Samuel Adams Porch Rocker | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

Added by TMoney2591 on 05-19-2012

3.3

Ratings: 1,576 |  Reviews: 240

1.75/5  rDev -47%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Tasted terrible. Wanted to spit it out.

1.78/5  rDev -46.1%

Third bottle poured into a De Koninck chalice. I have also tried it straight from the bottle, as well as in a pint glass.

Appearance - A very saturated urine-yellow. Bubbly with less than impressive carbonation. Transparent with the straight look that someone whizzed in a glass. I suppose there is a bit of a sunburnt straw look to it as well.

Smell - Very light citrus and of course, lemon. A very faint watered down malt note. The scent of lemon cleaning supplies overwhelms all other smells.

Taste - As I said at the top, this is my third time trying this beer - As well as my third time being slightly dissapointed with it. You are first greeted with a bit of a sour lemonade taste that appears refreshing in the beginning. Unfortunately, that cleaning supply smell transfers over a bit to the taste. Light citrus sparkles on your tongue, but fades quickly into the same-old typical malt you taste in every other Samuel Adams beer out there. Light? Yes. Refreshing? Only when you can prevent cringing when the chemical taste finds you randomly.

Mouthfeel - As explained above, the chemical taste can really get to you. The taste of the beer itself isn't bad, but it is when I leave it in my mouth that I become appalled.

Overall - Another disappointing 2012 seasonal from Samuel Adams this year. To be honest, I loved the seasonals right up until last years Oktoberfest. I'm not sure what happened, whether to blame a taste-change or the brewery, but each Samuel Adams I try is filled with an unbalanced mixture of hops and malt. The lemon in this tastes very unnatural. I was disappointed with the Whitewater IPA this year as well, and Noble Pils hasn't tasted the same to me either. I will not be purchasing this again. It sits low in the fruit/vegetable beer category, and I would much rather drink a Leinenkugels Summer Shandy when it comes to a refreshing summer drink spiced with lemon.

1.8/5  rDev -45.5%

I love Sam Adams but this beer was not to my liking. Very sweet, lemony taste too sweet for a beer, it was as if I was drinking a Bud Light Lime.

If you like the lemony taste, drink the Summer Ale. The Summer Ale this year I have found to be particularly refreshing. The Porch Rocker just didn't cut it for me.

1.91/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Surprisingly bad.
Reminiscent of cheap beer vomit with an aftertaste of lemon.
Hints of effort do shine through, though its veiled by the taste of average beer with a modicum of metallic vomit and a general feeling of disappointment. Crisp carbonation can hide some of the terrible flavor if its cold enough.

Far from being something I'd drink again, but not so terrible I would kill myself.

1.93/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Driest shandy ever

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)