1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

The Vixen Chocolate Chili BockThe Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock
3.67/5
Good
The Vixen Chocolate Chili BockThe Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: German Bock

Availability: Fall

None provided.

Reviews by travolta:
3.77/5  rDev +2.7%

App: Black to brown around the edges. Tan/carmel head which is foamy. Little retention/nice lacing.

Nose: A little malt upfront, powdery cocoa in the middle, with malty chili in the end. the chili is very unpronounced.

Taste: Extremely well balanced. Very conservative with the spice. It is a bock, no doubt. Malty and chocolate smoothness with perfect carbonation.

Notes: A conservative bock with interesting qualities. I will be buying another...couple.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

" I take a piece of paper, make a heart and send it to you. And I wanna cut a paper, I wanna scream and shout so don't cut me out 'cause vixen baby you're alright." Millencolin,The Vixen

Black with a Georgia clay head. My girlfriend had glass bottom retention on her glass and I had nothing. Alas, everyone likes her better, even beer.

Smells like chili...and chocolate. Tastes like earthy Hershey's chocolate syrup with a little bit o' peppery heat. The standout of this beer is the smooth mouthfeel.

Like most Sam Adams beers the taste and aroma are dead on, they're just not strong enough. I had hoped the the small batch series would be different but I guess you can't teach old brewers new tricks.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours dark brown with a cream colored head. Every sip leaves a splash of lace. Decent head retention.

Mostly malt in the nose, with hints of spice and chocolate.

Moderately sweet brown sugar and malt sweetness up front. It disappears quick, and leads to an essence of chocolate and then a good blend of cocoa and cinnamon. The chili comes in at the finish, but you really don't taste it. You get a little heat, but just enough. The malt is always there, and there is a backbone of mild bitterness throughout. Terrific balance and it delivers on every flavor.

A little thinner than I wanted this to be, but it works.

WTF are the negative comments about in other reviews? This, in the end, is beer first, and all the other flavors second. Good balance, and it delivers on all flavors promised. I really liked this one, and will seek it out again before it disappears.

2.43/5  rDev -33.8%

Overall: I had the "fun" of sampling The Vixen from three glasses (Chimay glass, Duvel glass, and Harpoon 100 Barrel series glass) and what I can say is this: drink this from the widest rimmed glass you own unless you love drinking Essence of Barbecue.

Appearance: So deep brown that it's almost black. Pours a one-finger head that fades faster than, well, a vixen's whisper. Pour lace that leaves little to the imagination.

Smell: Prunes; soy; malt; teriyaki; chocolate; raisins; baby oil.

Taste: Chili and chocolate meet to make a wonderful marinate for your dinner, but for your beer? Not a great move. Notes of burnt caramel and overwhelming prune juice play a cruel game with your taste buds. I can't find where the chili lies.

Mouthfeel: Average mouthfeel but with a thick, burning aftertaste.

3.42/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with a notched best by date of Feb - something. Sampled on April 23, 2018.

It certainly is a nice looking dark brown pour with a soft, silky tan head settling on top and barely fading.

The aroma has some chocolate elements but I also pick up a roasted sweet caramel malt character and a defiite hot pepper sensation.

The body is smooth and around medium.

Thiose chili peppers come on strong more in the taste than they do in the aroma with a baked chocolate character sweetness and a low to no hop finale. I remember when this first came out a few years ago and I didn't buy it then. Now it has been re-released and I probably won't buy it again. Not my thing.

3.71/5  rDev +1.1%

Black with a solid 1 finger tan head with excellent retention and lacing.

Nice nose for a bock IMO. Nice dark roasted caramel malt, mild black licorice with a nice light sweetness. Not getting much cili or chocolate.

Flavor is pretty mild and falls a bit flat, especially on the finish. Caramel roasted malt, mild licorice and dark chocolate are the noticeable characteristics. Lacking the chili.

Medium bodied. Fairly thin with medium carbonation.

Overall it's decent. Not terrible, but need Alot of work. Seriously lacking the chili all around.

4.21/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: The appearance on this one is very dark, though not as dark as Bitches Brew which is currently around the top of my scale. A nice, strong tan head forms on the pour with plenty of holding power. Around a 32 SRM.

Scent: On the first sniff I get a strong chocolate aroma both from the roasted malts and cocoa nibs. I definitely smell a hint of cinnamon deeper in the aroma with just a kick of heat in the background. The chocolate and the chili reminds me of drinking hot chocolate with cayenne pepper. The smoothness of the chocolate really blends well and mellows out the heat of the pepper.

Taste: The taste is exactly what you would expect from a dark bock. The roasted characters are there up front but dont overpower the beer. You get a nice crisp, clean mouthfeel that you come to expect from a lager. The chocolate flavors are coming in on multiple levels and the chili is there ever so slightly in the background.

Mouthfeel: The mouth is medium bodied with enough carbonation to push the unique flavors through. Not much to say, just a crisp, easy drinking bock.

Overall: This drinks exactly like their Chocolate Bock, go figure. Luckily that was probably my favorite of their releases this winter. You get plenty of the chocolate flavors which are complemented by the roasted malts. Unfortunately the chili doesn’t shine through quite as much as I had hoped. Every time I see a beer that includes chili peppers (I’m looking at you Theobroma) I wish for some actual spice and a bit of heat to shine through. All around a great beer from Sam Adams. I’ll have to try a few more from this new line.

