Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Zeus | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - ZeusSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Zeus
3.64/5
Good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

Resinous pine floral flower smell with some citrus underneath it. The malt is the same like all the other Latitude 48 beers with a smooth velvet like sugar sweet almost bready malt and then come the bitter pine resinous hop that ends dry and bitter. You get a slight touch of citrus hop flavor but I love how the pungent pine hop flavor and bitterness come through a really good amount.. very surprising because it reminds me of a West Coast IPA just with more malts.

My favorite quality about this beer is that the Zeus hop is DELICIOUS. It leaves you with this deep rich pine bitterness that digs into your tongue and almost creates a woody tobacco taste as well. Hands down my favorite single hop beer that I've tried in the deconstructed mix pack. This is more bitter and piney then the original latitude 48 and could even give some West Coast IPA's some good competition especially if they lowered the malt in this.

I wish they released this Zeus IPA as a year round beer with a different malt bill from Latitude 48. It could be a totally new beer for Samuel Adams that would really give the hop heads something to consider as a regular favorite.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

I was visiting The Foodery (N. Liberties and I saw that they had singles and sixes of Lat. 48 in bottles and asked if I could purchase singles. "Why would you want to do that?" was the reply and I must have been dumbfounded because the counterman went on to explain that one sixer equaled the SA Lat. 48 Deconstructed series and I could have one of each of the bottles that construed the series by buying one sixer. Deconstructed IPA? Color me SOLD!

From the bottle: "Hop Variety: Zeus; Growing Region Along the 48th Latitude: Yakima Valley, WA; Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Zeus IPA is brewed with only Zeus hops from the Yakima Valley area of WA. The hops are added at three points during the brewing process - bittering, late kettle, and dry hopping. Zeus hops contribute bitterness and an intense, pungent resinous pine flavor. This brew leans strongly toward the hop character, but is softened by the malt's sweetness."

I am a sucker for AIPAs and the very thought of this series set my mouth to watering and my Hop jones Monkey that lives on my back to chattering in a tone that I had not heard before. I am regressing to an earlier, uglier time, thanks to these bottles. The CANQuest (TM) weaned me off of the hop kick and now I am right back on that pony. Dang!

This was the fourth of the six.

How can you go wrong with a hops varietal named for the Greek god of the sky and thunder? By my reckoning, the sky should fall on my head and thunder (and lightning) strike me once I am finished. Once more, I had two fingers of tawny head, but unlike previous iterations, it fell like Wile E. Coyote going over a cliff. The dense, sticky lacing in its wake left me trying to remember where I left the jackhammer so that I could remove it later. Color was a deep copper with NE-quality clarity. Say, if I take these beers to the nearest scrap metal yard, do you think they could use the copper? Nose was as advertised - imagine yourself in a stand of pine trees and it is the dead of winter with snow falling and you have just popped a Wintergreen Life Saver in your mouth and you inhale deeply. Then you exhale. This smelled like what you would taste on the exhalation. Mouthfeel was medium, kind of prickly on the tongue, but Zeus was striking my tongue with thunderbolts of hops. "... [S]oftened by the malt's sweetness"?!? Holy mother, I would hate to be hit by the full-on onslaught! "... [I]ntense, pungent, resinous ..." were all apt adjectives for the pine flavor that was evident in my mouth. Wow! I felt like I were smoking a menthol cigarette or rinsing my dirty mouth with Pine-Sol. Finish was initially equally piney, slowly giving way to a quick wash of malty sweetness and then back to the hops, which simply lingered. Is it good if I do not hear that silly monkey at this point?

4.58/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Small head and copperish to reddish hue. Medium hoppiness and sweetness. Not a bad overall beer. Sam Adams has done themselves well this v pack and beer selection Not too much more else i could really say about this beer other than what i have written

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a great copper color with great head and very nice lacing. Excellent deep sweet malty aroma with a great hop hit at the end. Interesting taste, with great malt sweetness, slight caramel flavors, and a wonderful hop citrusnesss. Went down quite well indeed!

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

What a wonderful idea by Sammy A! A deconstruction of the Lat 48 so we as beer advocates can taste single hop ales. The Zeus portion was copper clear in color. Good carbonation but head retention was a little amiss. The nose was pine and slight citrus. The taste was a full bodied beer with great pine taste. There is a slight citrus, but the after taste is powered by pine. The mouthfeel was good, some may not like the heavy body, but I sure did. Great Job Sammy A!

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Clear copper, nice sized cream colored head. Whatever, im reviewing the hops in this pack. Scent is a caramel malt start, with a sticky sappy oily hop finish. Caramel start to the taste, but this one is all about oily hop, kinda pungent almost. Trying to think if there have been many beers ive had where this was the sole hop, but i think its used in conjunction a lot. I like this though, i would drink this is this was the recipe.

Im really into these hops, and this is my favorite offering in this extremely cool pack.

You keep brewing, ill keep buying

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Grapefruit, and centennial like burnt fruit aroma, and resin. Smells pretty dank.

Flavor, very resinous of the bat, the middle is fruity, and then the end finish’s bitter. A very nice hop.

This is a very nice hop variety that can handle the job fairly well on it's own. Reminds me of centennial.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from 12oz. bottle with "Zeus" printed on label, into a standard pint glass.
Clear, copper/amber in color, with a nice two-inch head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Earthy hops, faint pine note
Taste-Piney, sappy, earthy coarse hop notes. Great hop-leaf flavor throughout, and sharp, piney hop bite. Diggin' the Zeus hop.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Piney... resinous... grapefruit smell... Very nice aroma from a hop I'm not too familiar with.

Appearance was beautiful. Clear liquid amber.

Taste is balanced pretty well... More malt in the front with a nice bolt of Zeus' lightning hops in the tail. The bitterness is mostly in the back end of this drink, with thin toffee up front.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Not too thin... right where it should be, I think.

Overall very nice. What a cool concept. Sam Adams does it again!

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Pours a rich amber hue and is topped with a sturdy tan cap of froth which deposits huge sheets of lace upon the glass. Nice looking beer.

S - The aroma is rich and piney with hints of white grapefruit and tangerine atop a light caramel. It is very well-apportioned.

T - I am getting an impression that is best summarized as Sierra Nevada-like. I enjoy Zeus the most of the series. The brew is replete with big piney and dank cannabis flavor and little leathery notes. Nice balance, definitely skewed towards hoppy.

M - The feel is sturdy and crisp, has a lot of tooth, and is a medium-bodied brew.

O - As is true with the entire 'Deconstructed' series, I like this one better than the regular Latitude 48.

4.11/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses. This beer pours a clear, deep amber, copper color with lots of little bubbles rising to the beer's surface. Has a nice, fluffy white head that is a good 1/2 inc when first poured. Excellent head retention here. Excellent lacing here too. Aromas of piney, floral, resinous hops with hints of spice along with slightly tasted caramel malt. Taste is pretty much the same, with nice piney, floral, spicey, resinous hop bitterness upfront followed by slightly toasted caramel malt sweetness. The ho flavor is big and bold and certainly dominates the flavor profile but unlike some other hop flavor dominating IPAs it is not overly bitter. Has a slightly crisp and chewy, really smooth. medium bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. A very good and well balanced IPA with superb drinkability.

Eric

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Zeus from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)