Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Verloren | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

VerlorenVerloren
3.44/5
Okay
VerlorenVerloren

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Gose

Added by Jason on 04-17-2012

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%

S: Floral with lost of coriander, slight spiciness.

L: Hazy golden orange, carbonated white head with decent retention. Good lacing.

T: Fairly strong coriander floralness with a fairly clean malt flavor. Low bitterness leading to additional floralness and fairly clean malt profile.

M: Medium, creamy body. Medium low carbonation.

Interesting. Very strong coriander forward. Didn't really detect the salt.

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

Bomber poured into a snifter
This is my first Gose, no idea what to expect.

A- Pours extremely hazy orange with a one finger of quickly dissipating head. Nice visible carbonation.

S- Smell is very wheaty and fairly hoppy. At first sniff I would guess wheat beer but there's a subtle american hop character of citrus fruit. This beer also has a unique spiciness to it, a very unique smelling brew.

T- Taste is rather light and definitely wheat focused. That american hop character is here giving a light citrus tone. This beer has a nice peppery spiciness that really gives it a little something extra. Its a really refreshing flavor but its a light flavor. The salt comes through a little in this one as well.

M- This is a refreshing and easy to drink brew. It has nice carbonation and is super smooth. Aftertaste is dry and wheaty, I could enjoy this on any occasion.

O- I was not expecting much out of this beer to be honest, mostly because its a very uncommon style of beer and usually that's for a good reason. I really enjoyed this beer, it was not as strange as I was expecting and I wish more breweries would have a go at this style because I think it's untouched territory. I think this would be a good candidate for 6 packs and I think if there was a bigger version of this beer that it would be a real killer for bombers. Still I recommend you try it out.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a slightly hazy caramel brown color with a frothy one inch cream head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

Aroma is fairly fruity, apricot, wheat, then sweet bready caramel. There's a bit of lactic funk and coriander.

Flavor has a citrus twang, with a strong wheat presence and a very bready, caramel, toasted malt backbone. Coriander and pepper add a subtle complexity. There's a bit of a mineral taste that lingers. Subtle herbal hops are reminiscent of tea.

Body is moderate, with fairly high carbonation.

Overall, an interesting experimental brew. Never had an example of this style, so comparisons are not possible. Pretty simple flavors, though.

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a hazy orangish gold color with a two finger white head which recedes to edging and leaves a few fingers of lace left on the glass. The aroma is of malt up front and then a nice big corriander aroma with a hint of salt at the end. The aroma is inviting. The taste follows suit. The base is off malt. After the malt the corriander takes the show as the main flavor. After the corriander comes a slight hint of salt. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall it is a solid beer, it is an easy drink and refreshing. It is a good beer worth a try for sure.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 1.5" off-white head of medium lifespan. The body is a lovely slightly hazed golden orange. The mild smell is malt, coriander, and if salt has an actual smell I think I do get that, too. Taste is mild and mirrors the smell, and the salt expresses in the medium long finish. All in all I found this quite enjoyable though it's certainly not a powerhouse. From a marketing standpoint, I don't see why this beer is nicknamed "The Lost Beer", because coriander and salt as well as the hops and malts used are by no means lost ingredients omitted from contemporary beer.

Hazy Orange hue with a massive sticky head that slowly crawls down the glass.

Very soapy nose. Not much else. Touch of coriander and wheat.

Very interesting beer. Definitely a brininess to it. Lots of coriander. Touch of wheatiness. Slightly sour. Some soapy flavors. There's a certain rustic quality along with a certain fruit flavor I can't seem to pin down. Medium in body and carbonation. Very unique and not bad at all.

Finish does build up a certain soapiness though

3.75/5  rDev +9%

3.13/5  rDev -9%

22 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a somewhat hazy goldenrod with a medium white head, solid lace.

S: Citrus, some wheat malt, coriander, somewhat yeasty.

T: Coriander and bready wheaty malt. Some light salt flavour at the end, but it's hard to get to. Hopping is very light.

M: Light-bodied, crisp carbonation, salty aftertaste at point.

O: Not as good as other goses I've had in the past, Casacade springs to mind. The salt and uniqueness of this style really doesn't come out with this effort. Not a bad beer and drinkable, but I just wanted something more interesting.

3.32/5  rDev -3.5%

Not usually a fan of Samuel Adams but their line of rare beers are interesting to say the least. Gose is a style that I was not familiar with prior to tasting this so I can't compare it to others but salt was definitely an ingredient that had me interested. Poured into my Samuel Adams 25th Anniversary glass.

