Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Ratings: 1,999 |  Reviews: 449

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

2.69/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer should not be labeled an IPA. It is a wheat beer with hops. I saw this new offering at my gas station, saw IPA, and decided to give it a try. It wasnt poured, straight from bottle, but still got the gist of it.

As an IPA lover, I have to call this one false advertisement. Putting a hint of hops into a wheat beer does not an IPA make. Id drink this again if it were free, sadly I cant get my 10 bucks back though. Id only recommend this to wheat beer enthusiasts who like a bit of hops too.

If youre an IPA drinker expecting a good hop experience, head the other way.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy amber with two fingers of eggshell head. Clouds of lacing. Still has some head more than half way to the finish.
Smell is pine oil with a touch of cat spray. Also a slight citrus component.
Taste is a monotone of bitterness. Likely a combination of the multiple hop varieties and the corriander. No hint of the apricots.
Mouthfeel is full with enough carbonation a dry bitter finish.
Overall I did enjoy this beer in spite of my comments. The relentless bitterness was a bit much though. This was a quite fresh bottle so I will probably save one for a few months and do another tasting then.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very nice cloudy yellow color, nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger creamy white head, with lots of sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy, slightly yeasty, kinda fruity. The taste is a unique blend of hops and yeast notes, slightly malty, with some fruit notes. Medium body, with a nice bitter finish. Overall a very tasty brew, exactly what I would expect from SA.

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

General - This beer was from a bottle with a best buy date of August 2013. I poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass (I'm still on the border about this) thinking that it was a traditional IPA, not the case. This is a wheat ale with american hops, not a traditional IPA as I believed originally, had I read the bottle closer before I may have chosen a different glass.

Appearance - The cloudiness is expected from a wheat beer but with the IPA label it was surprising. The head was white and held very well. The glass had legs continuing throughout the glass as I was enjoying it.

Smell - There are some light citrus scents in the front but a grass scent that comes near the end. There is a slight touch of pine in the initial smelling but it seemed to diminish quickly as the tasting proceeded.

Taste - Interesting and surprising when expecting an IPA. This is clearly more of a wheat beer than and IPA. There is a distinct coriander hit up front on the palate which is an interesting combination with the orange flavor. The orange is very slight, you need to be looking for it to notice it. The combination seems to me to be more of a grassy flavor, faint but distinctly grassy.

Mouthfeel - Moderately light mouthfeel with a refreshing finish. A touch bitter on the finish as expected from a wheat ale.

Overall - As an American Wheat Hybrid (6D for BJCP folks) it is a good example. It meets the requirements of the category very well but has IPA on it's label. it completely through me off at the beginning when I hadn't read the entire label. I got this beer in the "Hopology" pack and I'm not sure that it belongs in there. It's hop forward for a wheat, but by no means it is IPA hop forward.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)