Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin AleSamuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by TMoney2591 on 10-03-2011

Ratings: 1,359 |  Reviews: 258

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

Sampling right now on 8/28/14. Comes in a nice 22 ounce (1 pint, 6 ounces) single bottle that costs around $4.99. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 'Sam Adam's Boston Lager' glass.

Pours a very dark brown with some ruby highlights that has about a good 1/2 finger off-white foamy head that settles down to about a 2mm layering on top and a bit more on the sides of the glass. Some spotty lacing is seen when sipped but not a lot. The aroma is full of pumpkin and spices! Very pleasant and makes me wish it was autumn! Lots more going on with the taste with a good amount of punkin flavor with some spice that probably consists of clove and nutmeg with some malts. Very tasty and medium bodied. Goes down easy with no bitter or harsh aftertaste at all. Perfect carbonation for this type of brew. One of the better pumpkin seasonals

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Batch 1 (2012). I sampled this beer on 10/20/2014.

4.24/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +14%

Outstanding orange red color, excellent clarity, topped by three fingers of bubbly off-white foam.

A spice rack of a nose: cinnamon, nutmeg, clove. Bit of pumpkin, too.

Taste follows that nose. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove, mixed with pumpkin. Undercurrent of caramel sweetness. Sense of bigness, but no alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy, some real body to it.

Not something to throw down a sixer of at a Halloween party, but a nice sipper on a cool autumn night.

4.21/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was very excited to try this beer, and it did not disappoint. I had the beer on tap, and it's limited in that Samuel Adams only released it in 5 gallon barrel kegs. In fact, the bar I drank it at ran out within 2 hours (I attempted to order one more before I left).

The appearance was very darkish brown, and almost seemed like a brown ale or stout. The smell had hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, but had very little fizzle and absolutely no head at all.

My first taste made me think of the experience I've had trying other pumpkin beers (even Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin), but someone throwing a shot of whiskey in it! That's how strong the taste was, and it was definitely not the way to start my night at the pub! Having said this, I definitely liked the beer on sip (and yes I sipped on the beer it was that strong) 2, 3, 5, and so on. By the end I was drinking the beer, and would have ordered another without hesitation!

If you have the opportunity to try one, definitely do so! Not a beer I could drink everyday, but the best Pumpkin Beer I've had, and definitely the best I've had on tap. It's refreshing to see Bars and breweries embrace Pumpkin beers, and this is one of the better ones!

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

A solid imperial pumpkin ale. Nice and spicey!

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)