Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by jsh420 on 12-29-2011

3.6

Ratings: 1,999 |  Reviews: 449
2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours like a hefeweizen, deep orange, extremely cloudy, thick 2 finger head that cuts in half and retains well.

S - Hoppy forefront, little crisp wheat freshness underneath. Not much going on in the smell, fairly weak. Faint notes of fruit beneath.

T - Strong hop character, mild wheat behind. Mostly just a jumble, nothing seems to stand out. Several unidentifiable flavors in this. Supposed to sense apricot, but I really don't sense much besides hops, waxy bitterness and a confused ball of half-flavors. Not very impressed.

M - Thick, creamy, but crisp. If there were a version of this with a good flavor, I'd drink it all day.

O - I probably won't drink this again. I'm finding it hard to see the appeal. None of my favorite wibier characteristics mixed with none of my favore IPA characteristics... the worst of both worlds. It's not a bad beer necessarily, it just seems to be trying to go in several directions at once and never reaches it's destination. I'm hoping if I do drink it again I can get something I missed this time, because the idea of this beer sounds great. The execution just seems a little sloppy

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

I find it interesting to observe how Samuel Adams went from having no ipas to several experimental ipa brews in the past couple of years. Some have been good others not as good, in particular an intresting thing is the different color versions of the ipas. This one pours clearer then most ipas this day has a bubbly white head. Smell is strong of hops and fruit. Taste is a moderately hoppy ipa with an apricot finish. The mouthfeel is sudsy and crisp. I kind of like the taste, not my favorite apricot infused ipa though, but not bad either.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

This claims that its brewed with apricot and spice so I was a bit apprehensive but found this to be a very well flavored and enjoyable beer. I would not have thought that apricot fruitiness would offset hoppy bitterness but the two compliment each other quite well. This had a very light yellow cloudy coloring and a significant pine scent but it excels in flavor. I highly recommend this unusual but tasty IPA.

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Honestly, I really like the idea of Wit Beer crossed with IPA. Seems like a good match, but of the few I've tried most were a bit disappointing. Not because they were bad beers, but because they didn't match up to what I envisioned them to be. Too much Wit, not enough IPA. Whitewater delivers where others have failed in that regard. Hazy orange, as I would expect. Zesty citrus aroma. Orange peel, grapefruit and a touch of pine. An almost abrasive, pithy flavour. Piney, slightly dank, slightly fruity. Overall rather dry and quite bitter. While the label states that the beer was brewed with apricots I'm having difficulty picking them out. Perhaps there is a bit of a fruity undercurrent in the middle of the sip, but the citrus flavours from the hops and I'm guessing orange peal must be drowning it out. This is a great beer, I'm enjoying it very much.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)