Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: American IPA

Added by jsh420 on 12-29-2011

3.6

Ratings: 1,999 |  Reviews: 449

3.22/5  rDev -10.6%

Had this beer at the Amesbury Beer Festival on Sep 22 2012.

Most of the beers were served from bottles into small 3oz plastic pixie cups.

Although I took notes on the 20+ different beers that I tried, it is difficult to remember all of the details associated with each beer. My apologies to readers of these notes. However, I did pay attention to my overall scores, and noted what I thought were unique positives and negatives w/ each beer.

Note that for me:
< 2.5 = probably would not finish the beer
3.0 = drinkable beer, but likely would not buy again or look for
>3.5 = will try to buy again in the future

Claimed to add the crisp wheat character of a belgian white ale. I could not tell this. Reminded me of a W.Coast IPA (which I love), but this was overly bitter. Seemed somewhat unrefined.

4.75/5  rDev +31.9%

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%

A moderate pour yielded an impressive looking two fluffy fingers of head over a nice yellow-orange body. Lots of sediment noted. Lacing puts up a nice attempt at clinging to the side of the glass, keeps a light sheet the whole time.

Pine and grapefruit mesh well together in the nose. Light grass and hints of malt are also available if you search for them.

Taste is nice and bitter but generic. Grapefruit and pine are the usual suspects. Bit of malt sweetness toward the end before the bitter finish.

Body is light to medium. Washes down nice and quickly. Refreshing yet drying.

1.7/5  rDev -52.8%

I have had this 2 times in a bottle.

A the apperance is more of a ligth clowded gold color.

Smells hoppy just like a IPA should.

T is a very citrusy taste then you get the hos with it also.

M it has the usual IPA hop taste but then you get the over bearing citrus taste.

O you have to really love IPA's on this one and I do love IPA's but the citrus taste just kills it I will never drink this again after my second try on it.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

3.78/5  rDev +5%

Fresh bottle from Premier Gourmet. Some hoppy aroma. Significant apricot finish that diffuses the hop bite. Cloudy yellow with lots of foam and lace. Smooth mouthfeel, decent drinkability. Tasty, not an off note but something different and worth the experiment. Significant IBU.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Very attractive dark gold color in the New Belgium snifter, with a head of rich foam. Well carbonated on the tongue, but has a more prickly than creamy sensation.

The apricot flavor is subtle, but it has a smooth fruity ear, like there was a dose of clear fruit brandy in it. This is definitely more bitter than the Dogfish Head Aprihop. Whitewater is a little lighter and crisper as well, but also a couple notches lower in strength.

On the whole, this is hugely flavorful, richly hopped while staying shy of over-biterness, yet light and drinkable. Another understated win for Sam Adams. Admit it, you'd love this if it was brewed by your favorite five-barrel brewpub.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

This was a real surprise in the SA IPA for the sake of IPA pack. Some of the things in the pack just were not enough of an IPA to call them that, but I don't care what you call this one, I like it.

It has a complex yet easy drinking not-quite over the top AIPA aroma, taste and aftertaste. After about 5 sips I can taste the apricot (I love apricots). It works. And it just gets better as you drink it.

I think I have seen sixes or twelves of just this brew and I may pick some up some time.

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)