Grumpy Monk | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Grumpy MonkGrumpy Monk

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by jzeilinger on 04-15-2012

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served out of the 12oz bottle at room temperature.

Appearance. Great head retention. Off white head, tight bubbles with lots of retention and belgian lace. Light amber, dark yellow color. It look great in a glass. Belgian lace sticks throughout the entire drink!

Smell. Banana smell, spice, citrus aroma, like a hoppy heffe. Smells great.

Taste. Spicy, light caramel, citrusy aftertaste that sticks for a long time.

Mouthfeel. Nice, full mouth fee;. Fizzy, full carbonation.

Overall. Underrated beer. Complexity in smell, taste, and a phenomenal aftertaste. Wonderful!

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: A pale amber having good clarity and an off-white head. The head is long lasting and made of compact bubbles that leave a light bit of Belgian lace on the glass.

S: Moderately-strong Belgian yeast aromas of oranges, peaches and clove with moderate hops aromas that are mostly earthy and pine with a light note of citrus. I want the hops to be stronger and dry hopped myself.

T: The flavor is fairly balance between the hops, malt and the yeast character with a moderate hops bitterness and earth hops flavor with a lower amount of citrus and pine hop flavors. The yeast brings mostly a peppery though slightly clove spiciness to the beer along with some fruitiness that is again orange and peach with maybe a bit of banana. There is a moderate malt sweetness that is almost stronger than the bitterness with a light caramel flavor. The balance is moderately bitter. The finish is off-dry and the aftertaste is of citrus and hops bitterness.

M: Notably creamy with a medium to medium-full bodied with a moderate-strong level of carbonation.

O: There isn't as much hops as I'd like for an IPA but it is balanced and malty whereas I like them a with an assertive amount of hops and somewhat unbalance so I can't knock it on points because it's still well with in style.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

A-amber with a creamy stable head

S-fake Belgian sugars and pale Belgian malts. Smells like a micro brewpub's attempt at a Belgian.

T-comes in with an okay flavor of slightly bitter and slightly raw pale Belgian grains and sugars. It's a simple but decent flavor. After-taste is grainy and a bit aged. It works.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a watery finish

O-I would say this is an okay attempt at a Belgian pale ale, though I wouldn't apply the term IPA to this. I've noticed Samuel Adams doesn't attempt Belgians too often, but I'd say this is a fair start. Go out and try this.

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I had high hopes for this beer as it has a fantastic name. It's a decent brew and I lean more toward the high good rating. If you are a fan of this style, this is a good brew that I would recommend as an everyday brew. It is not to the standards of Pirate Ale but it is also not at that price point.

It really looked great in my Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Great color and decent lacing. Smell is piney but could use more hops in smell and taste. This is a B-IPA that improves as it warms. It's much more balanced a bit warner. I would also prefer some more carbonation for the mouthfeel.

I'm glad I tracked this down and if they offered it in a 6 pack, I'd buy it from time to time. I'd love to have a poster of this label. Kudus to Sammy for keeping their stuff interesting and putting out different brews.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Grumpy Monk in their Hopology pack last week for $14.99 at Meijers. It's been a while since I've had a Belgian IPA and it's sounding pretty good tonight, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice and it has a picture of a grumpy burly monk starting at an empty glass, it goes nicely with the name. It poured a fairly clear and nice looking golden yellow color that took on a slight amber hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice and sticky lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with higher amount of sweetness and is followed by a lot of Belgian yeast that imparts a nice aroma with some spices, mainly cloves sticking out, and some nice banana and bubblegum like aromas. The hops barely show up and are pretty overpowered by the yeast and only impart a light earthy and slightly citrus like hop flavors. This beer had a nice aroma, but i wish that the hops showed up more then they did.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has some slight honey and toffee flavors to it and it followed by some slightly bready malts and loads of Belgian yeast that impart a heavy spiced clove flavors followed by some nice banana and bubblegum flavors. On the finish the hops barely show up and impart a light earthy and slightly citrus hop flavor with a lighter amount of bitterness and a Belgian yeast like aftertaste with cloves sticking out the most. The beer tasted ok, but the Belgian yeast was a little too dominating and I wish the hops added more flavors and bitterness to this beer.

M- Pretty smooth, a little creamy, medium bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was slightly prickly. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer, but I didn't think it was a great example of a Belgian IPA, the Belgian yeast was just too dominating and it didn't let enough hoppy flavors and bitterness come through for this beer to live up to it's name. This beer had good drinkability, it wasn't too filling and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, If I was in the mood for Belgian beers I can see drinking a couple of these, but two would probably be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and the mouthfeel, they were both good and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was how weak the hop profile was, this beer needs more hop flavors and aromas and more bitterness to live up to its name. I might buy a single of this if it's released on it's own, but I wouldn't buy a six pack and I would recommend it to anyone who like beers with Belgian yeast. All in all I liked this beer, but I was let down that it wasn't as hoppy as I thought it should be, if your going to call your beer a Belgian IPA then there should be a good amount of hops in it. With some work and more hops this could be a good beer but as it stands now it's not the best Belgian IPA, better luck next time guys.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours the color of a gold brick, with a one-finger off-white head. Small patches of lacing.

S - Whoa...a lot more "Belgian" than I would have expected from an SA product. The yeasts really stand out. Nice blend of banana, clove, spicy hops, and a hint of toffee sweetness. Nice.

T - Starts off with a toffee malt underbody, some citrus fruitiness, but...then a really bad oxidized mineral taste kicks in and obliterates every other taste characteristic. Finishes with sort of a tangy/moldy bleu cheese flavor along with some residual fruitiness and a hint of barnyard. All flavors harsh and jarring rather than smooth. The oxidation really ruined this for me.

M - Pretty light bodied, with standard Sam Adams prickly carbonation. Finishes dry.

O - What could be a good beer here is buried by strange oxidation. Nowhere near the finer examples of the style. Not a fan.

3.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into St Bernardus chalice.
Best by June 3013

A - Pours a clear orange copper with a creamy eggshell head. Below average head retention.

S - Yeasty, spicy medicinal phenolics, citrus hops, cloves, banana, bubblegum, sweet malt.

T - Spicy yeast, peppery bitterness, bubblegum, pine and herbal hops coat the tongue. Tangy oranges, hints of lemon, earthy wood, the malt has a light candy-like sweetness to it. Finishes herbal and spicy with clove on the aftertaste.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation,

This one doesn't hold back on the spices. Good Belgian yeast strain provides lots of character. Nice mix of hops as well. A nice addition to the lineup.

4.54/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm surprised this beer has gotten such a low rating - I wonder if it because it is Sam Adams its held to different standards? I think that this beer is top notch - its an IPA that is extremely palatable as well as complex

The mouthfeel is beautifully smooth with citrus and earthy hops combined with the Belgian yeast that gives it a good spicyness. It's rounded out with a heavy hand of hops for an IPA (perhaps more traditional European IPA than what we in the states view as IPA). I really enjoyed this beer and highly recommend it, especially if you are looking for a beer with a lot of flavor and complexity.

Grumpy Monk from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)