Medium, somewhat thick bodied with an ever present amount of carbonation. Showing it's malts a bit more here as the beer has slowly warmed up a tad in the heat of this room. Flavors mostly retain the same and the brew Swallows easily. Clearly, the cherry is artificial due to the stick of my lips. But oh well.

Overall - This beer is actually better than I was expecting and certainly better than the two I mentioned in my above prologue. While I personally wouldn't seek it out, you cannot complain much about it. I got more cherry than I did chocolate out of the flavor profile.

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.34/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear deep brown with bright ruby highlights, producing 1+ fingers of mocha, shortlived, frothy head that leaves a thin wash of lacing. Aroma is Cherry Coke cherry & chocolate (very chocolate cherry cordial like) roasted malt & toffee. Taste is Cherry Coke cherry, amaretto & chocolate to the point of being cloying & distracting. Behind this I pick up the definitive Bock notes: dark bread & toasted malts, molasses, toffee vanilla & delicate dark fruit. Finishes sweet & chocolatey followed by subdued (for the first time since the beginning of the sip) cherry. Aftertaste is cherry, cocoa, toffee & roast nuts. Chocolate is nicely subtle in both the nose & mouth, cherry is heavy handed. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, creamy, smooth & a little chewy with a faint hint of spiciness in the finish. This is a dessert beer and not very drinkable. I know I am in conflict with many rating remarks left by others at Rate Beer and Beer Advocate who seem to like the cherry and do not find it as overwhelming as I.

3.14/5  rDev -11%

Left over fro the 2014 variety pack. My least favorite of the assortment. The flavor is just too candy like. It is not unpleasant but I can only do one per year! If you are a chocoholic, this beer is for you.

2.59/5  rDev -26.6%

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bottle - Opaque brown w/ reddish tinge, little to no head - strong chocolate and and cherry smell. Taste follows, strong chocolate and cherry (a little like cough syrup), sweet at first with slightly tart aftertaste. Light to moderate feel, creamy w/ little carbonation. Overall, very sweet and tasty especially as it warms, but strong flavors a bit overwhelming for the beer, making it taste a little artificial.

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.84/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown - black with a tan head. Smells of divine dark chocolate with cherries. It tastes like a black forest cherry chocolate cake. No lack of cherry or chocolate here. This is a perfect dessert beer in the winter. Feels creamy and smooth, like liquid chocolate cake. Overall unique and tasty brew.

4.06/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.84/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

1.28/5  rDev -63.7%

1.5/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

3.02/5  rDev -14.4%

Aroma is cherries, mild chocolate and slight musty notes. The flavor is cherries, chocolate undertones, malts and a dryish/sweet finish.

4.51/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Smells a lot like cherries, but little Chocolate. You could very much taste both, which I personally love.

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Doesn't get a lot of respect, but very underrated beer in my opinion. Love the aroma.

Samuel Adams Cherry Chocolate Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)