Samuel Adams Alpine Spring | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Samuel Adams Alpine SpringSamuel Adams Alpine Spring

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Kellerbier / Zwickelbier

Availability: Spring

Borne of our brewers’ many trips to Germany, Alpine Spring features a unique blend of lager attributes: the balanced maltiness and hoppiness of a Helles, the smoothness and slightly higher alcohol of a traditional spring bock, and the unfiltered appearance of a Kellerbier. The beer is brewed with Noble Tettnang hops to add a unique, bright orange-citrusy aroma and flavor.

Added by BDIMike on 12-22-2011

3.6

Ratings: 2,570 |  Reviews: 577

4.73/5  rDev +31.4%

appearance - 4.5/5 - Pours a hazy yellow with a finger of white head.

smell - 4/5 - Smells of lemon or orange peel.

taste - 5/5 - Instantly refreshing Helles flavor backed up by bright citrus flavors. There's more in there that I can't quite describe as anything besides "Helles".

mouthfeel - 5/5 - Has a high level of small bubble carbonation that enhances the refreshing spring flavors and clears out those flavors making room for the next swallow.

overall - 5/5 - Quite an impressive complex lager for a seemingly simple beer.

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

One of the best beers I have ever had. Seasonal release that hasn't returned since Spring 2013. I miss it dearly.

4.66/5  rDev +29.4%

I absolutely love this beer, despite the fact there is a foot of snow outside and I can't understand how this is a spring release when I am drinking it in the dead of winter...

Pours a hazy light orange with a fluffy 2 finger head; nice retention, but eventually dissipates to a minimal lingering head.
Nose: notes of citrus (orange and lemon) with a hint of graininess.
Taste: Strong citrus upfront with a hint of floral hops. A bready, almost toasty malt back balances out the strong yet delicate hoppiness. Finishes with a grassy bitterness and a little more citrus, almost...almost tartness like a Berliner Weiss (probably just wishful thinking, as I haven't had any sour goodness in some time).
Mouthfeel: Very creamy, yet crisp and light...perfect!

Overall: a killer "replacement" for Noble Pils, really wish this thing was a new year round release.
Additionally, as a serious advocate of German beers, especially lagers, I think Sam Adams nailed this one.
I really appreciate the thought that went behind this "concept beer" as it is a melding of some of my favorite German styles! A must try for anyone who appreciates a beer with superb balance, character, and a nice change of pace!

4.64/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A KELLER or Zwickel (love that word...) beer....by America's largest brewer* no less. AMAZING!!!!

A: Looks great poured in with slight haze (to be expected in this style) with a generous long lasting head, and sticky lacing.

S: Nothing to write home about, just about like barley bread--again classic for this (very rare outside of homebrew-circles in America) style of very traditional lager. Still its nice comfort-beer aroma.

T: An extremely drinkable almost thick, down-home beer, just crisp enough in hops to clean the palate....but mild enough to not scare away mass-production-beer drinkers. Makes you want to make a meal of it....and the aftertaste is like if you just had some fresh-baked bread--classic German/Czech lager...and FINALLY an American brewer has a version that can take-on any German brewer. (Even in Germany Zwickel is old-fashioned and not so common). For this style--a helles/pils cross in a Keller (unfiltered) version, simply outstanding.

No, the Hop-is-like-estrogen heads won't like it...but good, more for the rest of us!!!

M: Very rich and smooth mouthfeel, must be from the yeast going down.

Overall: Just a terrific, basic....beer. Nothing to put in your journal, just something to look forward too at the end of the day....

Ein Prosit!!!

*American OWNED that is...

4.63/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Easily one of my top 3 favorite beers. Beautiful beer from start to finish. Nice pour. Collects a little (and I mean little) sediment in the bottle if the course of a few days in the fridge, but didn't effect tasting. I can't think of much that could be done to improve this, aside from moving it out of the seasonal catagory, and over to year-round "Brewmaster's collection."

4.55/5  rDev +26.4%

Twelve ounce bottle freshness dated for july 2012, Brewmaster's Collection.

Pours clouded lemon yellow body with nice but short lasting white head. Not much lacing. Scent is lemon grass. Taste is zingy lemon, citrus, honey. A little bit acidic, but very nice overall.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Poured this beer from a 24 oz. bottle into a large mug. I've only seen it in the store for about a week, so it's pretty fresh. "Best by" is June 2012.

A: Cloudy orange, bright white head. Looks like a beer you can gulp, and I did, more than once.

S: Bready, yeasty smell, some light hops. Very fragrant.

T: Absolutely delicious!!! I took one mouthful, smiled, then took two more gulps. So good. I almost can't be that specific; all I know is it was gone it ten minutes. When I was done, I wanted more. Little hops flavor, but it's there enough to counteract the yeasty profile. Blue Moon's older, smarter, cooler, hotter sister.

M: Light on the palate, sweet/sour taste from the unfiltered yeast.

O: I cannot wait to buy a case of this. When it was gone, I wanted more. I could drink 5 or six of these. I wasn't even planning to review it, but I had to after I drank it. Sooo good. I would buy this year-round (**hint-hint** BBC).

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Samuel Adams Alpine Spring from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)