Samuel Adams Porch Rocker
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker
Score:
Ranked #46,226
3.34 | pDev: 17.96%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker
Notes:
Reviews: 276 | Ratings: 1,702
4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours orange reddish with not much head. Has a lemon aroma and taste.mouthfeel is light and kind of fizzy. Aftertaste is of lemons. Outstanding brew, I am sure the beer aholes on ba will pan it. If you put it in a Founders, Burial or any other "in" brewer package it would get 5's. Remember, most of the brewers, beers and probably this site don't exist without Boston Beer Co. And if you ain't down with that, I got two words for ya

2.54/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Reddish color; fast dissipating head; fizzy; the lemon beer flavor is okay but it cloys half way through. My best take on this is novelty; second bottle not required. Sweet lemon seltzer with dash of bitter.

3.06/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Crystal clear Amber with a white head that dissipates quickly and completely. it looks like apple juice, not beer; Nice mild beer smell; mildly carbonated. The flavor is sweetish, fruity, very mild. Not awful, but not great, either.

4.46/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

L: light golden clear with a nice medium lasting head and lace

S: light malt with fruity front end with a hint of sweetness and very clean

T: follows smell, very well balanced with a very clean refreshing finish

M: well rounded light to medium finish on tongue, lingers mildly for great enjoyment

O: A great beer, smooth, refreshing and tastefully done

2.84/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a light straw color with a finger of white head.

From this point on, this offering is not really a beer in the traditional sense. It's citrusy sweet with a touch of "beerness."

Refreshing? Possibly. But, I suppose other malt-ernatives can be considered refreshing. Leinenkugel's seems to have cornered this area of the beer market. Serious brewers should leave that to a subsidiary and focus on making real beer.

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is the last beer in a 24 bottle case I was given of 4 different Sam Adams beers. So far the original has turned out the best (and that's not saying much; I hated it).

Poured into a 12 ounce bar glass. Little to no carbonation. Quickly vanishing head. Smells sweet and malty. Like malt liquor with lemon. Tastes like a malty, lemony soft drink. Even though the lemon tastes more like imitation than real lemon, this is like a 7-up with alcohol.

Jim Koch, I'm giving Porch Rocker a thumbs up because all your other beers suck so badly. For you, this is a miracle. It's actually drinkable.

My favorite beer period... It's more than a summer beer to me, in my area it sells out weekly. If want an old budweiser you will probably hate it, lemon flavor that is really smooth and tart.

3.99/5  rDev +19.5%

This is not technically just beer. It is a radler, which are popular in Germany. Many Germans mix their beer with lemonade, Sprite, Ginger Ale, among many others. My German grandmother always mixed her beers with Sprite. I believe the tradition started as a way to make the beer lighter and more "refreshing." At any rate, it tastes good, even if it isn't strictly a "beer."

2.83/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

First sip? Just plain weirdly sweet...second sip?mild tartness,sorta interesting ..third sip...okay but not a fan.You are either gonna luv it or hate it. I won't be buying it again..but a cupla bottles in a sampler were ok.

3.84/5  rDev +15%

Yet another pretty good seasonal beer by Samuel Adams. For me, I can drink a few Porch Rockers and still feel pretty good. It has that lemonade smell to it which makes it perfect for the summertime. The taste is like lemonade with beer mixed in there. Also has a pretty tart after taste. At first I was not a fan, but grew to like it as I drank it more and more. Goes down how a "spiked" lemonade would normally. Pretty smooth besides the tart. Definitely not something everyone will love, but I like it and will definitely get a few six packs through the summer. Not many restaurants have it, so gotta get it in the stores.

2.89/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This is a pretty good summer beer, it tastes like lemonade with beer splashed in. It's one of those beers though that on goes a long way. When I get a six pack, it usually lasts a couple months, when I drink one I'm not in the mood for another one for days or weeks. It's definitely not for everybody, it's a bit sweet and a bit tart. But a cold one is refreshing on a hot day for sure.

4.67/5  rDev +39.8%

I absolutely love this beer. Its exactly as they advertise... a great summer beer. Great for chillin' on a hot day. Its sweet, lemony, a little tart. Great beer for a hot day with friends.

I like this one just as much as I like Summer Shandy. This is just the Sam Adams version of it, this one strings along in the beer category moreso than the lemonade category. I still feel that this is made to compete with Summer Shandy, it will, you just have to give it time!