3.69/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle split 3 ways.

A: Pours very dark brown, almost black, but not quite. Ring of tan foam on the top, looks quite frothy. A little darker than I was expecting.

S: My first impression is overwhelming soy sauce scent, not too pleasant. I sniff again and there is soy sauce with a hint of sweetness. It's a little off-putting.

T: Very hard to describe, but very good. The soy sauce is there at the first sip, but my taste buds become accustomed to it quickly and a rich chocolate flavor hits. It takes until almost the end of the glass to taste the spiciness, just a hint of chili in the back of my throat. The chocolate is confusing because it makes me want to think it's a stout or porter with the cocoa flavor, but the soy flavor is definite bock. Rich aftertaste.

M: Very lightly carbonated and smooth. It does not have the burn I'd expect from an 8.5% ABV, but the slight buzz I get tells me otherwise.

O: Despite my initial hesitancy with the soy profile, it's delicious once you get past it. Great winter beer; we had it before bed a few hours after our Thanksgiving meal and it seemed appropriate. With the chocolate notes, it's pretty nontraditional for a bock.

2.72/5  rDev -25.9%

Look: Very dark brown in color not quite black with a 1 inch head and good retention with no lace left behind

Smell: Cocoa nibs upfront with a weird chili note and a bit metallic

Taste: Upfront is a fair amount of chocolate but that same damn metallic note shows up after the chocolate and makes the beer almost undrinkable especially when the beer warms. Oh and there is no chili flavor here at all

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation and just a hint of heat

Overall: When you compare this to say Hunaphu it gets ran over by a bus. The flavor could have been so much better but it just falls tremendously short. Fail Sam Adams Fail

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Batch 1.

A- Pours a deep brown body with reddish hues around the edges. A light tan 3-finger head sits atop and sticks around for a short while. Some OK lacing.

S- Lightly musty, some chocolate and toffee, not too much aroma of the chilis, but there's a slight warmness in the nose from it.

T- Light chocolate, little spice (if any), some toffee, but not much else.

MF- A little fuller than I would've liked.

O- This was a lot better when the brought it to the EBF, not so much now.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Presentation: 22oz brown bomber with nice label. Thanks to John S. for bringing this one down on a visit! Bock brewed with chocolate, chilis, and cinnamon; kind of like a mole? We'll see!

Appearance: Near-black into the glass, with brown around the edges, with a nice light-tan cap that shows decent retention.

Smell: The aromas meld a nice toasty, caramelly bock with a rich, dark brown ale. Maybe just a hint of spice (both heat and cinnamon?) but that's all that suggests this is anything other than a standard (if very pleasant) brown ale/bock.

Taste: Color me surprised! I was not a real fan of SA's regular Chocolate Bock (in the holiday pack last season) but this is pretty tasty. First and foremost, it TASTES like a bock. It's toasty, bready, and a bit caramelly (though the flavor intensity could be ratcheted up just a tad), and there's only a bit of dusty cocoa on the finish, and a ghost of dry, dusty heat at the end. This is really quite enjoyable. This would make (in my opinion) a FAR better holiday offering (with the cinnamon and heat) than the regular Chocolate Bock offering.

Mouthfeel: Medium-to medium-full.

Overall: Alcohol that's perceived only in a pleasant warming sensation, coupled with a tasty bock with an interesting twist, I'd say SA's got this one spot on. I dunno how much it cost (I think around $6-7), but at that price, I'd likely pick up another if they ever brewed it again.

Overall, solid B...well crafted, and nicely executed. Thanks John!

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.71/5  rDev +1.1%

This beer is a nice shift from the standard Sam Adams brew. The appearance is nice and dark with a light brown foam. The pour is full and the foam and fades. The smell gets more of a chocolate aroma as the beer warms which is ok but it is not strong. There are also hints of malt in the aroma. The taste is good, malty, with a chocolate and slight sizzle of the chilis. The mouthfeel is full, maybe "thickish" with some carbonation completing the taste. Overall, this beer is nice and I believe it will go over well although for my taste I would like little less chocolate and maybe a touch of hops.

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%

Batch #1 with no other freshness dating.

A= Pours a basic pitch black color with a nice three finger head on it that holds some steady retention and nice lacing.

S= Smells a little chocolaty I don't get much of the chili in the noce. At first I got a lot of the chili as the air burst out of the bottle. The bock is a nice quieter in the nose bock.

T= The taste is a bit more complex. There is a decent chocolaty flavor to it that is very evident and the chili is a little more out there than in the nose. It's a nice amount of chili so much so that it isn't hot at all but more of a subtle "chili" flavor if that makes sense. The chocolate is a nice undertone as well and the bock portion is about average.

M= The mouth is typical for a bock. What I would concider to be a little to thin for the flavors and not lasting enough. For style however I would say it's pretty good.

O= Actually a decent beer from SA. I have been pretty unimpressed with this series so far and this one actually works pretty well. Not a bad beer. The flavors work but the bock portion is a little weak. Worth checking out.

The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)