Verloren | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

VerlorenVerloren
Liked This Beer
3.44 w/ 416 ratings
VerlorenVerloren

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Gose

Added by Jason on 04-17-2012

Liked:
3.44/5
Alströms:

3.87/5  rDev +12.5%

22 ounce bottle - $5.98 at Sherlock's in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clouded, dark amber-gold body with a short-lived, whitish head.

Smell: Sweetish, spicy, from the honey and caramel coated wheat and cereal grains and the coriander and continental hops.

Taste: Honey atop malted wheat with an added edge of sweet caramel squares. Pinch of ground salt. Then, a bit of spiciness from the German hops, followed by a nice bite from the coriander. Muddled citrus character. Small fruity hints of tart pear and yellow apples. Also some light banana. Remains malty through to the end with final pops of salt, spice, and sweetness on the soft finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Smooth wheat character.

Overall: Tasty, with a cheerful approachability as all the flavors plan very nicely with each other.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a large white head. The aroma has a lot of wheat and lemons in it, as well as some salt. The flavor has some toffee and biscuit malt. There is also a bit of saltiness and some very light tartness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. I haven't had a lot of goses, but this one was as good or better than the other ones I have tried.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at BevMo a while ago.

Appearance- amber color, nice head but dissipates quickly

Smell- citrus, spices

Taste- citrus, spices, very nice flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good. It was my first gose and I was impressed.

3.35/5  rDev -2.6%

It's nice to see Samuel Adams resurrecting some rarely brewed styles. Poured into Chimay glass. Appearance is a slightly cloudy orange with dense white layer of head. The head retains a thin layer and leaves a decent bit of lacing. The nose features candied oranges, coriander, wheat, apricots, and a wave of citric tartness. The taste delivers most of what the nose promises with wave of orange and fruit. This dries out rather quick and becomes slightly tart with a salty finish. There are some hops that come to play as well toawards the finish as well as an unpleasant bitterness. The mouthfeel is somewhat full bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall, this is only the second Gose I have tried, but it seems to have some off flavors going on. It reminds me of some of the homebrew-gone-wrong flavors I have experience. It is worth a try to experience this style, but overall, I don't see my self going back to this brew.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

poured from bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance: Golden amber color with a slight haze, not quite clear. About three fingers of white head that lasted sveral minutes leaving some mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Light smelling, sweet smells. Citrus and maybe pineapple?? Smell was hard to detect, it was not a overpowering smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: I would say it is a medium bodied, heading towards a full bodied. It is smooth but thicker feeling, almost sticky. Taste was good, sweet with maybe some wheat in the backround. Slaty, but not too bad.

Overall: Glad I tried this beer, it was worth the experiance and was quite enjoyable. How ever I would like to try a few more Gose before saying too much. This was my second one, and I hear this style is making a comeback.

3.42/5  rDev -0.6%

22oz bomber poured into a weizen glass.

Pours a hazy dark orange with a one finger white head. Not much in the way of head retention and lacing.

Aroma of citrus and coriander. Pineapple is quite predominant.

The flavor starts out with citrus along with a peppery spicyness and a distinctive iced tea flavor. The lemony tastes helps this stand out. A little bit of yeast flavor reminiscent of a hefe along with a touch of salt. The saltiness is very light but it is there. Mouthfeel is fairly full with a sticky finish.

Overall, this is just an ok beer. It is the only Gose I have sampled so I don't have much to compare it to, but I was expecting more salt and more tartness. It really seem like a lower quality wheat beer.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

The Verloren Gose Beer from Sammy A is another fine creation. The corander comes through in both the scent and taste. The beer poured a nice golden yellowinto my slender cylinder glass. There was a puffy white head that does appear to be leaving some lace. The body is a medium to light with good carbonation. Overall its pretty good.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

Served from a 1 pint .6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap into a conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low; I didn't even like the gose I tried in Leipzig.

A: Pours a 4.5 finger head of beige colour, fair cream and thickness, and good retention. Colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Salts, yeast, clean malts, biscuit, dough, and pasta-ey notes. Strange but weirdly welcoming. An average strength aroma.

