Norse Legend Sahti | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Norse Legend SahtiNorse Legend Sahti
Liked This Beer
3.52 w/ 493 ratings
Norse Legend SahtiNorse Legend Sahti

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

3.52/5
Alströms:
3.2

3.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hmm my first try of this style. It may had been better if I was not in a hotel, with a mostly frozen bottle which foamed heavily on opening. Such is life your not always home when you taste a beer.

It was my first try of the Sahti style and I really did not know what to expect. It is definitely earthy with the citrus and fruity taste they mention on the bottle. I having nothing to compare it to of this style have to say its pretty good in how I would expect something based on juniper to taste Tastes a bit like some of the Imperial stouts I have had.

A bit of woody taste a bit earthy a bit of bite at the end from the citrus and maybe a bit of frozen alcohol since it was frozen. From what I can tell it seems pretty good and I would try it again but maybe next time with one that does not explode in a bath of foam all over the table and computer nearby then I may be able to more faithfully review it...overall glad I bought and tried it and would try again.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.72/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: pours a clear dark copper with a finger of light tan head that fades into a sudsy ring with a little lacing

S: it's difficult to pick out individual aromas in this beer. I get caramel malts and vanilla, Belgian candy sugar, a little lavender, some crystallized ginger and pineapple, and sweet breads.

T: similar to the aroma, it's difficult to pin down the exact flavors I'm tasting. There are Belgian-like spices, caramel malts, vanilla, candy sugar, bread, some sweet floral flavors, and a little ginger.

M: medium-light body with lowish, soda-like carbonation. It feels just a little watery.

O: an interesting and solid beer overall. Sahtis are hardly my specialty, so it's difficult to compare it to other examples of the style, but it was an enjoyable beer overall.

4.44/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Nice rich red/amber color with a nice head

S - Citrusy herbal berry, very nice and pleasing aroma

T - This beer has a nice smooth flavor thats a little bitter but has a nice fruity kick to it.

M - This beer is carbonated well and has good body.

O - Overall I really enjoyed this beer and will have to include this in the rotation.

4.06/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The first thing that hits you as you pour it out is the sharp aroma of brandy, strong and sweet with plenty of fruit undertones. Raisins and light breads smells also come through and there is that slight definitive smell of alcohol. It pours out a dark murky brown color and is topped off with a thin head that quickly forms a small ring around the glass. The lacing is thin but very covers every inch of the glass. It taste is rather surprising, it’s light and tart, very refreshing; it bitter around the edges of the mouth and you can pick up some woody flavors, mild berries. This is a very refreshing find and I’ll definitely be buying this one again.

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle opens with a huge crack and bubbles immediately try to escape, luckily my cat like reflexes got the bottle top into the glass before any product was wasted. Deep clear reddish brown with a huge off white head that takes forever to recede. The aroma is spicy, no shit huh? It doesn't strike me as much different from a Belgian strong dark honestly. Dark caramelized and brown sugars with some dark fruit and a virtual spice rack of aromas that range from nutmeg to coriander to mint. Juniper berries perhaps? The flavor is rich and malty with lots of dark sugary flavor. There's an earthy spicy woody component in there that I can only assume comes from juniper somehow. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet light syrups mouthfeel. Not a bad brew, but honestly not my cup of tea.

4.18/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is the perfect beer for an evening in Skyrim. It struck my fancy when I happened upon it at my favorite beer shop, and so I bought it. I had never tasted a Sahti before, but I was certainly intrigued by the historical relevance of such a brew.

It pours a rather dark red, with a darker head. It smells earthy and herbal, though you can pick up notes of toffee and roasted malts. The flavor proceeds from the smell rather well, balancing the earthy juniper flavors with the roasted and toffee malt characteristics.

This is a rather enjoyable beer and is rather enjoyable in the winter. If you're a dark beer lover or Samuel Adams fan, give this one a shot. You won't be disappointed.

Norse Legend Sahti from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 38.7% out of 100 with 493 ratings