Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

WTF | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

1.3/5
Awful

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Thorpe429 on 05-16-2011

1.24/5  rDev -4.6%

Sampled at the ebf notb, reviewed from memory (I was scarred)

This beer poured a red to purplish color, very odd color for something that does not come from a bottle labeled kriek, has a decent head. the smell is where things really start to go south, there is an extremely pungent/astringent odor coming from my sample glass, I could not quite put my finget on it, somewhat reminded me of ammonia. The flavor was utterly grotesque. spicy weird burning flavor which i would guess the taste of ammonia would be like. The mouthfeel was light to medium body with ok carbonation, but you almost cant give this beer a decent review becuase of how horribly rank it was. if this beer ever makes another appearance avoid it.

1.25/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.27/5  rDev -2.3%

Reviewed from notes.

On tap at Night of the Barrels 2011.

Pours a murky dark red color with a very thin off-white cap after a swirl. The nose is really quite bad. WTF indeed. Very strange herbal notes with some tea leaves and quite a bit of solvent and medicinal notes. Like a bad fruit cough drop with some menthol. Very astringent. The flavor is not any better. It's a very bad medicinal tea with some semi-sweet fruits in the background, I suppose. At least, I think that's what's behind the solvent. Really harsh and astringent. Slightly bitter. Truly something way, way gone wrong. Simply putrid.

1.48/5  rDev +13.8%

In the 2+ years I have been an active member of this site, I have uploaded nearly 1,000 reviews. This was the first beer I ever took notes on and did not want to upload them. When I saw today that someone else mustered up the strength to add this beer into the database, I realized I had to do this in an effort to find some closure.

This beer was poured at the EBF '11 into a sampler glass. It appeared a lightly hazed color of red, somewhat like a dark ruby red grapefruit juice. By the time I got my sample and could back away from the serving table, all signs reminescent of a head dissolved away into nothing. What was left in my glass appeared like a dark pink fruit juice that left no signs of lacing on the glass. I shook my glass a few times and a burp of white bubbles appeared.

The aroma of this brew is quite unique. It's red coloration deceives your mind into thinking fruit juice but what emerges from the glass is a herbal scent of flowers and spices that are reminiscent of a Christmas wreath sprayed with something like a disinfectant. I found this brew to have a funky almost musty scent about it with notes of puke.

The taste...sweet mother of baby Jesus the taste of this brew was unforgettable. I could not believe what my taste buds were experiencing. I approached the serving table to ask what the fuck was in my glass. The volunteer, with a shitty grin on his face, smiled and said: "exactly, it's WTF!!" This beer tastes like decaying swamp water. The taste that resides inside your mouth is a mix of algea and the previously described Christmas wreath piney flavor. There is an underlying flavor that is quite medicinal like a very spiced liquor. The first thing that popped into my mind was jagermeister was used in this beer to cover up the algea and decay taste.

This brew lingered inside the mouth seemingly endlessly. I seriously drank a bottle of water, ate a waffle and had 2 pours of barrel aged barleywine and the taste of WTF was still lingering in my mouth. I dont know how a light bodied brew with a low amount of carbonation has that kind of lasting power without being perfume. I could not finish this brew and it was only a sample. As far as extreme offerings go, this brew was way out there and not enjoyable at all. This beer sticks out as my most solid memory of the EBF and since then I have not attended another beer festival. Everyone in their life needs to experience a beer of this magnitude. Seek it out and use it as a prank. Thanks WTF for ruining the 2011 EBF for me, I hate you.

1.5/5  rDev +15.4%

WTF from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)