Norse Legend Sahti | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Norse Legend SahtiNorse Legend Sahti

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Sahti

Added by jneiswender on 01-17-2012

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

Me and my friend were required to brew a Sahti for a home brew competition we were entering, so we saw this on the shelf and decided to give it a try. I must say I was pleasantly surprised as I thought this beer was going to be awful. It pours in a dark gold murky color that is somewhere in between good and ugly. I really did not like the smell it was funky as hell. Medium-low head which is actually too much head for this style which is supposed to be served flat. Taste was of malty juniper with maybe a little spice from some rye grain. It was surprisingly refreshing and left a clean feeling in your mouth. This beer goes down super easy for something with a 7% ABV. There are some subtle hops detected, i think a noble verity, which I enjoyed and obviously increased the shelf life but again traditionally there is supposed to be no hops and the beer drank within a month after it is brewed, but I realize that would be a money losing endeavor for anywhere outside Finland. Also I think the flavor got better as the beer warmed. Give this beer a try it is totally different and pretty good.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Umm...whoa. Pours a downright murky copper color with a TON of sediment. Seriously, my glass looks like a snow globe. Man, I hope this is normal for this style. Two-finger eggshell colored head. Really good ringlets of lacing.

S - Very mild aroma. What is there is mostly a mineral/salty smell, with a hint of juniper. Faint toffee/caramel odor lurking underneath.

T - Toffee and caramel in the nose come forward big time in the taste, making for a pleasant sweetness. Hints of banana, mixed berry, yellow raisin, and crème brulee. Slight toasted woodiness (oak?) in the mid-palate. Juniper lightly present throughout but never overbearing. (I've had winter beers with much more) Overall this is pretty darn tasty.

M - Medium bodied, with lower carbonation. Somewhat creamy. Finishes very "wet".

O - Certainly an odd duck of a beer, but I liked it. I'm not sure if I will be buying it again, but I am really glad I tried/reviewed it.

Norse Legend Sahti from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)