Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Zeus | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - ZeusSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Zeus
3.64/5

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

I was visiting The Foodery (N. Liberties and I saw that they had singles and sixes of Lat. 48 in bottles and asked if I could purchase singles. "Why would you want to do that?" was the reply and I must have been dumbfounded because the counterman went on to explain that one sixer equaled the SA Lat. 48 Deconstructed series and I could have one of each of the bottles that construed the series by buying one sixer. Deconstructed IPA? Color me SOLD!

From the bottle: "Hop Variety: Zeus; Growing Region Along the 48th Latitude: Yakima Valley, WA; Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Zeus IPA is brewed with only Zeus hops from the Yakima Valley area of WA. The hops are added at three points during the brewing process - bittering, late kettle, and dry hopping. Zeus hops contribute bitterness and an intense, pungent resinous pine flavor. This brew leans strongly toward the hop character, but is softened by the malt's sweetness."

I am a sucker for AIPAs and the very thought of this series set my mouth to watering and my Hop jones Monkey that lives on my back to chattering in a tone that I had not heard before. I am regressing to an earlier, uglier time, thanks to these bottles. The CANQuest (TM) weaned me off of the hop kick and now I am right back on that pony. Dang!

This was the fourth of the six.

How can you go wrong with a hops varietal named for the Greek god of the sky and thunder? By my reckoning, the sky should fall on my head and thunder (and lightning) strike me once I am finished. Once more, I had two fingers of tawny head, but unlike previous iterations, it fell like Wile E. Coyote going over a cliff. The dense, sticky lacing in its wake left me trying to remember where I left the jackhammer so that I could remove it later. Color was a deep copper with NE-quality clarity. Say, if I take these beers to the nearest scrap metal yard, do you think they could use the copper? Nose was as advertised - imagine yourself in a stand of pine trees and it is the dead of winter with snow falling and you have just popped a Wintergreen Life Saver in your mouth and you inhale deeply. Then you exhale. This smelled like what you would taste on the exhalation. Mouthfeel was medium, kind of prickly on the tongue, but Zeus was striking my tongue with thunderbolts of hops. "... [S]oftened by the malt's sweetness"?!? Holy mother, I would hate to be hit by the full-on onslaught! "... [I]ntense, pungent, resinous ..." were all apt adjectives for the pine flavor that was evident in my mouth. Wow! I felt like I were smoking a menthol cigarette or rinsing my dirty mouth with Pine-Sol. Finish was initially equally piney, slowly giving way to a quick wash of malty sweetness and then back to the hops, which simply lingered. Is it good if I do not hear that silly monkey at this point?

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

deep amber with a good amount of haze and cloudiness to it as well.

citrus bouquets dancing around the smell, creating just wonderful floral scents that really gave this a nice lively presence. Lots of sugar in here as well, as I was picking up a nice sweetness to it, Nothing really shredding about the bittering hop profile, it was rather subtle in its complexities and very nice in how balanced it was against the sugary profile that backed it up. The first flavor I noticed was a very nice orange note that came through, this was almost soaked with sugar it was coming through so sweet, a deep earthy malt profile was hiding out underneath of this, really giving it some depth and a nice overall sense of balance

4.07/5  rDev +11.8%

I had this along with 3 of the other 'deconstructed' latitude 48 single hop beers and the original.

Enjoyed cool and allowed to gradually increase in temp in the taster glass. I split these w/ BA Carlos.

A deep copper the head retention is improved from the Ekg and lace sticks well. In other aspects similar in clarity and bead is the same-small and copper with a visibly carbonated body. The smell is great, the best of the ones we tried. Unfortunately I didn't have access to the Hallertau. I would say this aroma is layered with tropical and lemony/grapefruit citrus notes with a slight floral tinge. The feel is great too, bitter, but tangy/juicy with a slight sweet tinge and mild astringency. The carbonation level is good and finish is semi-dry.

I really like the way the Zeus works with the malt bill, very complimentary a spicy edge to counter the somewhat caramel sweetness. Thereis some juiciness which is lemony and there might be a hint of grapefruit, but probably golden grapefruit not ruby red. I enjoyed the balance yet it does seem to favor the hop in the flavor slightly with the bitterness only slightly higher than the others and generally an overall good hop that stands up well in this IPA. I enjoyed this and would drink it anytime it makes me want to do more Columbus, Zeus or Tomahawk single hop beers as a homebrewer. I have done 1 and it was also very enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

2.99/5  rDev -17.9%

A: The beer pours a dark amber color, almost copper with a finger of slightly off-white head.

S: Smells a touch citrusy with quite a bit of grassy hops, and feet. Mildly piney with some bready malts and quite a bit of sweet caramel and toffee notes.

T: Luckily the flavor is better than the nose. Grassy, floral, and hints of citrus peel provide the hop flavor. There is a mild bitterness but like the nose, quite a bit of malty sweetness with a little bread.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation.

O: Luckily, not as bad as the final version, but still not something I'd care to drink again.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

What a wonderful idea by Sammy A! A deconstruction of the Lat 48 so we as beer advocates can taste single hop ales. The Zeus portion was copper clear in color. Good carbonation but head retention was a little amiss. The nose was pine and slight citrus. The taste was a full bodied beer with great pine taste. There is a slight citrus, but the after taste is powered by pine. The mouthfeel was good, some may not like the heavy body, but I sure did. Great Job Sammy A!

