Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau Mittelfrueh | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau MittelfruehSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau Mittelfrueh
Liked This Beer
3.57 w/ 407 ratings

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011

Liked:
3.57/5
Alströms:

Third of the series. I think this is a Noble hop, a famous group.

A- Amber bodied with a frothy white head. Good size and decent retention. Nice coat of lace around the glass.

S- Right after the Zeus, this one smells much spicier (a definite pepper note), big pine and more floral, also floral and earthy. Background malt and yeast (bread) notes. Fades a lot with time.

T- Hops lend a lot of pine, spice, pepper and floral notes, as well as some earthy grassy, lemon zest hints. Caramel and nutty malt as well as some bread.

MF- Highly carbonated, creamy light body. Bitter in the finish. I feel like I could copy and paste mouthfeel from 90% of Sam Adams beers to the next, not a bad thing either, just consistent.

So far I think this one has been the most interesting for me. The Hallertau lend a nice variety of flavors from a single hop.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium globe. Best before September 2011 notched on label.

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber color with golden-orange highlights and a 2 finger foamy off-white head. Excellent head retention and nice lacing

Smell: Nice mix of grassy hops and malt. Smells similar to a pilsner.

Taste: Sweet herbal notes with lemon up front followed by fairly sweet malt in the middle before ending with bitter hops at the finish. Aftertaste is fairly bitter with a touch of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: High drinkability. You could knock back a few of these with no problem.

Overall: Good beer overall. I love the way different hop varieties can change a whole beer. This tastes nothing like the other Deconstructed beers and that's the point. This doesn't really taste like a traditional IPA (at least not what I'm used to), but I really like this one and definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Looks exactly the same as all the others in the series so far.
Now here is a smell I can enjoy: Black pepper dusted on top of lemon and orange citrus, its very strong and masculine in feel. In fact, I think I feel my chest hair growing with every sip I take! :)
The grassy notes that others describe come across more in the flavor than in the nose for me. Underneath all of the hop flavor lies the same standard caramel malt and texture as all the other ones in the series so far, but this...this one I like a lot better than the others.

This IPA poured out as a dark golden color, almost like a burnt orange. Couldn't really see through the glass either once the beer was in it. The head was about one finger in thickness and lasted for the majority of the time I was drinking it. The lacing was light but did show itself nicely on the glass. The smell of the beer was more mild than I expected it to be. The malts and hops worked well together here. The taste of the beer was nice and hoppy, the flavors of lemon zest came to mind along with some pine notes. The aftertaste was mostly malty and dry. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and tingles the tongue with each sip. Overall I thought this was a very enjoyable IPA. I'd consider drinking this one again one day if I come across it.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau Mittelfrueh from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 37.6% out of 100 with 407 ratings