Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Simcoe | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - SimcoeSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Simcoe
Liked This Beer
3.81 w/ 432 ratings

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011

Liked:
3.81/5
Alströms:

4.65/5  rDev +22%

I was visiting The Foodery (N. Liberties and I saw that they had singles and sixes of Lat. 48 in bottles and asked if I could purchase singles. "Why would you want to do that?" was the reply and I must have been dumbfounded because the counterman went on to explain that one sixer equaled the SA Lat. 48 Deconstructed series and I could have one of each of the bottles that construed the series by buying one sixer. Deconstructed IPA? Color me SOLD!

From the bottle: "Hop Variety: Simcoe; Growing Region Along the 48th Latitude: Yakima Valley, WA; Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Simcoe IPA is brewed with only Zeus hops from the Yakima Valley area of WA. The hops are added at three points during the brewing process - bittering, late kettle, and dry hopping. Simcoe hops contribute a profound bitterness and dramatic grapefruit peel and pine resin notes to this brew, with the slight sweetness and full malt body balancing the concentrated hop character."

I am a sucker for AIPAs and the very thought of this series set my mouth to watering and my Hop jones Monkey that lives on my back to chattering in a tone that I had not heard before. I am regressing to an earlier, uglier time, thanks to these bottles. The CANQuest (TM) weaned me off of the hop kick and now I am right back on that pony. Dang!

This was the fifth of the six.

Just as Radar O'Reilly was advised to nod and murmur, "Ah, Bach!" in an episode of "M*A*S*H", so should any hophead worth his/her salt murmur, "Ah, Simcoe!" This is the granddaddy of American IPAs and deserves our respect for its contributions. I had a dense finger of tawny head with great retention from my pour. Color was a deep copper with NE-quality clarity in a shade and tone that not even newly minted pennies achieve. Nose was ... Ah, Simcoe! It smelled like the pine resin bag from little league baseball and allow me to wish the PA team representing the Mid-Atlantic this year the best of luck the rest of the way. If this does not get your nostrils to sit up and pay attention, you may want to consult a physician as you may be dead. Its interaction with the caramel malt sweetness was breathtaking. Mouthfeel was prickly with the grapefruit citrus bitterness burning out those weak taste buds and paving the way for the pine hops to get a chance to shine. Ah, Simcoe! If the nose was breathtaking, the finish was stunning with me wishing that I were wearing a seatbelt so as not to fall over from the intensity. Jeez-O, man, ah, Simcoe, indeed! If they could make a Simcoe mouthwash, I would be gargling ten times a day. The finish just left me feeling as though I had been gargling with it. Minty fresh! The lacing in the glass was outrageously sticky. Beautiful.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

rich copper with a nice creamy colored head and significant lace. Looks great. Smell is richly hopped , with even a bit of a sugary presence. Taste was very nice, not overly upfront with the hops, but it will catch you on the back end. Nice dry finish. Again that almost caramel malty taste rounds this out very nicely. Very smooth as well. This is a good IPA that is not Crazy Hopped

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

I had this along with 3 of the other 'deconstructed' latitude 48 single hop beers and the original.

Enjoyed cool and allowed to gradually increase in temp in the taster glass. I split these w/ BA Carlos.

The clarity and color are similar to the other 4 I tried together, but the color may be a shade darker, not sure if there are more oils or what but this is similar in every respect to the others, perhaps better retention too. The smell is not my personal preference but the hop works with the malt body ok, slightly 'catty' but herbal and earthy which could be described as 'piney' too. The feel is nice smooth bitterness from the simcoe without the jagged edge of the Ekg and finish is fruity tangy and balanced well.

This hop gives a more spiced flavor to me than any of the others, almost an exotic spice taste like ginger perhaps with some grapefruit and light pine attributes it has the attribute of working well with the malt backing, but dominates slightly and still is one I would enjoy since the hoppy oil qualities and the sweetness cooperate in the flavor to give a pleasant smoothness which the others don't achieve. I suppose I would go for this 3rd if I had to choose. I am only slighly less enthused by this than Zeus and Ahtanum since the aroma of Simcoe is one I am not a huge fan of. I think the flavor works well, so using Simcoe as a flavor addition for a homebrewer seems to be the way to go IMO.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

From 07/09/11 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a clear amber color with one finger of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Light lacing left on the glass.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, fruity malts, and tropical fruits. Enjoyable, but a little bit weak and not a ton of hops.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, honey, citrus hops, tropical fruits, and light pine hops. A step up from the nose, and no real bitterness.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink.

o - Overall a pretty nice IPA. Very easy to drink and some nice citrus hops and fruit to it. Would have it again.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer pours a dark amber color, almost copper with a finger of slightly off-white head.