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

The beer is orange hued, slightly hazy, and teeming with effervescence. The head is off white and nearly a half inch, leaving some decent lacing on the pint glass. The aroma brings light citrus, pine, malt, and some earthy notes. The flavor is decent, although the hop character is not showcased as much as I had hoped, which seems to be a trend with this series. Although I would prefer less of a balancing act and a more hop forward beer, the Zeus IPA is pretty tasty and drinkable.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Part of the deconstructed 12 pack.
Pours a deep amber color with a frothy white head that sticks around for a bit before impaling itself to the sides of the glass. Smells of herbal/citrus hops. Sweet, floral and fruity mixed with hints of bread and caramel. Taste is sweet and malty with an herbal and long lingering bitterness. Fairly dry finish with a medium body and level of carbonation. I like this one a lot better than the EKG version, but as IPA's go its too funky different.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Appears a glowing pale copper with a light khaki tan head forming a thick billowing head after a vigorous pour. Lacing starts to forms in fine scattered patterns with each sip. Aromatics this one comes off initially with a much danker earthiness and pine than the rest of the varieties. Flavor hits with a much harsher angle of bitterness, earthy pine needle collaboration really makes your palate run and hide with the hop bitterness. The first few sips result in billowing hop burps that run through the nares. The caramel biscuit malts really don't make it to the party in this version the hops just tend to overshadow the malts in this version, I'm pretty sure Zeus is a higher alpha acid varietial and it shows in this beer. Mouthfeel is resinous with hops medium bodied evenly carbonated a really enjoyable experience really. When it comes down to it, another fine single hopped IPA very excited to have 6 more of these different IPAs in the fridge. If need be I'll provide updates on my thoughts about these beers.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Amber color with little head or lacing.

Smell: Hoppy and malty.

Taste: Sweet malt with hops this is the best of the mix pack so far for me.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a mostly dry finish.

Overall: Kind of like a Dogfish 90 minute Jr. which is a very good thing. I will need to drink a second one before I make a final decision on this one.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

12 ouncer from the Deconstructed box..Best before dating on the label

Pours lightly hazed darker almond orangy amber. Khaki head that stays a bit, leaves better then average, sloppy and slippery strands of lacing.

Resiny and citric hop nose.

Resiny, grainy hops run this show. I pick up some pine, some more citrus and more and more hop infused resin. Not a long finish or a lot of complexity, but another workmanlike IPA, that simply put is good drinking and quite enjoyable.

That it for my box set of IPAs...said it before, but hats of to S.A, for this collection of hoppy brews and for the interesting tastes and smells they provided.

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

Last in the series. Looks good. Smells nice. Pretty good flavor profile. Something about it made me immediately thing "Simcoe", as in a reminiscent kind of thing. Lots of oil with the hops. A hit of tangy and very mildly earthy tones hits and stays constant. I can dig this one. Nice to drink. Not my favorite of the series though.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: pours an orange color with a 2" head that lasts. Thick lace sticks to the glass.

Smell: strong grapefruit and some earthy tones are easy to detect.

Taste: caramel, grapefruit, pine, and earthy tones are most dominant. Some fruit sweetness is detectable late. Bitterness is sharp.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp throughout.

Overall: this is a slower drinking IPA with the sharp hops. This beer was very earthy and piney.

2.79/5  rDev -23.4%

The fifth and unfortunate final Sam Adams beer poured into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass last night, a failure I will never live down. I shall finish this "diagonal" at my nearest convenience.

Beer is red to amber with a thin white head of small bubbles, lacing? You betchya, carbonation? moderate to low but steady. Retention? Sure, why not.

Aroma is sweet with a mild earthiness and hop aroma.

This one does include the hop in the flavor profile but again it is not very bitter for an IPA, what are the IBUs on here? 35 - 40? Whatever they are they are too low for this to be a good AIPA. Too malty, too sweet, not enough of the hop shining through. THESE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE SINGLE HOP BEERS TO SHOWCASE THE CONTRIBUTION OF THE INDIVIDUAL HOPS right? Didn't turn out that way. You end up with 4 (possibly 5) really mediocre malty IPAs. If I mixed them all together would I get Latitude 48 back?

4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

quite a nice little IPA. Never really had (knowingly) the Zeus hop.

Pours a glossy dark caramel color. Large, barely off-white head. Somewhat rocky, very sticky.

Bitter aroma. Pine and herbal spice. Some citrus zest just to get it above the earth. Some caramel/crystal malt in there to throw in some sweetness.

More bitter than not, perfect for IPA. American IPA I would expect more grapefruit/citrus characteristics, but that's being too confined to certain American hops. Still, this one has some bite. Pine and spice. Somewhat metallic I think.

Overall a nice IPA. Love the single hop idea

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a medium amber hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a sharp herbal hop and earthy caramel malt.

The taste was well balanced with a bit of smokiness amongst the caramel and a drying herbal hop.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a good IPA.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Zeus from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)