Verloren | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

VerlorenVerloren
3.44/5
Okay
VerlorenVerloren

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

1.75/5  rDev -49.1%

2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

2.27/5  rDev -34%

So there are a few things I've managed to glean about Gose. It should be tart -- traditionally due to spontaneous fermentation, and later due to lactobacillus or addition of lactic acid. It should have a least some salt characteristic, sources vary whether that was due to the brewing water or due to additions, but there should be at the very least a hint of salinity on the tongue.

I bought this beer because I was tremendously excited that Sam Adams was going to try a Gose. Especially since my kegs of the homebrewed variety are gone, I thought it might be nice that Sam Adams was bringing this style back to the public. Basically everyone who ever tasted my Gose was a fan, and so if SA brewed a good example, it could catch on and the style might be revived commercially here in the US.

Sadly, they've missed the mark, badly. I don't pick up a hint of tartness in this beer. Not a hint. I don't think they even attempted to get any sourness in it at all. Second, I don't pick up any salt. None.

To me, this tastes like an American Wheat beer with a dash of coriander added. Nowhere near what Gose should be. (This isn't to say that it's not a well-brewed American Wheat w/ coriander, but that it's just simply not a Gose.)

I'm sad I bought three bottles of this.

2.4/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

Sat in my local store for over a year before I bought it I know because it always interested me not knowing the style. It smelled like soy sauce. Tasted of bad minerals dry salty aftertaste but from coriander taste not literal salt although it is brewed with it. If fresh I'd like to try the style again. But this maybe from sitting and aging was a drain pour

2.45/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Drinkable... Will never try again.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

Served from a 1 pint .6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap into a conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low; I didn't even like the gose I tried in Leipzig.

A: Pours a 4.5 finger head of beige colour, fair cream and thickness, and good retention. Colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Salts, yeast, clean malts, biscuit, dough, and pasta-ey notes. Strange but weirdly welcoming. An average strength aroma.

T: Sea salt, clean malts, sour-esque notes like wild bacteria, clean barley, background pale vaguely floral hopping, lactic notes, and wheat. Strange, but fairly enjoyable. Imbalanced. The salt makes the climax weird.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with needed coarseness throughout. A bit too thick and somewhat syrupy, like the slick liquid left in a brandy glass. Viscous I guess. Carbonation is off.

Dr: Drinkable but strange. Far from Sam Adams' best beer. I don't care much for it. A strange beer in a strange style. Will I ever like gose beers?

D+

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

Verloren from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)