Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin AleSamuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Ratings: 1,359 |  Reviews: 258

Way too pumpkin-y

2.1/5  rDev -43.4%

2.1/5  rDev -43.4%

A – I poured the beer into a Sam Adams pint glass. It was amber in color and got darker at the wider portions of the glass. There were three fingers of head, which subsided within two minutes. A very thin layer of carbonation bubbles stayed on top of the beer.
S – The beer smelled like cheap watered down light or even diet beer, but it also reminds of the smell of some of my favorite amber beers. Not sure why, but amber beers always smell like watered down cheap beer to me.
T – This beer starts out with a deep roasted taste and quickly fades to a bitter alcohol taste. Several seconds after my swallow I taste pumpkin. Not the pumpkin I expected though. Not the sweet kind like in pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread, but bland as if you reached into a pumpkin and put its slimy contents directly into your mouth.
M – Strong carbonation and thin.

2.2/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This is probably the worst pumpkin ale I have ever had. Tastes like a blend of mostly vodka and rum with a lot of sugar and a dash of pumpkin. What I find perplexing is that most of these strong ales are typically sold in large bottles (this one was 22 ounce) whereas the lower ABV sessionable beers are generally sold in small 11-12 ounce bottles. Seems counterintuitive. After drinking 8 ounce of this poorly constructed beer I already feel inebriated so I recapped the bottle. It might be good as an aperitif following a large meal so I will give it a try after Thanksgiving dinner.

2.28/5  rDev -38.5%

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

All I could taste was the alcohol

Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)