Cinder Bock | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Cinder BockCinder Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Rauchbier

Added by Jason on 01-09-2012

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

4.74/5  rDev +28.8%

bomber 22 oz. bottle poured into 22 oz. glass, head meant not enough room for entire serving.

appearance - dark brown, little light passed through the poured clear glass. A mildly careful but fast angled pour yielded a 3/4 inch tan (very light at top, medium khaki at the bottom) head, a little lace as the beer was drank. Most beers would have yielded more head if I were to pour them this fast.

smell - I could get technical, but really, it smells like a bock, or more like a doppelbock/doublebock.

taste - see smell notes. It tastes like other good bocks and doppelbocks/doublebocks. The high alcohol content wasn't tasted though; it went down easily enough that I thought it was weaker.

mouthfeel - thick, but not real heavy. To say silky would be too light, to say more like satin would still be light. People think of fabrics for some reason... Imagine a gel-filled computer keyboard wrist rest with a satin outer surface. In other words, smooth with some but not a lot of weight. My beer vocabulary sucks, but this is what's in my head when I think of this beer's mouthfeel.

overall - This is a good bock that tastes like a good doppelbock/doublebock. The large bottle and high abv got me buzzed. I am incapable of dazzling you with expert tasting notes, but I can at least say, it's a really good bock, and worth the price I paid.

Thank you Beeradvocate for maintaining this site. It's valuable to me and very much appreciated.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.27/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

great brew. High ABV and you can definetely taste it. I have not had any true Rauchbiers but this one tastes like a great cross betweens SA doublebock and Wee Heavy, which I freaking love. The smoke is there, not overpowering like in a wee heavy but enough to give the beer a nice flavor. I let this brew sit out 1 hour before I drank it and it was very tasty.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Cinder Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)