S: Fairly dank hop aroma, which you typically expect from Simcoe. However underneath the citrusy and piney hops, there is still that pervasive sweetness to it.

T: Citrus and citrus zest. A moderate bitterness to it and some grassy and piney bitterness. Some sweet fruitiness and some of the same sweet maltiness to it but not quite as pronounced.

M: Medium in body with medium carbonation.

O: The bitterness and intense hop flavor helped to balance out the intense sweetness.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

4.42/5  rDev +16%

The Simcoe Deconstruct was my favorite of the group. So good in fact I want to get another 12!!! The color was a rich clear copper and had great head and lacing. The scent was the best of all five, good pine and grapefruit with a tinge of spice. The taste was awesomely balanced with great pine and citrus. There was also hints of spice which I think helped to have the beer come off the pallet. The mouthfeel was great and this beer had some body. Definitely the pick of the litter for me!

3.31/5  rDev -13.1%

The beer is amber hued and transparent, with a finger of off white head that leaves some decent lacing on the pint glass.

The aroma is kinda weak, with some pine and earthy notes.

The flavor is a step up from the aroma, although the beer is far too malty for the style. What is the deal with all these East Coast IPAs being so malt heavy?!? Another disappointment. Sigh. The flavor is decent, and the beer is drinkable, but this could be so much more. Hops overshadowed by malt does not equal American IPA.

I enjoyed this more than the standard Latitude 48, but overall, still feel that this beer comes up way short. Mediocre for the style.

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Part of the deconstructed 12 pack.
Pours a deep amber color with a frothy white head that sticks around for a bit before impaling itself to the sides of the glass. Smells of earthy pine with hints of bready and caramel malt deep underneath. Seems to be the most hop forward of the bunch. Taste is piney and bitter with barely enough sweet bready malt to keep this from being too harsh. Long lingering harsh pine hangs on the palette long after every sip. Fairly dry finish. Medium body and level of carbonation. This one could really use a bit more of a malt backbone maybe some crystal malt would help this one greatly. This was the most IPA like of the bunch though.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Pale deep copper hue with an off white beige head forming textured dimpled cloudy head. Fine speckled bands of lace form between sips. Aromatics here are dominant with citrus namingly grapefruit peel...with earthy hops as well. A very pungent nose that gets you ready to imbibe on your first sip of this specialty brew. Flavor is more of the same strong assertively bitter grapefruit earthiness, the pale caramel malts don't really stand up to the level of hops offered up in this version. Clean brisk bitingly bitter hops going on these beers are quite fresh I picked up a 12 pack at Boardman's Vintage Estates for around 17 bucks. Moderate carbonation in the mouthfeel with a medium bodied well lubricated single hopped IPA, this is pretty good stuff. Well worth it, to go on a hop voyage from all five single hop varieties offered in this sampler pack. Extremely easy to drink yet coats the palate with grapefruit earthiness two really great hop flavors I'm enjoying throughout each sip.

3.2/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

12 ounce bottle from the box set. Best before sept '11 the notches on the side of the label tell me.

Darker and clear almond amber, frothy oatmeal head, lasts and leaves a thick collar of low sheeting and slippery lace.

Grapefruit hop nose, with some underlying malt sweetness.

Grapefruit from the simcoe is the dominant feature here. Citric and grainy. Moderate malt under current with caramel and some light smokeyness.

Nice job here by S.A. Give em credit for the concept and the execution of the IPA in the box. Not amazing brews but very respectable efforts and educational to boot.

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%

Awesome. I knew I liked Simcoe for a reason. Good on all ends. Real oily characteristics on this one fragrance and flavor wise. Thick, consistent, and distinct. I'm kind of disappointed that I went to this as I doubt the last two I have left of this series will live up to this one. But what can you do. This is a solid beer. Especially considering that there is only one hop varietal in use. A pleasure to drink.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Simcoe from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 69.9% out of 100 with 432 ratings