Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau Mittelfrueh | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau MittelfruehSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau Mittelfrueh
Liked This Beer
3.57 w/ 407 ratings

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011

Liked:
3.57/5
Alströms:

#2 in the "Monday of Single Hop Beers" with inflatablechair

Pours with a frothy 2 finger sorta yellowish head... great retention and lacing... the brew is crystal clear orange.

Nose immediately reminds me of lemongrass... and something sorta herbal.. like a ludens lemon honey cough drop.

Flavor has a bit of floral component that meshes oddly with the above hop notes... lite pale malt presence with lite toast element.

lite-medium body... crisp small bubble carbonation.

Weird... I swear it smells and tastes like I remember the Ludens cough drops taste like.

4/3/3/3.5/3

Edit to all of my Deconstruction reviews:

These were fun to taste side by side by side, and that should have probably meant the reviews yielded higher scores, but overall, Sam and I agreed that the base beer is just too malty and had a heavy hand with toasted malt and a lighter caramel malt presence. But it was cool to try so many single hop beers at one time.

This experiment raises my respect for Boston Beer Company quite a bit... It is like a Geek Out in a box... buy a 12 pack while you can.

3.11/5  rDev -12.9%

Ok once again got to hand it to SA for their idea here. This is the 2nd of the series I tried and I have to say I'm not impressed. Good to know what hops are respomsible for this taste. I recognize it now and it's not for me. People tend to call this taste earthy but I find it taste like rust (or iron). Yes it's bitter but more in a unpleasant rusty metal way than a natural grapefruit like bitterness of the simcoe hops.

3.11/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a bottle with a best before date of September 2011 into a tulip. Been working my way through the Latitude 48 variety pack as an educational journey through hops. This one’s brewed with Hallertauer Mittelfruh, from Deutschland.

Like its brothers, the color of this beer’s lovely: a shiny, perfectly translucent copper tone. The cream-colored head is fuzzy and only about a finger thick, descending to a frothy ring within the span of a minute. Some thin tracts of lacing are left behind as I drink.

The aroma exhibits the telltale spiciness of German hops, though they’re a bit overshadowed by malty qualities. I get hints of lemon peel, pepper and earth behind stronger aromas of biscuits, honey and caramel.

The hops take over more in the flavor, showing off with lemony, piney bite. Some floral lavender is also apparent. As strong as the malt seemed in the nose, it’s comparitively weak here — I get a bit of honey and some biscuity notes, but that’s it. High attenuation leads to a dry, bitter, snappy finish.

The soft, pillowy medium body is similar to the other variations of this beer. Carbonation is kept to a tingly minimum, but there’s a small amount of fizz as it moves about.

It’s amazing how beers that only vary in hop additions can be. This version seems to me both thinner in body and drier than the Simcoe variation as well as the original.

3.11/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours deep copper with a finger of off-white foam that lingers. Slippery lace

Mostly caramel maltiness, grass, floral, and spice from the hops.

Again, mostly malt, but the hops show up a bit more. Great herbal spiciness that lingers. That great hop bite from a German pils? It's very evident that it comes from the Hallertau.

Medium bodied, slightly sticky, good carbonation.

Interesting. I think that this variety of hops just doesn't stand up to something so malty. Great lesson in understanding not only how ingredients taste on their own, but also what they are and aren't necessarily good for.

3.12/5  rDev -12.6%

Bottle from halls in dfw, only place I could find it. Thanks john.

I am going to start all these reviews the same, as it is the same beer...

Great concept and price point, wish more brewers would do this... as it is a beer geeks wet dream.

pours a darker than expected amber color with about a finger of head... awesome lacing clinging for life around the sides.

Nose is actually malty on this one... with a little bit of peppercorn coming through. Hops, though... not too much when I think of an apa. Hope this tastes better...

Taste is a traditional bittering hop. It seems like this would last years and still have some bite to it. It has a lot of honey flavor and sweetness that the others didn't have... which was unexpected. The more I drink it the more I like this one... interesting... by still not that great.

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Hazy amber, like the rest of the series it has a nice frothy head that hangs around for a while and leaves nice lacing.

S: Quite floral, and a little musty.

T: Malty and sweet with a hoppy floral backbone. A little bit of pine to it.

