The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
The Vixen Chocolate Chili BockThe Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

3.7

Reviews: 254 | Ratings: 610
3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Batch 1

A: Very dark brown and almost black. Pours with a thick foam head that manages to stick around and laces the glass rather well. Color is too dark for a bock, but probably due to cocoa nibs or some darker malt used.

S: It has a lightly sweet, almost fruit punch aroma. Not a favorable aroma for a bock. I was looking for a more malty aroma with some roasted characteristics coming through, but it just wasn't there.

T: A heavy malty taste that is fairly well balanced and smooth. Thankfully the smell and taste are almost completely different. There is a slight alcohol taste at the end, but not very noticeable.

M: Heavy mouthfeel and carbonation seems to be at good level.\

O: Was really expecting more of the spices and chilies to come through, but then again its Sam Adams and they never go to the extreme and always like playing it safe.

4.07/5  rDev +10%

Bomber from Total Beverage Wstminster poured a clear dark reddish brown with a lasting tan head. Aromas of cocoa, cinnamon,chilies, light vanilla and light earthiness. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and smooth with a lightly warming finish. Flavors of cocoa, cinnamon, chilies, light carmel and light vanilla with a smooth lightly warming lingering cinnamon finish.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours burnt brown with a khaki head and a little lacing.
Dark bitter chocolate and a little booze on the nose.
Unsweetened chocolate, booze, a very faint pepper.
Carbonation is pretty spot on with a nice rich body, not overly heavy.
Good, but the lack of chili is mildly disappointing. Still, a good offering from the Boston Beer Company.

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

A: This beer pours a dark, roasted color with a pretty thin, caramel colored head. Does have a lot of big and tiny bubbles on the head, but not much retention and leaves very little lacing. Still a nice looking beer.

S: Whoa, wow...I get a whiff from those chillies right away along with some cinnamon. Upon a second smell and a little more focus, I get some cocoa and a slight hint of hops.

T: Initial taste is of some heat and spice, which I imagine is from the chillies that are blended with the hops. A slightly sweet, roasted character comes through the middle of the flavor and ends with some cinnamon and malt.

M: Its a mild texture as far as the mouth goes. I would say a little more thin than their Chocolate Bock, but definitely not watery. This is a slow sipper as you will get more character and flavor from this beer by letting it warm up.

O: Didnt think I would get the chance to have this as it was 1 of 2 missing from my batch series collection. Now that I have had it, this beer was definitely worth the wait and the price.

3.87/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a bomber into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an extremely dark brown, almost black, with a four-finger chocolate brown head, which recedes in a few minutes leaving minimal lacing.

Smell: Very chocolatey, you can smell the spiciness and a bit of alcohol as well. Chocolate is very dominant, though.

Taste: This is really sweet! The forefront is a balanced mixture of the cocoa nibs and mild chili spiciness, with the backbone being light cinnamon and yeast, with a slightly boozy taste. The chocolate and chili are dominating though, but it's just a bit to sweet in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Heavy bodied and light carbonation, a more creamy body might have suited this better.

Overall: A beer that I'd definitely try again, but would like to with some age to it to see how it tastes then. Despite the name, the chili is detectable, but not really spicy or anything, it's really subtle.

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Opened this brew after work.

American Bomber style bottle. 22oz.

Poured into my glass a deep coffee brown/blackish. Head forms quick after the pour, however only stays for a minute. Good lace.

Aromas of chocolate, burnt wood... smoke. Not so much of chili, but some linger of the cinnamon.

The taste is chocolate. Not too sweet though. The Bock style really does bring the body of this beer down a lot vs a Chocolate Stout or Porter. This quality is rare though, and is proven worthy.

Overall this was a good beer. I hope Sam Adams re-releases it again, and also that they keep up the work inventing new stuff.

Good time, Cheers.

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Okay, I am not a S.A. hater BUT I rarely find anything I like by them in my styles.

If you've not tried this beer - you should really do so.

