Samuel Adams Porch Rocker | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
Read the review
Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

1.25/5  rDev -62.2%

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

4.75/5  rDev +43.5%

3.07/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a nice summer beer. Its appearance is very nice, like any medium toned or summer beer with a white head of no real distinction. Of course, you don't drink the looks.
The taste and smell is distinctly lemonade, which is predictable since they add it into the beer. Not a shandy by two whoops and a whirl, which works to its credit. This is as advertised - refreshing. I can easily imagine it as more so on a hot summer day.
If you are not a fan of fruit beer, this won't change you. It's too much lemon to be on the hefewiezen level of citrus or even pale or india pales. More even than a s beer with a lemon wedge. Still, as I mentioned, the lemon is not as in your face as a shandy. If you have a friend who likes those hard cider things and hard lemonade, this may bridge the gap towards beer for them.
Drink beer, be happy!
Cheers!

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

3.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked a single bottle of this up in Totowa recently, not even realizing that this was a Fruit/Vegetable beer. While this was a bit heavier than a Summer Shandy, the feel of lemon was strong here with the tartness being scaled back a bit though. It wasn't a bad beer so much as it didn't seem that much different than a Helles Lager, but the added citrus didn't make this much "brighter" at all.

The pour was the best aspect to this beer, as the frothy head, golden hue, and soda-like carbonation all around the edge of my pint glass combined for a pleasing look. The aroma was that of a lemon/lime soda and so was the taste, with some sugar thrown in and just the lightest of malt too. The carbonation was present from start to finish and this had a bit of grain in the midst of the wet citrus and lemon zest as well. Not much to the aftertaste except for a syrupy mouthfeel that lingered for a bit but none of the fruit flavors lasted as long as I had hoped.

Summer beers? Look no further. I didn't even feel the alcohol in this and I could have downed a bunch in a sitting had I had that many around. Maybe some wheat would have livened this up a bit but for now, this is worth a go once just to see what else is possible in the vast array of Sam Adams products currently on the shelf. Not likely to disappoint as long as your expectations aren't terribly high.

3.41/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Much better the 2nd time around. First time I tried this beer, I was not a fan. A friend left a few in my fridge over the weekend, so I thought I'd give it another shot. Much better this time.

A - Pretty average. Dark yellow, good amount of carbonation. Almost no head.

S - A typical SA smell, to a lesser extent. Hops, and some lemon. Really not much else.

T - Given the situation, good. When I was sipping this beer for the first time, I wasn't a fan. But in the situation of my 2nd sampling (being very thirsty on a hot day), the beer tasted pretty good. It's still a bit too "light" for me, but the taste isn't bad. Wheat very prevelant, with just a tad of hops. The lemonade mixture is decent. Not overpoweringly sweet, nor does it totally take away the taste of the beer.

F - On a hot day when you're thirsty, it's solid. Light, crisp, refreshing, light on the stomach.

O - Really depends on the situation. This will never be a beer I'll sip when I'm in the mood for quality, strong tasting brew. But on a hot day, or any other time your thirst calls for a beer refreshment, I can see myself going for one of these. I guess to summerize, this beer is good for what it is.

4.5/5  rDev +36%

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)