A - Pours a SLIGHTLY hazy brown gold color with a mountain of foam. This foam is interesting because as I swirl it slowly, the foam leaves a trail on the BOTTOM of the head as if it's moving in slow motion. I'm assuming this is due to the salt as I've never seen this nor have I seen a beer with salt. Regardless, the head takes a long time to fade.

S - Interestingly enough, there's almost nothing here. Faint notes of coriander but otherwise, nothing.

T - Bitterness is negligible in this one. Coriander dominates and the malt comes in very late. Almost immediately after I taste the coriander, my mouth begins to salivate. Hmm... Could that be... Salt? Yes it is and it's an interesting taste for a beer. Although I expected salt, it didn't occur to me that a beer could actually be salty. This one is though it's far from "too salty".

M - Moderately light body. Medium to high carbonation. No alcohol warming.

Fairly impressed with this one. Like I said, I have nothing to compare it to but Gose is a style I'd delve into in the future. If you've never tried a Gose, I'd recommend it as salt is something I haven't tasted in any other style ever. I didn't detect any sourness as I've seen attributed to this style.

Side note:
Bottle lists hops as Saaz and Noble Hops. Malt are 2-row pale, Munich malt, malted and unmalted wheat.

3.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a bottle into a weisse vase, the beer is a hazy, honey-gold coloring with a light, fluffy, white head that quickly settles out into a filmy coating. Aromas of toasted wheat, lemon, butter, and a slight pepper spicing. Flavors of light roasting, with a slightly sour aromatic highlight along the roof of the mouth. Sour notes, with a subtle coriander spicing on the end of the palate. Floral highlights, and a touch of the buttered toast characteristics. The aftertaste is tangy and slightly sour, with a slick and tangy finish. Solid body, with a sparse lacing throughout. Tasty brew.

3.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, high carbonation, orange-gold yellow in color, clear

Smell: orange, wheat, and citrus

Taste: orange, wheat, citrus, and salt at the end

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, sweet with a salty aftertaste, medium-high carbonation

Overall: I really appreciate Sam Adams or anyone tackling this style. That said this tastes like a Leinie's Sunset Wheat with a salty aftertaste. The salt I find to be the most interesting thing about this beer and wish it was more present. Not a bad beer, but I think this could use a bit more refining. There have been more complex and better beers in the small batch series.

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Been intrigued for a while, and finally pulled the trigger.

Pour is translucent orange. Initial small head fades to a ring. Hm the smell. Interesting smell for sure. Not really sure what to make of it. Im getting some earthy stuff, and a hint of saltiness.

Interesting taste for sure. I mean its undercarbonated and feels salty. Its the strangest thing when my tongue feels like I just ate the bottom of the potato chip bag (loads of salt). Earthy malt backbone tries to take over, but I cant get over the salty feeling.

Maybe its the style, but Im not feeling it here. Its interesting for sure, and the saltiness is a welcome surprise.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

3.68/5  rDev +7%

This is an interesting beer. I've had Gose style beers previously, although not enough to be intimate with the style. This one is a slightly hazy bronze-gold color with a negligible head. The aroma has a wheat twang and notable spice (coriander) and distant citrus peel. The taste is a little sweeter than expected, with more bitterness as well. Lingering peppery, bitter flavors are central to the taste. I look for salt in the taste, but only catch it in the finish, with a sensation on the tongue. It's full in body, and very interesting. It's not a beer that I'd have regularly, though.

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Weizen glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy orangish-amber with dense, frothy white head, and very bubbly lacing.

Smell: Lots of wheat, with some mild coriander. Sharply acidic and salty, with some light tartness.

Taste: Huge wheat taste, with a strong acidity and mild tartness. A touch of coriander and salt on the finish, which makes me want to keep drinking.

Feel: Medium body that is fuller than expected. Carbonation is lower than a Hefeweizen would be. Finish is dry, crisp and refreshing.

Overall: Never had a Gose, so can't really comment on how well it fits the style. However, this mainly just seems like an American Wheat with some coriander and salt. Ultimately, this means that it is very refreshing, but not very memorable.

3.46/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours medium gold with a slight head (although quite substantive early on), with white ring retention.

Smells a bit too much like all SA brew. Malt, with some sweetness, a little grain.

A little sweet grain up front. Dries out a bit. I kinda get the coriander, and I definitely get the salt right at the end, which I really like and appreciate. Light bitterness. Soft beer. This seems like generic SA brew with some nuances. Touches bump this above 3.0.

Soft brew, mild carbonation.

Overall, liked this far more at the beginning than the end. An ok brew but nothing like the other traditional brew version I've had.

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Verloren from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)