I'm going to compare it to Huhnapu's mainly because of the choco-chile thing. I try all dark, roasty peppery beers. It's a favorite combi of mine and I was NOT impressed by the Hu's enough to try for a second bottle. Add to that the going trade value and - just not worth it. I found this on a trip to my local Market District, loved the label and the description and bought it.

Pours a beautiful dark umber mahogany with a nice heavy weight caramel head.

Aroma is porty. :) Roasty malts hinting at a choco-overtone.

This one is better as it warms. Wonderful REAL chocolate flavor along with cinnamon and yes - some peppery chili heat. Not bitter, but don't let anyone tell you it's sweet. It's cocoa-y. Great full flavor that rolls around on the palette and doesn't go anywhere soon. Wonderful finish. No phenols. Nothing abrupt. Really nice round, roasty nibs and spices. Love it.

This is the best beer I've ever had by S.A. I'd drink it all winter.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

A: pours a dark brown, near black, moderate tan head with ample staying power, leaves a light lace down the glass

S: sweet and malty, roasted malts, a hint of chocolate. I don't detect any chili, small hints of alcohol on the nose

T: rich and powerful, chocolate and roasted malts shine through, a very slight hint of spice and alcohol on the finish. A very pleasant and warming beer

M: medium to thick body, well carbonated

O: a great bock, a nice surprise from Sam Adams and one I will buy more of.

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle split 3 ways.

A: Pours very dark brown, almost black, but not quite. Ring of tan foam on the top, looks quite frothy. A little darker than I was expecting.

S: My first impression is overwhelming soy sauce scent, not too pleasant. I sniff again and there is soy sauce with a hint of sweetness. It's a little off-putting.

T: Very hard to describe, but very good. The soy sauce is there at the first sip, but my taste buds become accustomed to it quickly and a rich chocolate flavor hits. It takes until almost the end of the glass to taste the spiciness, just a hint of chili in the back of my throat. The chocolate is confusing because it makes me want to think it's a stout or porter with the cocoa flavor, but the soy flavor is definite bock. Rich aftertaste.

M: Very lightly carbonated and smooth. It does not have the burn I'd expect from an 8.5% ABV, but the slight buzz I get tells me otherwise.

O: Despite my initial hesitancy with the soy profile, it's delicious once you get past it. Great winter beer; we had it before bed a few hours after our Thanksgiving meal and it seemed appropriate. With the chocolate notes, it's pretty nontraditional for a bock.

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into a tulip glass. Nice dark brown with cream colored foam. Not much lacing. Dissipates quickly to a ring. The smell is sweet roasty malt and caramel. No pepper. The taste is caramel, chocolate, dark malt and chili. The chili is towards the middle and end. Very nice addition to the flavor. No spiciness just pepper. Medium heavy mouthfeel with nice carbonation. Overall a good beer. I like the addition of the chili. Not everyone will like it but i do. Definitely worth a try.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

A: pitch black with dark brown where the light can shine through, light mocha head

S: chocolate, candy smell, chilis, roasted malt, slight alcohol aroma as well

T: burnt flavor, chocolate flavor, roasted malt, caramel and wood flavors

M: very dry but smooth and creamy, some heat on the back of the tongue

O: Very interesting beer, diverse flavor, I'm really enjoying the heat from the chili on the finish. Good beer overall, just very different.

4.17/5  rDev +12.7%

This is something that I was aging (my first venture into it), but then I noticed that there were problems with the temp at the moment and figured if I can't keep it right at the moment, might as well not waste the beer. This is only been sitting 5 months in good conditions until very recently, so nothing should be extremely different from off the store shelf.

Appearance: Two finger frothy deep tan head, no lacing to speak of, deep brown-red color (about 36 SRM), looks thick.

Smell: Sweet Malt, soft pretzel doughy, light coffee, light chocolate, almost light mint/vegetable/earth (might be the chili, just not standing out to what I would say "this is chili"), allspice, nutmeg.

Taste: Sweet Malts again, more bready dough this time, milk chocolate, light coffee, ancho chile, alcohol very light but present, saigon cinnamon, light woods, light floral. Very light warmth and spiciness, lets you know gently it's there but doesn't go beyond that. Medium body. Good Balance.