M: Good, full body, adds quite a bit to the beer.

O: Not that great on the whole, but it's a unique beer to experience. I would definitely try it again to see if my opinion would change.

3.16/5  rDev -11.5%

Good orange pour with lots of clarity, average head, not much for lacing or retention, but pretty nonetheless. Aroma was mild, grassy, floral.

Caramel first, a little bit of that mild, low bitterness hop with a grassy feel to it. Tough to call this an ipa, or at least not qualify it with an east coast or english descriptor in front of it. Balanced. Mild citrus.

Very easy to drink. Give this to the mild ipa lovers, give the simcoe to the ones who like hops and bracing bitterness. Has a summer ale lemon vibe to it.

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a dark dirty penny copper color with a strong white head nearly overflowing the top of my pint glass. Great job on the head for an IPA IMO.

Aroma of rich caramel crystal malts and light pine and light citrus hops.

As an American IPA, this could use more hops. I know this pack is more of a comparison tool than how each beer would be brewed individually by SA, but this one is not my favorite of the bunch. I get a good strong bittering presence from a long boil on the hops. First sip I get a slight floral taste which is quickly taken over by malt. Mid body I taste more caramel than anything else. Aftertaste is slightly astringent / tannic dry tasting, similar to the EKG Lat 48 but not as good IMO.

Good mouthfeel for the style, medium body with a high carbonation that slightly stings the tongue. Overall pretty good.

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into chalice.

Pours 1 and a half fingers of khaki head. Decent retention leaving some really nice lacing. Color is a dark amber copper.

Aroma: Has a bready/biscuity malt profile. This one is pine flavored similar to the zeus. It also has a big lemon citrus kick.

Taste: This one start out with some sweet malts. Caramel and bready flavored. Then comes the lemon citrus flavors followed by the piney earthy hops. More malty than the zeus.

Mouthfeel: Bitter-similar to zeus. More bitter than the East Kent Goldings. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends pretty sticky.

Overall, this was a bit too malty for me like the Kent. I think I thought the original was a bit too malty as well. This one is a bit behind zeus due to the malts showing a bit more.

3.2/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

It's a nice hazy copper, with a white head that turns into a rim of lace.

It's got a softer smell. Flowery and a bit piney.

This is a malty sweet beer. The hops lend a nice floral flavor with a lot of pine on the back side.

It's medium bodied with a carbonation that was all right by me.

This beer seemed average. This Deconstructed IPA 12er is getting tiresome. Zeus is the last one and the one I've been looking forward to the whole time. Come on Zeus!

3.21/5  rDev -10.1%

Part of the Latitude 48 Deconstructed Variety Pack.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Again, beer pours a clear, bright copper. About a finger of white head again. However, the lacing isn't as pronounced as with the Simcoe variety.

Smell is underwhelming. It not much of an IPA smell. The hops are muted and earthy. There's also some lemony citrus notes as well.

The taste is much more herbal and malty than it is hoppy. There's a strong caramel sweetness running through the beer. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes noticeable and a little prickly.

Another medium bodied brew. Seems less carbonated than other beers in Latitude 48 Deconstructed pack, but perhaps that's my imagination. The drinkability is pretty good.

Overall, a disappointing beer. I like noble hops but this one misses the mark. Medicinal, herbal and sweet. Not exactly my definition of an IPA.

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

This one starting off isn't going to be my favorite a strong distinct lemon note goes through my nares and across my palate it's pretty rough within the structure of this malt base. Nose is actually nice a full on lemongrass experience with hints of pine, malts seem a bit dull here and less expressive than the other versions I've had thus far. Flavor is much less expressive than I thought it was going to be, finishes grassy/mild pine with lemon throughout. The caramel malt and overall breadiness really takes over within the dominant flavor profile. Some astringent bitteress in the finish, doesn't work well with the hops so far this one isn't working for me. Mouthfeel is medium bodied even carbonation this one really has a lingering citrus peel bitterness that's hard to get past. Overall experience is that certain hops really work well with certain malts, this isn't a catch all work for every situation hop and to my knowledge it's usually combined with other hops.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Hallertau Mittelfrueh from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 37.6% out of 100 with 407 ratings