T: Sea salt, clean malts, sour-esque notes like wild bacteria, clean barley, background pale vaguely floral hopping, lactic notes, and wheat. Strange, but fairly enjoyable. Imbalanced. The salt makes the climax weird.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with needed coarseness throughout. A bit too thick and somewhat syrupy, like the slick liquid left in a brandy glass. Viscous I guess. Carbonation is off.

Dr: Drinkable but strange. Far from Sam Adams' best beer. I don't care much for it. A strange beer in a strange style. Will I ever like gose beers?

D+

2.27/5  rDev -34%

So there are a few things I've managed to glean about Gose. It should be tart -- traditionally due to spontaneous fermentation, and later due to lactobacillus or addition of lactic acid. It should have a least some salt characteristic, sources vary whether that was due to the brewing water or due to additions, but there should be at the very least a hint of salinity on the tongue.

I bought this beer because I was tremendously excited that Sam Adams was going to try a Gose. Especially since my kegs of the homebrewed variety are gone, I thought it might be nice that Sam Adams was bringing this style back to the public. Basically everyone who ever tasted my Gose was a fan, and so if SA brewed a good example, it could catch on and the style might be revived commercially here in the US.

Sadly, they've missed the mark, badly. I don't pick up a hint of tartness in this beer. Not a hint. I don't think they even attempted to get any sourness in it at all. Second, I don't pick up any salt. None.

To me, this tastes like an American Wheat beer with a dash of coriander added. Nowhere near what Gose should be. (This isn't to say that it's not a well-brewed American Wheat w/ coriander, but that it's just simply not a Gose.)

I'm sad I bought three bottles of this.

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dense cadmium-tangerine pour has a strong sense of micro-bubble effervesce. Thick marshmellow fluff head is light cream in color showing some sturdiness while providing a good amount of thin skim lace on the vessel.

S: Sour oranges, malted wheat, alcohol and some caramel coated weedery come on the nose. Butterscotch sweetness and doughnut batter can also be had.

T: The flavor had a very light sour malted wheat backing, considerly less then its german counterparts. A sweetness of caramel and butterscotch with a helping of banana and pear perhaps from the yeast. Sea salt is detectable, mineral touch of dryness and some green vegetal matter is present. Caramel toast and a spicy finish of pepper and dried green pear with a hint of lactic acid.

M: Mouthful was smooth, creamy body with a medium consistency, dry.

O: Overall a nice flavor. Not as pronounced as say a zeipziger, but rather a drinkable introduction into the style.

3.94/5  rDev +14.5%

Golden-brown light colored body, pretty clear.

Pleasant dryish nose, with that kinda note that I can't quite place. Kinda floral.

Lightish with some corny malt and an interesting fresh-sushi type note (which I think is the souring plus coriander). Weird, but works pretty well. Light and refreshing.

Bright and relatively crisp.

Nice gose, I actually quite like it, and not as expensive as others. Good way to get exposed to the style.

3.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Malty aroma has firm fruity and yeasty notes. It pours a clear golden amber with a fairly thick, if not too persistent, off-white head. Flavor has a malty core with subtle notes of apple and banana and a hoppy, but not bitter, undertone. Or is that coriander? I get a touch of that. Salt? Well, a teeny bit of salt. Salt in beer? That’s the most unheard-of thing I’ve ever heard. Ha ha. (Or tasted.) OK, enough being a wisenheimer. Smooth texture has firm body and a fair bit of fizz, leaving a rather persistent tingle on the lips and tongue. I hope that Samuel Adams keeps us this series.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%

Aroma: Wheat malt light sourness, strong coriander. Some spiciness from malt.
Appearance: Pours huge fluffy off white head. Golden orange in color, crystal clear. Nice lacing.
Flavor: Bready and wheat malts, light sourness continues from aroma. Coriander dominates. Medium bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Very dry finish. Medium high carbonation. Some alcohol warmth.
Overall: A nice refreshing beer, would be a great beer to have several of if it was lower alcohol. Very interesting, I commend Samuel Adams for taking on some of these rare styles.

Verloren from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 30.5% out of 100 with 416 ratings