Final Thoughts: Very good beer. I enjoy the balance of deep flavor but keeping it flow with the body. This beer is what it says it is. It's got more earthy chili/cinnamon then I was expecting (was expecting a bit of a red hots cinnamon and cayenne heat chili) but it all flows. I would buy this again.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Deep dark brown. minimal head that disappeared rapidly.

S - Chocolate, malt and brown sugar

T - While others may have perceived a multitude of flavors, honestly I found it mostly one dimensional as flavor is concerned. The Vixen has a very pronounced chocolate flavor, with hints of malt and brown sugar, but I found the chili to be almost completely imperceptible, if not altogether absent. I also didn't find the spices to be very well represented. At 8.5% ABV I didn't find this beer to be overly boozy either; another plus.

M - Medium bodied, bright and moderately carbonated.

O - Overall not a bad Bock, but the chocolate dominated and the chili didn't live up to its billing. That's a shame, as there are few greater flavor matches exciting as chili and chocolate.

3.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was really excited to try this one. Nothing exciting right off the pour, and the aroma was pretty mild. There was a hint of spice but really not a ton more than that. Nice and rich after the first sip, and a little surprisingly, the chili and chocolate were pretty mild and on the back end. Still detectable, but not overwhelming. I would've liked those flavors to pop a little more, but still, pretty good beer overall.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer is a nice shift from the standard Sam Adams brew. The appearance is nice and dark with a light brown foam. The pour is full and the foam and fades. The smell gets more of a chocolate aroma as the beer warms which is ok but it is not strong. There are also hints of malt in the aroma. The taste is good, malty, with a chocolate and slight sizzle of the chilis. The mouthfeel is full, maybe "thickish" with some carbonation completing the taste. Overall, this beer is nice and I believe it will go over well although for my taste I would like little less chocolate and maybe a touch of hops.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

A:Very dark chocolate color even for a bock

S: chocolate, malt, coudn't get the cinnamon or chili smells.

T: chocolate, malt, sweet but again could not catch any chili or cinnamon.

M: very creamy bock, even taking a nice long drag off the glass could not pull any chili "heat". Maybe my palette doesn't get this when there are so many other flavors involved.

O: Overall a very interesting drink. Wondering if this idea didn't come from their Longshot contest as it is such an eclectic mix of flavors. 8.5% alcohol leaves you with a nice mellow feel after finishing a single 22 oz.
bottle. Since there was no born on date or suggested freshness date, I am guessing you could age this one nicely and try in a year or so to see how the flavors develop.

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%

Very interesting beer. Nice dark color good head. Very nice poor. The smell was a bit faint. I did pick up a bit of chocolate and a very slight hint of chili. The taste was good. Not what I was expecting but good. I was thinking more robust, but it was a very good blend of sweet and spicy, a but on the subtle side but over all good. From the complexity and verity of flavors the palate has its work cut out for it. Over all a little light on the taste but for what it is not bad at all.

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured dark black into a tulip with a sizeable head. Head lingered for awhile.
Rich, roasty, malty smell to it. Then the taste... um, is this not the chocolate bock? On the finish I can detect the chili and the cinnamon, but in trace amounts. I really would like more chili. If you are going to make something with chili, assume the easily frightened and mainstream beer drinkers are not going to buy it, and JACK THE CHILI UP. I don't need a full scorch, but a nice little tingle would please me.
Otherwise pretty darn good, smooth, chocolatey, sticky tasting. If you like that sort of dessert beer, (especially if you like the SA Choco bock original) than you will like this.

2.43/5  rDev -34.3%

This beer kind of disappointed me. When I read the label to it, I thought in my head it was going to be a different and great beer. Then, when I tasted it, I was saddened.

Appearance: Dark color, with little light through

Smell: Pretty goos smell, definitely get a small hint of chili in it.

Taste: Mostly chocolate malt. There is no chili taste whatsoever. I was expecting atleast a little bit of heat, and there was none at all.