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Everyone has a guilty pleasure beer - this might be mine. That corner store 6, 12, or 24 pack you can grab on a hot summer day and crush and won't feel guilty about spilling or leaving half finished on the yard or beach somewhere.

Usually a Jack's Abby 15 pack is my go to for a great value, but on a balls-hot summer day a shandy really hits the spot. Trouble is, most shandy's that see wide distro are pretty ass (looking hard at you, Leinenkugel and Narragansett...)

For me a real German radler is the ultimate summer drink, and this is a passable America try at it. Nowhere near as good as the real deal, but for something I can grab at any store and kill a six pack on the beach for less than 10 bucks it can't be beat. Certainly nothing to savor and go nuts for, but I'm always happy when its back on the shelves, ushering in the start of summer.

2.86/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 Oz bottle poured into a glass
Look - clear golden appearance, couple inch foam head fades rather quick not much lacing
Smell - Doesn't say on the bottle as to whether or not this is brewed with lemon or not. Aroma is basically lemonade. Tart sour wheat. Lemon peel. Strong lemon aroma for sure.
Taste - I gotta be honest, it tastes more like lemon flavor than actual real lemon. Like a cleaning solution. It's not so bad that I won't drink it but this beer is not for me. It's a lot more lemony than it needs to be. Highly carbonated but not prickly. Certainly drinkable in this hot weather. No other discernable tastes other than lemon and some sweet grass/wheat

Overall, not a beer i would like to drink again, if they can fix the taste to make it more natural i will re-visit it.
I give this beer a C

2.6/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Taste: lemon, grapefruit artificial sweetness, slight hop notes. Citrus and grassy nose. Gold, mostly clear with average head and lace. Light to med/light body.

4.08/5  rDev +22.2%

Clear, golden color. Pronounced lemony, citrusy, foamy head. Real smooth drinker. Very refreshing. Almost a beer / lemonade combo and it looks like that's what's intended. Still enough beer going on to please he who imbibes. Though I don't have a rocker, I drank it on my porch on a summer afternoon and I was happy.

1.6/5  rDev -52.1%

Sam Adams Porch Rocker tastes like a cheap malt liquor. It's got that unmistakable, syrupy-sweet fusel alcohol taste but without the extra kick of a high gravity brew. Don't get me wrong, I like a cold Steel Reserve every now and then, but my $2 better get me 40oz instead of a single 12oz glass bottle. I'd recommend passing on this one.

3.37/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Aroma was lemon peel,lemon soda, sweet malt. First sip made me think I was drinking lemon soda, not beer. It's okay, would even have again but it really does taste like lemon soda. Refreshing in a weird way and it is very sweet but I'm a hot summer evening it worked

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a three-finger white head that fades quickly leaving a little lace. Color is crystal clear amber. Light bodied and medium carbonation. Nose is light lemon and flavor follows with same. Easy session beer. Part of mixed 6-pak $9.99, 12 oz bottle from Shaw's Supermarket Concord. NH.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Light colored brew with a white head. Lemon sweetness on the nose of this brew, not much else. Holy smokes. I don’t know if I can finish this one. It’s sweet and has a malt finish. Feel is like a soda pop, fizzy. Um no...

4.18/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Love this beer! Too many shandys are over-the-top sweet. Porch Rocker lemony flavor surfaces gradually in the after taste and builds to a beautiful crisp crescendo. The citrus is intertwined gracefully with the lager. For me this is the archetypal great summer beer.

3.99/5  rDev +19.5%

I love this beer, the best radler ever made. Only problem is from year to year, the recipe will change slightly. Tried it the 1st time in 2014, last year in 2017 not the best recipe. This year 2018 best ever.

3.78/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Perfect hot summer day beer! As the name implies - sitting on the porch rockin away. Love the lemonade flavor this has to it, super drinkable! Always one of my summer favorites.

3.05/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a thin walled tumbler.
L - Hazy Yellow with a thin white head and large bubbles slowly streaming up from the bottom of the glass.
S - Slightly malty, with a musty citrus smell.
T - More of the same.
F - pretty much what you'd expect. Light bodied with medium carbonation.
O - Not really a big fan. I'm sure this beer was part of the Sam Adams Summer Collection. It's not the worst thing, but I'd never buy it on it own and its usually the last of the Summer Sampler to be drunk at my house.

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 76 out of 100 with 1702 ratings