Samuel Adams Mighty Oak Ale | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Mighty Oak AleSamuel Adams Mighty Oak Ale
Liked This Beer
3.45 w/ 501 ratings
Samuel Adams Mighty Oak AleSamuel Adams Mighty Oak Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

3.45/5
Alströms:

1.5/5  rDev -56.5%

1.91/5  rDev -44.6%

Appearance - Pours a deep, dark amber with a tinge of red. Almost no head to speak of.

Smell - This is an ale? Smells like a "Big 3" lager, with maybe a hint of caramel. This isn't boding well.

Taste - Generic beer taste. Subtle hints of caramel, but mostly it just tastes cheap. Finishes like it came out of an AB can... a lot of alkalinity with this one.

Mouthfeel - Light, and almost no carbonation to speak of... I've awoken to half empty beers with more carbonation than this.

Overall - Severely disappointed. This may be the worst beer I've ever had from Sam Adams. If you put me up in a blind taste test between this and Budweiser American Ale, it'd be blind luck if I got it right.

2.03/5  rDev -41.2%

Review from notes taken 12 23 12. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that was given to me by my brother Pete. Thanks for the opportunity! Poured into a clean, clear pint glass.

A Translucent dark yellow body under and all too brief head. 2.5

S Disappointingly for me, little to no "oak" detected in the smell. I have had oak aged beers before and they have intrigued me. Perhaps I was led by the title of the beer to expect some sense of oak in the smell/flavor and that was my fault but none-the-less I find myself disappointed. In fact, the smell was of a distant barley malt and it was not easy to detect that. 2.0

T Unfortunately again, the taste carried right from the smell in a forgettable, thin tasting amber. There was barley malt and the slightest hops that I could taste. This would probably be a good session beer if it was not so boring to the point of distraction. 2.0

M To thin for me. I need something with more depth any more. 2.0

D/O Drinkability again would have been high but it is too boring. Overall this is not a good beer. 2.0

Notes: My impression went from "Oh, cool, something called 'Mighty Oak'" to "Damn, this beer is really boring and I don't think that I will ever look for it again."

2.31/5  rDev -33%

SA mighty oak

a 3.5 red color with a 1.5 finger off white head that leaves scant lace.

s 2.5 not much in the aroma department, a little sweetness, a little roast

t 2.0 there's a little sweetness and a little roast, and precious little else. and the finish leaves a fairly unpleasant linger of bland roast and slight astringence.

m 3.0 light to medium, kinda watery, somewhat spritzy carb

o 2.0 hoped this would be better (obviously). sometimes, the tiny explorer inside me just can't resist a variety pack. but sometimes, with SA, it just seems like i'm getting 2 good beers for the price of 12.

2.33/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Half a finger off-white head. Fairly short retention. Light, clear amber color.

S- Grassy and straw smell. Light malts with some floral hops. Not very attractive.

T- Malty sweetness with some oak flavors. Kind of simple.

M- Light bodied, bubbly but no real substance.

O- Meh. Not terrible, but definitely not a great example of the style.

2.42/5  rDev -29.9%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a pilsner glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a transparent copper color with a thin 1.5 finger, off white head. Retention is okay at best. Meh.

S - Caramel and crystal malt, toast, and light sweet fruit (particularly cherries). Smells sweet and possibly imbalanced, and I get absolutely no oak.

T - I still get no "distinct oak notes" as per the label. Total disappointment. It's your run of the mill red, much akin to their Irish red. Bland malts are sloppily handled. Just... not good.

M - Thick and smooth. '

D - Just a total failure on this one. I'll pass in the future.

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this beer some time ago entering it here just to catalog it. Oak flavor was way too strong and just plain tasted wierd to me. Have tried many Sam Adams beers but finding one I like is rare.

2.5/5  rDev -27.5%

Samuel Adams Mighty Oak Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 29.1% out of 100 with 501 ratings