Mouthfeel: Very light and smooth, Not much taste to it.

Overall: A beer that I suppose you should try if you like more maltier(spelling) beers. Don't expect much heat, because there is none. For a darker beer it was good, but for the description...needs some updating.

4.21/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: The appearance on this one is very dark, though not as dark as Bitches Brew which is currently around the top of my scale. A nice, strong tan head forms on the pour with plenty of holding power. Around a 32 SRM.

Scent: On the first sniff I get a strong chocolate aroma both from the roasted malts and cocoa nibs. I definitely smell a hint of cinnamon deeper in the aroma with just a kick of heat in the background. The chocolate and the chili reminds me of drinking hot chocolate with cayenne pepper. The smoothness of the chocolate really blends well and mellows out the heat of the pepper.

Taste: The taste is exactly what you would expect from a dark bock. The roasted characters are there up front but dont overpower the beer. You get a nice crisp, clean mouthfeel that you come to expect from a lager. The chocolate flavors are coming in on multiple levels and the chili is there ever so slightly in the background.

Mouthfeel: The mouth is medium bodied with enough carbonation to push the unique flavors through. Not much to say, just a crisp, easy drinking bock.

Overall: This drinks exactly like their Chocolate Bock, go figure. Luckily that was probably my favorite of their releases this winter. You get plenty of the chocolate flavors which are complemented by the roasted malts. Unfortunately the chili doesn’t shine through quite as much as I had hoped. Every time I see a beer that includes chili peppers (I’m looking at you Theobroma) I wish for some actual spice and a bit of heat to shine through. All around a great beer from Sam Adams. I’ll have to try a few more from this new line.

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This really wasn't what I expected, but maybe it was

I have lived in the Northeast my whole life and Sam Adams has always been IMO average at best

Nothing different here

Was hoping for a whole lot more chocolate with a nice chili bite

Thought it would be like Stone 11-11-11 with chocolate

Really didn't taste the chili

Mouthful was fine and was easy to drink, but taste was just ok

Wouldn't try this one again

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Serving Type - 12 oz bottle

Appearance - Very Dark brown

Smell - Very sweet with Slight hints of chocolate

Taste - Slight chocolate taste very sweet

Mouth feel - medium body

Sam is defiantly amping it up . Its nice to see more coming out of Sam Adams when i started drinking more craft beer they originally set the bar. Defiantly a beer to have with a good meal.

Side note go pick up one of sams new beer !

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Smooth and rich, very dark appearance with a thin tan laced head. Roasted malt, cocoa nibs with a sweet chocolate spicey aftertaste. There is a slight peppery warmth to it when the beer is warmed and sitting for a while. You get more of it when it is warmer rather than straight out of the cooler. A pretty unique, intriguing beer. I love anything different than the norm, and this was a decent attempt at it.

I won't rate this beer good or bad, but just average and kind of bland.

Which is a real shame, since it could have been so much more multi-dimensional with all the flavors this beer could have had.
Instead it fell on its face.

I bought this beer expecting to either love it or hate it but not hate it because it was bad, hate it because I just didn't care for the craziness the brewer was trying to achieve. Either way, I was hoping it would stir some sort of emotion out of me. Instead, it stirred about as much emotion as a bud light.

I say skip past this one.

4.42/5  rDev +19.5%

Drank some of this at a Christmas Eve party at my house with my cousin, my inlaw and myself. We drank The Vixen and a Rogue Chocolate Stout side by side. We realized it was 2 different styles, bock vs. stout, But it was strickly judged on flavor not style, presentation logo art or anything like that. Just 2 chocolate flavored beers. Guess what we all picked the "The Vixen" over the "Rogue". It taste more like a Porter than a Bock. Very complex mixture of flavors: Chocolate, caramel, mild cinamon notes, and faint roasted chili flavor(achiote maybe?). The chocolate flavor was a smooth dark chocolate not extreme bitter like the Rogue. Again both fine chocolate beers (that BTW go great with beef tamales and pasole!)

The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)